The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 February 2022, 12:12 PM   #1
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Trading all my Rolexes for a Patek Grand Complications

Hi all,

I'm quite over with the Rolex scene where every grey market is flooded with Rolex with astronomical prices.

That said, i have accumulated 3 very sentimental Rolexes over the years - Rolex Datejust 36, my first Rolex GTM 116710, Rolex Hulk which to my disbelieve managed to get from AD 2020 before the price skyrocketed.

I love them (loved?) over the years, enjoyed wearing them as my beaters and have sentimental value over them - my Rolex GTM I bought for USD 5000 when back in the days I had no money to buy them brand new.

I also bought these Rolexes because precious metal, Pateks were just too expensive.. Now the tides have changed and I'm thinking of trading all of them and additional cash for a Patek Grand Complications 5327R..

My worry is that this will mean i have no Rolexes in my collection and I would miss having a sturdy reliable watch at disposal..the sentimental of it...and the Patek is not exactly an everyday watch.

The idea of downsizing to 3-4 very nice watches also appeal to me.

I have a Lange 1 in Platinum, an Royal Oak 15450 and the Patek would be my third..... I still think I need a Rolex in my collection!

Advise please!
vtac82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 12:20 PM   #2
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

In all fairness, Most grey dealers are loaded with any Patek you want for an astronomical price.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 12:25 PM   #3
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
In all fairness, Most grey dealers are loaded with any Patek you want for an astronomical price.
i mean physical store...you go grey market in Tokyo, it's like Uniqlo there..

At least, Pateks are lesser and not on racks and racks..
Old 22 February 2022, 12:28 PM   #4
Jonnyindy
"TRF" Member

I get where you’re coming from.

In weak moments, I think about trading my 5711 for a 5270P. The want is strong, but I can’t see a day when I’d spend 200k+ on a grand comp. So having paid retail for the nautilus gives me an opportunity for a big step up….But then I wouldn’t have a nautilus.

If you’re willing to give a few up and won’t miss them, then go for it. In my situation, I know I’d miss the 5711
Jonnyindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 12:37 PM   #5
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Get a Rolex Air King for a daily watch.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 12:40 PM   #6
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyindy View Post
I get where you’re coming from.

In weak moments, I think about trading my 5711 for a 5270P. The want is strong, but I can’t see a day when I’d spend 200k+ on a grand comp. So having paid retail for the nautilus gives me an opportunity for a big step up….But then I wouldn’t have a nautilus.

If you’re willing to give a few up and won’t miss them, then go for it. In my situation, I know I’d miss the 5711
that's a hard one....

One thinking that I have is also on liquidity, say if one day I needed to sell the watches, the Rolexes are easier to move than say, a Grand Complication..
Old 22 February 2022, 12:41 PM   #7
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
Get a Rolex Air King for a daily watch.
that does not sing to me at al...
Old 22 February 2022, 12:59 PM   #8
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Pick up a nice white dial Rolex 114300 as your beater watch to feed your Rolex itch and then trade up the rest for the GC
Old 22 February 2022, 01:27 PM   #9
GMT_lover
"TRF" Member

My 2 cents - I got an unexpected call in November from my AD in November for a second Patek of 2021. I sold 2 Rolex, a Cartier Santos, and an Omega No Time to Die to help partially fund it. No regrets. I recommend "levelling up". Quality over quantity.
GMT_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 01:28 PM   #10
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
If you have those Lange & AP pieces you’d definitely don’t want an airking for even your beater watch lol. Then again what would I know, my beater watch is my OF YG Daytona- I take it into the gym, do callisthenics and all sorts with that watch

Then again if you do the trade you’ll have 2 dress watches which are much more subtle than a Rolex but worth a lot more. For me I would keep the 1 free watch and the other one can be flashier
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 01:29 PM   #11
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

A WG or platinum DD would be a good daily watch.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 01:44 PM   #12
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The 5327R is a very lovely grand comp. I would do it.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 02:02 PM   #13
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I definitely feel you on having a Rolex just for a sturdy beater, although rarely does it get used!

I am inclined to believe in 5 years a no date sub should not be ridiculously hard to get if you just need to scratch the itch.

And if covid doesn't get you, maybe WWWIII will, and if WWWIII doesn't, then inflation will so might as well enjoy life now!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 02:17 PM   #14
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

If that's what you want, I'd take advantage of this market IMO.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 02:29 PM   #15
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
If you have those Lange & AP pieces you’d definitely don’t want an airking for even your beater watch lol. Then again what would I know, my beater watch is my OF YG Daytona- I take it into the gym, do callisthenics and all sorts with that watch

Then again if you do the trade you’ll have 2 dress watches which are much more subtle than a Rolex but worth a lot more. For me I would keep the 1 free watch and the other one can be flashier
Great advise, thank you. LOL I definitely cannot do a Air King..
How would you define flashier? Rolex Hulk or PP GC.
Old 22 February 2022, 02:31 PM   #16
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
The 5327R is a very lovely grand comp. I would do it.
Oh yesssss .. It really sings to me
Old 22 February 2022, 02:33 PM   #17
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I definitely feel you on having a Rolex just for a sturdy beater, although rarely does it get used!

I am inclined to believe in 5 years a no date sub should not be ridiculously hard to get if you just need to scratch the itch.

And if covid doesn't get you, maybe WWWIII will, and if WWWIII doesn't, then inflation will so might as well enjoy life now!
Oh yes.... I have not worn my Datejust, GMT for 2 years...

and 2 days ago, i went ski-ing and I thought this is the moment I'm waiting for, a SS Rolex for the occassion!.

Old 22 February 2022, 02:36 PM   #18
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
A WG or platinum DD would be a good daily watch.
for sure... but hard to get..
Old 22 February 2022, 02:37 PM   #19
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Also - I think I'm at the juncture in my watch collecting journey to explore into complications territory..
Old 22 February 2022, 03:18 PM   #20
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
I would like a 5726, and have considered trading my Rolexes + cash for a white 5726; any Patek makes for a great exit watch.

But, I'd keep my 116610 as a beater. It was my first, and i'll never sell it. I'm not sure i could part with my other watches either, but FOR SURE you need a rolex in the collection as a beater. I definitely wouldn't subject my 5726 to a round a golf; my 116610 has seen hundreds. Still runs at +- 2.
Old 22 February 2022, 03:24 PM   #21
Jlamb
"TRF" Member

Personally I would go for it. Sure, the Rolexes are good watches, but 5327R is something special. And it seems to fit in well with your Lange and RO.

Just add an older 14270 Explorer as your daily, they should be pretty decent and easy to get in Japan.
Jlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 03:52 PM   #22
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
I would like a 5726, and have considered trading my Rolexes + cash for a white 5726; any Patek makes for a great exit watch.

But, I'd keep my 116610 as a beater. It was my first, and i'll never sell it. I'm not sure i could part with my other watches either, but FOR SURE you need a rolex in the collection as a beater. I definitely wouldn't subject my 5726 to a round a golf; my 116610 has seen hundreds. Still runs at +- 2.
Keeping 1 makes very good sense.. Have you decided yet on 5726?
Old 22 February 2022, 03:54 PM   #23
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlamb View Post
Personally I would go for it. Sure, the Rolexes are good watches, but 5327R is something special. And it seems to fit in well with your Lange and RO.

Just add an older 14270 Explorer as your daily, they should be pretty decent and easy to get in Japan.
Agree... I might keep one.. May be the Hulk goes, I seem to like it because it's special and a hype watch.. and I would need it to fund the 5327R.

Also - Mon to Friday, if I do go to the office - I would not wear any of the watches. I will wear my innocent Glashutte Original Senator (oh yes, I have one of this not mentioned but seemed like a baby in the collection.

So, my watch is mainly for Weekends, Holidays, Evenings. There's only 2 days per weekend so I want to wear watches that brings me the most joy.l
Old 22 February 2022, 04:00 PM   #24
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT_lover View Post
My 2 cents - I got an unexpected call in November from my AD in November for a second Patek of 2021. I sold 2 Rolex, a Cartier Santos, and an Omega No Time to Die to help partially fund it. No regrets. I recommend "levelling up". Quality over quantity.
thank you. I like this idea very much.
Old 22 February 2022, 05:11 PM   #25
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
For practicality why not consider an annual calendar instead of the 5327. It’s a grand complication in my opinion and it allows you to keep the Hulk. The ease of 2/28 to 3/1 that a PC affords seems to come at such a premium unless you truly appreciate its horological significance or mechanical complexity. Besides resetting a PC can be tricky and is somewhat meaningless if you don’t wear it daily.
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 05:18 PM   #26
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuger View Post
For practicality why not consider an annual calendar instead of the 5327. It’s a grand complication in my opinion and it allows you to keep the Hulk. The ease of 2/28 to 3/1 that a PC affords seems to come at such a premium unless you truly appreciate its horological significance or mechanical complexity. Besides resetting a PC can be tricky and is somewhat meaningless if you don’t wear it daily.
That's a good point, I did consider it but have not seen anything that I like.. the likes of 5205s I don't like the thickness nor the 40mm size. I prefer something slim, classic, and smaller in size. The 5327 - has many appeals to me, I wanted a Rose Gold watch, the breguet numerals - sooo classy, the hands, the layout so proportionate..

I contemplated about the trickiness also but there's something truly special and romantic about Grand Complications.
Old 22 February 2022, 05:28 PM   #27
ts3
"TRF" Member

Trading all my Rolexes for a Patek Grand Complications

I like the idea but I would certainly not go for 5327R.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 05:41 PM   #28
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I like the idea but I would certainly not go for 5327R.
reason..?
Old 22 February 2022, 05:50 PM   #29
ts3
"TRF" Member

IMO the 5327 dial is too busy and a downgrade in terms of looks vs 5140 which was already a step back from the 3940. They kept increasing the case size while keeping the 240 movement and as a result they were forced to fill the empty space created around the subdials. So they added the Breguets. Doesn't look good or classy in my eyes, just busy. I like Breguets if they have room to shine, say on 5196P or 5078G/5178G but here they don't help.

On the R specifically I also don't like the ivory dial color and how the bold black subdial markings work with the rest of the watch. The G works better in my eyes as the Breguets and subdial markings have similar rather than contrasting colors. I also prefer silver dials such as on the later 5196R vs ivory or opaline.

Long story short, I'd pick any 3940 and many 5140 variants over 5327R when it comes to 240 powered PCs with three subdials.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 06:20 PM   #30
Papanas
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sunset Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtac82 View Post
Hi all,

I'm quite over with the Rolex scene where every grey market is flooded with Rolex with astronomical prices.

That said, i have accumulated 3 very sentimental Rolexes over the years - Rolex Datejust 36, my first Rolex GTM 116710, Rolex Hulk which to my disbelieve managed to get from AD 2020 before the price skyrocketed.

I love them (loved?) over the years, enjoyed wearing them as my beaters and have sentimental value over them - my Rolex GTM I bought for USD 5000 when back in the days I had no money to buy them brand new.

I also bought these Rolexes because precious metal, Pateks were just too expensive.. Now the tides have changed and I'm thinking of trading all of them and additional cash for a Patek Grand Complications 5327R..

My worry is that this will mean i have no Rolexes in my collection and I would miss having a sturdy reliable watch at disposal..the sentimental of it...and the Patek is not exactly an everyday watch.

The idea of downsizing to 3-4 very nice watches also appeal to me.

I have a Lange 1 in Platinum, an Royal Oak 15450 and the Patek would be my third..... I still think I need a Rolex in my collection!

Advise please!
No!!!! Just No!!!!
Papanas is offline   Reply With Quote