The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2020, 01:52 PM   #61
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

What exactly is a ‘dress watch’? The Cellini range have screw-down crowns, 5atm, and the same rugged, shock-proof movement as the standard Rolex range. In practice they are a perfectly durable ,long-term, watch. I’ve often worn one and think they are rather fine.
I doubt that any of the rivals have the robust usability of the Cellini. But this forum has always been blinkered about the range, no chance of a fair hearing.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 01:55 PM   #62
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

Just saw one in the counter at my AD this weekend, and was impressed by it in the flesh, as well. Sharp looking watch...I just think I go a different direction if I'm in the market for this type of watch.
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 02:13 PM   #63
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
I love this my moonphase but haven't worn during Covid. I miss it !!!
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 02:39 PM   #64
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfortino View Post
One of my favorites....one of my sons insisted on taking a “watch picture” together with this one too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great pic! I look forward to sharing watches with my kids...I hope they enjoy it!

That said, am I crazy or is that watch enormous?
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 02:54 PM   #65
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
Great pic! I look forward to sharing watches with my kids...I hope they enjoy it!

That said, am I crazy or is that watch enormous?
It’s 39mm...so about the same size as the gmts and Daytonas. Perhaps because of the strap, it does feel a bit thick but when I’ve seen it at my ad, like others here, I’ve found it amazing.
Old 16 September 2020, 03:04 PM   #66
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

They are not popular because the dress watch style is not casual or "everyday" enough for people.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 04:09 PM   #67
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Now if it featured an annual calendar and sapphire case back... that would be dope.

Pardon the lousy mock up. Pretty sure Rolex won't be reissuing the 6062 anytime soon.
Old 16 September 2020, 11:09 PM   #68
guanxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
Now if it featured an annual calendar and sapphire case back... that would be dope.

Pardon the lousy mock up. Pretty sure Rolex won't be reissuing the 6062 anytime soon.

Now you’re talking!!!
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 11:51 PM   #69
frtorres87
"TRF" Member

i honestly love this watch, if it was a little less expensive i'd jump on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
frtorres87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 01:27 AM   #70
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
The Cellini is not bad at all. But a bit overpriced. For a dress watch, I would go VC Traditionnelle.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 02:16 AM   #71
"TRF" Member

ROLEX:

Please Please Please make a Yellow Gold Cellini.
Simple, beautiful, and a nice rich dark brown band, and a parchment dial.

I was considering dipping an everose into 18k gold, but that will never work.
Maybe the case, but the dial and indices and hands and all that..ugh. Nope

Yellow Gold Cellini !! Take my money !
2807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 02:27 AM   #72
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfortino View Post
One of my favorites....one of my sons insisted on taking a “watch picture” together with this one too!

As for the leather band, what has been your experience with comfort and durability? How does it stand up to everyday wear, resist scuffs, sweat, water spots, etc.? And, I'm assuming it's easy to source from an AD to replace when needed? Thanks
Old 17 September 2020, 02:39 AM   #73
flytier
Banned

I am one that likes the Cellini

lineup of watches. Always wondered how they would do in stainless steel. I don't think it would cheapen the line, there are plenty of stainless dress watches out there.
flytier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 04:05 AM   #74
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Stunning watch. First time I've seen that particular model.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 04:17 AM   #75
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

I like the watch, but I have no clue how to read that moonphase... would someone care to elaborate on that?

ddaly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 05:19 AM   #76
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
I tried it on at my AD and loved it; beautiful, classic lines of the dial and case and top notch Rolex workmanship. My casual semi-retired lifestyle doesn't suit a dress watch, but if it did I'd own it.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 05:18 PM   #77
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
I think Cellini’s are an acquired taste

Use to dislike them but start to like them more.

One of my friends just got one. The more I look at it the more i like it.

Old 17 September 2020, 08:08 PM   #78
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
I like the Cellini range and been a long time admirer however as I don't consider them to be an everyday watch (for me) I couldn't justify the cost of purchasing one.
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 03:41 AM   #79
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
I love the Cellini range. There are plenty of dress watches which aren't ultra slim. The problem the Cellini range has it most customers who wants a dress piece looks at ALS, Patek, Vacheron, Breguet, Piaget etc.
Old 20 September 2020, 06:04 PM   #80
BOA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaly12 View Post
I like the watch, but I have no clue how to read that moonphase... would someone care to elaborate on that?

Simple: just as a second hand rotates the dial once every sixty seconds, the meteorite moon is set at 12 o'clock high when the moon is full and will have completed one full rotation when the moon comes full again in about 28 days. The new moon blank circle is at 6 o'clock when the full moon is at 12, and when the blank circle of the new moon rotates to the 12 o'clock position, it is a new moon. From 12 to 6 then, the meteorite moon wanes to a new moon, and from 6 to 12, the meteorite moon waxes to full.

You won't see a change in phases in the meteorite disc, rather you go by what you see like telling time. Like any clock, the time of the moon is its phases. The quarter moons are at 3 and 9, and the disc is designed to rotate once every complete moon cycle. Hope this helps. There are videos that show how to set it.
BOA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 09:52 PM   #81
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOA View Post
Simple: just as a second hand rotates the dial once every sixty seconds, the meteorite moon is set at 12 o'clock high when the moon is full and will have completed one full rotation when the moon comes full again in about 28 days. The new moon blank circle is at 6 o'clock when the full moon is at 12, and when the blank circle of the new moon rotates to the 12 o'clock position, it is a new moon. From 12 to 6 then, the meteorite moon wanes to a new moon, and from 6 to 12, the meteorite moon waxes to full.

You won't see a change in phases in the meteorite disc, rather you go by what you see like telling time. Like any clock, the time of the moon is its phases. The quarter moons are at 3 and 9, and the disc is designed to rotate once every complete moon cycle. Hope this helps. There are videos that show how to set it.
Or to simply it further, the part of the moon which is displayed on the dial is how full the moon is in the sky.

Half moon on dial = Half moon in sky etc

If set correctly they are astronomically accurate for 122 years.
Old 21 September 2020, 09:51 AM   #82
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOA View Post

Thanks for the explanation!! That makes sense, but I think a more traditional half moon style aperture is so much more intuitive. I own zero moonphase watches... I wonder if people actually use the complication, especially on a dress watch that’s worn infrequently.

ddaly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:05 AM   #83
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
It is a beautiful watch; however, I think the YG JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon is more attractive and it is substantially less expensive.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 12:17 PM   #84
2x4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
Wish i had a lifestyle that suited a Cellini, i just don’t seeing working with my steel toe boots, jeans and truck. 😂
GMT II
2x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:42 PM   #85
Cshull
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
If this was at a 10-14k price point it would be a home run. I would love to see a stainless version in that price range.

Aah, but that is the beauty of the Cellini line- you can actually buy those used at a significant discount. I picked up a Cellini dual time on this forum for under $12k and it looked brand new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cshull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 04:57 PM   #86
Kenny2K
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Looks very nice but wouldn’t buy one as it doesn’t fit my style
Kenny2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 07:53 PM   #87
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Great looking, although slightly busy dial. I have never seen a pointer date with a counter balance before.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 10:21 PM   #88
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
These were hot on TRF when they first came out. I think they're great looking watches, and the kind of watch that folks should consider when they are grousing about gray market prices of TRF darlings. The two things I don't like about this watch as a dress watch option are:

1) the moon phase is so counter-intuitive to me. Why make a simple watch with a date and moon phase where the moon phase is so complicated to read that you need a long paragraph to learn how to interpret it?

2) in a dress watch, I would like a clear caseback.
Old 23 September 2020, 04:23 PM   #89
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
These were hot on TRF when they first came out. I think they're great looking watches, and the kind of watch that folks should consider when they are grousing about gray market prices of TRF darlings. The two things I don't like about this watch as a dress watch option are:

1) the moon phase is so counter-intuitive to me. Why make a simple watch with a date and moon phase where the moon phase is so complicated to read that you need a long paragraph to learn how to interpret it?

2) in a dress watch, I would like a clear caseback.
You don't need to buy the moon phase version, they offer 3 other simpler variants without.

Also the current Patek Calatrava 5196 does not have an exhibition case back either which is the quintessential dress watch. Although I agree it would be nice to see a clear case back.
Old 8 October 2020, 03:15 AM   #90
"TRF" Member

Seeking a little picture help....

Could someone please post a few pics of a Cellini Time, or Cellini Date, everose with white/silver dial, next to a yellow gold ring??

I am really wanting a Cellini, but the everose only option against my yellow gold ring concerns me.

None at AD for me to compare myself... and feels ridiculous to order one just to compare it to yellow gold ring.

I have a fairly large yellow gold ring on right hand, and watch will be on left wrist. I am hoping the blend looks nice, and does not clash. Need to see it before I buy/order a Cellini.

Looking for pics of Everose Cellini Time, or Cellini Date, with white/silve dial, and a yellow gold ring to compare !

Thanks folks.
2807 is offline   Reply With Quote