The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2020, 03:58 AM   #1
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
116610LV - First Sighting

As my username suggests my dream pickup would be a green sub.

Have seen various references out and about Bluesy, Kermit, BLRO etc, but today seen my first Hulk on someone’s wrist.

I was looking at a potential wedding venue with my fiancé. We were speaking to one of the vendors, who was a professional Bagpipe player offering his services, I was drawn to it immediately! I complimented him on his choice of watch. Turns out he is part of a pretty famous group of pipers who travel the world. He had to search worldwide to get hold of one.

I must say the sunburst dial looks brilliant in person. I’m taking it as a sign I should have one for the wedding in a couple of years!
Hulkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 04:24 AM   #2
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
https://davidsw.com/?s=116610lv&post...&id=1&filter=1

it's not that hard.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 04:27 AM   #3
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
Well, on top of the premium, he'd be dealing with VAT/fees/tariffs/etc., so it's not necessarily that easy either.
Cloudchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 04:31 AM   #4
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

(I didn't notice he was on the other side of the ocean).

So, .. do you think it's hard to find a hulk at a reputable dealer over there?

Edit: https://www.chrono24.com/search/inde...ue&sortorder=1 make sure you do your research and find who is a reputable dealer in your region.

Yes you can try to avoid the premium on go the AD route, but just keep in mind that the AD is not going to allocate that to you "free-of-charge". You will have to pay for that, in time and money.
Old 20 January 2020, 05:24 AM   #5
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

I know they are readily available on the grey market but they are priced above what I’m comfortable spending on a SS watch.

I have my name down but I am under no illusions that I will likely get one from an AD anytime soon. Was more just an appreciation post.

I can dream!
Old 20 January 2020, 05:26 AM   #6
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Yeah that's the problem.

Yes when you look at the AD price tag it's lower, but the AD will make you "pay" before you can actually get the watch for the price tag. So it amounts to the same thing.

IMO skip the hassle and the AD BS, and just get your watch from a reputable gray dealer in your market. Life is too short.
Old 20 January 2020, 05:47 AM   #7
Jimihendrix
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Yeah that's the problem.

Yes when you look at the AD price tag it's lower, but the AD will make you "pay" before you can actually get the watch for the price tag. So it amounts to the same thing.

IMO skip the hassle and the AD BS, and just get your watch from a reputable gray dealer in your market. Life is too short.
definitely, you may end up with buying 10K jewellery or any PM watch
Jimihendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 05:49 AM   #8
Pops1973
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
Quote:
Yeah that's the problem.

That’s right life’s too short to overspend on a ss watch. So many better things to spend money in and wait for this madness to end and pick up at retail.
Pops1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 05:53 AM   #9
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:

Not that hard but you’d have to be a loony or minted beyond belief to pay that for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 06:10 AM   #10
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Yeah so paying $9,350+tax for a watch is normal but paying $14,675 for a watch means you are "minted beyond belief". This logic makes perfect sense.
Old 20 January 2020, 06:54 AM   #11
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

I personally would not enjoy the watch as much if I felt I had paid way over the odds for it, but each to their own.

The watch is £7,450 inclusive of tax here in the UK. It goes for around £13-14k grey. That is far too much of a premium for me to justify. That’s above TT money.

That’s just the unfortunate reality of liking a hyped reference I suppose.
Old 20 January 2020, 07:03 AM   #12
BHAV301286
"TRF" Member

Rolex cheaper in NY than UK?

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but I would certainly welcome any friendly advice :)

I like in the UK and went to an AD to see the situation on a Rolex Hulk. I was told that I would need to be a regular purchaser from the AD to be considered for allocation (whenever that may be). Regardless, I put my name down in hope that one day, something may come up!!

Fast forward to April, I will be in New York for 10 days and on the hunt for a Rolex. A green sub, Red/Blue GMT or a steel Daytona are on the hit list. From past experience, has anyone been out to New York and is there a larger selection out there as all UK stores seem to stock a hell of a lot of DateJust models. Also, financially, is there a benefit in purchasing in NY over UK? I do apologise if this is the wrong place to ask so if it is, please navigate me to the right place :)

Thank you in advance. Bhav.
BHAV301286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 07:45 AM   #13
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
(I didn't notice he was on the other side of the ocean).

So, .. do you think it's hard to find a hulk at a reputable dealer over there?
Yes it is. Over the last three years this watch is now difficult for many unless you are on good terms with the AD.
Quote:
Yeah so paying $9,350+tax for a watch is normal but paying $14,675 for a watch means you are "minted beyond belief". This logic makes perfect sense.
Yes, makes perfect sense too. Why the hell would I pay more than retail and why "should" the op.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 07:51 AM   #14
Adesouki@aol.com
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkhunter View Post
I personally would not enjoy the watch as much if I felt I had paid way over the odds for it, but each to their own.

The watch is £7,450 inclusive of tax here in the UK. It goes for around £13-14k grey. That is far too much of a premium for me to justify. That’s above TT money.

That’s just the unfortunate reality of liking a hyped reference I suppose.

I agree with this guy.
Adesouki@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 08:05 AM   #15
biscotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAV301286 View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but I would certainly welcome any friendly advice :)

I like in the UK and went to an AD to see the situation on a Rolex Hulk. I was told that I would need to be a regular purchaser from the AD to be considered for allocation (whenever that may be). Regardless, I put my name down in hope that one day, something may come up!!

Fast forward to April, I will be in New York for 10 days and on the hunt for a Rolex. A green sub, Red/Blue GMT or a steel Daytona are on the hit list. From past experience, has anyone been out to New York and is there a larger selection out there as all UK stores seem to stock a hell of a lot of DateJust models. Also, financially, is there a benefit in purchasing in NY over UK? I do apologise if this is the wrong place to ask so if it is, please navigate me to the right place :)

Sorry you to disappoint you, Bhav. North America is no different than your part of the world. Demand far exceeds supply. Enjoy your trip though.
biscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 08:16 AM   #16
BHAV301286
"TRF" Member

Thank you pal, what are your thoughts on a date just 41? I want an heir loom for my son to have and want to buy right as I am new to the Rolex world!
BHAV301286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 03:16 PM   #17
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Personally, I wouldn't buy off chrono24 sight unseen and authenticity verified/as well as verified it isn't stolen.

Been through the ringer with this regarding my own search for a hulk. I finally verified one and am going to my watchmaker (who buys/sells Rolex, AP, Patek, etc) with the seller to have the watch inspected tomorrow.

Personally, this is the first and LAST used Rolex I ever buy.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 04:38 PM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
VAT and taxes kill it for a UK member
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 04:42 PM   #19
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAV301286 View Post

Random post in the middle of someone else’s thread

As for the watches you’re after, unless you’re prepared to go grey or spend a load of money on other stuff, forget it
Old 20 January 2020, 04:43 PM   #20
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkhunter View Post
As my username suggests my dream pickup would be a green sub.

Have seen various references out and about Bluesy, Kermit, BLRO etc, but today seen my first Hulk on someone’s wrist.

I was looking at a potential wedding venue with my fiancé. We were speaking to one of the vendors, who was a professional Bagpipe player offering his services, I was drawn to it immediately! I complimented him on his choice of watch. Turns out he is part of a pretty famous group of pipers who travel the world. He had to search worldwide to get hold of one.

I must say the sunburst dial looks brilliant in person. I’m taking it as a sign I should have one for the wedding in a couple of years!
I know your market well, and without close AD relationships/VIP status or being a significant spender, it’s not going to happen.

Maybe consider a Datejust (although many of them are now waiting list pieces where you are). The other option is maybe to look at Omega?
Old 20 January 2020, 05:51 PM   #21
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I know your market well, and without close AD relationships/VIP status or being a significant spender, it’s not going to happen.

Maybe consider a Datejust (although many of them are now waiting list pieces where you are). The other option is maybe to look at Omega?
Yeah, I know it’s unlikely. I looked at datejusts and liked them but I prefer the professional pieces as they suit my style more and are more durable. Would love a date just as a more dressy piece to sit alongside a sport model.

I have been seriously considering a seamaster 300 and have found a UK company on Chrono24 selling brand new for a good price.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/sea...id12320078.htm