The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 June 2018, 10:41 PM   #1
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Trash on Mt. Everest

How can you rectify something like this? An abomination....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mount-eve...033148000.html
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 11:08 PM   #2
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Very sad to see, especially since many who attempt the climb respect the difficulties & personal sacrifice to pursue that goal. They definitely should be more responsible & respectful of the “footprints” they leave behind! They are cheapening the beauty & experience for others. [rant over...lol]
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:19 AM   #3
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
They need to charge all the climbers an additional fee for clean up teams.
Maybe another $4000 in addition to the $4000 deposit.
Of course if you can pay the guy weighing the trash at the end $1000 to overlook the whole team and refund everyone’s money, that’s another problem.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:44 AM   #4
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Unfortunately I think the only way to clean this up is to use clean up crews. I very much doubt you’ll get people to clean up after themselves unless the fine is extremely expensive.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 01:21 AM   #5
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Charge a healthy deposit to climb.

Check their stuff on the way up. Put a tag or sticker on every article for every group with a number for their group.

Check on the way down.

Charge for the clean up. And back charge for stuff with their number on it found later.

Let's face it some of the stuff is left after quick departures due to weather etc, but charge them anyways.

Its no different than renting a house or boat.
Blansky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 01:37 AM   #6
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Blame the Nepalese authorities and the guide services, not the climbers.

You can’t take a poo in some US parks without packing it out, but the government there permits this dumping. The guide services don’t even plan for any waste removal. The money only flows one way. It’s a planned sh1thole on an enterprise level.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 01:43 AM   #7
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Trash on Mt. Everest

That is Bull ! People are more concerned about the conquest of the mountain than the mountains themselves.

Each climber should have to pay X-amount of dollars to have this and their trash taken back down the mountain.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 01:58 AM   #8
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
That’s only one part of it. How about the bodies left up there.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 02:09 AM   #9
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
One could argue this is all rolexeses fault.

1) the wait list is making people with moolah kill time by climbing things

2) wilsdorf marketing sir Edmond hillary’s climb

3) Rolex stuck in analysis paralysis deciding whether a cleanup initiative through their foundation would be good marketing for hillary’s bday on July 20.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 02:16 AM   #10
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
That is sad indeed :(
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 02:16 AM   #11
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
I agree with everyone, current and future generations so affected at local and environmental level overall.
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 02:55 AM   #12
swils8610

I’ve read several books on climbing Everest. Trash is a major issue as are human remains left behind. The book by John Krakuer who climbed and lived through the disaster of 1996 is amazing. There are currently over 200 frozen bodies on Everest. Many claim the task of removing them is to dangerous so they are left behind. Many climbers have a hard enough time getting off the mountain themselves without removing a frozen body. The trash is wrong. What goes up should come down. I’m guessing a fair amount of the trash was from people that perished during the climb. It’s hard enough getting up and down Everest and living...trash is sadly left behind. Like others have said...increase the fees/penalties for leaving trash behind. Good luck trying to hire climbers to go up and get trash left behind. It’s been known that Rob Hall is dead on the mountain wearing his Rolex. His wife asked a climber friend to retrieve it for her to give to his daughter who was unborn when Rob died. The climber reached Rob’s body but couldn’t bring himself to taking the watch off of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 03:30 AM   #13
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
I don't feel like I want to blame climbers,but rather local sherpas and various adventure companies etc. A climber pays something between $40K to $60K a pop to climb Everest,I know expenses to climb are outrageous for companies that provide this service but honestly for those kind of money the only thing as a customer I should think about is first of all survive,and then enjoy the adventure. How to avoid trash on Everest ? Leave Everest alone..
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 03:48 AM   #14
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
That’s only one part of it. How about the bodies left up there.
I was thinking the same thing!!!! I've seen some gruesome photos.......
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 04:04 AM   #15
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
I don't feel like I want to blame climbers,but rather local sherpas and various adventure companies etc. A climber pays something between $40K to $60K a pop to climb Everest,I know expenses to climb are outrageous for companies that provide this service but honestly for those kind of money the only thing as a customer I should think about is first of all survive,and then enjoy the adventure. How to avoid trash on Everest ? Leave Everest alone..

Well, that’s exactly why the trash is getting left behind.

But if those who were actually commercializing and profiting from it had any forethought they would do something about it.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 June 2018, 04:19 AM   #16
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
The only reason to climb Everest at this point is pure ego. If you pack stuff up there, you should be required to pack it all back down. It is disgusting how much trash is left up there from these expeditions.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 01:30 PM   #17
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
The climbers pay a substantial amount to climb the mountain. The government and sherpas are the ones who don't clean up the mountain with that money. No fault of the climbers.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 01:36 PM   #18
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
The climbers pay a substantial amount to climb the mountain. The government and sherpas are the ones who don't clean up the mountain with that money. No fault of the climbers.
So in other words the substantial amount that I pay for my car and the taxes I pay entitles me to litter the highway.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 June 2018, 01:57 PM   #19
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
I saw this yesterday and it made me very, very sad. :(

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 03:55 PM   #20
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
If you are a town/region/state operating a paying tourist industry, you have to take responsibility for the state of your facilities. If you don't they will be unhygienic.
Everest is no different from any tourist park anywhere. I don't buy into this "Everest is sacred" stuff. Litter and filth is inevitable anywhere that people go - local authorities just have to take responsibility and address it.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 07:28 PM   #21
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
So in other words the substantial amount that I pay for my car and the taxes I pay entitles me to litter the highway.
When you go on vacation and stay in a hotel, do you take all your trash, food scraps, and in sundry waste away with you? That's exactly what you're asking of the climbers.

The service providers (hotels, parks, restaurants, etc.) and the government take care of all the trash and waste in every other holiday setting. So, why would we expect the holiday goers to do it on Everest?
Old 19 June 2018, 08:22 PM   #22
Kostas

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
I agree with abdullah , they don’t exactly have all the amenities.

How about all those plastics in the middle of the pacific , now that’s terrible.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 08:31 PM   #23
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
No but It allows you to drive your car on the littered highways.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:16 PM   #24
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
When you go on vacation and stay in a hotel, do you take all your trash, food scraps, and in sundry waste away with you? That's exactly what you're asking of the climbers.

The service providers (hotels, parks, restaurants, etc.) and the government take care of all the trash and waste in every other holiday setting. So, why would we expect the holiday goers to do it on Everest?
I was in the military and I have a real good understanding what a burden it would be to pack and carry one’s own trash. That’s not why I responded as I did to that particular statement. Just because someone spends a great deal of money doesn’t mean that alleviates them of all their responsibilities. So although it may not be practical for them to cart all of their trash maybe they’ll have to follow certain guidelines and very possibly maybe they should have to pay more to have someone take care of it for them.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 June 2018, 09:41 PM   #25
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
There are efforts being made, but it's going to take time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/w...ash-nepal.html

And of course, once you get the garbage down, then what?
It has to be taken somewhere else where they're equipped to recycle and dispose of that volume of garbage.
Old 19 June 2018, 10:54 PM   #26
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I was in the military and I have a real good understanding what a burden it would be to pack and carry one’s own trash. That’s not why I responded as I did to that particular statement. Just because someone spends a great deal of money doesn’t mean that alleviates them of all their responsibilities. So although it may not be practical for them to cart all of their trash maybe they’ll have to follow certain guidelines and very possibly maybe they should have to pay more to have someone take care of it for them.
If the agreement with the guide service doesn’t require them to pack out trash, why would they? They paid for a particular service, which doesn’t include trash hauling. It’s no different than any other vacation destination.

The government and service providers need to price the trash removal into the fees and vacation price, then make sure the residues are removed from the mountain.
Old 19 June 2018, 11:16 PM   #27
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If the agreement with the guide service doesn’t require them to pack out trash, why would they? They paid for a particular service, which doesn’t include trash hauling. It’s no different than any other vacation destination.

The government and service providers need to price the trash removal into the fees and vacation price, then make sure the residues are removed from the mountain.

I think that’s a good solution.

Again, my comment was in response to a statement which tries to absolve one from any personnel responsibility.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 June 2018, 01:58 AM   #28
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
They need to impose very heavy fines for anyone or teams leaving crap up there. Everest should be no different than backpacking in the woods. You bring out what you take in and leave no trace.

Disgusting.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 02:09 AM   #29
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This. They can turn this into a business. Factor a number into every expedition (a tax of sort) this goes towards removing trash and debris. You gotta pay to play. They can actually make money if well run.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 02:42 AM   #30
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
I suggest collection points at the various Camps and summit and at the end of every climbing season the trash and human waste will be slung under giant hydrogen-filled balloons and launched into the stratosphere.

Using trackers to monitor drift and remote-controlled valves to adjust altitude, the Poo Balloons will positioned into favorable upper winds that will carry them far out into the Pacific Ocean until just east of the Marianas Trench at which time igniters inside the hydrogen balloon sac will be energized resulting in a series of spectacular high-altitude explosions.

The weighted slings containing the garbage will then fall to into the water and sink to the ocean floor at depths nobody except for the most adamant and short-sighted sliver of environmentalists will care about, eventually being covered by silt, and at some point in the next few million years carried back into the mantle of the earth due to the westward subduction of the Pacific tectonic plate underneath the Marianas plate whereupon the trash-poo will be crushed by the earth's crust and incinerated, broken-down into it's basic elements by pressure/heat and re-circulated in whatever way Gaia intends.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote