The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 September 2019, 08:44 AM   #1
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Vintage Bezel Inserts

I realize that there are no definitive answers as to what bezel insert was used during what years, but is there a general consensus as to the time periods for the various versions?

From what I understand, Mk I-III are considered the "fat font" inserts and Mk IV and onward are considered non-fat font. I think many here are aware of the WatchProSite webpage on the topic (https://www.watchprosite.com/rolex/r...49983.5769208/). That page describes and compares the various bezel inserts. What is confusing is that page states both of the following:

(Regarding Mk I-III): "you can also assume that the period late 50's through maybe 1961 could be mk1 and then 1961-63/64 as the MK2 period and then from the 1965 period onward to be the early MK3 variety"

(Regarding Mk II): "I imagine this one to have been fixed on the 5512, 5513's through the late 1960 up to early 1970. It was probably also the model you would have found on the 1680 "Red Subs"."

These two statements are contradictory. Anyone have better information as to the time periods for Mk I, II, and III? I am most curious as to what insert was typically installed on the early red subs.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 02:06 PM   #2
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Vintage Bezel Inserts

For a long time collectors agreed that the kissing 40 was designated as mark 1, then long five as mark 2 and the rest of the fat font as mark 3 (although there are several variations, go figure). Then someone, I forgot whom from the other site, pointed out that mark 1 n 3 r actually the same font but due to worn pad causing some to be fatter than others. This makes sense if u study the fonts carefully, mark 1 n 3 do have the same characteristics. So why the fatter mark 1 r seen more on older watches. My speculation is that Rolex printed a bunch of these, beginning with a crisp font mark 3, then progressively getting fatter near the end of production. I assume Rolex would accumulate n store the inserts as most factory would with stacking the earliest batch at the bottom and latest batch on top. So naturally they would use the fattest font first hence seen more on older watches.

Personally I would rank skinny 4 as mark 1, long 5 as mark 2, and the serif font including the kissing 40 as mark 3, and soft 4 as mark 4.

For meter first red sub, most would accept either long 5 or kissing 40(or very close to kissing) as correct.

Of course no one knows for sure except Rolex.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote