The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 January 2010, 03:47 AM   #1
jpointus
"TRF" Member

Sea Dweller Question for Experts/Watchmakers

My Sea Dweller got really dirty with old grease and oil from my motorcycle the other day when an oil line broke in my hands. The watch was due a clean anyway. I usually clean it with mild soapy water and a toothbrush then thoroughly rinse it.

But this time was different (I'd drunk a good sized Martini, and without thinking I started cleaning with a Cap Cod cloth and then I caught myself after a couple of minutes...(I'm a diver and I'm used to religiously rinsing all gear including watches as we're told to.)...so I immediately started rinsing the SD in water and toothbrush.

My question is this:

Will the brief exposure to the Petroleum distillates have compromised any of the gaskets? (The back plate and crown were sealed at the time)

I know there are lots of folks on this forum who use such cleaning agents to polish, but I have never done so I have seen enough degraded gaskets from all kinds of gear to know not to put any chemicals anywhere near diving gear.

I'm not interested in hearing from folks who have used cape cod cloths and report that's "everything seems fine to them", and "not to worry".

I'd really be appreciative if someone with professional authority could chime in and give me a steer on this as I will probably use their reply to decide whether I go get some new gaskets installed. (The current gaskets are about two years old from last servicing).

Many thanks!
jpointus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Balboa

The o-rings are nitrile rubber. Buna-N is a common industry name. They are resistant to most petroleum products and are commonly used as oil, transmission fluid, grease and hydraulic oil seals.

The very small exposure to petroleum byproducts from wiping with a Cape Cod cloth will not hurt them.

As always the best thing for your watch is gentle soap and warm water.

Mark
Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 07:03 AM   #3
jpointus
"TRF" Member

Thanks Mark!

Well that's good news, especially good since it means they are way tougher than I previously thought...

Thanks again!

Jonathan
jpointus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 07:15 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa View Post
The o-rings are nitrile rubber. Buna-N is a common industry name. They are resistant to most petroleum products and are commonly used as oil, transmission fluid, grease and hydraulic oil seals.

The very small exposure to petroleum byproducts from wiping with a Cape Cod cloth will not hurt them.

As always the best thing for your watch is gentle soap and warm water.

Mark

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 11:48 AM   #5
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

I assume baby shampoo not Joy "Detergnet"
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Balboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
I assume baby shampoo not Joy "Detergnet"
Baby shampoo would probably be great. I use regular Palmolive green dish soap. The old fashioned plain type without scents, flavors, extra degreasers, etc. Sometimes a little hard to find among the clutter.

Mark
Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote