The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 July 2019, 02:40 AM   #91
jcoltrane
"TRF" Member

Mine was delivered not too long ago, and I was told that's it for the year. The watch is stunning. The brand and geneve moved off of the case, updated map, and new city font are all vastly improved over the 5131. Patek isn't going to deliver many of these, it's part of their rare handcraft lineup now. Doesn't matter if the demand isn't there, these will all be spoken for IMO.
jcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 04:06 AM   #92
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Mine isn’t.

neither mine , this one is a keeper

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 04:09 AM   #93
Analysing You
"TRF" Member

That green strap is nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Analysing You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 09:51 AM   #94
S O G
"TRF" Member

Hello,

I got around to learning how to post pictures! It seems like there was a redirect with the image hosting site that I was using. If anyone can suggest a good service, I would appreciate it.

Hopefully the pictures below convey why I like this watch so much. The majesty of this watch is in the detail. For example, look at the boot on Italy. I also especially appreciate the shape of the UK and Ireland--it looks like a decent representation considering the media.

Here is something I found interesting. When I looked at the Patek name on the dial, I saw that in certain light the lettering casts a shadow--look at the G in Genveva. As such, it is not directly on the cloisonne--nor is it on back on the crystal. My guess is that there is a coat of clear material that protects the dial and the printing is on top of that. I will try to find out.

As mentioned earlier, it is the detail that makes the 5231 stand out. I took the same photo using a $65 microscope to show you the details under different natural lighting conditions using my hand to block or redirect light. In this first one, I tried to highlight the wire framing and its intricacy. Things that pop out at me are the Nordics, Yucatan Peninsula and Madagascar. I have been to the dial factory and saw first hand the work that is required to this. The patience to work with this material is beyond comprehension.

Same photo but now trying to show the colors. I appreciate the accuracy of the depiction of geographical features of the Americas. The mountain ranges look right to me. The colors of the oceans become a darker blue as you get out in the middle of the Arctic and Atlantic Oceans.

This essentially the same picture that was taken in direct light. I want show some of the fine details in the application of the enamel. The contrast between colors is not the same as the beautiful 5131R that was posted earlier. I think both have their merit and it will be interesting to see what the 5231R will look like when it comes out.

Finally, perhaps not a fair comparison but I wanted to show a comparison between this watch its predecessor--the 5131J. I think it is obvious that Patek is getting better making these dials. I have seen a number of the 5131s and and I have yet to see anything on a 5131J that matches this level of work. I think the same is true for the 5131J when compared to the 5131R--the rose gold always looked better to me. I am not sure if it is because of the skill level required to create the wire frames for Europe. Will we see more detail like Hokkaido on the depiction of Japan or the Korean Peninsula if a 5231R come out? Time will tell.

So far, I am very happy with this purchase. I find new things to appreciate every time I wear it. There are so many subtleties in the dial that you have to see one in person to appreciate it. I consider myself very fortunate.
Thanks, S. O. Gurmeet
S O G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 09:59 AM   #95
zahain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S O G View Post
Hello,

I got around to learning how to post pictures! It seems like there was a redirect with the image hosting site that I was using. If anyone can suggest a good service, I would appreciate it.

Hopefully the pictures below convey why I like this watch so much. The majesty of this watch is in the detail. For example, look at the boot on Italy. I also especially appreciate the shape of the UK and Ireland--it looks like a decent representation considering the media.

Here is something I found interesting. When I looked at the Patek name on the dial, I saw that in certain light the lettering casts a shadow--look at the G in Genveva. As such, it is not directly on the cloisonne--nor is it on back on the crystal. My guess is that there is a coat of clear material that protects the dial and the printing is on top of that. I will try to find out.

As mentioned earlier, it is the detail that makes the 5231 stand out. I took the same photo using a $65 microscope to show you the details under different natural lighting conditions using my hand to block or redirect light. In this first one, I tried to highlight the wire framing and its intricacy. Things that pop out at me are the Nordics, Yucatan Peninsula and Madagascar. I have been to the dial factory and saw first hand the work that is required to this. The patience to work with this material is beyond comprehension.

Same photo but now trying to show the colors. I appreciate the accuracy of the depiction of geographical features of the Americas. The mountain ranges look right to me. The colors of the oceans become a darker blue as you get out in the middle of the Arctic and Atlantic Oceans.

This essentially the same picture that was taken in direct light. I want show some of the fine details in the application of the enamel. The contrast between colors is not the same as the beautiful 5131R that was posted earlier. I think both have their merit and it will be interesting to see what the 5231R will look like when it comes out.

Finally, perhaps not a fair comparison but I wanted to show a comparison between this watch its predecessor--the 5131J. I think it is obvious that Patek is getting better making these dials. I have seen a number of the 5131s and and I have yet to see anything on a 5131J that matches this level of work. I think the same is true for the 5131J when compared to the 5131R--the rose gold always looked better to me. I am not sure if it is because of the skill level required to create the wire frames for Europe. Will we see more detail like Hokkaido on the depiction of Japan or the Korean Peninsula if a 5231R come out? Time will tell.

So far, I am very happy with this purchase. I find new things to appreciate every time I wear it. There are so many subtleties in the dial that you have to see one in person to appreciate it. I consider myself very fortunate.
Thanks, S. O. Gurmeet
Very nice closeup shots, stunning grand feu enamel
zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 10:05 AM   #96
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Great close up pics, SOG, thanks!
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 01:49 PM   #97
quattro100
"TRF" Member

Such stunning photos!

quattro100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 02:11 PM   #98
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks, S. O. Gurmeet
Great detailed post - thank you for taking the time to assemble it.
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 02:29 PM   #99
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks, S. O. Gurmeet

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for the pictures.
Old 17 July 2019, 03:57 PM   #100
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks, S. O. Gurmeet

Great pics and review,
the 31J is not comparable to the newer series but i think the 31R and the 5231J is comparable in quality and details ,specially i like more the former w/o branding.regarding your question on printing ,here s the answer one of their email artist I know and question regarding this earlier
“For the white words they are called « décalque » they put on the enamel dial.”

Afaik it s kind of stickers on the top of the email fixed on low heat.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 06:39 PM   #101
pvinpvin
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the close up pics. I thnk it's quite an upgrade on the map from 5131J to 5231J.
pvinpvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 09:45 PM   #102
nan7yo
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing, such a beautiful piece and all great shots. Now I know why everyone treat this as the grail!

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks, S. O. Gurmeet

nan7yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 10:39 AM   #103
orandoyle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Both WOS and Boodles told me as a company they were getting 2 pieces each this year, Boodles have 5 branches and WOS has 4 branches dealing with Patek.

"Peter Shore" mentioned in an earlier post that his AD and another AD in a neighbouring town (both I believe family owned) were getting 5231Js this year. Therefore not sure how the allocation process work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I don’t think ‘Peter’ was referring to both ‘local family’ stores, the first was a family store (the one with multiple sites) and the second one was Boodles.
Who is this Peter? His name come up regularly and can't figure out who he is
orandoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 08:02 PM   #104
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Not sure where Peter has gone. He did have some good insight whilst he was active on the site.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 08:18 PM   #105
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by orandoyle View Post
Who is this Peter? His name come up regularly and can't figure out who he is
You are really focused on this Peter guy? Not sure why it matters... best of luck
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 08:21 PM   #106
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
Not sure where Peter has gone. He did have some good insight whilst he was active on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
You are really focused on this Peter guy? Not sure why it matters... best of luck
It should be "Peter"
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 08:35 PM   #107
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
It should be "Peter"
With “ “. Got it
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags