The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 May 2017, 10:00 PM   #1
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Sunday in Singapore

On a rare day off, all my chores and housework done, 30k ride on fat bike done and Mrs Van D on her way from Basel to Barcelona via London. What does young Ruud do with himself? I know, let's go to OP.

The head of retail for all of Asia is in for a couple of days and proceeded to drool over my 689. After talking to him, it's left me realising exactly how lucky I am to have scored a 689. They're all gone from from the OP boutiques around the globe, every single one. And there's no plans for another at this time.

Next it was time to do some hunting. I had a play with the 687, 389 and my beloved 533. I think I need another watch box..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3018.jpg (126.0 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3019.jpg (112.5 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3021.jpg (86.4 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3023.jpg (92.8 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3024.jpg (114.0 KB, 330 views)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 10:16 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Fun trip!

The 389 fits you perfectly, and would add some variety and spice to your growing Pamily for sure.

And I have to admit, you've won me over on the 533. I especially like getting the "9" on the dial.

Thanks for the pics!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 10:49 PM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Oh the slow date change......
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 10:50 PM   #4
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
533 looks good Paul
Old 28 May 2017, 11:04 PM   #5
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
looks like a 685, not a 687....still nice though

hagd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1244.jpg (72.1 KB, 313 views)

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 11:04 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I dunno Paul, when the cats away the mice will play

You certainly have a beauty collection, any of those would be a great fit

EDIT: and just as I type this DSW has a beautiful 690 for sale .....
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 12:11 AM   #7
nick c
Banned

Fun time,I did the same in the Caribbean last week tried a few pieces myself.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 12:14 AM   #8
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Nice looking pieces!
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 02:04 AM   #9
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

It is indeed a 685. Sorry guys, I was told 687 but we were talking about the egg yolk version too so I guess it's easy to get confused.

I must admit, I'm torn by the 389. It's a great piece and I'd really enjoy wearing it.

My guy at OP has advised against the 533 and said to go for the 389 as it would diversify my collection. His concern is that the 533 is ostensibly the same as my 689 just not as pretty. It's also bugging him that once I get a 533 I might stop wearing my 359. His first point is fair enough but then I said that I know of people on here that only have Daytonas (Trace - aka RolexKingofLV). There's another member that has about 800 Sea-Dwellers (Jason, I think) so why can't I have two GMT Luminor 1950s with the P2003 movement. A point he conceded. Then, I love my 359 and there's no way that will not get worn. As a point of interest, I usually change my watch in rotation every week; last time out I kept my 359 on for three weeks. Three straight weeks. None of my watches has stayed on that long before. Incidentally, it gained five seconds in that three weeks, which is pretty amazing.

Then, the retail manager for the whole of Asia appeared. His view? We spend most of our lives making decisions with our heads based on logic, intelligence and common sense. This is one of those rare occasions where you can choose with your heart, so do exactly that and choose your watch with your heart. Deep. Very deep. And equally profound. I guess that'll be the 533 then

Now, remember someone posted a picture a couple of months back showing a dude wearing a 359 with a gold strap. They had it in stock and we put it against my 689. O M G! They're going to throw it in with my next incoming on 29th July.

This pic here is the one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0315.JPG (103.1 KB, 278 views)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 29 May 2017, 02:22 AM   #10
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Fun trip!

The 389 fits you perfectly, and would add some variety and spice to your growing Pamily for sure.

And I have to admit, you've won me over on the 533. I especially like getting the "9" on the dial.

Thanks for the pics!
Try one and believe

I had the 233 out too. When I had it on my wrist I noticed that the dome crystal, yep, the one I said had been discontinued (), seemed to distort the outer edges of the numbers. Maybe it was just me but I think that would annoy me. I love the balance of the 533 and it just sings to me so loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
533 looks good Paul
Thanks, Clive. I can't wait to get mine for real

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I dunno Paul, when the cats away the mice will play

You certainly have a beauty collection, any of those would be a great fit

EDIT: and just as I type this DSW has a beautiful 690 for sale .....
Ouchy! That's about US$1,500 more than I could have had one from OP Singapore last year, brand new.

As for my next , it has to be the 533, Brian. However, the guys in OP did pull this out............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3027.jpg (83.7 KB, 266 views)

Old 29 May 2017, 05:59 AM   #11
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Paul, looking forward to your incoming of the 533. Great choice!

Aside from the gold strap, are you also getting the Panerai watch box free? If you are, you will now have to add 3 more PAMs in the future to fill up the remaining 3 slots.
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 06:07 AM   #12
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Great collection of PAMs did you score that wooden box ?

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 12:08 PM   #13
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnub View Post
Paul, looking forward to your incoming of the 533. Great choice!

Aside from the gold strap, are you also getting the Panerai watch box free? If you are, you will now have to add 3 more PAMs in the future to fill up the remaining 3 slots.
Me too Alain, I can't wait

I sent Mrs Van D a pic of the watch box saying that they'd given it to me. Didn't go down very well as she bought me a very nice (and I think hand made) box for my Panerais last Christmas. I had to let her know it was a joke and I'm glad she's 7,000 miles away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
Great collection of PAMs did you score that wooden box ?
Not yet, Ed I know I'll score at least one strap with my 533 but I'm hoping to get a black 'gator thrown in too

They don't give the biggest discounts at OP Singapore but the customer service there is like nothing I've ever encountered before. I don't know if this sort of service is unique to Singapore or if it's typical of OP boutiques the world over. Either way, whoever is recruiting and training these guys in Singapore most certainly knows what they are doing.

Old 29 May 2017, 01:45 PM   #14
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post

They don't give the biggest discounts at OP Singapore but the customer service there is like nothing I've ever encountered before. I don't know if this sort of service is unique to Singapore or if it's typical of OP boutiques the world over. Either way, whoever is recruiting and training these guys in Singapore most certainly knows what they are doing.
That's important it's what keeps you coming back.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 02:34 PM   #15
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It is indeed a 685. Sorry guys, I was told 687 but we were talking about the egg yolk version too so I guess it's easy to get confused.

I must admit, I'm torn by the 389. It's a great piece and I'd really enjoy wearing it.

My guy at OP has advised against the 533 and said to go for the 389 as it would diversify my collection. His concern is that the 533 is ostensibly the same as my 689 just not as pretty. It's also bugging him that once I get a 533 I might stop wearing my 359. His first point is fair enough but then I said that I know of people on here that only have Daytonas (Trace - aka RolexKingofLV). There's another member that has about 800 Sea-Dwellers (Jason, I think) so why can't I have two GMT Luminor 1950s with the P2003 movement. A point he conceded. Then, I love my 359 and there's no way that will not get worn. As a point of interest, I usually change my watch in rotation every week; last time out I kept my 359 on for three weeks. Three straight weeks. None of my watches has stayed on that long before. Incidentally, it gained five seconds in that three weeks, which is pretty amazing.

Then, the retail manager for the whole of Asia appeared. His view? We spend most of our lives making decisions with our heads based on logic, intelligence and common sense. This is one of those rare occasions where you can choose with your heart, so do exactly that and choose your watch with your heart. Deep. Very deep. And equally profound. I guess that'll be the 533 then

Now, remember someone posted a picture a couple of months back showing a dude wearing a 359 with a gold strap. They had it in stock and we put it against my 689. O M G! They're going to throw it in with my next incoming on 29th July.

This pic here is the one:

Really interesting post, thanks. The debate between the head and the heart should ALWAYS be won by the heart when it comes to watches, IMHO.

Just an FYI - that "gold" strap is the JV (Jules Verne) strap. It's a gorgeous strap for sure, but just in case you're not aware, it will develop heavy patina with use, and change to a more glossy medium-brown color.

The attached picture posted by Mik shows a well-aged JV on the right.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0542.jpg (98.5 KB, 226 views)
Old 29 May 2017, 08:03 PM   #16
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really interesting post, thanks. The debate between the head and the heart should ALWAYS be won by the heart when it comes to watches, IMHO.

Just an FYI - that "gold" strap is the JV (Jules Verne) strap. It's a gorgeous strap for sure, but just in case you're not aware, it will develop heavy patina with use, and change to a more glossy medium-brown color.

The attached picture posted by Mik shows a well-aged JV on the right.

I'm glad you said that, Cru. My head says 389 but my heart screams 533; my head is also a naughty little monkey because it says if I buy the 389, I save about $4,000 and can put it towards a...... Nick (1st AMG) warned me about that a year ago and I'm not going there!

I like the way the JV has developed in Mik's picture, so will now pick it up for sure. In fact, once I pick up my 533 I'll be putting in another order with John Glance and I'm wondering if he can do a Teju lizard in the same or very similar colour. That should retain it's colour. But back to the JV, you should see it on my 689, it really was a sight to behold and gives the watch an unbelievable appearance.

Old 29 May 2017, 08:11 PM   #17
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm glad you said that, Cru. My head says 389 but my heart screams 533; my head is also a naughty little monkey because it says if I buy the 389, I save about $4,000 and can put it towards a...... Nick (1st AMG) warned me about that a year ago and I'm not going there!

I like the way the JV has developed in Mik's picture, so will now pick it up for sure. In fact, once I pick up my 533 I'll be putting in another order with John Glance and I'm wondering if he can do a Teju lizard in the same or very similar colour. That should retain it's colour. But back to the JV, you should see it on my 689, it really was a sight to behold and gives the watch an unbelievable appearance.

That project with John sounds great! Can't wait to see.... I'd love to get a lizard strap, so you may just inspire me.

As for 533 vs 389, the question for me is more 533 AND 389 or just 533....
Old 29 May 2017, 09:15 PM   #18
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Such a great place. Spent quite a bit of time there and KL in 90s and early 0's.
Old 29 May 2017, 11:56 PM   #19
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Holy smokes, that 685 is spectacular!
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 01:34 AM   #20
benvh
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing!

Ben
benvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 09:58 AM   #21
Newbie@SIN
"TRF" Member

Excellent pics Sir!
Newbie@SIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 11:59 AM   #22
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That project with John sounds great! Can't wait to see.... I'd love to get a lizard strap, so you may just inspire me.

As for 533 vs 389, the question for me is more 533 AND 389 or just 533....
A strap that colour will work with all (soon to be) three of my PAMs so it sounds like a great choice.

Now stop that enabling, young man! Just stop it! I expect Nick will be along soon posting THAT pic of his 372. You're as bad as each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Holy smokes, that 685 is spectacular!
It's pretty smart , Dan. I like the way it wears on the wrist too. It's quite thin for a Panerai and it's extremely comfortable. In fact, I left it on and forgot it was there, that's how comfortable it was

Old 30 May 2017, 12:22 PM   #23
nick c
Banned

Quote:
A strap that colour will work with all (soon to be) three of my PAMs so it sounds like a great choice.

Now stop that enabling, young man! Just stop it! I expect Nick will be along soon posting THAT pic of his 372. You're as bad as each other

It's pretty smart , Dan. I like the way it wears on the wrist too. It's quite thin for a Panerai and it's extremely comfortable. In fact, I left it on and forgot it was there, that's how comfortable it was

What's up Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2639.jpg (108.5 KB, 173 views)
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2017, 04:34 PM   #24
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
What's up Paul
Hey, Nick. Nothing much, mate la la la la la la la la la la la, I'm not listening