The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 September 2020, 11:54 PM   #31
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWERCASE GUY View Post

I don't think there is any chance it will go to 41mm. 40 at a push but more likely they'll take a mm or 2 off.
I sincerely hope you are right, but as it stands I don't really think so. If anything they will make it 41mm like they did with the OP (which was 39 also - same case).

The discontinued OP39 (and the white dial) was a complete shock to me. Was hoping they were just going to upgrade the movement only. And I would buy. But nope. Now the remaining discontinued models are going for more than Date Justs.

OP - I would get the Explorer now before they do something unpredictable that may not be to your liking.

Me- I would jump at a white dial version Explorer as long as it's 39mm or LESS. Especially if that white dial was the same color as the OP white dial. 38mm would be choice. Dream watch (1 of anyway).

If I can get my hands on a new Explorer now, I may bite, unless I can find a white OP at a reasonable price (not likely). A white dial Explorer - would be ideal.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 01:52 AM   #32
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I don't know what you mean by a lesser watch, however the 214270 is just about as perfect a watch as Rolex makes. Grab it, set the time if needed and go.
A lesser watch would be an identical Explorer without any aesthetic changes but replacing the 31 series for the 32 series. That would be a lesser watch imo. OP's words not mine but I know what he's implying.
Old 21 September 2020, 02:15 AM   #33
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesMcgraw View Post
If you like the watch, get it now it’s quite simple. If you prefer any amendments in the near future, sell it and get the new one. It’s anyones guess what they do
Thank you for your feedback, I do appreciate it.

I do like the watch but it's not as simple as 'like it, get it' for me. My question was if members think the movement will change in 2021 or not? Not if I should buy and sell the current reference, i'm aware that is an option open to me.

I'll no doubt like the new ones just as much. Same, same, different is the Rolex way so the changes will be slight if and when they come.

I like plenty of watches I don't yet own so i'm happy to hunt down other pieces in the meantime (assuming the movement change is on the cards in the 2021 releases). However if there was no movement change in 2021 i'd be disappointed I've waited & didn't pick the current reference up this year.

I understand there is no exact science to what Rolex will do but i figured gauging opinions from Rolex enthusiasts would be a reasonable guide to what to expect from the Explorer in 2021.

Peace
Old 21 September 2020, 02:20 AM   #34
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
The 39mm Explorer I is perfect as is.
Old 21 September 2020, 02:25 AM   #35
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I would not hold out for the new movement and risk a case change. The added PR is really meaningless in this model. The old movement is actually easier to service than the newer one which is an added bonus.
I have a couple of Rolex pieces with the new 32 series movement already and I like the added benefits they offer. The additional shock resistance and anti-magnetism is also appealing to me & i'm a movement nerd.

I do take your point about the Explorer being a time only piece and therefore the PR isn't a huge thing but that's not really the driver for me.

I think i'm being a little misunderstood. If they update the current reference in 2021 they will make some cosmetic changes too. If they do that I will be disappointed I've not waited. They always get a little better in my opinion which I understand is subjective but i'm yet to pang over a discontinued model, I always tend to prefer the updates & innovations on offer.
Old 21 September 2020, 02:27 AM   #36
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
Rolex will probably market the new exp 1 as 40 or 41, but I agree the chance of equipping the glidelock will be very slim.
It's already too big and ugly as 39mm, the dial looks like a plate. Would be stupid to go even bigger.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 02:35 AM   #37
SearChart
TechXpert

36mm with a small glidelock would be my wish. Will probably never happen though.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 02:49 AM   #38
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I sincerely hope you are right, but as it stands I don't really think so. If anything they will make it 41mm like they did with the OP (which was 39 also - same case).

The discontinued OP39 (and the white dial) was a complete shock to me. Was hoping they were just going to upgrade the movement only. And I would buy. But nope. Now the remaining discontinued models are going for more than Date Justs.

OP - I would get the Explorer now before they do something unpredictable that may not be to your liking.

Me- I would jump at a white dial version Explorer as long as it's 39mm or LESS. Especially if that white dial was the same color as the OP white dial. 38mm would be choice. Dream watch (1 of anyway).

If I can get my hands on a new Explorer now, I may bite, unless I can find a white OP at a reasonable price (not likely). A white dial Explorer - would be ideal.
The OP is an experimental model and following the wider market trend for bigger pieces (although enthusiasts are harking for smaller heritage style pieces they aren't the primary customer).

I don't think they will play about with their stable pieces too much. It was controversial enough moving from 36mm to 39mm, surely there is no way they'll go bigger?

Sub has been 40mm since forever and the increase to 41mm has went hand in hand with a slimmer case and you can barely notice the difference. Daytona and GMT have been 40mm since forever.

Unpopular opinion but I hope they never do a white dial Explorer. Although it might be on the cards with the discontinued OP?

It won't go up to 41mm, that's just not the Explorer way. I agree a 38mm would be very desirable.
Old 21 September 2020, 02:52 AM   #39
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
It's already too big and ugly as 39mm, the dial looks like a plate. Would be stupid to go even bigger.
LOL, I agree it would be stupid to go bigger. Not sure about the current reference looking like a plate though

Say what you really think why don't you, i do admire your honesty
Old 21 September 2020, 02:53 AM   #40
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
36mm with a small glidelock would be my wish. Will probably never happen though.
Yeah that would be awesome, although i'd settle for 37,37.5 or 38.
Old 21 September 2020, 10:50 PM   #41
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
A lesser watch would be an identical Explorer without any aesthetic changes but replacing the 31 series for the 32 series. That would be a lesser watch imo. OP's words not mine but I know what he's implying.
It makes zero sense.
Old 21 September 2020, 11:37 PM   #42
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
It makes zero sense.
Is that not exactly what they did the 126622 Yachtmaster 40? If I'm recalling correctly, there wasn't an official release with the updated movement--it just was a quiet change where they added the coronet at 6 o'clock, changed the movement, and updated the marketing materials.

Since the MKII version of the Explorer I came out less than 5 years ago, I feel like we could see the same thing.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:49 PM   #43
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The OP is an experimental model and following the wider market trend for bigger pieces (although enthusiasts are harking for smaller heritage style pieces they aren't the primary customer).

I don't think they will play about with their stable pieces too much. It was controversial enough moving from 36mm to 39mm, surely there is no way they'll go bigger?

Sub has been 40mm since forever and the increase to 41mm has went hand in hand with a slimmer case and you can barely notice the difference. Daytona and GMT have been 40mm since forever.

Unpopular opinion but I hope they never do a white dial Explorer. Although it might be on the cards with the discontinued OP?

It won't go up to 41mm, that's just not the Explorer way. I agree a 38mm would be very desirable.
I have to disagree (and again, hope you are right)... the OP moving to 41, the Sub moving to 41. The Date Just 41... I think a 41mm Explorer is in the cards. Again, I do hope I am wrong.
Old 21 September 2020, 11:55 PM   #44
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have to disagree (and again, hope you are right)... the OP moving to 41, the Sub moving to 41. The Date Just 41... I think a 41mm Explorer is in the cards. Again, I do hope I am wrong.
What would the Explorer II do then? Move to 43 or 44? If the Explorer I moved up, I don't think it would be above 40mm. Rolex already is satisfying the "big Explorer" appetite with the Explorer II as-is. Also remembering the history of the Explorer, moving from 36mm to 41mm over time would be a big jump; I don't think Rolex would make that large of a change.
Old 22 September 2020, 12:11 AM   #45
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Now, we are also thinking like Rolex and expecting dial colors and increase in size!

If truly anything needs to be improved on Explorer, its adding a quickset hour hand. Calling it Explorer but not providing the easy use for traveling!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 12:14 AM   #46
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
What would the Explorer II do then? Move to 43 or 44? If the Explorer I moved up, I don't think it would be above 40mm. Rolex already is satisfying the "big Explorer" appetite with the Explorer II as-is. Also remembering the history of the Explorer, moving from 36mm to 41mm over time would be a big jump; I don't think Rolex would make that large of a change.
I NEVER would guess they would take the Sub to 41mm either, so there's that to consider. Who really knows... All we do know is they made the DJ, OP, and the Sub 41mm... It seems to be a number Rolex likes.

And why would the Explorer II need to do anything? I don't get you logic. Explorer II and Explorer are vey different watches to my eye.
Old 22 September 2020, 12:19 AM   #47
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Is that not exactly what they did the 126622 Yachtmaster 40? If I'm recalling correctly, there wasn't an official release with the updated movement--it just was a quiet change where they added the coronet at 6 o'clock, changed the movement, and updated the marketing materials.

Since the MKII version of the Explorer I came out less than 5 years ago, I feel like we could see the same thing.
With the 126622 they supposedly changed the case a bit. Some say it wasn't as rounded on the underside, rather more sharp. I can't confirm as I only have experience with the 116622. If you do a forum search, you'll find some topic FS on it.

Even if Rolex did exactly what you surmise, I fail to see how it makes it a lesser watch that the previous version as the OP and another poster state
Old 22 September 2020, 12:33 AM   #48
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
You must be one skinny person if a 39mm Explorer looks the size of your plates
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:54 AM   #49
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Now, we are also thinking like Rolex and expecting dial colors and increase in size!

If truly anything needs to be improved on Explorer, its adding a quickset hour hand. Calling it Explorer but not providing the easy use for traveling!
I feel like all of their watches could do with that, but the Explorer I would make the most sense.

My Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon has the quickset hour hand, and it really is a handy feature.
Old 22 September 2020, 01:56 AM   #50
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I NEVER would guess they would take the Sub to 41mm either, so there's that to consider. Who really knows... All we do know is they made the DJ, OP, and the Sub 41mm... It seems to be a number Rolex likes.

And why would the Explorer II need to do anything? I don't get you logic. Explorer II and Explorer are vey different watches to my eye.
Explorers I and II are meant to be brother and sister is my understanding. They're different watches, yes, but I think one is the more beastly version of the other. By that logic, the Explorer II may would see something done to it to further "beef it up."
Old 22 September 2020, 02:04 AM   #51
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

I don't think they dare go larger than 40, maybe they will call it a 41 that measures 40, movement upgrade? Possibly.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 02:31 AM   #52
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Explorer seems to have risen a fair bit lately price wise for some reason. Haven’t seen any in London for a few months now at different AD’s.

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 03:15 AM   #53
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
I don’t think they will increase the size. IMO one of the primary drivers in the recent size changes for many of the other references is to provide better differentiation throughout the catalog. With the OP moving from 39 to 41, I really think the 39mm form factor will remain the exclusive domain of the Exp I for the foreseeable future. A movement update seems very plausible to me though.

Rolex: SD 116600 | Submariner 114060 | GMT 126710BLNR | GMT 116710LN | Explorer II 216570 | Explorer 214270

Other: Vacheron Constantin | Panerai | Omega | Grand Seiko | Breitling
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:40 AM   #54
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

OP39 white dial had a amazing cult following in it's 2.5 year cycle.

Rolex will probably upgrade to 41mm for ease of producing cases to match the op41.

Next year we'll probably see a 41mm updated movement Explorer. If we are super lucky, a white dial will be added
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:49 AM   #55
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
OP39 white dial had a amazing cult following in it's 2.5 year cycle.

Rolex will probably upgrade to 41mm for ease of producing cases to match the op41.

Next year we'll probably see a 41mm updated movement Explorer. If we are super lucky, a white dial will be added
Did the OP39 have the same case as the Explorer I 39mm?
Old 22 September 2020, 05:58 AM   #56
alphasports
"TRF" Member

These aren't iphones that they try to humiliate/FOMO us into changing every year. If you like the watch, buy it. The holy grails of Explorers are 40-50 years old or more, not as-yet-unreleased figments of your imagination.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 07:11 AM   #57
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did the OP39 have the same case as the Explorer I 39mm?
Yes
Old 22 September 2020, 11:30 AM   #58
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
I appreciate the thoughts. Good observation on recent lacking availability. My AD hasn’t apparently gotten one in a long time.

Polar dial seems unlikely to me.

Non existent in London for the last few months now.

Friend looking for one and he keeps getting told 6-12 months. Defo running low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:40 AM   #59
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes

Different bezel though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:58 AM   #60
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rolex View Post
Non existent in London for the last few months now.

Friend looking for one and he keeps getting told 6-12 months. Defo running low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the report. Does anyone else have any recent experiences regarding availability?