The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 September 2020, 04:25 PM   #1
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Service prior to sale.

I have a 2014 (as per the card, bought grey in early 2015) 116710LN that I will be looking to trade towards a 126613LB. I am not in a huge rush so I will wait for the prices to settle.

There are the plenty of surface scratches but nothing deep.

The question is if I was to send it of for a service and then not wear after its returned. Do you think it would be worthwhile financially. I.e. would the sale/trade price be noticeably higher than if it was not serviced.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 04:27 PM   #2
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
I have a 2014 (as per the card, bought grey in early 2015) 116710LN that I will be looking to trade towards a 126613LB. I am not in a huge rush so I will wait for the prices to settle.

The question is if I was to send it of for a service and then not wear after its returned. Do you think it would be worthwhile financially. I.e. would the sale/trade price be noticeably higher than if it was not serviced.
Nope, you’d make out the same or slightly less in my experience.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 04:32 PM   #3
s1mb4
"TRF" Member

Watch: It.
Why wouldn't you want to wear it once it comes back? Are you thinking of getting it polished and keep it in that shape?

Some folks prefer non-polished look, some care about recent tune-up/service, and frankly some don't if the price is right.

All depends on the individual. In my opinion I would leave it as is and negotiate deal when the time comes.
s1mb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 04:50 PM   #4
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mb4 View Post
Why wouldn't you want to wear it once it comes back? Are you thinking of getting it polished and keep it in that shape?

Some folks prefer non-polished look, some care about recent tune-up/service, and frankly some don't if the price is right.

All depends on the individual. In my opinion I would leave it as is and negotiate deal when the time comes.
Yes correct, I would look to sell in that shape.

From a buyers point of view, if I was offered a 6 digit GMT unserviced and scratched for x amount or one fresh from a Rolex service and looking/functioning as close to factory as a worn 5 year old watch can for x + $1,000 I would take the latter.

However, as a buyer could I be bothered with the expense and hassle of sending it off for a service if its only going to get me an extra $1,000? No.

The problem is i don't know if the $1,000 is a realistic guess
Old 23 September 2020, 04:51 PM   #5
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Nope, you’d make out the same or slightly less in my experience.
Thanks, that's my preferred route I guess as its the easier option.
Old 23 September 2020, 06:58 PM   #6
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
As a buyer I would appreciate the extra 2 yrs Rolex Service warranty and the new-ish look of the watch and that definitely would command a premium. Not to mention that you have validated proof of authenticity with original papers and service papers matching. If it is a high value watch then I would definitely recommend you service before sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 07:07 PM   #7
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't bother. Just price it accordingly and let the buyer have the option on whether to have it polished.

The only positive I could see would be to give a buyer a bit more peace of mind with it having the warranty and some additional paperwork.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 09:46 PM   #8
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
There is a reason why almost all used watches for sale have beeen touched up.

Apart from a few people on TRF who like scratches nobody in the real world likes them and much prefer a shining example.
Perhaps you don’t recover the costs but a fresh RSC service will sell a lot quicker
Old 23 September 2020, 09:52 PM   #9
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Normally I'd say yes for a sale, but in this case no, since you plan to trade it.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 10:02 PM   #10
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
If selling to a another consumer, a recent RSC service and extended warranty would certainly put your watch higher on the desirable list and reasonably priced at the top of the secondary market. As a trade in, I wouldn't bother. You will already be between $2-4K below what they are being listed depending on the dealer.
G.D.BeanCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 10:22 PM   #11
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Sell it as it is and let the buyer decide.

You can consider a discount on price, taking service cost into account.

But, yes, a polished watch sells a lot faster. The general public prefers no scratches. A wis like me, prefers to have a choice.

90% of dealers polish the watches prior to advertising them.
Old 23 September 2020, 10:30 PM   #12
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Normally I'd say yes for a sale, but in this case no, since you plan to trade it.
Agree, if you’re going to trade to an AD/gray skip the service. If you’re planning to sell to an individual then service it. If I were looking at two of the same watch from different sellers, one serviced and one not, I’d buy the serviced one, even if was a bit more.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 10:37 PM   #13
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Don't forget that a service to be done would mean for the (private) purchaser to be without a just (maybe heavily) paid watch for several weeks. Not everybody can stand this supplementary wait to enjoy it.
Old 24 September 2020, 02:22 AM   #14
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Market value is market value.

You don't get to add on the price of your service as the buyer can spend that money to get their own.

A Rolex service may entice more buyers who would appreciate the paperwork and warranty, but, again, you can't add the 1,000 bucks onto it's current market value and expect to find many buyers. You just get more interest and a faster sale.
Old 24 September 2020, 04:04 AM   #15
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
No, won't be "noticeably" higher but could be easier to sell (if service was done right by right person).
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 04:15 AM   #16
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
As a buyer I would appreciate the extra 2 yrs Rolex Service warranty and the new-ish look of the watch and that definitely would command a premium. Not to mention that you have validated proof of authenticity with original papers and service papers matching. If it is a high value watch then I would definitely recommend you service before sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said!!
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 05:24 AM   #17
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Service prior to sale.

Quote:

Suggest to sell as is and save the cost of service (unless movement is defective). Also some people don’t like used watches to be polished so an “untouched” used piece might also be more attactive to some. Pretty sure the service won’t increase its value for an AD or a grey in a trade in towards the 126613LB.

Have been considering looking for a 116710LN (had one few years back, below) and would prefer a cheaper watch as long as it is in good mechanical shape. Market has however gone crazy on their prices so unlikely to happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 05:45 AM   #18
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Unless it's not running up to par I wouldn't service it prior to the sale.
Old 24 September 2020, 05:47 AM   #19
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
What did you spend to originally buy the watch? How much would it cost for RSC to service and polish the piece and get two year warranty? What do you think you could then advertise and sell the watch for? For example, If you bought the watch $7500, add $1000 for service and you sold it for 10.5K then worth it to service, and probably easier to sell, and get a happy buyer. Otherwise go to some secondary market dealers and ask what they would pay you for the watch in as is condition. If they offered something close to what you paid originally then just sell it and let them deal with it.
Old 24 September 2020, 06:00 AM   #20
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Not worth it. The dealer is going to quote you as if it needs a polish anyway. Keep your $750.
Old 24 September 2020, 07:04 AM   #21
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
If I'm selling to a dealer, no. If to an individual and the watch is out of warranty, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it without giving it an RSC service. Not a matter of $$.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 07:16 AM   #22
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

You don't get to add on the price of your service as the buyer can spend that money to get their own.

A Rolex service may entice more buyers who would appreciate the paperwork and warranty, but, again, you can't add the 1,000 bucks onto it's current market value and expect to find many buyers. You just get more interest and a faster sale.
This
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 09:04 AM   #23
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
I would sell as is and let the buyer choose if they want to service it.
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 09:41 AM   #24
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Not sure I agree with this, there is no fixed market value of say $11,995. The market value is dictated by the watch condition and what is included (be it box, papers, stickers, new service etc).

Looking on Chrono 24 there is a wide range of prices, one thing for sure is they will probably not all sell for the listed price....but another thing for sure is that they will not all sell for the exact same "market value".

But overall I think I will stick with the non serviced route if I plan to trade, if I do go for a private sale I may service. Cheers for the responses everyone.