The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 27 January 2010, 11:44 AM   #1
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Vintage Rolex Crystals.. IE #19 Is there a difference from Current Rolex Part?

Vintage Rolex Crystals.. IE #19 Is there a difference from Current Rolex Part?

It seems that Rolex replaces acrylic crystals as part of their standard service. I have seen that most watchmakers charge about 30 dollars for a crystal for a vintage 5512/5513 sub if it is not included in the service price. These watchmakers state they use Rolex parts or have Rolex parts accounts. I see acrylic crystals on this site and ebay #19 for hundreds of dollars. Is the #19 the current crystal Rolex provides? Any help in understanding the huge price difference would be appreciated. I can see a premium for a part that Rolex no longer makes, but I don’t understand the price for a current part.

Thanks
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2010, 12:15 PM   #2
robsteve
"TRF" Member

I think the Ebay pricing is just for those that can't order Rolex parts or are for vintage/collectible crystals. Did the crystal design change even though it is the same part number? Steve Mullholland just post a list of vintage crystal and there is a picture at the end of the list that illustrates something if they are both the same part number.

I was in at the watchmakers today and he told me the Rolex original acrylic crystals are about $40. He has a Rolex parts account.

BTW, I saw a generic crystal on ebay for my 6150 Explorer for $5.25, which is probably what they are truly worth if not a Rolex branded part.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crystal-Ref-25-2...item35a345c474

Robert

Last edited by robsteve; 27 January 2010 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: new info
robsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2010, 12:19 PM   #3
robsteve
"TRF" Member

Here is your 25-19 generic crystal from the same seller, at $17. For $23 more, you might as well get an original Rolex part.

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-19-Vintage-st...item35a345b7f1
robsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2010, 02:09 PM   #4
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Thanks,
I just don’t understand why someone would buy a currently in production crystal at this price. And normally if you need a new crystal, you will need a watchmaker to put it in anyway. Maybe these are not the same crystals Rolex is currently using??
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote