The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 August 2019, 05:03 PM   #1
cryo75
"TRF" Member

Looking for my first Rolex... suggestions?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and to the Rolex world.

I'm looking at purchasing my first Rolex. I'm currently interested in the Air-King Ref. 14000 in steel with blue dial from 2003, including original box and papers, and going for about 3900€.

Should I go for this one or should I check out other references?

Also, if Rolex watches appreciate over time, why does an Air-King ref. 116900 from 2016 costs 5500€ when a new one from 2019 costs 1k more? Shouldn't the older watches appreciate more in value?

Are there specifics to look out when comparing watches and their appreciation?

Thanks,
C
cryo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 07:29 AM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Air-Kings are cool watches, but they won't appreciate in value like other Rolex sports models, like Subs, GMTs and Daytonas. Also, the ones you're looking at are not vintage. They're more in the "classic" category.

That said, 3,900 Euros sounds high, although European prices are higher, of course. I'd check out the sales section here.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 09:51 AM   #3
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryo75 View Post
Should I go for this one or should I check out other references?

Also, if Rolex watches appreciate over time, why does an Air-King ref. 116900 from 2016 costs 5500€ when a new one from 2019 costs 1k more? Shouldn't the older watches appreciate more in value?

Are there specifics to look out when comparing watches and their appreciation?
There are endless specifics to learn about vintage Rolexes - You could, literally, spend the rest of your life learning. In the 80s, the “hot” collectible vintage Rolexes were the gold bubbleback models. Today, it is the steel tool/professional models like Daytonas, GMTs and Subs. What it will be in another 20-30 years, no one knows. Maybe by then, all wristwatches will be out of fashion! For 99.9% of us, it is not a good idea to view any watch mainly as an investment (unless you somehow have access to buy the current hot models new at the retail price and re-sell them for immediate profit).

The best advice is to buy a watch which makes you happy when you wear it. That way, you might get a bonus if it goes up in value (and if you want to sell), and wearing it will still make you happy if it does not. We would all prefer that our things increase in value, but most things do not - The very best outcome would be that your watch increases in value, but you do not care because it makes you happy and thus, you are not selling!

The most knowledgeable collectors may disagree about what even qualifies as “vintage” - Many would say that Rolexes with 6-digit reference numbers are not currently considered vintage, but then, every brand new watch which survives will be “vintage” someday. If you want a vintage model, you may be safer buying from the trusted sellers listed here - It is not a guarantee, but it is a good start.

The Air King is a lovely, classic design - Have you tried one on? If there are any vintage watch sellers near you, go and see some watches in person, you may be surprised by any watch, compared to its photos. Don’t be in any rush, learn the market for the watch you want, and enjoy it - hunting for the right one can be half the fun. Good luck!
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 08:06 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Adding to the advice above, Air King models are only 34mm and wear small compared to modern watches. Lovely as they are, I don’t feel comfortable wearing smaller than a 36mm Datejust
Old 22 August 2019, 08:22 PM   #5
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Air-Kings are cool watches, but they won't appreciate in value like other Rolex sports models, like Subs, GMTs and Daytonas. Also, the ones you're looking at are not vintage. They're more in the "classic" category.

Air king is in the professional line up...
Most watch people care about the timepiece itself and not appreciation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 09:24 PM   #6
Sub Capt.
"TRF" Member

Just buy the one that sings to you and enjoy the hell out of it! Its not an investment.

T
Sub Capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 10:46 PM   #7
cardiel
"TRF" Member

I'm currently interested in the Air-King Ref. 14000 in steel with blue dial from 2003, including original box and papers, and going for about 3900€.

the 3-6-9 dialled Airkings with the blue dial are cool......you get a bit of that Explorer vibe, but for less outlay. Have look on Chrono 24 to get an idea of prices across the board.
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:03 PM   #8
cryo75
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the insight. I will continue my research and compare prices on Chrono24.
cryo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 10:39 PM   #9
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
But remember prices on Chrono24 are probably 10% higher than the regular market. You'll get your best deal from a member here, probably. And if I were you I'd check out the Datejust 1603 as well, a little larger than the AK you're looking at and a very versatile watch on strap or bracelet. Many of those are around and still in good shape.

I have too many watches, but if I were new to the hobby I'd look at a Datejust first.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:19 PM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I definitely would not consider a 2003 AK to be vintage, or even classic. It's basically a modern watch IMO. I doesn't have any of the characteristics associated with classic vintage Rolex, like tritium or acrylic, etc. Moreover, that price is a non-starter. As mentioned above, that model is quite small, and therefore less desirable in the current market. I bought a similar one for my wife.

Keep reading the forums and decide whether you are really interested in a vintage piece (which have distinctive looks), or whether you're just looking to save money over a new watch by buying pre-owned.
Old 24 August 2019, 12:17 AM   #11
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
I'd look at a Datejust first.
Absolutely this. Great entry level model. 1601/1603, or if you enjoy something a little rarer, 1600.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 03:42 AM   #12
jrgannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
I would suggest a 14060m
jrgannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 05:17 AM   #13
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgannon View Post
I would suggest a 14060m
14060m for 3.9k€?

I would go for something like this : https://www.worldoftime.de/en/rolex.....34-22312.html
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 05:39 AM   #14
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I definitely would not consider a 2003 AK to be vintage, or even classic. It's basically a modern watch IMO. I doesn't have any of the characteristics associated with classic vintage Rolex, like tritium or acrylic, etc. Moreover, that price is a non-starter. As mentioned above, that model is quite small, and therefore less desirable in the current market. I bought a similar one for my wife.

Keep reading the forums and decide whether you are really interested in a vintage piece (which have distinctive looks), or whether you're just looking to save money over a new watch by buying pre-owned.
I agree with Dan. My recommendation would be to cross this Air King model off the list.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote