The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 September 2020, 02:25 AM   #31
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
You can get one from a trusted seller (aka "actual distributor") and have it in your hands within 2 days. There's one available right now at $27k.
Old 24 September 2020, 03:13 AM   #32
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
WHOA! Stolen? How did you discover that? Story please!

My bad - did not mean the watch I bought was a stolen one. Takuya does not sell stolen property. I am sorry for that ambiguity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
I think he means. His watch was stolen from him. Not that he bought a stolen watch.

Yes, thanks for helping - stolen in a burglary. I see how my poor sentence structure was ambiguous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 03:24 AM   #33
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspringer View Post
Just my 2 cents - I visit my AD frequently just to stop in, say hi, and "build the relationship" as many talk about on this site. Do i think its completely unnecessary? Yes, but we live in some strange times. Full disclosure, i have purchased a DJ41 fluted, black dial and the new BLNR from this AD.

My AD will often call me to check out watches, even if its already allocated, just so i can see them in the metal. We have this sort of relationship. For as good a relationship as i think we have, he has never once called me to see a ceramic daytona in the metal. In fact, the only person i have ever seen wearing one in person is the owner of the shop's wife. The sales manager i work with calls the white face specifically "the unicorn" as he states they only get in maybe 2 a year. The minimum spend with my AD is $50k on non-rolex in order to even be considered to purchase the white dial daytona (the shop sells jewelry and watches).

So to be frank, just because you have purchased 2 Rolex's previously from an AD doesn't mean that you'll ever be able to source a Daytona (especially if they weren't full PM watches). If he/she sold you anything desirable in SS then they've likely already done you the favor. The unfortunate reality of most of our situations is that the waiting list will continue to be years upon years and that watch will be discontinued before any of us "normal" people have the chance to purchase one. On top of that, you'll be jumped by someone coming in and dropping tons and tons of money on other items in order to purchase the Daytona at MSRP. The truth is sadly there is no list for the Daytona. Money talks.

If you really want to avoid the premium of going "grey" than i suggest making your AD a bundle offer where you purchase either jewelry or a full PM piece along with the Daytona. Be steadfast in holding your position to purchase the Daytona though - don't get stuck buying a DD now for a Daytona later. The Daytona may never come. Good Luck

++1. All great points.
Posh Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 03:28 AM   #34
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

I got my Daytona C from grey, couple of years ago.

I am very happy with that decision, as I've enjoyed this timepiece like no other. Hands down the best timepiece I've ever owned. I love the Daytona so much, that I am actually thinking about getting a second Daytona. lol

It really depends if you want a Daytona, out of hype / collection mindset, or if you want one because you truly find it a beautiful timepiece that you intend to wear very often.

If it is latter, I recommend you pay up and go grey. Sure, you will pay a premium, but you can justify the premium if you have the conviction that this watch is a keeper for lifetime.

I paid $18k for my Daytona from grey. At the time I thought I was over paying, but I bought it anyway, because I knew I would enjoy it for many, many years. What is paying $5-8k over MSRP, in the grand scheme of things, if you enjoy it for years.

At least that's how I think about it.
Posh Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 03:51 AM   #35
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
For everyone that thinks the AD games are crazy or the grey market is nuts just flip the logic around. Think of a good reason of why the AD should give you a 10k present. They are selling you a watch that much below its market value so really just gifting you value. If you can't think of a reason why you above the next guy then how do you expect them to?

If it was limitless gifts to give then sure, relationship, future, customer service, they have your business bla bla would work but they have maybe 8-16 10k gifts to give and a lot more 5k gifts in the form of GMT's or now the 2020 releases.

Lists don't generate revenue. There is mass demand for the watches trading above MSRP so selling those is not the hard part. The hard part is the other watches and client purchasing those or in discussed bulk deals or not are helping out the AD, isn't it then logical that the AD show's those customers more appreciation with their in demand models.

Not saying I am happy with the current situation nor do I really participate in the new watch game. Watches have a new value right now and everyone refusing to buy grey are basically just not valuing the watches at the price the market is. All the reasons stating people only want to buy at an AD, or I don't support the grey market come down to that same conclusion. At some point the market will come back to equilibrium levels closer to retail prices but whether thats in my life time is still to be seen.

Gluck to all of you waiting for 116500's!
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 04:00 AM   #36
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
What if I tell you that watch goes to someone that spend a lot more than you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 04:19 AM   #37
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by m32 View Post
Backstory: So I purchased three rolexes (two from a Rolex dealer and one from Takuya) as a present for my brothers and I for Christmas of December 2017 (Thread here).

I was very fortunate to have been able to source a Batman at the time and I've since fallen in love with it (not only b/c it's a Rolex but the emotional connection I have with it). Shortly after, I reached out to the same dealer where I purchased two from and asked to be put on the wait list for a SS Daytona (white) b/c I wanted to start building my collection. Unfortunately, there was some mix up and when I checked in with them yesterday and found out I was never on the wait list

I know these are incredibly hard to find and the wait list is long. I don't mind waiting (again) but I just want a real chance of acquiring one.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can avoid another 2-3 year wait only to realize my wait has been futile? Do I need to put a deposit down first?

Thanks all!

Edwin
White Daytona’s are extremely difficult to get. You’ll need to go grey market or pick another model.

Your chances of getting one at mrsp (even if you’re happy to wait) are slim. There is always a “bigger fish” waiting on a Daytona and they’ll skip the lines
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 04:33 AM   #38
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
I say stay with that AD if you're willing to wait. Stay in touch and keep checking in every 1-2 months. Holidays are around the corner and they may have an extra piece and may surprise you. Good luck!

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 04:40 AM   #39
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

Unfortunately, there was some mix up and when I checked in with them yesterday and found out I was never on the wait list
There is no mix up.You were never on "the list " .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 04:51 AM   #40
realtimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
If it’s worth the time then it’s worth the wait. You’ll definitely find one if you’re patient. Goodluck!!!
realtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 05:00 AM   #41
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Agreed, good luck. You’ll get there my friend.
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 05:17 AM   #42
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXster View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble ... but your SA purposely not put you on his list for a Daytona. Now, he'll just keep telling you that you are on the list with no timeline. I rather have a SA telling me, sorry you won't be on the list.

If I was a SA, here would be my Daytona list to sell to:
1) Greys - repeat business, they also will bundle with lots of non moving models
2) Whales - repeat business, they also buy jewelry, ladies and PM models
3) Family
4) Friends
5) Someone with 1-2 purchases - need to bundle with a slow moving model or manager will not approve it. I know customer don't want to bundle, so better for me not to offer and piss off this customer. Customer might still buy something once in awhile. If not, no big loss.
6) Reg Joe with no purchases - zero chance for Daytona, unless bulk purchase or a crazy bundle

I sound like a real bad sales person, I guess it's only normal trying to maximize sales.
100% accurate.

Should be an auto response in any thread questioning why I am or am not getting the hot” Rolex I really want.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 06:46 AM   #43
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble ... but your SA purposely not put you on his list for a Daytona. Now, he'll just keep telling you that you are on the list with no timeline. I rather have a SA telling me, sorry you won't be on the list.

1) Greys - repeat business, they also will bundle with lots of non moving models
3) Family
4) Friends
5) Someone with 1-2 purchases - need to bundle with a slow moving model or manager will not approve it. I know customer don't want to bundle, so better for me not to offer and piss off this customer. Customer might still buy something once in awhile. If not, no big loss.
6) Reg Joe with no purchases - zero chance for Daytona, unless bulk purchase or a crazy bundle

I sound like a real bad sales person, I guess it's only normal trying to maximize sales.

Old 24 September 2020, 06:54 AM   #44
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I truly hope you land a Daytona OP.

Lots of sage advice, suggestions and reality checks above
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 07:19 AM   #45
m32
"TRF" Member

Quote:

3) Family
4) Friends

I appreciate everyone's advice, although heart breaking

Rolexster, thanks for the reality check. Although it may seem highly improbable (and probrably is) that I will get one while in-line, I'm going to keep trying. Thanks all for your time... the journey continues!

Edwin
m32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 07:23 AM   #46
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Disappointing news on my journey for a Daytona...

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's advice, although heart breaking

Rolexster, thanks for the reality check. Although it may seem highly improbable (and probrably is) that I will get one while in-line, I'm going to keep trying. Thanks all for your time... the journey continues!

Edwin

Edwin, good luck to you. Part of the fun is the chase. Ignore the naysayers. You’ll get there. Remember these words. A.
Old 24 September 2020, 07:26 AM   #47
m32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.cicollo View Post
Edwin, good luck to you. Part of the fun is the chase. Ignore the naysayers. You’ll get there. Remember these words. A.
Appreciate the encouragement Alex. I was on a similar quest to find my childhood dream car (at an affordable price) earlier this year. Lots of naysayers but landed one within a few weeks of my posting. I hope the same thing happens here

Edwin
m32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 07:29 AM   #48
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:

3) Family

4) Friends

Unfortunately OP this is the case. You just dont know unless you are in the know. You'll learn alot here from the forum members about the watch game.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 07:33 AM   #49
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

I haven’t read through all the replies here.

My recommendation would be to politely get back onto the waitlist, but also continue to (politely) highlight that you were previously in it, but that an error removed you (or whatever the details are).

This may or may not help depending on how sympathetic the AD is to the wait list mix up

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 07:38 AM   #50
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Appreciate the encouragement Alex. I was on a similar quest to find my childhood dream car (at an affordable price) earlier this year. Lots of naysayers but landed one within a few weeks of my posting. I hope the same thing happens here

Edwin

Exactly right. Keep trying. The watch is still in production and will be for many years. Chin up.
Old 24 September 2020, 07:40 AM   #51
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
My bad - did not mean the watch I bought was a stolen one. Takuya does not sell stolen property. I am sorry for that ambiguity.

Yes, thanks for helping - stolen in a burglary. I see how my poor sentence structure was ambiguous.

Ah!!! My fault.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 07:49 AM   #52
PaulFL
"TRF" Member

Not to hijack your thread but why do so many people keep pushing buying from gray dealers? Every single thread is full of these type of replies. I am fairly certain all of us know that is one option, and if the OP wanted to buy gray he would have already.

There are still good ADs out there, I was offered a couple of SS models (granted not a Daytona) recently after only having purchased a DJ several years ago, so it's still possible if they believe you are not a flipper.
PaulFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 08:00 AM   #53
Journeyforce
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116000
m32

Why don't you talk to Takuya about your Daytona issue. You have bought from him before, tell him what happened and your dream of owning a Daytona, perhaps he might cut you a deal on a Daytona. I understand your reluctance but Takuya makes a goodly amount of money, he is not going to be standing in the dole line because he gave you a discount on a Daytona. He got a lot of irons in the fire. Worst he can say is no and he is not going to get mad at you for asking.

Of course should you decide to give up the hunt for a Daytona but want a high quality chronograph, look at the Zenith El Primero line. The El Primero is a well regarded watch line. Even Rolex believes that the El Primero is a great watch. Rolex came knocking to Zenith and asked to buy a huge amount of Zenith El Primero Calibre 400 movements so they could make an automatic Daytona

Granted Rolex very heavily modified the movement and it was only about 50% Zenith but still, it was a great movement.

Rolex clearly knew the best when they saw it and the El Primero movement was the best.
Journeyforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 08:05 AM   #54
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFL View Post
Not to hijack your thread but why do so many people keep pushing buying from gray dealers? Every single thread is full of these type of replies. I am fairly certain all of us know that is one option, and if the OP wanted to buy gray he would have already.

There are still good ADs out there, I was offered a couple of SS models (granted not a Daytona) recently after only having purchased a DJ several years ago, so it's still possible if they believe you are not a flipper.

It’s not a hijack - the OP already considered the grey dealer option and doesn’t want to pay the uplifted price. He’s will to stick with AD.

The reasons I and others mention it is only because people who want it now must go the grey route.

Remember going with an AD that requires a purchase in advance (sort of a bundle in “a promise for a promise” way) will cost twice as much in today’s dollars to get the Watch you want.

Old 24 September 2020, 08:11 AM   #55
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyforce View Post

Why don't you talk to Takuya about your Daytona issue. You have bought from him before, tell him what happened and your dream of owning a Daytona, perhaps he might cut you a deal on a Daytona. I understand your reluctance but Takuya makes a goodly amount of money, he is not going to be standing in the dole line because he gave you a discount on a Daytona. He got a lot of irons in the fire. Worst he can say is no and he is not going to get mad at you for asking.

I think OP doesn’t want to get his Daytona by imposing his situation on another person’s livelihood and I respect that greatly.

Old 24 September 2020, 08:11 AM   #56
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Dont know the situation in US, but getting a DaytonaC from an AD in Europe is zero chance without “biting the bullet”
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote