The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 September 2020, 10:53 PM   #1
m32
"TRF" Member

Disappointing news on my journey for a Daytona...

Backstory: So I purchased three rolexes (two from a Rolex dealer and one from Takuya) as a present for my brothers and I for Christmas of December 2017 (Thread here).

I was very fortunate to have been able to source a Batman at the time and I've since fallen in love with it (not only b/c it's a Rolex but the emotional connection I have with it). Shortly after, I reached out to the same dealer where I purchased two from and asked to be put on the wait list for a SS Daytona (white) b/c I wanted to start building my collection. Unfortunately, there was some mix up and when I checked in with them yesterday and found out I was never on the wait list

I know these are incredibly hard to find and the wait list is long. I don't mind waiting (again) but I just want a real chance of acquiring one.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can avoid another 2-3 year wait only to realize my wait has been futile? Do I need to put a deposit down first?

Thanks all!

Edwin
m32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:00 PM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

There is no magic, if the AD is actually keeping a list, then ask to be inserted into it at the ranking you should be based upon your original request date.

You may still have the 2-3 yr. interval.

Or call Takuya and see if he can give you some consideration on uplift price in light of your prior purchase. He is much easier to deal with than ADs. I bought a Platona from him a few years back - it was stolen - and he was willing to get me a replacement at a good price reflecting our earlier deal.

That’s my

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:01 PM   #3
Dave4D
"TRF" Member

I think you should go grey.

What do you think of the previous reference 116520? It would be cheaper than the ceramic Daytona. Same watch basically, just the bezel is different.
Dave4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:08 PM   #4
m32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
There is no magic, if the AD is actually keeping a list, then ask to be inserted into it at the ranking you should be based upon your original request date.

Or call Takuya and see if he can give you some consideration on uplift price in light of your prior purchase. He is much easier to deal with than ADs. I bought a Platona from him a few years back - it was stolen - and he was willing to get me a replacement at a good price reflecting our earlier deal.

That’s my

Thanks @77T, I will ask to see if I can be re-inserted from when I asked them. I met Takuya face-to-face when I picked up the submariner from him and he's a real nice guy. Everyone has bills to pay so I don't want to ask to put him in a position where he gives up some $ on his end for me. I'd rather wait a year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave4D View Post

What do you think of the previous reference 116520? It would be cheaper than the ceramic Daytona. Same watch basically, just the bezel is different.
@Dave4D, I don't mind going grey but I also don't want to pay a 2x premium. Thanks but I love the ceramic bezel especially how it contrasts with the white face

Edwin
Old 23 September 2020, 11:14 PM   #5
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m32 View Post
Thanks @77T, I will ask to see if I can be re-inserted from when I asked them. I met Takuya face-to-face when I picked up the submariner from him and he's a real nice guy. Everyone has bills to pay so I don't want to ask to put him in a position where he gives up some $ on his end for me. I'd rather wait a year or two.

@Dave4D, I don't mind going grey but I also don't want to pay a $10K premium. Thanks but I love the ceramic bezel especially how it contrasts with the white face

Edwin
You think resellers are struggling to pay bills in this market?

Not that I think he would cut you a deal based on one prior sale. But can’t hurt to ask.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:29 PM   #6
m32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
You think resellers are struggling to pay bills in this market?

Not that I think he would cut you a deal based on one prior sale. But can’t hurt to ask.
I'm sure most are doing just fine but I still don't feel right about it
Old 23 September 2020, 11:30 PM   #7
racingfreak
"TRF" Member

"The list" is what AD's use to stop walk-ins and once off clients constantly bugging them. Secretly they hope you spend more with them (preferably on PM pieces) in the 2/3 years that you "wait" for your grail to build a "relationship". Reality is that there is no actual list, some people can get the watch when they ask for it based on their relationship with the AD either by having spent money with them or having been referred to them by someone in the business, other guys get lucky in that a piece comes in and is unallocated as one of the original "vvips" pulled out and a very small percentage get the piece because they keep on asking and the stars align. Having bought 2 pieces from an AD definitely does not put you in the first of those categories, so unfortunately you will have to be persistent, because if you just assume the call will come in months/years without constant enquiry from your side you are definitely mistaken.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
racingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:35 PM   #8
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Yes Put your name out there in more then one AD and also check in with them every 2 or 3 months to find out how you stand on your wait.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:42 PM   #9
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey VP-26 View Post
Yes Put your name out there in more then one AD and also check in with them every 2 or 3 months to find out how you stand on your wait.

Exactly right advice.

Plus consider the 116519. I just recently bought a 116500, and have my name down for the WG version too. If you do it the other way round (PM first) it might give you some leverage towards the steel version, or better, you might even be happy with the PM version (which, on a rubber bracelet, all have the ceramic bezel).
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:43 PM   #10
mml4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave4D View Post

Takuya has had a white 116520 for sale for $27,000. for months. Not exactly cheap!
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:45 PM   #11
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
I am sorry about the lack of getting on the "list." I think the games are bonkers and plain dumb at this point. The best is to get out there to some ADs and just strike up a conversation and talk. Then, let them know you understand how crazy the market is but you are really wanting a Daytona. Give them your information when they ask and then keep checking in.

Best of luck, and I hope you get the call sooner than later!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:53 PM   #12
m32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfreak View Post
"The list" is what AD's use to stop walk-ins and once off clients constantly bugging them. Secretly they hope you spend more with them (preferably on PM pieces) in the 2/3 years that you "wait" for your grail to build a "relationship". Reality is that there is no actual list, some people can get the watch when they ask for it based on their relationship with the AD either by having spent money with them or having been referred to them by someone in the business, other guys get lucky in that a piece comes in and is unallocated as one of the original "vvips" pulled out and a very small percentage get the piece because they keep on asking and the stars align. Having bought 2 pieces from an AD definitely does not put you in the first of those categories, so unfortunately you will have to be persistent, because if you just assume the call will come in months/years without constant enquiry from your side you are definitely mistaken.

That's disappointing. I know I only bought two from them (granted they were ones "in demand"), I don't know what else I can do other than buy a bunch of stuff that I don't want/need to buy goodwill from them. Like I said, if the price for me to pay is to wait 1-2 years like a "regular joe-schmo" I'll do it. Just want a fair chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey VP-26 View Post
I shot the owner of the store an email just now asking what my real chances are so we'll see what he says. If no response, I'll start making calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.cicollo View Post
Exactly right advice.

Plus consider the 116519. I just recently bought a 116500, and have my name down for the WG version too. If you do it the other way round (PM first) it might give you some leverage towards the steel version, or better, you might even be happy with the PM version (which, on a rubber bracelet, all have the ceramic bezel).
The 116519 is awesome but more than what I'm comfortable to spend right now. Congrats on your pickup of the 116500!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
I am sorry about the lack of getting on the "list." I think the games are bonkers and plain dumb at this point. The best is to get out there to some ADs and just strike up a conversation and talk. Then, let them know you understand how crazy the market is but you are really wanting a Daytona. Give them your information when they ask and then keep checking in.

Best of luck, and I hope you get the call sooner than later!
Thanks Jay, sound advice
Old 23 September 2020, 11:55 PM   #13
southtexas

Quote:

That’s my

WHOA! Stolen? How did you discover that? Story please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:57 PM   #14
racingfreak
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately this is the game. You are at crossroads, either accept a SS daytona is a tall ask and not worth the effort and find something else that makes you happy eg a PM daytona or know you will have to put in time and effort and get an AD to think of you the next time one is available and this will only be possible if you're genuine and actually take time to chat to the guys and show them that you're not just another guy buying into the hype or looking to make a quick buck. Both avenues has its advantages/disadvantages.

racingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 11:58 PM   #15
jon420
"TRF" Member

Buy 2 platinum day dates then maybe you’ll get it in 6 months 😂
jon420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 12:04 AM   #16
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Well that sucks. I am only familiar with how my AD works and maybe one other locally. Mine does keep lists and they are probably 90% chronological. If they tell you you're on the list you will get the watch.
I waited 7 months for a BLRO and 9 for a black Daytona and was kept informed of my progress throughout. In fact both were delivered a bit earlier than first estimated. The only "mistake" I think you made was not following up sooner. In the end "the relationship" still matters. If you trust the current AD keep on them a bit more and maybe they'll correct the first misunderstanding.
PS: I have sold to Takuya once, great guy and easy to deal with.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 12:08 AM   #17
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

That sucks...honestly at this point you can buy almost any rose gold day date at full price, say you want a Daytona and then sell the day date for either the same or a few k under what you paid for it. At this point thats WAYYYY cheaper than almost any other option for a Daytona if you can put out the 40k...
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 12:14 AM   #18
m32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfreak View Post
Unfortunately this is the game. You are at crossroads, either accept a SS daytona is a tall ask and not worth the effort and find something else that makes you happy eg a PM daytona or know you will have to put in time and effort and get an AD to think of you the next time one is available and this will only be possible if you're genuine and actually take time to chat to the guys and show them that you're not just another guy buying into the hype or looking to make a quick buck. Both avenues has its advantages/disadvantages.

