The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 17 May 2018, 11:29 PM   #1
RJK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out for that tree!
Dallas Ft Worth Panerai Process/Experience (I wish it was good news)

I would like to share my documented on-going experience with the DFW Panerai Service Center (PSC). My goal is to try and present the facts vs. adding my own opinion or thoughts on the matter in hopes that it'll help some of you down the road, but I’m sure I’ll fail at the latter.

Background:

I was able to score a PAM 579 with the help of a trusted seller from a Panerai Boutique this past April. Ref. 579 was a 2014 LE production Ti 47mm 8-days 1950 Destro Monopulsante with brown dial and gold hands. However, the day I received it, I noticed the chrono function was not working correctly. The chrono seconds counter would not reset to zero, e.g. 12 o’clock position, and the chrono minute counter would not count past the 10 min mark or zero.

Sending the watch back wasn’t an option because the boutique was overseas and the associated shipping/customs cost would have been prohibitive. With that said, I wore it for a few days knowing that it had been sitting for the last 4 years, in hopes that wearing it would warm up the 4 year old lubricant somehow….wishful thinking, I know.

Good news is, even though it was a 2014 production, since it was a Boutique find, it came with the 2-year warranty.

Service Center:

I’ve heard all the horror stories about the PSC, even the NYC one back in the day, and although I’ve tried to take the criticisms with a grain of salt, I couldn’t help but be a little apprehensive. On top of that, I’d never sent any watch of any brand back for service, although many are due for it, so I was a little lost.
For you first timers, here’s what I’ve learned from the United States PSC so far:

To send it in:
  • Call the DFW PSC and you’ll speak with a “Panerai Ambassador” (Rep)
  • The Rep will take notes on your issue, take down your contact info, and email you a form where you’ll describe in more detail what the issue(s) is and how to package/return the watch.
  • PSC will communicate when they receivethe watch
  • When the Panerai Technical Service person has gone over your watch, you’ll receive a work order which you will have to accept, and if applicable, payment by calling the PSC.
  • My form stated that from the time I approve the work, it would take approximately 3-4 weeks.

Current:

Sounds good right…doesn’t sound too bad, except after almost 2 weeks, lI’m currently at Step 4 (PSC has received the watch). Here is my timeline of events.
  • Monday, April 30: I sent my watch to the PSC (FedEx 2-day).
  • Wednesday, May 02: FedEx tracking states it has arrived
  • Thursday, May 03: Technical Service goes over the watch and writes up a work order which was sent via USPS First Class mail (I don’t know this at the time)
  • Wednesday, May 09: I haven’t heard anything from the PSC and I’ve been patient but figure a week is long enough time for them to look at my watch, so I call.
  • Rep tells me the work order was emailed to me on the 3rd. I tell her I had not received it. She tries to send it to me again…nothing. So I ask her to read it to me.
I find out I’m being charged for the repair. I advise her that although it’s a 2014 model it was purchased new just a week ago. She asked if I included the warranty booklet with the piece, which I did. The Rep stated they would send the Tech guys a message to verify and that sometimes they respond quickly, e.g. a few minutes. She tells me that she will call me back when she gets an update, most likely within the hour 3rd time emailing works and I finally get some documentation.
  • Thursday, May 10: I call the PSC and speak to a different Rep, who states that if it is a warranty issue, Technical Service has up to 72 hours to re-evaluate my watch to ensure it meets the warranty criteria (i.e. No unauthorized work done previously, impacts, other abuse, etc…). Great, so I'm talking to her on a Thurs, which means I won’t know anything till Monday (14th). She assures me someone is monitoring my issue and will call with an update.
  • Friday, May 11: Work order arrives by USPS First Class mail.

• Monday, May 14: No call, so I call them. Rep tells me the technicians must have higher than normal volume and she will send them a message letting them know it’s been over 72 hours. She says they will call me ASAP with an update.
  • I receive a FedEx shipping notification from Panerai to me!!!
  •  I call and find out that the Techs have mailed back my warranty booklet…apparently because they’re satisfied it was purchased recently from the Boutique, but they’re still going over the watch to make sure it was tampered with or damaged by me.
  • Wednesday, May 16: Yesterday I call back again, and happen to speak with a Rep I spoke with before….you know it’s a great time, when you start recognizing names and voices…..
  • She tells me the original work order has been rescinded, however the writer forgot to remove the charge from the new version so it will have to be amended before they can forward it to me. She places me on hold and when she returns tells me that the tech guys promised they would have a work order back to me by COB that day. As you can probably guess by now, that didn't happen. Nothing today as well.
I apologize for the long winded write-up, but I wanted to be as accurate as possible. I’ve also tried my best to refrain from adding my own frustrated language, but I’m sure you all can tell it has not been a pleasure.

I’m going to end up calling them again today, and hope that typing this all out reduces my temptation to lose my patients with Panerai. To be clear, my frustration comes from the fact that I have followed the process that was required of me, but Panerai has yet to follow through on ANY of it’s own processes, promises, deadlines, or communications with me. They have not initiated a conversation once, yet each time I have called there has been an update. Their errors are causing the delays, starting with assuming a 2014 Ref number was automatically out of warranty even though I clearly stated the date of purchase on the form they provided + included the warranty booklet which was stamped/dated for April 2018. And rather than trying to correct their error immediately, it’s almost like I went back into the 72 hr que with everyone else, except now it’s been 6 days/144 hrs

Without getting ahead of myself, I really hope they don’t screw up the work they’re eventually going to perform on my watch. I so wish I had an ETA movement in my watch right about now

Thanks for reading and will keep this post updated as the situation changes

BTW: If anyone has any hooks at the PSC or higher OP and/or any advice that would help ensure a positive outcome, I sure would appreciate it.

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko Golden Tuna SBBN 040, PAM 579, JLC Master Compressor Diving Chrono GMT NS in Yellow, DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa T-Graph, Doxa 750 Caribbean, PAM 190 "8-Days", PAM 162,TT DJ (Left to me by Dad)
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 05:51 AM   #2
mfer
"TRF" Member

Wish I could say I was surprised. I've had some bad experiences too.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 10:37 AM   #3
Bobby T
Banned

Its a Panerai.....what did you expect????
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:52 AM   #4
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
Its a Panerai.....what did you expect????
Really? Why bother replying at all?

OP, sorry to hear it hasn't been a good experience thus far. Hope they can pick up the standard going forward and please keep us posted.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 05:02 AM   #5
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
So far it sounds like a poor communication issue, and no indication that you aren’t going to be helped under warranty. I hope if they take care of you and do a good job on the warranty repair, you report that as well.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 10:37 AM   #6
charley
"TRF" Member

I'm sure they're doing the best they can. Be patient and understand their frustrations as well
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 12:16 PM   #7
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
So far it sounds like a poor communication issue, and no indication that you aren’t going to be helped under warranty. I hope if they take care of you and do a good job on the warranty repair, you report that as well.
^^^^hope so but too many of these stories that work out are not followed up on

much easier to bitch about it than to say they made it right. maybe this time will be different.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 10:27 AM   #8
RJK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
^^^^hope so but too many of these stories that work out are not followed up on

much easier to bitch about it than to say they made it right. maybe this time will be different.
My intention is to definitely follow-up with you guys. I don’t post a lot but I’ve been on the Panerai forums and attended many GTGs since 2004. I’ve read enough posts and been around the block enough where I also scratch my head when OPs never give a final disposition...I will.

With that said: On the 17th I called them back again and was told my warranty was accepted, work would begin shortly, and that it would take 3-4 weeks.

My only hope at this point is that it comes back without any issues.

Charley: With all due respect, I paid a lot for this watch (MSRP $22,500), and it arrived to me from the Boutique broken, so I hope you’ll understand that I’m not in an overly understanding or patient mood at this point. I’m not asking for any special treatment and I didn’t make up the process, Richemont/Panerai did...all I expect is that they abide by THEIR process.

So far they haven’t met any of their process responsibilities, so forgive me if I’m a bit worried about the more complex responsibilities of digging into my watch, considering they can’t/won’t even return a phone call, took 6 days to re-evaluate my watch when it took them a day the first time, etc...

Fingers crossed and an update to follow in a few weeks.

With Respect, Rob

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko Golden Tuna SBBN 040, PAM 579, JLC Master Compressor Diving Chrono GMT NS in Yellow, DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa T-Graph, Doxa 750 Caribbean, PAM 190 "8-Days", PAM 162,TT DJ (Left to me by Dad)
Old 24 May 2018, 02:56 PM   #9
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
My intention is to definitely follow-up with you guys. I don’t post a lot but I’ve been on the Panerai forums and attended many GTGs since 2004. I’ve read enough posts and been around the block enough where I also scratch my head when OPs never give a final disposition...I will.

With that said: On the 17th I called them back again and was told my warranty was accepted, work would begin shortly, and that it would take 3-4 weeks.

My only hope at this point is that it comes back without any issues.

Charley: With all due respect, I paid a lot for this watch (MSRP $22,500), and it arrived to me from the Boutique broken, so I hope you’ll understand that I’m not in an overly understanding or patient mood at this point. I’m not asking for any special treatment and I didn’t make up the process, Richemont/Panerai did...all I expect is that they abide by THEIR process.

So far they haven’t met any of their process responsibilities, so forgive me if I’m a bit worried about the more complex responsibilities of digging into my watch, considering they can’t/won’t even return a phone call, took 6 days to re-evaluate my watch when it took them a day the first time, etc...

Fingers crossed and an update to follow in a few weeks.

With Respect, Rob
looking forward to your update....hope to see you at a gtg soon

chgo_risti on IG
Old 24 May 2018, 06:13 PM   #10
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
I'm sure they're doing the best they can. Be patient and understand their frustrations as well

Why should we have to be patient and understand their frustration? They didn’t pay us thousands of dollars for a product.

We spend lots of money on these watches and we are the ones that need to accommodate them? I don’t think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 07:44 PM   #11
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

At least you are getting things sorted and they are being reactive....It doesn't seem like a long time between events in the timeline, but, that's my take on things. You seem to be more time-sensitive, which is fine and understandable.

Hope everything is sorted to your satisfaction & you get the watch back soon.

Anyway, not sure why the "trusted seller" didn't take the watch back or take care of sending it to the boutique.

Also, even if you were to handle the relations with the boutique instead of the "trusted seller", not sure why the customs fees would have been "prohibitive", since, presumably, they were already paid?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:20 PM   #12
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting situation and one that I wish I could say is a surprise but it is not. I have owned several Panerai's over the years and have had to send several back for warranty and repair issues. I have a good relationship with and Authorized Panerai AD and I send everything through them. In the order of how things get done at Panerai it appears that the Boutique and AD's get the priority when it come to service and repair work. Not so much with some other brands but Panerai for sure. I usually don't like a middle man filtering information and charging me a fee but on some occasions it is worth it. Good luck sorting this out. I have always had good results on the warranty or repair work once Panerai does it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 10:23 AM   #13
RJK
"TRF" Member

Dallas Ft Worth Panerai Process/Experience (Good news!!)

UPDATE: Today I received my watch back. I will post some pics later as I don't have access to my phone at the moment.

I received my shipping notice from OP last Thursday (07Jun2018), which is pretty close to exactly 3 weeks from when the warranty work was approved on 17May2018.

I'm happy to report that the watch came back in perfect working order in the short time I've had it back. I ran the chrono functions, as well as, all of the other hacking and time setting functions with no issues. There also wasn't any damage to the case or dust under the crystal, etc...

I was concerned that the relatively soft Grade 2 Ti case, compared with the SS models, would show marks from taking the case back off (or any other handling SNAFUs), but it's 100% perfect.

The watch head shipped with a clear rubber watch head protector and a small OP watch case, although interestingly enough the watch head wasn't put in the case

So all in all, despite the earlier communication issues, the OP technicians did a great job of fixing the problems.

Again, I'll post some pics later when I get home.

Thanks for following along...

Old 12 June 2018, 11:07 AM   #14
Dannyanderson
Banned

Good for you.
Dannyanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 11:29 AM   #15
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Dallas Ft Worth Panerai Process/Experience (I wish it was good news)

Good to hear. Thinking of sending my 422 in for service before selling it so this gives me a bit more confidence that it’ll be done right.

Do they include any written timing accuracy details?
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 13 June 2018, 11:00 AM   #16
RJK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Do they include any written timing accuracy details?

They don’t. I received a letter explaining the repair in general terms and an itemized list of expenses, I.e. Handling Charges, Cost of replacement parts, etc...In my case it was covered under warranty.

The only indication of accuracy is OPs statement saying “....the service of your timepiece has been completed and has passed all Quality Control testing.” So you’d have to infer that it’s been regulated to their standards

Here are a few pics as promised:

How it arrived

Wrist shots

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 13 June 2018, 12:29 PM   #17
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Looks great and nice travel case.
Old 13 June 2018, 02:04 PM   #18
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

glad it all worked out

chgo_risti on IG