The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 January 2013, 11:05 PM   #1
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
G Shock Questions

Hi everyone. I'm in the market for another G Shock. Currently I have this model;

http://www.gshock.com/watches/Classic/GWM500A-1

I don't wear it anymore, I just use it to set my other watches by. I find the resin band is uncomfortable. It's possible it's due to the fact that there isn't any give on the band where it meets the case.

Anyway, I'm looking for one where this doesn't happen and where the strap is more comfortable. Also, one where I could easily change the strap to a nylon or velcro one is something I want to be able to do also. I like the negative display, but how is the legibility during the daylight and in the sun?

I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say. Thanks in advance and Happy Sunday
Old 28 January 2013, 02:23 AM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I got my first GShock (thanks to Seth) recently and here are my thoughts on the negative display. It's virtually impossible to see in dim light situations without the back light. The model I have turns it on automatically when you assume the position to read the time. You can also manually activate the light by pressing the G button. In direct sunlight, it's a little washed out as well so you have to move your wrist around a little to read the time. IMO the black on white is much easier to read.

The strap on mine is pretty inflexible near the case as well. I'm going to replace the stock strap with a Casio Velcro option. It does have great sizing flexibility due to the holes that pretty much go all the way around the strap.

Overall I love these watches for their robustness and utility. IMO it's a watch you take with you when you MUST be able to tell the time but the activity doesn't permit the use of your regular rotation. YMMV.

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 03:07 AM   #3
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
I like them from a far. But IMHO too space age for me.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 08:15 AM   #4
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I got my first GShock (thanks to Seth) recently and here are my thoughts on the negative display. It's virtually impossible to see in dim light situations without the back light. The model I have turns it on automatically when you assume the position to read the time. You can also manually activate the light by pressing the G button. In direct sunlight, it's a little washed out as well so you have to move your wrist around a little to read the time. IMO the black on white is much easier to read.

The strap on mine is pretty inflexible near the case as well. I'm going to replace the stock strap with a Casio Velcro option. It does have great sizing flexibility due to the holes that pretty much go all the way around the strap.

Overall I love these watches for their robustness and utility. IMO it's a watch you take with you when you MUST be able to tell the time but the activity doesn't permit the use of your regular rotation. YMMV.

Thank you Mike Now I will rule out a negative display model.
Old 28 January 2013, 09:20 AM   #5
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Look up GW5000, it has *upgraded* strap (better rubber) and its super comfortable.

You can try GW5600B for reversed LCD, but it has been discontinued can its getting harder to come by

If you don't like the price of GW5000, try GWM5610 (GWM5610BC with reversed LCD and bracelet) and then get a GW5000 strap for it.

I even tried GW6900 with the strap from GW5000 and it was very comfortable as well.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2013, 10:36 AM   #6
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
Look up GW5000, it has *upgraded* strap (better rubber) and its super comfortable.

You can try GW5600B for reversed LCD, but it has been discontinued can its getting harder to come by

If you don't like the price of GW5000, try GWM5610 (GWM5610BC with reversed LCD and bracelet) and then get a GW5000 strap for it.

I even tried GW6900 with the strap from GW5000 and it was very comfortable as well.
Will do. Thank you
Old 28 January 2013, 11:00 AM   #7
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I love my G-Shock. Metal bracelet and comfy. I can't read the world time zones though. IMO the RG plating on black is fun.

lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 08:48 PM   #8
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lig View Post
I love my G-Shock. Metal bracelet and comfy. I can't read the world time zones though. IMO the RG plating on black is fun.

That looks nice too. Thank you
Old 30 January 2013, 02:08 AM   #9
sharpmind
"TRF" Member

I have a negative display, which looks good, but telling the time in the daylight is not easy. i find the strap very comfortable and hardly know i'm wearing a watch.
sharpmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 08:56 PM   #10
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmind View Post
I have a negative display, which looks good, but telling the time in the daylight is not easy. i find the strap very comfortable and hardly know i'm wearing a watch.
Thank you
Old 30 January 2013, 09:21 PM   #11
wokafu
"TRF" Member

Watch: SM300+14060M
mine to share...
Old 30 January 2013, 11:01 PM   #12
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Here is my small G-Shock collection. One more has been added since I took this photo. I enjoy my G-Shock watches as inexpensive fun watches. All of mine are atomic/solar models. I tried a neg. display, but as suggested they are far too hard to read. Happy Hunting! Cheers, Bill P.

gaopa is offline   Reply With Quote