The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 August 2019, 02:18 PM   #1
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
Why do I want a ceramic case?

What are the pro/con of a watch with a ceramic case. Lighter, more durable, add color, or is it just a fad?
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 03:52 PM   #2
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I have a Panerai 292 which is full ceramic case and love it. Deep rich matte black. Very durable with zero fingerprints. Also have a Bell Ross BR 0394. Same deal.

Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 05:00 PM   #3
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I always thought ceramic watches were akin to g-shocks and passed. However I tried the Apollo 8 on and fell in love. It’s light, looks great, is different to my other watches and interestingly gets most of the wrist time these days.

I don’t think it’s a fad. It’s a proper piece of kit and finished just like a steel watch. Omega do them very well albeit they are quite expensive.

They wear smaller than their dimensions so don’t be put off by the size (especially the Apollo which is thinner due to the manual movement).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 08:44 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned ceramic cases from several manufactures and really like the Omega options. I think the watches do wear smaller in ceramic and with almost no case weight it will take some getting use to it. I have a friend that has a DSOTM and pairs it with various OEM NATO's. A great look every time and has me paying attention to the pre-owned market for the right deal on one or a GSOTM. We will see.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 01:49 AM   #5
Hands90
"TRF" Member

- Ceramic cases can "chip"
- We do not know how they will hold up over time. We know how well SS holds up so why change it.
- They are over priced for what you are getting
- All ceramic cases are not equal. Some are better than others.
- A lug could literally break off and destroy the watch

...I still want a DSOTM or a ceramic TopGun (IWC)
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 02:48 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

These make the ultimate “black watch”. As much as I love ceramic, it has a flaw of being fragile in areas if not designed correctly. It also comes with the risk of shattering if dropped. You have to weigh out if these risks are relevant. The positives outweigh the negatives to me like the fact that ceramic doesn’t transmit heat/cold to the wrist. It is also hypoallergenic and ultra light weight. If you want a black watch then this is the only way to go as DLC will looked whipped with even minimal abuse. Ceramic has been out awhile now and it’s price can be expensive as to how it is manufactured. Not all ceramic is created equal and we use the generic “ceramic” term very loosely. There is a lot that goes into making a “quality” ceramic watch case. SS by comparison is easy and cheap to work with.

I use a B&R Ceramic military as my hunting and tactical watch. I put this watch through hell and it doesn’t show a mark. There are even better and significantly more advanced materials replacing ceramic. They give all the advantages of ceramic with the toughness of titanium. Panerai has their proprietary “Carbotech” that is on another level than ceramic and I personally have tested and own one. It is by far the toughest “big black watch” material but it comes at a high price tag. AP has their own ceramic replacement material “forged carbon”. I think it is a step behind the newer Carbotech.

Panerai Pam 661 Carbotech. I have banged this watch off a bridge pier on a dive and not a mark. It was hard enough that if I was wearing a Sub with a ceramic bezel, I would have surfaced just to see how bad the inevitable damage would have been.

Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 06:36 AM   #7
Hands90
"TRF" Member

/\ The PAM with the blue sec hand is breath taking.
I'd like to have that model.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 07:37 AM   #8
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
/\ The PAM with the blue sec hand is breath taking.
I'd like to have that model.
It’s part of the new Carbotech line with the new 9010 movement. It’s the ultimate big black dive watch as a complete package from the rose gold hands/markers, excellent new in-house movement and exotic Carbotech material. Like wearing a flat black LaFerrari on the wrist.
The twin barrel movement will satisfy even the most picky movement snob. Panerai just crushed it with the cal.9010.
It is a game changer in my collection and a significant advancement in what a automatic dive watch can be.

Typical ultra bright and long lasting lume from Panerai.

Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:16 AM   #9
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
I've got the Omega Big Blue. I didn't buy expressly for the ceramic, but I wanted a blue watch. That was a primary driver for me. And I know many don't like the color, but I do. And I bought if for myself. Now, moving away from colors, I love that it doesn't scratch. I suspect breakage is always a possibility, but I'll take that risk. I've hit it a couple of times already and no issues.. none. Also, my BB wears pretty light for such a sized watch. I've not weighed it to determine how light/heavy it really is though. I wonder how it compares to a lighter metal?

Finally, for me, it is currently a more unique material for uses in a watch. That lights a fire for me too.

Lots of factors in watch are subjective, so choice of material can be added to such a list. However, I do think ceramic's durability is a plus, in-spite of major failure fears by some.
Old 13 August 2019, 04:37 AM   #10
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Because they are cool.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:39 PM   #11
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
I have the IWC 389001 ceramic chrono. In the last 3.5 years I have knocked it into many door handles and metal hand rails. The marks left on the watch are not scratches on the ceramic. They are metal removed from the object by the watch. The ceramic material is seriously resilient to wear and tear. Of course there is the concern of dropping it on a tiled surface, which of course could result in a disaster. That is why it is on a delpoyant and I always put it on and off over carpet or wooden floors if possible. However I suspect it would survive most drops better than steel.

The best bit is it is remarkably stealthy. Almost no one suspects I am wearing an expensive timepiece, except me. I love this thing and it is almost my beater, being my daily wear > 5 days a week.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 09:20 PM   #12
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
- Ceramic cases can "chip"
- We do not know how they will hold up over time. We know how well SS holds up so why change it.
- They are over priced for what you are getting
- All ceramic cases are not equal. Some are better than others.
- A lug could literally break off and destroy the watch

...I still want a DSOTM or a ceramic TopGun (IWC)
Can't tell if this is sarcasm.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 01:43 AM   #13
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
I totally want one. I handled a few at a Boutique and was smitten.

The look and feel, the brushed surface againstthe polished. Real nice.

I felt up the Big Brown and the Deep black. The ceramic case along with the ceramic dial and the incredible detail under the crystal, these watches are fantastic. The rubber straps with deployant clasp is killer too. The clasp might be ceramic also, I can't remember.

I want one.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 04:36 PM   #14
Bruin20
"TRF" Member

Currently in the market for ceramic as well. Thinking about the top gun automatic IWC that is just coming out now.

Mainly interested in the lighter weight which is also drawing me towards the titanium model which can be had for a bit cheaper now but will eventually be scratched up over time.
Bruin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 10:29 PM   #15
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrocop View Post
What are the pro/con of a watch with a ceramic case. Lighter, more durable, add color, or is it just a fad?

Don't drop that scratch proof, slick looking ceramic watch brother!
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote