The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 June 2018, 05:15 AM   #1
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36!
Come with me on a small journey!

Hello again TRF! As many will know, I am not a volume ... well, nor a real quality poster I'm here for the watches and the knowledge. When I do post, it is to share my love of the outdoors, and to help folks who are in the automotive process. I also share my day posts when I get the day off, and anything related to Toyotas. This is one of those....

Right now I'm on vacation. This is the first time I've had two consecutive days off in almost two years, so I'm taking full advantage of it.

To start off, this is my baby. An exceptionally low mileage Toyota Tacoma 4WD 5-Speed that is getting ready to turn 20. It started out as a weekend offroader, but since I live 5 miles from work, it has turned into my daily driver. I love it. Some may remember a half day getaway from this thread:

As with any automotive enthusiast, I am keeping it stock .... by keeping it stock, I mean that I PROBABLY won't yank the motor out .... soon.

Before I fully knew what the hell I was doing suspension wise, a 4.5" lift was added. This lift on my truck is known as a drop bracket. Essentially with a drop bracket, the front-rear suspension crossmember of the frame is cut out, and new crossmembers are added. The purpose of the new crossmembers are to lower the front differential so your front axles (CV's) are more level with the front hubs so there's less wear.

Most ride great on the street, however they perform terribly offroad, and introduce multiple potential points of failure into a damn near perfect setup. My goal during my vacation is to remove (and go back to a stock style lift) the drop bracket, and do some touring.

Here's my ute before:

You'll notice that even though I had much larger tires, the distance from the ground to my front cross member is minimal. When it comes to passing rough trails or going over obstacles, I would get hung up on everything and put an immense amount of stress on the frame, hence the reason to go back.

There is one shop that I trust with my vehicle, and that would be Tandem Offroad. @TandemOffroad on Instagram and you can find their website here:

http://www.tandemauto.com/off-road.html

They are a specialty TOYOTA and LEXUS offroad shop ONLY. They know their craft exceptionally well, and they take an immense amount of pride in their work. If you ask anyone with a Land Cruiser, 4Runner, Tacoma, or Tundra for a recommended shop, Tandem's name is always the first to make an appearance, and it is the name said over and over. It doesn't matter if you have a Tacoma like I do, an overseas Hilux ute or surf, petrol or diesel, FJ40, 55, 60, 80, 100, 105, or even 200 Series Land Cruisers, these gentlemen will take care of you, and do what you need.

So, to start my day: I loaded up my truck with everything that I would need for a multiday touring trip. Camp chairs, tents, spare fuel, recovery gear (getcha snatch out! ) and etc. All batteries were charged and ready to go.

I began my journey east of DFW Texas where I reside, and filled my ute up to the top. Thank you Kroger fuel rewards points and I could take $0.40 off per gallon!

Next, I drove an hour and a half through the cement maze of DFW, to arrive at my hotel, The Hilton in Ft. Worth, Tx. It was a nice place, don't get me wrong, but damn. It is truly nothing to write home about.

I unloaded my two backpacks carrying my clothing and dopp kit, as well as a few devices to ensure my personal safety in the city and while out exploring.

Now .... where to park? Street parking? HELL NO! 10 minutes later I found a garage with a $20 overnight fee. Not too bad as it was staffed 24hrs per day. A younger attendant drove up and offered to take and park my vehicle. DO NOT LIKE. I have a fair bit of specialty equipment in my transmission, and with the drivelines of the garage, it would NOT take long for something to go wrong. I don't let anyone drive the truck, not even the folks at my own service department!!

After multiple requests to park my own vehicle, I gave up, as it was against their policy. Fine. I relent. "Sir, can you drive a stick shift?" .... "No. Can you teach my right quick so I can park your vehicle?"

After a quick understanding, I was able to park my own vehicle, and keep my keys with me. Back to the hotel.

I cozied down in my room, took a shower, then went for a quick meal in the executive lounge. Not terrible, but nothing exciting.

Soon I went to the Sundance Square, and toured the local watering holes. Whisky was poured, women were met and no pics were taken. Probably for the best

Sadly, as I made my way back to the hotel, I was accosted by several vagrants. First time I've encountered any of these folks. Most soon realized it would be in their best interests to keep a reasonable distance away from me.

Back to the hotel, a few more refreshments, and 50* room to keep me cozy. I was going to soak up all of the A/C that I could!

The next morning, it was off to Tandem Offroad to have my ute taken care of. I'll skip the story involving the parking security and the retrieval of my vehicle unless y'all would actually like to know.

I was looking for the correct shop, and soon I saw a friend's Tacoma in the parking lot. I knew I was in the right spot. Here's some of the vehicles at Tandem at the moment:

This is @Shadowrunner_Tacoma on Instagram:

Both technician's vehicles at Tandem Offroad, Pablo (Tacoma) and Brandon (FJ Cruiser):

Both trucks are running Tandem Offroad's Custom Model 612 Wheels, and they are sweet. The wheels are custom made by Tandem, for Toyotas and Lexus trucks. They are 17" wheels, and have the perfect offset and backspacing.

"The outer lip has been given additional thickness for to resist gouges that may be encountered during low PSI conditions. The 12 ridges on the outside have been placed there in order to protect the valve stem from damage. The six spoke design offers excellent strength."

https://tandem-offroad.myshopify.com/products/model-612

Oh wait, this is TRF

A supercharged Lexus LX450 (also known as the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser):

A real deal Toyota Hilux Surf RHD Turbo Diesel:

Just another mid-travel Taco:

As soon as I arrived, the pros at Tandem Offroad started going to work on my Tacoma. Before I knew it, or even though to grab pictures, my ute was in the air, wheels off, rotors on a table, and LCA's were nowhere to be found!!

The front rear cross member from the factory had been cut to allow the drop of the differential. You can clearly see it here. At this point also, they had removed the rear aftermarket crossmember that is a part of the drop bracket lift.

Here Pablo, Brandon, and Alex are removing my front differentials and axles, as well as the front crossmember:

Yes, there are multiple stands in place to ensure the safety of the vehicle, parts, and employees, I just didn't have the best angle.

My front differential and axles, along with the front crossmembers of the drop bracket lift.

Pablo grinding flush the OE mating surface to prepare fitment of a new crossmember.

You can see here that with the remove of the diff drop and the aftermarket crossmembers, about 8" of ground clearance should be restored to the taco.

Back to the hotel, as well as the bars, and again, no pics to be had everything's getting recharged and up and filled to the top!

Day two of work being done-

The new front rear crossmember has been welded in place, and everything is shaping back up! You can't even tell that the crossmember was cut out in the first place!! These guys do awesome work!!

More updates shall come! Thanks folks!
KarlTheToyotaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:16 AM   #2
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
The pics do not show for me.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:30 AM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Good stuff!! Your truck is awesome I also really like that shadow runner beast

The Lexus reminds me of Tyler Hoovie's (Hoovies garage on YouTube) Lexus 'land cruiser', he took that thing for a dive last week, I bet his interior now smells like a wet dog
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:37 AM   #4
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:41 AM   #5
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Great pictures and story! That truck is sweet! And that Toyota Hilux reminds me of my european days
Old 13 June 2018, 05:42 AM   #6
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
great post.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:46 AM   #7
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
Awesome post and pics too. I’m a Toyota guy myself. I have a 96 Tacoma 4x4 V6 with 190k on it. Had it since new. I also have a 2010 4x4 V6 with 35k on it. Love em both but I’d sell the newer one first
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 06:25 AM   #8
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
Great pics...FYI you blacked out the license plate on the first pic but left the rest visible.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 07:44 AM   #9
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Good stuff!! Your truck is awesome I also really like that shadow runner beast

The Lexus reminds me of Tyler Hoovie's (Hoovies garage on YouTube) Lexus 'land cruiser', he took that thing for a dive last week, I bet his interior now smells like a wet dog
Thanks!

Yep, that runner thing is quite the truck!

Hahahaha! I saw that as well! Hopefully he has removed his carpet .. like any sensible Toyota owner
Old 13 June 2018, 07:45 AM   #10
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Great pictures and story! That truck is sweet! And that Toyota Hilux reminds me of my european days
Thank you!

That Hilux had me a bit jelly.
Old 13 June 2018, 07:46 AM   #11
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
great post.
Thank you Seth!
Old 13 June 2018, 07:46 AM   #12
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
Awesome post and pics too. I’m a Toyota guy myself. I have a 96 Tacoma 4x4 V6 with 190k on it. Had it since new. I also have a 2010 4x4 V6 with 35k on it. Love em both but I’d sell the newer one first
My brotha!

If you need anything done to it, head to Tandem
Old 13 June 2018, 07:47 AM   #13
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pix View Post
Great pics...FYI you blacked out the license plate on the first pic but left the rest visible.
Yessir. Took too much effort to put the glasses on the rest of the pics
Old 13 June 2018, 08:02 AM   #14
austinp
"TRF" Member

Very cool. Thanks for taking us with you. Looking forward to more pics.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 08:28 AM   #15
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Very cool. Thanks for taking us with you. Looking forward to more pics.

Thank you! Not a problem sir!!
Old 13 June 2018, 08:30 AM   #16
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

TRD Pro anyone!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 08:38 AM   #17
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Wait, where did all my front end stuff go?

There it is!

There wasn't a lot of picture worthy work going on today, but today we moved the spindles, and spindle spacers. Also removed coil spacers and installed the new Eibach/Toytec coils and reset the Bilstein 5100's. Not only that, but we also installed new upper and lower balljoints as well!!
Old 13 June 2018, 08:45 AM   #18
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Here's my front differential and axles stabbed back in!

and now with the lower shock mounts bolted in and the lower control arms attached!

Old 13 June 2018, 11:17 AM   #19
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
TRD Pro anyone!?!?

My neighbor has that exact rig. It looks incredible.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 11:21 AM   #20
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Damn it!!! More Toyota madness!!! Been looking at the Tacoma PRO!! Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 11:30 AM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Mmmm, truck and watch pron. Wonderful story!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 01:05 PM   #22
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
Damn it!!! More Toyota madness!!! Been looking at the Tacoma PRO!! Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Stop looking and buy it! With the way those things hold their value, if you decide you don't like it, you can flip it faster than a ceramic Daytona! (I also have two Cavalry Blue Tacoma TRD Pros in stock, but I won't be in the office until Saturday )

Not a problem man! I don't add a tremendous amount to the forum, but I can share my stories every once in a while!!
Old 13 June 2018, 01:06 PM   #23
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Mmmm, truck and watch pron. Wonderful story!
Dang right Steven! And thank you!
Old 13 June 2018, 01:32 PM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Great thread Karl! Really appreciate your detailed post. Hope you’re pleased with the result

Quote:
TRD Pro anyone!?!?

Looks good with a detail

Hiked devils hole today and those cooled seats were a dream when I made it back
Old 13 June 2018, 01:58 PM   #25
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Great thread Karl! Really appreciate your detailed post. Hope you’re pleased with the result
Thank you GB-man!

Yessir. I used to be fairly proficient in writing, however it is a skill that isn't​ used often in my day to day life. I enjoy it when I'm able to, but sadly I believe my grammatical efficiencies and immense vocabulary have suffered over time.

Full effort is still in effect though.

I find it while reading other articles, coming from an engineering mindset, that providing enough info to teach a little bit keeps everyone interested. Providing too much detail kills curiosity, and too little angers the enthusiasts.

Had this been on one of my Toyota forums, i'd fill up an entire page before I had gotten to the first picture LOL!
Old 13 June 2018, 02:11 PM   #26
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Looking good! Can't wait to see the finished product.

That Hilux, though! Wow!
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 02:55 PM   #27
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Taco Tuesday.

just don't do this.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/20013/t...ust-so-painful
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 04:11 PM   #28
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
TRD Pro anyone!?!?

Yes please!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 12:55 AM   #29
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
Looking good! Can't wait to see the finished product.

That Hilux, though! Wow!
Neither can I!!

Same! More pics coming in a minute!!
Old 14 June 2018, 12:57 AM   #30
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Yes sir!

Not a chance! I remember when that first happened. Off-road recovery is not as simple as hooking up a strap then slamming down the skinny pedal. I definitely recommend everyone who plans to really go out wheeling to take an off-road recovery course.

Done wrong, it can break stuff. Like the Tacoma in the video.