The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 July 2019, 09:03 PM   #151
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Couldn't it be contamination when the bracelet was welded? It is on the points where the bracelet is welded during the manufacture.
Old 11 July 2019, 09:05 PM   #152
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
Thank you for your very constructive first post.....three years after you joined this wonderful forum.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 09:06 PM   #153
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Good luck OP; hope for positive outcome

Imagine buying 5711 on the grey market for 65k for it to rust
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 09:18 PM   #154
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
They said they never saw this before on a PP but didn't think it was rust as it had not damaged the finish and they could rub it off with the glove. They though it might be chemicals leaking out, but I did explan it was stored on its side and the marks are on the top edge. I said I'd expext any liquid to flow down with gravity not up, they said they didn't know.

They offered a sonic clean, I refused as it will also remove all the lubrication from the links.
Perhaps I am naive but:

This "rust" can be rubbed off?

"Chemicals" leaking out"

You refused a sonic cleaning of the bracelet because it would remove the "lubrication"? What "lubrication"?

Is this staining on the watch head or just the locations where the pins are? I would have had the cleaning done but it is your watch.

Beginning to sound like tea staining not rust

https://www.assda.asn.au/technical-i...n-tea-staining
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 09:28 PM   #155
Henry.hoe
"TRF" Member

You sure this is a Patek from an authorised dealer? Never heard of a Patek having rust. But if watch has been through some salt water and not washed such coloration may occured but can be rubbed off.
Henry.hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 12:03 AM   #156
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

The watch is genuine and was not used in the sea, besides isn’t sweat as bad as sea water surely it can handle it. I admit I do not rinse my watches every day after wearing, but in my defence, I have worn SS watches for 30 years without issue.

Although… New thread idea's for Rolex General Discussion area.

“is it safe to wear a SS sports watch if I sweat to much?"
“is it safe to wear a SS sports watch if I eat too many salty snacks?"
“is it safe to wear a SS sports watch without rinsing in fresh water each day?”.

bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 07:24 PM   #157
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
I did not take mine even close to the sea. The closest type of salt that ever got close to my 5711 was the sea salt on the table.

It has been more than 24 hours and the rust has not come back yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 09:39 PM   #158
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppalasthira View Post
I did not take mine even close to the sea. The closest type of salt that ever got close to my 5711 was the sea salt on the table.

It has been more than 24 hours and the rust has not come back yet.

That’s a very good sign, but has the watch got wet. You need steel AND water to get rust.

I would wet the watch with tap water, don’t dry it just leave it on the side to dry overnight, then see if the rust returns, you may need a loupe to see anything after just 1 day. I would repeat that for a few days. The 5711 has a 120m WR and should be able to handle it without rusting.
Old 17 July 2019, 01:07 AM   #159
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...tainless-stee/

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 02:01 AM   #160
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
The problem is that I believe PP/AD could simply provide a full refund. That may be fine on an easily-obtainable piece, but in this case, it could be years before OP sees the same watch available again.

However, should the OP demand a new watch, PP will likely take the old one back, completely recondition it, and then sell it as new. I know this because when my 5065 died after a month of wear, I insisted on a brand new one. Several months after receiving it I got a call from the AD, asking if I could send back the box/papers from the original, as it had been reconditioned by PP and was back in their display case.

Due to its thinness, doesn't the Nautilus bracelet use pins, instead of screws? Probably a lot harder to get that so perfect when you have so little space to work with and aren't using threaded screws that stop going in when the threads end.
Patek used screws until the white dial model came out and then went to pins. Reason given was the screws could come out, however, this is not an issue with Rolex or AP. I do not believe PP realized how "low end" pins are viewed when used in watch bracelets. When I needed a link removed from my 5711 by a local watch dealer, not a Patek AD, he could not believe such an expensive watch used pins.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 02:06 AM   #161
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Actually screws backing out of links is pretty common. I had it happen on my Explorer II. I think my AD ended up using loctite or something similar.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 02:25 AM   #162
Juantxo
Banned

I owned three ref #5035 and none could keep time with any degree of precision. All three were bought new from ad. PP service in NY could not be any worse. Things seem to be going down faster since the old Stern left the ship to his son (who couldn’t even get a college degree). There are rumors that the company is for sale. PP is not nearly half the man it used to be. To pay $40,000 for a steel watch with a finicky movement and rubber strap is plain asinine.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 06:41 AM   #163
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
I have read about the deteriorating quality of the new Patek’s so I thought I’d share my experience and ask for advice. I got my blue 5711 from AD in April, it has the new blue dial, but 324 movement so must have been one of the last of that configuration issued.

Everything was fine until recently I noticed some marks on the edge of the bracelet, closer inspection shows it seems to be rust. The watch has been stored in a watch box, worn a handful of times and never been wet. Has anyone else had this? Are Patek using a cheaper steel? I have known some low-grade stainless steel to rust but I never expected this.

I took some pictures then used some WD40 to clean the links and it seems to have cleared it up, any thoughts on how to stop it getting worse
Any update on this Bonsaiman? As an owner of a steel nautilus I’m very interested to know what the outcome was.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 12:08 AM   #164
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Time for an update, read on if you’re interested or skip to the last chapter for the result.

Sorry for the radio silence on this thread I did not want to keep bumping this thread due to the negative title (perhaps the mods could revise it for me)

Also I never realised when I started the thread that the rust issue on the steel 5711 was unique to me. When I did, I felt it only proper and fair to allow Patek Philippe some time to fully investigate and resolve the issue without the scrutiny and speculation of this public forum, hopefully you all understand.

Anyway I never got a reply from the Patek webform, so decided to return the 5711 through the AD who sent it to the Patek SC to investigate. I got an update from the AD; the SC did not know what caused the marks and they have never seen the marks before. The SC did a sonic clean of the bracelet and gave the bracelet a light polish. I said to the AD I wanted a new bracelet, but they said it was not possible. It was not the result I was hoping for, although it did solve the issue to the letter of the law of the warranty.

After a PM from a forum member I realised that Patek were on my spam list, so I contacted them directly again via the webform, I got a reply this time from the SC confirming what the AD said. I replied to the SC as I was concerned that the marks would just come back as the watch had been cleaned 4 times already. I also added that I was not happy my new 5711 was polished without my permission. I got an email back reassuring me if the marks returned the bracelet would be replaced, even if this happened outside the warranty period. This time they also offered me a complimentary service on the 5711, as compensation and they would send me a letter confirming this, the letter arrived and included a very nice Patek Philippe Caran d’ Ache ballpoint pen which was a very nice surprise, let me know if you want a picture.

The polished watch was returned to me on the 18th July, but it didn’t feel special any more. I could see it had been polished and was paranoid the marks would come back. After a few days I contacted the SC again and said I was not happy with the finish and that I wanted a new bracelet even though the marks were gone and offered to return the free service letter and pen. To my surprise the SC agreed to change the bracelet and said I could keep the free service and pen as well. I returned the watch to the AD a week after I got it back from the sonic clean, the morning it was returned to the AD the orange marks were back “as rings” on the fixed pins again.

I have had my 5711 with new bracelet a week now and I am so pleased. The final outcome was good in the end, but it is a shame the compensation or bracelet replacement weren’t offered from the start which would have made the whole process much less stressful.

You are updated.
Old 17 August 2019, 12:13 AM   #165
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Congrats! Now enjoy and wear in good health

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 01:45 AM   #166
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats on new bracelet, and weird indeed about the orange marks / ring. Am still very much surprised Patek is not using proper screws within their bracelet. The old man would have never allowed that.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 02:27 AM   #167
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
I have had my 5711 with new bracelet a week now and I am so pleased. The final outcome was good in the end, but it is a shame the compensation or bracelet replacement weren’t offered from the start which would have made the whole process much less stressful.

You are updated.
Nice one Steve, finally they had a sensible solution.
Highly surprised they even offered the re-finishing option as a remedy – anyone with basic knowledge of metallurgy knows that rust keeps returning until you chemically prevent it or remove the part that is rust prone.
Thinning the SS on the side was never going to achieve either, and was likely to exacerbate it. Some seriously flawed thinking being displayed with that offering.
I’d have thought rudimentary metallurgy was something that’d be taught and learnt at watch school…!
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 03:31 AM   #168
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Nice one Steve, finally they had a sensible solution.
Highly surprised they even offered the re-finishing option as a remedy – anyone with basic knowledge of metallurgy knows that rust keeps returning until you chemically prevent it or remove the part that is rust prone.
Thinning the SS on the side was never going to achieve either, and was likely to exacerbate it. Some seriously flawed thinking being displayed with that offering.
I’d have thought rudimentary metallurgy was something that’d be taught and learnt at watch school…!
Completely agree, an understanding of metal should be part of training, especially as the watch makers at Patek are so highly skilled. Although they never said it was “rust” and kept referring to it as dis-colouration. Although as I said before if it looks like rust and smells like rust, it probably is rust, especially if it occurs on steel when it gets wet.

I’m just glad it’s over, thanks again for your help with this it was very kind.
Old 17 August 2019, 04:09 AM   #169
"TRF" Member

Wow...very nice end to your story and definitely glad Patek was able to bend over backwards for clients like that. You definitely should have gotten the bracelet replaced from the get go and Patek should have sent that bracelet back to Geneva to see what was wrong. I am sure it is already over there now and being investigated over as to what happened...
1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 05:00 AM   #170
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
3x retail for a turd
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 05:09 AM   #171
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
3x retail for a turd
What an astute observation.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 05:55 AM   #172
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1688 View Post
Wow...very nice end to your story and definitely glad Patek was able to bend over backwards for clients like that. You definitely should have gotten the bracelet replaced from the get go and Patek should have sent that bracelet back to Geneva to see what was wrong. I am sure it is already over there now and being investigated over as to what happened...

Bend over backwards? More like they were finally persuaded to do the right thing.
Old 17 August 2019, 04:21 PM   #173
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Bend over backwards? More like they were finally persuaded to do the right thing.
Lol, true.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:35 AM   #174
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member

My 5524 is currently with Patek for a warranty issue.
Just on holiday and noticed that the chrono second hand on my 5968 is resetting to 58/59 instead of 0. To say I am slightly annoyed is an understatement.

948D1324-C0BD-48C7-842C-8F582E6DF984.jpeg
chunkythebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:58 AM   #175
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkythebulldog View Post
Just on holiday and noticed that the chrono second hand on my 5968 is resetting to 58/59 instead of 0. To say I am slightly annoyed is an understatement.

Attachment 1065056
so sorry bout this. I try not to look at my 5170 too much (the chrono hand, can’t keep eyes off dial) for fear it may do the same
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:27 AM   #176
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Finally,i m happy they did the replacement (as the only acceptable solution)
Enjoy it!

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:39 AM   #177
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

chunkythebulldog, that should take maybe 20 minutes to correct (am being generous). How long did they say it's going to take to fix?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 21 August 2019, 04:19 AM   #178
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
chunkythebulldog, that should take maybe 20 minutes to correct (am being generous). How long did they say it's going to take to fix?
They haven’t given a timescale as yet. Will know when I get back from my holidays and take it in.
The 5524 issue my AD basically said don’t expect it back quickly.
chunkythebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:21 AM   #179
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkythebulldog View Post

Attachment 1065056
Same thing happened to my 5980r a few years back. Bought brand new and it would only reset at the 50 minute mark. Maybe its an issue with this vertical clutch movement.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:34 AM   #180
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Maybe its an issue with this vertical clutch movement.
Ahh good point! That takes a bit longer of course. Bummer :(

chunkythebulldog
Let us know how long they quote you to fix it.