The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 November 2017, 10:36 AM   #1
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

44ti stopped

Stopped a couple hours after taking it off the wrist and can barely wind. Is not the first time this happened and I use the chronograph on occasion but only for few minutes. Anyone have these issues with 44?
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 11:03 AM   #2
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Regrettably, several members have noted similar issues with their AP timepieces. In my view, it has become a little worrying frankly. Most report good service experiences, though out of warranty it is not inexpensive.

I'm sorry for your misfortune and hope it can be resolved soon and without excessive cost. Please do keep us informed of any insight AP provide on the issue and on your service experience.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 11:09 AM   #3
PJ S
Banned

Don't force wind it, get in touch with your local APSC, and get the ball rolling on having it sorted.
If it's done the same before but out of service warranty, you may need to argue the previous repair failed to fix the issue. Your local consumer laws will let you know where you stand in that regard, and what their legal obligations are.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 11:15 AM   #4
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
Regrettably, several members have noted similar issues with their AP timepieces. In my view, it has become a little worrying frankly. Most report good service experiences, though out of warranty it is not inexpensive.

I'm sorry for your misfortune and hope it can be resolved soon and without excessive cost. Please do keep us informed of any insight AP provide on the issue and on your service experience.
Thank goodness I still have warranty on it. Purchased brand new in March and worn it on rotation with other pieces so it's not my daily beater. Just a bit surprised the reliability on these 44's isn't so reliable after all.
Old 26 November 2017, 11:22 AM   #5
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezinhk View Post
Thank goodness I still have warranty on it. Purchased brand new in March and worn it on rotation with other pieces so it's not my daily beater. Just a bit surprised the reliability on these 44's isn't so reliable after all.
Pleased to hear that it is covered by the warranty, though that obviously does not speak well of the reliability as you note.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 11:26 AM   #6
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Probably someone should start a thread tracking all these issues and number of occurance. Small number frankly but concerning.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 11:28 AM   #7
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=PJ S;8066948]Don't force wind it, get in touch with your local APSC, and get the ball rolling on having it sorted.

Will do that for sure but with Xmas/holidays around the corner and presumably they send it back to Switzerland to fix, this process will take a long long time.
Old 26 November 2017, 11:40 AM   #8
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
[QUOTE=ezinhk;8067009]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Don't force wind it, get in touch with your local APSC, and get the ball rolling on having it sorted.

Will do that for sure but with Xmas/holidays around the corner and presumably they send it back to Switzerland to fix, this process will take a long long time.
This is an interesting question. With an APSC in Singapore, will repairs from HK go there or back to the mother ship?
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 12:01 PM   #9
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=HK Islandboy;8067031]
Quote:

This is an interesting question. With an APSC in Singapore, will repairs from HK go there or back to the mother ship?
We have APSC in HK but they usually send repairs back to Switzerland.
Old 26 November 2017, 12:20 PM   #10
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunate timing, if that needs to be the case, but ultimately immaterial as you'll rightfully expect an extension to the warranty commesurate with the time away from you.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

Such a bummer every time I read a thread or post regarding problems with the 3126 movement in the offshores. Seems like the problems are out of control honestly with many memebers on TRF having issues on new watches. Makes me wonder if 5 years from now I will have to spend lots of $ keeping my 44 operational when the warranty is expired. Gives me a bad taste with the brand hope all gets sorted out for you but I'm sure it will be January berries it is returned.
Rmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 12:31 PM   #12
G'ed
"TRF" Member

AP motto “To break the rules, you must first master them”

I think AP is either still in the process of mastering high-end watch production or mastering the process of breaking the typical rule that high-end watch should be reliable enough for daily usage.

My 15400 has been with APSC Singapore for past 2 months for complete overhaul due to banking issue and date wheel not working. Hope it come back soon working properly...
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 01:30 PM   #13
tng11
"TRF" Member

I know (and expect) other members will chime in to report they haven't had any issues with their pieces. That's fine. But it's still concerning that there's a increasing number of people reporting their 3126 movements are failing pretty much out of the box. Yes, AP will fix it, but it should have been right out of the box, especially for the amounts of money we're talking about. At best it's indicative of poor quality control at the factory, or worse, some kind of design/reliability fault that may lead to very expensive repairs required outside of warranty.

I also had an issue with a ROC movement going bad not long after the warranty expired. Cost me a pretty penny to rectify. I won't lie, but that left a somewhat sour taste in my mouth.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 02:24 PM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
No surprise join the club. I’m one of the ones crazy enough to have ordered another with the same movement

Bottom line, AP will sort it quickly. I would never want to own an AP out of warranty. Ever.

Still obsessed with the brand. AP/PP/Rolex/Lange
Old 26 November 2017, 02:29 PM   #15
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
While I am lucky enough not to encounter serious issues despite owning 7 APs ( perhaps down to luck ), I know their QC straight out of the factory has a lot of room for improvement, judging by the feedback in this forum and fellow WIS-friends who got issues. They do need to sort this out. It's fortunate that most of them, after-sales service has been excellent to patch up any problems quickly.
Old 26 November 2017, 04:47 PM   #16
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unfortunate timing, if that needs to be the case, but ultimately immaterial as you'll rightfully expect an extension to the warranty commesurate with the time away from you.
As reasonable expectation as that is, I don’t recall reading that AP gives such an extension
Old 26 November 2017, 04:50 PM   #17
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=ezinhk;8067087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post

We have APSC in HK but they usually send repairs back to Switzerland.
It would be interesting to know how decisions are made in what gets serviced locally versus going back to Switzerland. In any event, I hope AP sorts out the problem quickly

As an aside there’s a nice (though dated) write up on a visit to the Singapore APSC on one of the other watch sites - won’t post a link per TRF rules, but it’s easily found with a google search
Old 26 November 2017, 05:18 PM   #18
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I have had several issues with my ROO - posted about it a couple of weeks back.

Try and have them replace the movement. Sorry to hear about your disappointment.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 05:21 PM   #19
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoor View Post
Such a bummer every time I read a thread or post regarding problems with the 3126 movement in the offshores. Seems like the problems are out of control honestly with many memebers on TRF having issues on new watches. Makes me wonder if 5 years from now I will have to spend lots of $ keeping my 44 operational when the warranty is expired. Gives me a bad taste with the brand hope all gets sorted out for you but I'm sure it will be January berries it is returned.
Never get a 3126 powered Offshore out of warranty. And make sure you do your due diligence by testing the chrono function (it impacts the time function of the watch heavily like loss of power reserve and full dead stop) before committing if its out of the warranty period.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 05:30 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post

+1

Its frustrating to keep seeing these threads with the frequency that we are, especially recently. Both of my 44's are under warranty and one has broken. Honestly, i don't hardly ever use the chronograph anymore on either. Its not worth the hassle if they do break and i have no confidence that they won't. If i wouldn't have taken a bath on them with resale value, one for sure, but maybe both would be gone by now.

If you like your local service center then i suppose its not as big of a deal to deal with them if something does happen, so that is a factor as well.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 06:54 PM   #21
Xerxes77
Banned

Sendid back to service and they need to replace chrono module!
I have 2 AP ROO with this problem!
I think it’s time to AP to fixed this problem because the number of memebers who have problems it’s rise!
I tell about this problem about a year ago when I buy a AP ROO rose gols from AD Friday and Monday I will get back because the watch stop. I ask to replace the watch but they tell me it’s not possible and send it to service who change chrono module.
After the watch arrive back work 2 week and stop again. I send it back and need again to replace chrono module. I sell it.
This is why I have a battle with me because I like AP ROO but I don’t need any trouble....
AP ROC I heard have a good movement 2385.
Hope one day AP fix this problem because AP know this problem from long time ago...
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 06:56 PM   #22
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
+1

Its frustrating to keep seeing these threads with the frequency that we are, especially recently. Both of my 44's are under warranty and one has broken. Honestly, i don't hardly ever use the chronograph anymore on either. Its not worth the hassle if they do break and i have no confidence that they won't. If i wouldn't have taken a bath on them with resale value, one for sure, but maybe both would be gone by now.

If you like your local service center then i suppose its not as big of a deal to deal with them if something does happen, so that is a factor as well.
I agree with you.
It’s frustrating to pay that amount of money and then to can’t enjoy your watch!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2017, 11:37 PM   #23
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Bottom line, AP will sort it quickly. I would never want to own an AP out of warranty. Ever.

That's for sure. Luckily have warranty until 2022. Probably flip it way before then
Old 26 November 2017, 11:38 PM   #24
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=HK Islandboy;8067569]
Quote:

It would be interesting to know how decisions are made in what gets serviced locally versus going back to Switzerland. In any event, I hope AP sorts out the problem quickly

As an aside there’s a nice (though dated) write up on a visit to the Singapore APSC on one of the other watch sites - won’t post a link per TRF rules, but it’s easily found with a google search
Thx mate
Old 26 November 2017, 11:45 PM   #25
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
Sendid back to service and they need to replace chrono module!
I have 2 AP ROO with this problem!
I think it’s time to AP to fixed this problem because the number of memebers who have problems it’s rise!
I tell about this problem about a year ago when I buy a AP ROO rose gols from AD Friday and Monday I will get back because the watch stop. I ask to replace the watch but they tell me it’s not possible and send it to service who change chrono module.
After the watch arrive back work 2 week and stop again. I send it back and need again to replace chrono module. I sell it.
This is why I have a battle with me because I like AP ROO but I don’t need any trouble....
AP ROC I heard have a good movement 2385.
Hope one day AP fix this problem because AP know this problem from long time ago...
Thanks for the comments mate. Hope my problem is not serious or anything to do with the chrono module. Already getting a sour taste even though the watch is still under warranty
Old 26 November 2017, 11:54 PM   #26
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for the comments and advice. Very surprised to hear so many AP's have technical issues. Especially for a prestigious brand with over 140 years history and DNA, they ought to do better than this...goodness. Starting to lose confidence in this brand.
Old 26 November 2017, 11:56 PM   #27
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
HK service centre had my ceramic 44 back to me within a month and it only took that long because they were waiting for the blue hands (at the time the watch was so hot off the press they didn’t have stock of the hands and their policy during an overhaul repair is to replace the hands). Even my ROO RG Tourbillon which has also broken will be fixed within 6-7 weeks and that has to go back to CH. Of course disappointing it broke but amazing turnaround times - they are bending over backwards to get things quickly resolved. Sorry to hear about your Ti.
Old 27 November 2017, 09:01 PM   #28
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
HK service centre had my ceramic 44 back to me within a month and it only took that long because they were waiting for the blue hands (at the time the watch was so hot off the press they didn’t have stock of the hands and their policy during an overhaul repair is to replace the hands). Even my ROO RG Tourbillon which has also broken will be fixed within 6-7 weeks and that has to go back to CH. Of course disappointing it broke but amazing turnaround times - they are bending over backwards to get things quickly resolved. Sorry to hear about your Ti.
Thx. I brought mine in today and was told 6-8 weeks and can fix in HK so hopefully it won’t longer. The staff say is normal for the winding to be stiff and the she kept winding the watch. Are they properly trained because I didnt get a sense that they are or know what they are doing...yikes!
Old 27 November 2017, 11:45 PM   #29
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
The amount of force is a bit subjective, in that what might seem stiff to you doesn't to me. However what I would say is that with my two 44s I can wind them by simply running me finger along the crown, if you see what I mean, so neither are stiff or have much resistance at all. If yours is genuinely stiff to rotate there's an issue, I'd say.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 02:25 AM   #30
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
The amount of force is a bit subjective, in that what might seem stiff to you doesn't to me. However what I would say is that with my two 44s I can wind them by simply running me finger along the crown, if you see what I mean, so neither are stiff or have much resistance at all. If yours is genuinely stiff to rotate there's an issue, I'd say.
I hear ya. There is definitely more and more resistance building up each time I wind the crown vs a couple months ago.