The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2024, 11:59 PM   #1
sherlock40
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
Rolex scratched after service

I sent in my nearly 5 year old DJ41 to the Dallas Rolex Service Center because it was consistently losing time, about -6s/d when I sent it in as it was still under warranty. I received it back yesterday and the caseback is all scratched. It was in pristine condition before sent in. I took multiple pictures right before I sent the watch because I feared this could happen. The first picture is a picture of the watch right before I sent it in, and the second is after I received it back from service. The watch should come back as sent in. I am going to call the service center tomorrow morning and am going to ask for a new caseback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sherlock40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 12:01 AM   #2
sherlock40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock40 View Post
I sent in my nearly 5 year old DJ41 to the Dallas Rolex Service Center because it was consistently losing time, about -6s/d when I sent it in as it was still under warranty. I received it back yesterday and the caseback is all scratched. It was in pristine condition before sent in. I took multiple pictures right before I sent the watch because I feared this could happen. The first picture is a picture of the watch right before I sent it in, and the second is after I received it back from service. The watch should come back as sent in. I am going to call the service center tomorrow morning and am going to ask for a new caseback.

And here is how I received it back…unacceptable in my opinion.

Old 12 February 2024, 12:12 AM   #3
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
It is very common unfortunately for stuff like this to happen I brought in my GMT Master at the service center in Toronto Canada and they dinged the case right over top of the lug it when I told them they did fix the issue by. polishing it. You were smart to take pictures but this is the way Rolex is only take your watches in there if their warranty work related if not find yourself an authorized dealer that does service and stick to it
Old 12 February 2024, 12:28 AM   #4
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Wow, this is sad! Sorry to hear about this. There's another thread that was just started about the RSC damaging the owner's polished case sides. Definitely unacceptable!
Hopefully they will give you a new caseback. It was very smart of you to take before photos as proof!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 12:30 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Why such huge pictures before a small ones after,it's just case back and these things happen.Casebacks are not expensive if it bothers you get case back replaced it's a very simple job.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 12:37 AM   #6
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

I get it. I would probably just buff it out myself or have somebody do it locally. Especially if the watch is running fine.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 01:12 AM   #7
sherlock40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Why such huge pictures before a small ones after,it's just case back and these things happen.Casebacks are not expensive if it bothers you get case back replaced it's a very simple job.
I can certainly take closer pictures of the after service caseback and it will look worse. I took a super close picture of the before so you can clearly see the scratches are not there. The scratches are clearly visible on the after service picture and this is from further away.
Old 12 February 2024, 01:28 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
I can certainly take closer pictures of the after service caseback and it will look worse. I took a super close picture of the before so you can clearly see the scratches are not there. The scratches are clearly visible on the after service picture and this is from further away.
It's still only a scratch on the case back which nobody will ever see when wearing, and will not effect the daily running of the watch.If not happy ask to have case back replaced they are not expensive and easily replaced.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 12 February 2024, 01:45 AM   #9
sherlock40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
It's still only a scratch on the case back which nobody will ever see when wearing, and will not effect the daily running of the watch.If not happy ask to have case back replaced they are not expensive and easily replaced.
I am well aware that this is the back of the case and does not change how the watch will run. This isn’t the point. The point is I see it. I know the scratches are there and I see them after I take of my watch. The point is the watch should come back in the same condition as it was received. People shouldn’t just accept that “things happen and oh well.” Some people do but I don’t.
Old 12 February 2024, 01:50 AM   #10
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
They train techs on DJ models
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 01:50 AM   #11
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
I am well aware that this is the back of the case and does not change how the watch will run. This isn’t the point. The point is I see it. I know the scratches are there and I see them after I take of my watch. The point is the watch should come back in the same condition as it was received. People shouldn’t just accept that “things happen and oh well.” Some people do but I don’t.
Could you please post a clearer picture of the after service?

Its almost impossible to see what scratches you are referring to

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 02:09 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Well the simple answer like I stated contact whoever serviced your watch with your complaint and tell them you want case back replaced end of story.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 12 February 2024, 02:21 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
You expect that a watch completely taken apart, moved, handled, measured, parts replaced, reassembled and tested, but it will be in the exact same condition as before.

A scratch can happen when you take it out of the packaging.
Old 12 February 2024, 03:25 AM   #14
Law52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmmm
I agree that it’s really unacceptable when having your watch serviced by Rolex.
Scratches don’t bother me when I place them there on my watches, but not by a confident watchmaker, especially Rolex.
Have a friend who’s a watchmaker, 37 years of experience, and I’ve spent countless hours in his shop and have seen the fine details put into servicing watches. He’d never let this out of his shop without correcting the issue.
Law52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 04:13 AM   #15
sherlock40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Could you please post a clearer picture of the after service?

Its almost impossible to see what scratches you are referring to

Here you go…an up close photo of the scratches. These did not happen while removing the watch from the packaging as another suggested. That’s absurd.
How come the watch when I purchased it had no scratches as it had to be assembled from scratch. This argument that handling will inevitably do this doesn’t hold water unless the handling is careless. If someone is careful, there is no excuse for doing this to the caseback.

Old 12 February 2024, 04:42 AM   #16
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Same thing happened to a 1 month old yellow gold DD40 I had sent in for the late midnight changeover issue around 2017. Sent to RSC Dallas and came back with caseback scratches. The way they described the condition upon receipt was crazy for an essentially brand new watch I did not wear daily (scratches all over, nicks in the crystal, etc).

My AD knew the Dallas people well, so when he called them to ask about the issue, they laughed at any mention of replacing parts or the watch. The only thing they offered was a polish which I in turn laughed at.

I'll think twice before sending any watch in short of it not working at all.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 04:45 AM   #17
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

The AD can polish it for you free of charge I'm sure. Don't worry easily fixed
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 05:03 AM   #18
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Makes you wonder what these clods are doing to the inside that you can’t see
Old 12 February 2024, 05:22 AM   #19
sherlock40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
Makes you wonder what these clods are doing to the inside that you can’t see
So true.
Old 12 February 2024, 05:32 AM   #20
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

I assume you paid for a polish
If so, then I sympathise completely.
But these things happen apparently, though I can't say it's ever happened with any of my Rolex watches and I reckon I have averaged a service on one about every 18 months over the years with the whole collecting thing thrown into the mix.
Even with watches that weren't polished
For example I am currently wearing a watch that has been serviced twice without polishing since it was new in 2011 and there's not a mark on the caseback bespite the watch being in the worst condition visually than any Rolex I have ever dealt with, owned and worn personally.
Quite frankly I struggle to comprehend how this can happen when they have all the gear at their disposal and it can only be caused by poor handling practices.

Please let us know how you go with it?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 05:35 AM   #21
Carraig
"TRF" Member

I assume the service was done under warranty. But it makes zero difference to me. The included 5 year warranty was part of the purchase price of the watch. You paid for this servicing, and got back a watch that was damaged. You paid for this damage. I'd have them set this right.
Carraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 05:36 AM   #22
jackminny15
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changin'
Same thing happened with my Bluesy, on one of the links. I was equally annoyed but decided to live with it. I don't understand why so many people have said to just slough it off. When you take your car in for servicing, you don't expect it to come back out with scratches. I can't understand why it should be any different for an expensive watch. There are plenty of videos on Youtube of watchmakers taking Rolexes apart and carefully wrapping pieces in plastic or taking other steps to make sure scratches don't happen. You'd think the manufacturer's own service people would at least do the same.
126613LB Submariner "Bluesy" | 126610LN Submariner Date | 126610LV Submariner "Cermit" | 126500LN Daytona "Panda" | Omega Seamaster Diver 300 green | Omega Aqua Terra "Summer Blue" | Omega Aqua Terra silver | Omega Aqua Terra blue wave | Tudor Black Blay 41 jubilee
jackminny15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 06:10 AM   #23
sherlock40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I assume you paid for a polish
If so, then I sympathise completely.
But these things happen apparently, though I can't say it's ever happened with any of my Rolex watches and I reckon I have averaged a service on one about every 18 months over the years with the whole collecting thing thrown into the mix.
Even with watches that weren't polished
For example I am currently wearing a watch that has been serviced twice without polishing since it was new in 2011 and there's not a mark on the caseback bespite the watch being in the worst condition visually than any Rolex I have ever dealt with, owned and worn personally.
Quite frankly I struggle to comprehend how this can happen when they have all the gear at their disposal and it can only be caused by poor handling practices.

Please let us know how you go with it?
No, I did not want my watch polished. I sent it in because it kept losing time since I purchased it, at -6s/day when I sent it in. Even though it is 5 years old and I wear it at least 5 days per week, I am careful with it and it does not need to be polished. I am the original owner and purchased through a Rolex AD. I will post updates as to how this is resolved.
Old 12 February 2024, 06:11 AM   #24
sherlock40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carraig View Post
I assume the service was done under warranty. But it makes zero difference to me. The included 5 year warranty was part of the purchase price of the watch. You paid for this servicing, and got back a watch that was damaged. You paid for this damage. I'd have them set this right.
Exactly. You get it.
Old 12 February 2024, 06:11 AM   #25
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I’d ask for this to be corrected. My biggest peeve on a watch is a dinged or scratch lug that happens as a result of taking off a bracelet. It bothers me too much and I’ll never buy a watch that has any kind of bracelet removal markings. second peeve is a scratched up case back. To each their own, but the only watches I like, are the ones I put on.
Old 12 February 2024, 06:12 AM   #26
sherlock40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackminny15 View Post
Same thing happened with my Bluesy, on one of the links. I was equally annoyed but decided to live with it. I don't understand why so many people have said to just slough it off. When you take your car in for servicing, you don't expect it to come back out with scratches. I can't understand why it should be any different for an expensive watch. There are plenty of videos on Youtube of watchmakers taking Rolexes apart and carefully wrapping pieces in plastic or taking other steps to make sure scratches don't happen. You'd think the manufacturer's own service people would at least do the same.
Exactly, you get it too.
Old 12 February 2024, 06:21 AM   #27
racerx
"TRF" Member

Too big a deal is being made of a slight scratch on the caseback, which isn’t seen when wearing the watch.
racerx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2024, 06:36 AM   #28
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It should not be acceptable and yet here we are weighing out if you want them to even touch it again.
There is no easy answer other than live with it or make a fuss and see if they will damage another part of your watch while replacing the case back. Is it worth the stress in the big picture??
In my mind I would rather pay for another case back and let Rikki touch my watch rather than roll the dice at the RSC. I don’t let anyone touch my watch unless I know who they are and have been vetted by me. I will pay up to adhere to my requirements.

http://www.timecareinc.com/
Old 12 February 2024, 07:06 AM   #29
sherlock40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
It should not be acceptable and yet here we are weighing out if you want them to even touch it again.
There is no easy answer other than live with it or make a fuss and see if they will damage another part of your watch while replacing the case back. Is it worth the stress in the big picture??
In my mind I would rather pay for another case back and let Rikki touch my watch rather than roll the dice at the RSC. I don’t let anyone touch my watch unless I know who they are and have been vetted by me. I will pay up to adhere to my requirements.

http://www.timecareinc.com/
Thank you. I may very will do this because you do make good points here, and sending it back in to the RSC and risking getting another part damaged has certainly crossed my mind.
Old 12 February 2024, 09:11 AM   #30
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
No, I did not want my watch polished. I sent it in because it kept losing time since I purchased it, at -6s/day when I sent it in. Even though it is 5 years old and I wear it at least 5 days per week, I am careful with it and it does not need to be polished. I am the original owner and purchased through a Rolex AD. I will post updates as to how this is resolved.
Thanks
I missed the bit that it was a warranty job
Perhaps you could live with it until it's first service and get the full spa treatment then which should put it right.
As Mystro suggests, Rikki is sounding like a great option going forward.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote