The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 June 2018, 10:41 AM   #361
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Senegal played a great game and I believe deserved the win !
Colombia loss was definitely a surprise too ...
Great World Cup so far , lots of upsets and twists !!!
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 10:43 AM   #362
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddy1 View Post
Great second half in this Russia game.
Everyone saying how rubbish the Russian team was before the WC and now looking like the first to get through a group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Yes - very impressive. Easy group, but still, congrats to them! They'll be more confident and should put on a good show moving forward
I actually was hoping for a Pharoah King Tut style win !!!
Whatever that means...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:17 PM   #363
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
A lot of apparent "easy games" tomorrow. Any hunches on surprises?
Old 20 June 2018, 12:20 PM   #364
Lol-x
Facilitator

I find it difficult to watch this 'football' for more than 10 minutes

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 11:30 PM   #365
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I could say the same about the other "football". To each his own mate
Old 20 June 2018, 11:36 PM   #366
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Ronaldo scores again, now has 85 int. goals, more than Puskas!
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 11:45 PM   #367
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Quote:
I could say the same about the other "football". To each his own mate
What has the world come to when the guy in America is defending soccer against the Aussie.
Old 20 June 2018, 11:47 PM   #368
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Ronaldo scores again, now has 85 int. goals, more than Puskas!
A great feat but man they are struggling to put Morocco away today.
Old 20 June 2018, 11:55 PM   #369
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I actually kind of feel bad for Morocco. The own goal against Iran, where they definitively outplayed them. Today they've looked 100% decent against a much stronger Portugal side. So now they're 0-2, zero points, but they've looked much better than what the paper states. Quite a few teams who looked inferior to them will be going through to round of 16 and they won't.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 11:56 PM   #370
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I actually kind of feel bad for Morocco. The own goal against Iran, where they definitively outplayed them. Today they've looked 100% decent against a much stronger Portugal side. So now they're 0-2, zero points, but they've looked much better than what the paper states. Quite a few teams who looked inferior to them will be going through to round of 16 and they won't.
Right. Portugal played like garbage today - and rode their luck a bit. Still, they are through.
Old 21 June 2018, 12:03 AM   #371
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What has the world come to when the guy in America is defending soccer against the Aussie.
I have a weird suspicion that the USA might actually win the mens World Cup before England do. Possibly because I'm not sure England ever will win it again.

I might be way off, especially as an outsider but the only thing stopping the USA from being world beaters is that all the best athletes play American Football, Basketball and Baseball, as well as a bunch of other individual sports that they excel at.

But with the whole Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy thing in Gridiron, maybe American parents are going to gravitate towards encouraging their sons to play a potentially less physically risky sport (the risks associated with heading the ball notwithstanding)? Plus there must be a large and growing number of ethnic minorities, especially Latinos and Africans, who have a cultural affinity for Soccer who could be a significant untapped source of talent.

Is that a completely ignorant opinion?
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 12:09 AM   #372
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I have a weird suspicion that the USA might actually win the mens World Cup before England do. Possibly because I'm not sure England ever will win it again.

I might be way off, especially as an outsider but the only thing stopping the USA from being world beaters is that all the best athletes play American Football, Basketball and Baseball, as well as a bunch of other individual sports that they excel at.

But with the whole Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy thing in Gridiron, maybe American parents are going to gravitate towards encouraging their sons to play a potentially less physically risky sport (the risks associated with heading the ball notwithstanding)? Plus there must be a large and growing number of ethnic minorities, especially Latinos and Africans, who have a cultural affinity for Soccer who could be a significant untapped source of talent.

I don't think it's ignorant. The top 13-17 year old junior players are now well aware that we're guaranteed a berth in 2026
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 12:11 AM   #373
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You're looking at this entirely too logically. Fact still remains, it's nowhere near as 'cool' to play soccer in high school, as it is to play under the Friday night lights, especially in the south (where a vast majority of US top tier athletes originate from). No offense, but if you're not from there, you probably won't really get it. The high school sports culture does not even exist in Europe like it does there.

Not to mention, you're completely dismissing the salary potential. You want a US football/basketball/baseball contract or a US soccer contract?
Old 21 June 2018, 12:14 AM   #374
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't think it's completely ignorant. You make some (possibly) valid points. Countries that win, however, in my experience have football running through their veins. That is all children do, talk about etc. when they are young (or at least used to when I was that young). I'm sure there are a lot of factors that would go into this - talent being another, that he US just doesn't have (right now). The US also lacks a structured system to develop soccer players (you play club if you're good, but that's expensive and not all can afford it). Being physical etc. certainly helps, but this is not track & field. Football is much more than that.

My $.02
Old 21 June 2018, 12:14 AM   #375
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're looking at this entirely too logically. Fact still remains, it's nowhere near as 'cool' to play soccer in high school, as it is to play under the Friday night lights, especially in the south (where a vast majority of US top tier athletes originate from). No offense, but if you're not from there, you probably won't really get it. The high school sports culture does not even exist in Europe like it does there.

Not to mention, you're completely dismissing the salary potential. You want a US football/basketball/baseball contract or a US soccer contract?
Good points as well
Old 21 June 2018, 12:15 AM   #376
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think it's completely ignorant. You make some (possibly) valid points. Countries that win, however, in my experience have football running through their veins. That is all children do, talk about etc. when they are young (or at least used to when I was that young). I'm sure there are a lot of factors that would go into this - talent being another, that he US just doesn't have (right now). The US also lacks a structured system to develop soccer players (you play club if you're good, but that's expensive and not all can afford it). Being physical etc. certainly helps, but this is not track & field. Football is much more than that.

My $.02
Kids are recruited when they're like 6 in Europe, and practically put through top tier training. They get the best coaching possible from the get go. In the states, you might get some interest when you're 15, and even then, you're probably more interested in getting a full ride to play in college.
Old 21 June 2018, 12:18 AM   #377
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Kids are recruited when they're like 6 in Europe, and practically put through top tier training. They get the best coaching possible from the get go. In the states, you might get some interest when you're 15, and even then, you're probably more interested in getting a full ride to play in college.
That's the thing. There is no structured system to identify, develop and train young talents in soccer in the US until you're like 15-16 and will be heading to college. The way the MLS is structured (and all major sports leagues), with no relegation etc. makes it impossible to have inferior leagues to play in and develop on your way up (as young talents do).
Old 21 June 2018, 12:19 AM   #378
dmash
"TRF" Member

and another thing, and this is from my experience playing baseball/football in Georgia and Florida in middle school/high school, not just an assumption. The real, raw talent, was usually from a poorer setting. Playing sports is their way out. Other guys hit the books, they hit the weights. Their parents don't care about a head injury lol....and neither do they. They don't have a fall back, as America's system isn't social like Germany and most of Europe. You want nice stuff and not to live in slums? Showcase your skills as an athlete. and with the majority of programs/money in football/basketball/baseball, it would take decades to convert these kids into putting energy into soccer at a super young age. You have to essentially start practicing at 4,5,6.......
Old 21 June 2018, 12:32 AM   #379
Star Ferry
Banned

We do have hardcore tennis academies, similar to what Agassi went through. Hopefully we develop those for soccer

As an aside for tennis fans I really enjoyed Agassi's biography Open
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 12:39 AM   #380
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Par for their course, they always struggle but get thru or get lucky, as was mentioned earlier with the Euros last time, possibly the ugliest winners of recent times. If you take Ronaldo out you get a more accurate reflection of their ability and results would be so different. No other side is now so reliant on one player, other than maybe England.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 12:39 AM   #381
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No offense taken. It's why I asked the question. I find these kinds of cultural differences interesting, especially as they pertain to sport. I hadn't thought about the salary thing but that's an obvious major factor. Though any change I might envisage would take decades regardless (England aren't winning the thing any time soon).

Quote:

My $.02
The point about football running through the veins is definitely a valid one. Which is why if soccer were ever to grow any bigger in the States, it would be second and third generation immigrant led.

The lack of talent though must though at least partly due to the fact that football attracts lower tier athletes surely? If you're a supremely athletic kid you play American Football, no? If not, maybe basketball. Soccer is the bin that the kids who weren't big enough to play Gridiron or tall enough to play Basketball fall into?
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 12:46 AM   #382
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Par for their course, they always struggle but get thru or get lucky, as was mentioned earlier with the Euros last time, possibly the ugliest winners of recent times. If you take Ronaldo out you get a more accurate reflection of their ability and results would be so different. No other side is now so reliant on one player, other than maybe England.
Agreed. The commentators were talking about Bruno Fernandes' release clause being close to 90M pounds. He looked like a 3rd division player today
Old 21 June 2018, 12:47 AM   #383
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No offense taken. It's why I asked the question. I find these kinds of cultural differences interesting, especially as they pertain to sport. I hadn't thought about the salary thing but that's an obvious major factor. Though any change I might envisage would take decades regardless (England aren't winning the thing any time soon).

The point about football running through the veins is definitely a valid one. Which is why if soccer were ever to grow any bigger in the States, it would be second and third generation immigrant led.

The lack of talent though must though at least partly due to the fact that football attracts lower tier athletes surely? If you're a supremely athletic kid you play American Football, no? If not, maybe basketball. Soccer is the bin that the kids who weren't big enough to play Gridiron or tall enough to play Basketball fall into?
At the same time, "football" has developed tremendously over the past 10 yeas in the US, from popularity to better quality on the field. So there is progress.
Old 21 June 2018, 12:52 AM   #384
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At the same time, "football" has developed tremendously over the past 10 yeas in the US, from popularity to better quality on the field. So there is progress.
There was a VERY noticeable difference starting in 2010, even moreseo in 2014. These were worlds different compared to the level of support I saw in 2006. Kind of sad not to see the states in 2018, I have a feeling this has put a dent in the surge in soccer popularity.
Old 21 June 2018, 01:49 AM   #385
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Uruguay not impressing anyone but seem to be on their way to a win here. Suarez opportunistic as always haha
Old 21 June 2018, 02:31 AM   #386
longimanus88
"TRF" Member

Go Belgium!!
We got a sick team with some fantastic players playing in the best championships: Courtois, De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku, Mertens, Batshuayi, Dembélé, Kompany, Vertonghen,...
Negative points: Nainngolan hasn't been selected (which is beyond understanding, the guy scored 2 goals in the Champions League semi-final and is a lion on the field) and our defense with Kompany and Vermaelen still recovering...
Wait and see, we might lose in quarter final as we might make it till the end...
longimanus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 02:36 AM   #387
longimanus88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But De Bruyne and Hazard are better than anything England have elsewhere, De Bruyne was the best player I've seen all season, absolute magician.
This When he's on fire, KDB is a true magician. The problem is that no national coach has been able to make the most of their talent, KDB is not as good with the national team as he's with City...Martinez is a shame...
longimanus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 03:03 AM   #388
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Uruguay not impressing anyone but seem to be on their way to a win here. Suarez opportunistic as always haha
Suarez straight up BLOWS this tourney. That goal today was pure luck on his part, who in the world couldn't put that in?

and honestly, Uruguay is one of those teams who is getting a pass. They honestly look pathetic. They sneaked in past Egypt with 1' to go and got lucky. The goal by Suarez today was a pure gift. I think Russia are going to beat them 2-0.

Cavani is a machine though, do you see how many opportunities he had? None of his teammates are playing on his level.
Old 21 June 2018, 03:05 AM   #389
dmash
"TRF" Member

Also, as a side note.....Ronaldo has come to win this World Cup. He is playing ridiculous. Portugal is going to be hard to beat.
Old 21 June 2018, 03:28 AM   #390
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I grew up upstate New York and most most of my friends started playing soccer around 6 -7. I know I did. Problem is you’re right the system is nowhere near as competitive particularly in terms of coaching.

Almost like hockey here. The best of the best migrate to Canada to play junior hockey.

Quote:

Yes you could see it on their faces after the match. And boy did they have late opportunities at goal. A shame really but such is football.

I feel strongest about Belgium this year but easy to say after a solid opening when many others looked lethargic.

By default I will root for Mexico because they are our neighbors but after that I’ll be damned if KDB doesn’t deserve a deep run.