Appreciate your input. Yeah, I'm definitely not a flipper which is why I went back to the original place I bought from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon420 View Post
Buy 2 platinum day dates then maybe you’ll get it in 6 months 😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Well that sucks. I am only familiar with how my AD works and maybe one other locally. Mine does keep lists and they are probably 90% chronological. If they tell you you're on the list you will get the watch.
I waited 7 months for a BLRO and 9 for a black Daytona and was kept informed of my progress throughout. In fact both were delivered a bit earlier than first estimated. The only "mistake" I think you made was not following up sooner. In the end "the relationship" still matters. If you trust the current AD keep on them a bit more and maybe they'll correct the first misunderstanding.
PS: I have sold to Takuya once, great guy and easy to deal with.
Can you share which AD you work with? I'm also in Houston and would love to make an introduction.

Takuya is definitely a great guy and I would def deal with him again.
Old 24 September 2020, 12:18 AM   #19
dspringer
"TRF" Member

Just my 2 cents - I visit my AD frequently just to stop in, say hi, and "build the relationship" as many talk about on this site. Do i think its completely unnecessary? Yes, but we live in some strange times. Full disclosure, i have purchased a DJ41 fluted, black dial and the new BLNR from this AD.

My AD will often call me to check out watches, even if its already allocated, just so i can see them in the metal. We have this sort of relationship. For as good a relationship as i think we have, he has never once called me to see a ceramic daytona in the metal. In fact, the only person i have ever seen wearing one in person is the owner of the shop's wife. The sales manager i work with calls the white face specifically "the unicorn" as he states they only get in maybe 2 a year. The minimum spend with my AD is $50k on non-rolex in order to even be considered to purchase the white dial daytona (the shop sells jewelry and watches).

So to be frank, just because you have purchased 2 Rolex's previously from an AD doesn't mean that you'll ever be able to source a Daytona (especially if they weren't full PM watches). If he/she sold you anything desirable in SS then they've likely already done you the favor. The unfortunate reality of most of our situations is that the waiting list will continue to be years upon years and that watch will be discontinued before any of us "normal" people have the chance to purchase one. On top of that, you'll be jumped by someone coming in and dropping tons and tons of money on other items in order to purchase the Daytona at MSRP. The truth is sadly there is no list for the Daytona. Money talks.

If you really want to avoid the premium of going "grey" than i suggest making your AD a bundle offer where you purchase either jewelry or a full PM piece along with the Daytona. Be steadfast in holding your position to purchase the Daytona though - don't get stuck buying a DD now for a Daytona later. The Daytona may never come. Good Luck
dspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 12:18 AM   #20
m32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
That sucks...honestly at this point you can buy almost any rose gold day date at full price, say you want a Daytona and then sell the day date for either the same or a few k under what you paid for it. At this point thats WAYYYY cheaper than almost any other option for a Daytona if you can put out the 40k...
I thought about this and is a great idea... problem is what if I buy the rose gold day date and never get a call back re: the daytona ?

Edwin
Old 24 September 2020, 12:21 AM   #21
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought about this and is a great idea... problem is what if I buy the rose gold day date and never get a call back re: the daytona ?

Edwin

You still dont lose much of any money, but you flat out say that you'll only buy the day date if it gets you a Daytona asap. Tbh, you may end up finding the day date is what you'd rather have 😂😂😂. All things aside though, you're pretty safe either way, it buys you immediate will from the AD.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 12:26 AM   #22
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

Daytona prices are insane on the grey market. If you are contemplating grey at all then either get the PM Daytona (easier to get, the WG on OF looks amazing) or go get a nicer piece. For the same money as a grey market Daytona you can get way more watch. Stick with your AD if you really want that Daytona, the wait will be worth it. Just make sure you try one on and handle one before you wait all that time - the last thing you want is to realize that when it's your turn you no longer want it.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 12:42 AM   #23
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Buy a Day Date or a bunch of DJ's lol - sorry for the humor but that's my only thought in this instance.
Old 24 September 2020, 12:52 AM   #24
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
WHOA! Stolen? How did you discover that? Story please!

I think he means. His watch was stolen from him. Not that he bought a stolen watch.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 01:08 AM   #25
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Quote:
Unfortunately, there was some mix up and when I checked in with them yesterday and found out I was never on the wait list :

Sorry to burst your bubble ... but your SA purposely not put you on his list for a Daytona. Now, he'll just keep telling you that you are on the list with no timeline. I rather have a SA telling me, sorry you won't be on the list.

If I was a SA, here would be my Daytona list to sell to:
1) Greys - repeat business, they also will bundle with lots of non moving models
2) Whales - repeat business, they also buy jewelry, ladies and PM models
3) Family
4) Friends
5) Someone with 1-2 purchases - need to bundle with a slow moving model or manager will not approve it. I know customer don't want to bundle, so better for me not to offer and piss off this customer. Customer might still buy something once in awhile. If not, no big loss.
6) Reg Joe with no purchases - zero chance for Daytona, unless bulk purchase or a crazy bundle

I sound like a real bad sales person, I guess it's only normal trying to maximize sales.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 01:13 AM   #26
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:

That’s my

Agree with the above. If you have a relationship with the AD, then explain that you requested to be put on the wait list a few years back and understand mixups happen. If they value your business they should put you on the list where you rightfully should be.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 01:16 AM   #27
klenboy

If Takuya is a great guy you shouldn't feel bad with asking for a deal. At this point the only way you will get a White Daytona at the AD with minimal wait is to go PM or bundle with a President (or perhaps more). For any AD this is a tall order.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 01:29 AM   #28
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
there are a lot of nice brands and watches to choose from for the daytona money. i get that daytona is nice but its not worth the frustration...

jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 01:33 AM   #29
dvn
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXster View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble ... but your SA purposely not put you on his list for a Daytona. Now, he'll just keep telling you that you are on the list with no timeline. I rather have a SA telling me, sorry you won't be on the list.

If I was a SA, here would be my Daytona list to sell to:
1) Greys - repeat business, they also will bundle with lots of non moving models
2) Whales - repeat business, they also buy jewelry, ladies and PM models
3) Family
4) Friends
5) Someone with 1-2 purchases - need to bundle with a slow moving model or manager will not approve it. I know customer don't want to bundle, so better for me not to offer and piss off this customer. Customer might still buy something once in awhile. If not, no big loss.
6) Reg Joe with no purchases - zero chance for Daytona, unless bulk purchase or a crazy bundle

I sound like a real bad sales person, I guess it's only normal trying to maximize sales.

That's explained why the stocks from grey market sellers are so many now a day. I waited for 15 months now for either a BLRN/BLRO or a ceramic Daytona (I already have a 116520 purchased from them few years ago) and now my AD told me they are no longer carry Rolexes because there is another Rolex AD will be opening in a few months.
Good luck with your quest.
dvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 02:13 AM   #30
bp1000
"TRF" Member

My journey to a steel Daytona is a joke....

The AD where I purchased virtually all my watches closed down, due to retirement

That was back when I was on the list for the old Daytona

I then moved AD's to the next closest geographically, having purchased virtually everything I wanted, I had to start all over again with no history and nothing I needed to buy! Waited patiently for 2 years with the new AD for the old style Daytona, never got a call, this was 2014-2016.

2016 comes and the ceramic get released. I casually ring them 2 weeks after asking about availability. Only to be told I wasn't transferred to the new list as its a new watch. I was extremely annoyed, nobody told me or rang me, terrible CS. Asked what my "new" position was. 22nd was the answer. Absolutely F great.

Between 2016 and 2019 they never rang me and were never forthcoming with anything, not a SINGLE model was offered to me. I went in multiple times, showed my face, made conversation, showed them some of my watches, even gave them some business. And nothing. Not even a sub or explorer. Worse AD I've ever experienced.

Since then I've found an incredible new AD and started adding new pieces and they sort me out with some Daytona's and other watches.

Absolute waste of time with the previous and a real shame the first one shut down.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote