The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 July 2019, 12:26 AM   #1
Wimbledon
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2019
Real Name: Seriously?
Location: Upper East Side
Watch: Me Serve
Posts: 274
215PS Reliability

Hey Folks,

New to PP. I've been a Rolex and Panerai guy for 25 years. Forgive my ignorance as I get up to speed.

Will my 215PS get me a decent 8-10 years before needing service? I know this always depends, but I'm speaking on average. I know that it is an older movement. But overally is it pretty reliable?

Thanks, Mac
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 12:50 AM   #2
Yk101
"TRF" Member
 
Yk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
Hey Folks,



New to PP. I've been a Rolex and Panerai guy for 25 years. Forgive my ignorance as I get up to speed.



Will my 215PS get me a decent 8-10 years before needing service? I know this always depends, but I'm speaking on average. I know that it is an older movement. But overally is it pretty reliable?



Thanks, Mac


It is a simple enough movement. I had my 5119 for about 15 years before selling it and didnít have any issues at all.
Yk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 07:03 PM   #3
leisen
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 146
I’ve also a 5119 since 2008 without a single issue.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 01:42 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Real Name: Bob
Location: United States
Watch: Rolex and Patek
Posts: 4,149
Its a work horse movement which PP loves and continues to use. Highly reliable and accurate. How long between services? Who knows, could be anywhere from 3 years to 20 years.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 02:28 AM   #5
Juantxo
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,101
Good luck with that. Wait until you send it for service to NY and youíll soon be selling that watch and never wanting a PP again.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 02:50 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
Good luck with that. Wait until you send it for service to NY and you’ll soon be selling that watch and never wanting a PP again.
I am happy w my local Patek Service Center both in terms of work and service time. Even better it is just a 10 min bicycle ride from my place, no shipping involved and much closer than my AD who is 100+ miles away. Certainly no reason to not own some Pateks...
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:27 AM   #7
leisen
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisen View Post
Iíve also a 5119 since 2008 without a single issue.
I need to correct my previous comment. 2 months ago when winding my PP 5119R powered by the 215PS caliber I heard a "click" and the watch stopped. The watch was sent to PP Facilities in Barcelona and returned 7 weeks later. A full service was performed and the barrel and the mainspring were changed.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:47 AM   #8
Pim
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisen View Post
I need to correct my previous comment. 2 months ago when winding my PP 5119R powered by the 215PS caliber I heard a "click" and the watch stopped. The watch was sent to PP Facilities in Barcelona and returned 7 weeks later. A full service was performed and the barrel and the mainspring were changed.

How much did that set you back ?
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:55 AM   #9
djona
2020 Pledge Member
 
djona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: USA
Watch: 5196G
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
How much did that set you back ?
Also curious about this.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 12:37 AM   #10
leisen
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
How much did that set you back ?
Total price was 1008 EUR. My AD told me taht it's the same fare as a normal service although according the PP website it should be 900 CHF. Maybe they add some fee to send the watch to PP.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 01:47 AM   #11
Tony64
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,796
My only objection to the cal 215 is that itís much too small for most, if not all, of the current references in which itís housed.

Perfect as designed for a 31-33mm case and, as movements go, itís bullet proof.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 07:53 PM   #12
leisen
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
My only objection to the cal 215 is that itís much too small for most, if not all, of the current references in which itís housed.

Perfect as designed for a 31-33mm case and, as movements go, itís bullet proof.

I agree with you, however it seems to me that the case display back design makes the caliber look pretty well and balanced, at least better than the 5123.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.