The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 27 May 2015, 01:22 PM   #1
tahitianmoon
Banned

Watch: AP 15400ST
Is the engraved Rolex crown on the crystal of this Explorer 214270 correct?

I recently purchased an Explorer 214270 from a jeweler with great references on the Forum. The anti-counterfeiting Rolex logo on the crystal is located at the 4:00 marker. Is this correct? I would expect it to be at the 6:00 marker. Please let me know your thoughts.
tahitianmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2015, 01:33 PM   #2
Stevenbrla
"TRF" Member

I can't see the etching on my Yacht-Master or my Sub's crystal. Bad eyes, fake, or just dumb?
Stevenbrla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2015, 01:39 PM   #3
Rogdogg
2024 Pledge Member

The crystal is probably just not fitted correctly to have the LEC at the 6 o'clock position.
As the Explorer doesn't have a date and cyclops the person fitting it would have to be extra careful to make sure of this, which they probably weren't as they might not have thought about it.
Old 27 May 2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Rogdogg
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenbrla View Post
I can't see the etching on my Yacht-Master or my Sub's crystal. Bad eyes, fake, or just dumb?
It can be very difficult to see. Take a small flashlight and shine it parallel with the dial, pointing from the 12 o'clock to the 6 o'clock markers and you should see it appear with a little movement of the crystal.
Old 27 May 2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post
The crystal is probably just not fitted correctly to have the LEC at the 6 o'clock position.
As the Explorer doesn't have a date and cyclops the person fitting it would have to be extra careful to make sure of this, which they probably weren't as they might not have thought about it.
This....

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2015, 02:13 PM   #6
tahitianmoon
Banned

Watch: AP 15400ST
If the crystal is not fitted correctly, is it possible this happened at Rolex or aftermarket?
tahitianmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2015, 02:16 PM   #7
Rookie52
"TRF" Member

I haven't heard of the crystals being poorly fit from the factory
Rookie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2015, 01:29 PM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitianmoon View Post
If the crystal is not fitted correctly, is it possible this happened at Rolex or aftermarket?
It's not "poorly fitted" or "not fitted correctly". The non-date crystal is the same and can be fitted correctly with the coronet at any location. Typically it will be found at 6, but like the crown coronet, it could be found anywhere..
Old 30 May 2015, 05:34 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It's not "poorly fitted" or "not fitted correctly". The non-date crystal is the same and can be fitted correctly with the coronet at any location. Typically it will be found at 6, but like the crown coronet, it could be found anywhere..
Have to agree Larry trouble today Rolex no longer make watches they now make only alignment points.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2015, 05:49 PM   #10
Andad

Quote:
Hi Larry and Padi,

I read that this laser crown was applied to the crown at the 6 o'clock position after the crystal was placed on the watch.
If this is true then would it have been a mistake to fit the crystal with the laser crown at any other position?
The laser crown on my Sea Dweller, 14060M and 114060 are exactly at the 6 position as they came from Rolex.

I know, I know, don't believe everything you read.

Old 30 May 2015, 08:06 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Hi Larry and Padi,

I read that this laser crown was applied to the crown at the 6 o'clock position after the crystal was placed on the watch.
If this is true then would it have been a mistake to fit the crystal with the laser crown at any other position?
The laser crown on my Sea Dweller, 14060M and 114060 are exactly at the 6 position as they came from Rolex.

I know, I know, don't believe everything you read.

I would doubt that it would be quite time consuming to do every single one while in a watch.I know the Rolex Robots can work miracles to produce almost 800000 units a year.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2015, 06:42 PM   #12
Boxcars
Banned

Quote:
Wrong. If it isn't at 6, then a trip to RSC is order. They will correct it for you.
Boxcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2015, 07:03 PM   #13
Rogdogg
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcars View Post
Wrong. If it isn't at 6, then a trip to RSC is order. They will correct it for you.
I personally wouldn't send my watch in and risk scratching or dust on the dial or inside the crystal etc. caused by opening the case just to have it turned around to the 6 o'clock position.
Old 31 May 2015, 07:07 PM   #14
Andad

Quote:

Well I didn't put it quite like that.

Old 1 June 2015, 12:49 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Sure they will. But that doesn't mean that it is "poorly fitted" or "fitted incorrectly" it's just a trademark. It's simply not an issue that can cause the watch to operate or malfunction and easily addressed. I wouldn't put it on my list of running off to the RSC with.. I'm sure that you would.
Old 1 June 2015, 01:03 AM   #16
fisherman79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
It's true the LEC is only positioned at the 6 o clock marker from models with a date. Models without a date and the LEC not potisioned at 6 o clock is very common. It has been seen on de SND as well the Explorer 1 and Air King.
fisherman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2015, 01:31 AM   #17
RollieVerde
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman79 View Post
It's true the LEC is only positioned at the 6 o clock marker from models with a date. Models without a date and the LEC not potisioned at 6 o clock is very common. It has been seen on de SND as well the Explorer 1 and Air King.
I think that's bull. It seems extremely unlikely this watch came from the factory this way. My Explorer has the logo perfectly centered at the 6PM position, and I've never seen a new watch purchased from an AD that had the logo in any other location. Why would it be somewhere else? Do they just slap the crystal on the watch and ship it? It's logical to assume that they have a way of insuring the crystal is put on with proper location in mind during production (or the engraving is added after the crystal is installed). If the watch is opened and worked on it's easy to see how many watchmakers night not be as careful during reassembly. You purchased it online, so it could easily have been opened for some reason and the crystal removed and reinstalled. You have no way of knowing what the history of the watch is. Will RSC honor the warranty and put it right if you want? Perhaps.
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2015, 04:22 AM   #18
Hollywoodvillain
"TRF" Member

Watch: "fat lady" etc etc
most likely it was serviced and the watchmaker didn't think about the coronet etching on the crystal at time of re assembly , without having it in front of me or on my wrist i have no way of knowing if it would bother me or not ! but knowing it should be at 6:00 i would definitely want it put there in the event that it had to come apart for any reason ( future service ) . unless it jumps out at ya every time you look at the watch , worry about it down the road !
Hollywoodvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2016, 12:47 AM   #19
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitianmoon View Post
I recently purchased an Explorer 214270 from a jeweler with great references on the Forum. The anti-counterfeiting Rolex logo on the crystal is located at the 4:00 marker. Is this correct? I would expect it to be at the 6:00 marker. Please let me know your thoughts.

What did you finally did with it? Curious if the issue was poor craftsmanship from Rolex, lousie service of watch or a fake (which I doubt). My 214270 (bought used) dows have the crown edge at 6 pm, picture below

Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2016, 04:04 AM   #20
Memphis
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
why would something you can't see, even if you try, be an issue you need fixed??
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2016, 04:06 AM   #21
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
why would something you can't see, even if you try, be an issue you need fixed??

Guess he wants to make sure is 100% genuine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote