The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 April 2017, 07:04 AM   #1
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Patek vs Patek (5127 vs 5227)

Hi folks,

I am at a stage in my life when I am kind of getting close to finally get a Patek (late 30's). Looking to reduce the no of watches ans stick to 2-3 pieces that I will own on a long term.

I have a Sub that is there to stay and the rest of the watches are subject to be put up for sale to fund the Patek or other watch.
I am a big fan of the Nautilus but I cannot justify paying that much for it and the Calatrava makes a bit more sense as I ll always have a sports Rolex to compliment it.

Coming back to the 2 Patek models, I did a lot of reading and took a liking to the crown guards of the 5127. I tend to think it is one of the best buys.
I also like the 5227 so I am considering it.

Size
Of course we are looking at 37mm vs 39mm. I have no problem with 37mm as I am old school and still believe 35mm vintage pieces are great.

Movement
315 vs 324
Any pros and cons here?

I look forward to hear other people's experience with these models. Pros and cons, versatility etc.

some photos are always nice to see:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5127_01_s.jpg (43.6 KB, 1097 views)
File Type: jpg PatekPhilippeReference5227_10.jpg (53.3 KB, 1076 views)
Old 17 April 2017, 07:55 AM   #2
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711
If you're looking for a dress watch with a date, then 5127 is it. It's a fairly modern take on the Calatrava and will wear well into the future, I'd think.

Everything to like about the 5127 is kicked up a notch in the 5227, but what really sets it apart, is the fantastic invisible dust cover. I like it very much, but, you pay for it. Big time. For the price of a 5227, you could almost get a 5146 and have a very interesting and practical Patek complication. However, the 5146 is not nearly as elegant as the 5227. For some, there is too much unoccupied real estate on the rather large 5227 dial. I can appreciate that, but I still prefer it to the 5127. The sculpted lugs are gorgeous, and it's obviously the case design that Thierry wants to use going forward for even high end models (ie. 5237) If the 5227 was 38 mm, it might just be perfect.

From what I understand, cal 324 beats at higher Hz, so is very slightly more accurate, but this also reduces power reserve somewhat, despite the larger rotor. But the 315 is still very accurate and should be a robust caliber with many decades of life (perhaps even more than the 324, which beats faster).

Bottom line for me is price. If you can afford the 5227, go for it. Otherwise, the 5127 is gorgeous, and classic, yet modern enough.
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 08:22 AM   #3
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Both are real winners imo. I like the size, value, and crown guards of the 5127. Even better, check out the 5107...slightly wider bezel predecessor of the 5127. I sold my white gold 5107 a while back and still regret it
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 08:26 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I like how the movement seems to be a better fit to the case with the 5127 (date window).
Old 17 April 2017, 09:56 AM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

These two watches are both very elegant Calatravas. If you get a chance to try out both watches, please do so before making your final decision. The 5227 should be easy to find at ADs, but the 5127 may be harder to locate at pre-owned watch stores.

Consider the year when the watches were manufactured. The 5127 having been discontinued 4 years ago, may need servicing if worn as a daily watch by the previous owner. However if the price difference is significant between a 5127 and the 5227 in the pre-owned watch market, the 5127 may be the better bargain.

I own the 5227G and like the modern case design and the officer's case back. However you have to like the way the watch feels when you have it on your wrist.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 10:16 AM   #6
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

I seem to be the "old fart" of the sub forum although I am in my late 30s and tend to think older is better when it comes to patek! Just on size alone, 37mm seems more appropriate for a pure dress watch. That being said I don't own a dress watch at the moment and basically only own sports watches. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 April 2017, 11:26 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I like the 5227 but you need to find one at a good price.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 05:49 PM   #8
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

I have been most fortunate to have owned two 5127R.

Many years ago when I first looked at getting a Calatrava I looked at both the 5017 and the 5127 i really couldn't tell them apart.They both had - to me, what was probably one of their strongest selling points, the seamless shoulders protecting the crown, which in itself is quite rare as it is has age screw down feature, very much like a divers watch. Without doubt and many years later, I still love this design of the case

But finally I decided on the 5127 purely because I didn't like the wider bezel on the 5107, which I thought may get caught more.

If you look closer at the dials on the photos you may see that on the first one - older model, there was not marker behind the date box, whereas in the photos of the other pieces there is.

Both my pieces ran with the 315 movement and which I never had any issues with.

The 37mm fitted perfectly on my 6 ¾ inch wrist and with its very slim case was a great watch to wear and extremely comfortable.

Later on when looking to get my 2nd 5127 I did consider the 5227, and though it had the beautiful officers case and the cover which hid the movement and was very cleverly designed. I didn't go for it, for two main reasons. 1) I did't like the colour of the dial which to me was lacked the warmness that the 5127 had and of course the seamless shoulders, which for me is probably one of the best features of the watch.

If I was ever in the market for another simple, classic 3 hander Patek Philippe, then without doubt it would be the 5127.

Which ever model you decide to go for, imo, you cannot lose.
So I went with the 5127R
Old 17 April 2017, 07:44 PM   #9
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. Great replies.

It seems like the 5127 or maybe even the 5107 are the models to hunt for.
As said by all of you 5227 is great but the price difference is significant.
5127 goes for as low as 14k while 5227 is well over 20k.

Next step is to try the watches. I wouldn't buy a 3k watch without trying it, let alone a Patek (the brand itself is a grail for me). Need to try, take photos and think about it very well. I have to love the watch on my wrist.

Lifestyle wise, I intend to wear the watch a lot. 30% of the time, at least. It's a dress watch but I hope that 5127 goes well with a casual shirt.

Thanks again, keep them coming.
Old 18 April 2017, 05:29 AM   #10
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
If you often dress with suit and tie the Calatrava is ok, but if you dress casual believe me the Nautilus is a much better buy, it is with the Aqp 15202 THE high end SS sport watch, I doubted that it was worth it as well when I got my first, went for the 5712, now added a 5711, and they are great watches, all depends on your dress style and the type of watches you like
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 12:08 AM   #11
daveyw
"TRF" Member

Have you considered a 5296? Great reference imo
daveyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 08:54 PM   #12
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I would agree on looking at the 5296. 38mm, looks a lot like the 5227, no dust cover and much better price. The two look very similar, only 1mm difference in diameter.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 08:58 PM   #13
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
The crown guards on the 5127 make it look a bit dated, from when manufacturers were trying to make their dress watches look more sporty. It seems there's a reverse of that trend now and a return to more traditional dress watch styles.
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 06:14 AM   #14
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
Have you considered a 5296? Great reference imo
Thanks Dave, it is indeed a nice watch. I rarely saw one up for sale so that's why I did not include it. I like it very much, including the sector dial.

@lemieux
I actually like the crown guards and the "less dressy" look.
I am not the type of person to go with the trends, anyway. I reckon, any model of Calatrava will always be a classic with or without crownguards.
Old 20 April 2017, 07:10 AM   #15
daveyw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Thanks Dave, it is indeed a nice watch. I rarely saw one up for sale so that's why I did not include it.

@lemieux

I actually like the crown guards and the "less dressy" look.

I am not the type of person to go with the trends, anyway. I reckon, any model of Calatrava will always be a classic with or without crownguards.

The 5296 is worth seeking out. It's a great size, has the '96 look with its flat bezel, the dial is more interesting than the 5227 and available in white, yellow and rose (my favourite) gold.
daveyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 05:38 AM   #16
sep1234
"TRF" Member

Thumbs up to the 5227! I bought a 5227j in November 2015. It is such a beautiful dress watch, and it feels modern. The caseback is worth the money to me. It is really neat. All of my friends and coworkers think that the caseback is really classy. From a practical point, you get the best of both: a metal back for better comfort on the skin (glass sticks to my skin) and a see-through glass back to view the movement. Speaking of the movement, I appreciate the updated 324 movement at 8 bpm compared to the 315 movement at 6 bpm.

The yellow gold is fantastic. The dial has a really nice off-white, creamy look that complements my dress shirts very well. The concave curvature of the bezel and lugs is another attractive detail, which makes it look modern. I don't mind the diameter of 39 mm. I think it looks just fine as a dress watch, especially in today's times with a total lack of formality in peoples' appearances. Besides, the dial and date are easier to read, which makes the larger diameter more practical.

I have since bought two other straps—black and burgundy. The original strap is brown, which matches very well with my brown dress shoes (balmorals or loafers) and belts. I bought the black strap as the default strap from the white gold model. I had to custom-order the burgundy strap. The yellow gold of the 5227j on the burgundy strap is extremely sharp when matched with burgundy shoes and belt with gold buckle!

I really just love my 5227j. I have no regrets on my decision. It was a difficult decision, because I was not able to find ANY posts on the 5227 back in 2015. It is a rare watch. As others have indicated, you can buy an annual calendar for not much more than the 5227. I enjoy my 5227j over an annual calendar. The 5227 complements all of my business casual and business formal outfits very well. Its beauty lies in the simplicity of a dress watch with only a date complication, but the 5227 has more interesting details upon further inspection.

I recommend going in person to a Patek dealer. I fell in love with the 5227 the first time I saw it in person. It is breathtaking in person!
sep1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 10:49 PM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Hi folks,

I am at a stage in my life when I am kind of getting close to finally get a Patek (late 30's). Looking to reduce the no of watches ans stick to 2-3 pieces that I will own on a long term.

I have a Sub that is there to stay and the rest of the watches are subject to be put up for sale to fund the Patek or other watch.
I am a big fan of the Nautilus but I cannot justify paying that much for it and the Calatrava makes a bit more sense as I ll always have a sports Rolex to compliment it.

Coming back to the 2 Patek models, I did a lot of reading and took a liking to the crown guards of the 5127. I tend to think it is one of the best buys.
I also like the 5227 so I am considering it.

Size
Of course we are looking at 37mm vs 39mm. I have no problem with 37mm as I am old school and still believe 35mm vintage pieces are great.

Movement
315 vs 324
Any pros and cons here?

I look forward to hear other people's experience with these models. Pros and cons, versatility etc.

some photos are always nice to see:
Most 5127s have the 324 movement only the very first have the 315. Really no difference in movements. 324 is 4hz but has shorter power reserve as a result.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 02:20 AM   #18
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
5227, it's one of the very few dress watches I could imagine myself with
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 02:22 AM   #19
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
My choice was a 5227r