The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10 October 2015, 04:43 AM   #121
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Not a Patek owner and realistically might not be able to achieve one for several years.

That being said, I think a lot of the responses being thrown around are insulting.

Telling someone that the brand isn't for them implies that there is something wrong with them and not the brand.

That's insanity. No one should be saying that. There is absolutely no excuse for the way the OP has been treated. Both by PP and by his AD.

This is supposed to be a community of watch enthusiasts. I'm not in the position to do anything about it, but it seems crazy to me that someone here couldn't help the OP. It doesn't have to be a public thing, but I refuse to believe that there aren't at least a few members here who couldn't put some high level calls into Patek.

OP, I would honestly take a refund and walk away. You tried your best and the company let you down. Maybe try again in a few years if PP gets their act together. You didn't do anything wrong. Everyone here should have rallied behind you.
Think you should go back a re-read the replies, as OP clearly states ("I don't take offense to any of the advise what so ever"). If one has this many issues with a watch brand, I would tell them the same thing...get a refund and walkaway. I'm certainly not defending Patek or the AD.

People have issues with various brands period. If I went through this scenario, I'm not sure (insert any brand) is a brand I would invest much more time (HENCE, it would NOT be a brand for me (or in this case OP) or one I would invest buying another watch). It's not rocket science.

I know someone who had a heck of a time with AP and I told him the same thing. Would I personally stop buying AP...no. I have owned Patek and will probably buy a few more at some time in the future. Would I buy another one if this had happened, who knows.

What I do know is I'd simply ask for my money back (as was offered a while ago) and walk away from the brand for a while (and maybe forever). Everyone is on the OP's side, but at some point you have to cut your losses, get the money back and move on. Simple.
Old 10 October 2015, 05:24 AM   #122
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Think you should go back a re-read the replies, as OP clearly states ("I don't take offense to any of the advise what so ever"). If one has this many issues with a watch brand, I would tell them the same thing...get a refund and walkaway. I'm certainly not defending Patek or the AD.

People have issues with various brands period. If I went through this scenario, I'm not sure (insert any brand) is a brand I would invest much more time (HENCE, it would NOT be a brand for me (or in this case OP) or one I would invest buying another watch). It's not rocket science.

I know someone who had a heck of a time with AP and I told him the same thing. I have owned Patek and will probably buy a few more at some time in the future. Would I buy another one if this had happened, who knows.

What I do know is I'd simply ask for my money back (as was offered a while ago) and walk away from the brand for a while (and maybe forever). Everyone is on the OP's side, but at some point you have to cut your losses, get the money back and move on. Simple.
Just to be clear on that Paul, I was never offered a refund at any point in time.

The customer service agent at PP said I could always return the watch to my AD..

Up to my AD if they want to stick me with a store credit (which I would never stand for)

But judging by the kind of person the owner of the AD seems to be, I'm sure that's what he would attempt to do. But again, my attorney would never let him get away with that.

I was never offered a refund by anyone.

Pat was supposed to get back with me today, but have not heard a thing yet. I have also not received a response back from the owner from his email that I responded to yesterday either.

Time will tell.

But I like the watch and I know patek is not this incompetent. Just laziness on their part.

I'm sure everyone here knows they can get this right if they cared enough to.

Time will tell at this point. Lets see how it all unfolds. Another replacement watch or a cash refund. I would be fine with either at this point.

But I hope in the end, Patek will prove us all wrong and turn this nightmare around and keep me as a happy customer feeling confident about the quality of my watch.
Lets see if they care enough to. lets see.
Old 10 October 2015, 05:32 AM   #123
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
Just to be clear on that Paul, I was never offered a refund at any point in time.

The customer service agent at PP said I could always return the watch to my AD..

Up to my AD if they want to stick me with a store credit (which I would never stand for)
Well in that case, I would ask for refund and move on (oh I already said that ).
Old 10 October 2015, 05:41 AM   #124
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well in that case, I would as for refund and move on (oh I already said that ).
I get where you are coming from for sure paul.

Here is my situation on that. After how hard I have worked to get in touch with PP and dealing with all the drama leading up to this point. ESP the hour + drives to my AD back and forth.. It would be such a shame to end up with my money back and absolutely Nothing to show for my efforts and troubles.

It's very easy to ask for a refund.

But if patek can get it right, like sending me a normal watch that meets their specs of quality, fit and finish, plus maybe a small token like the travel case I asked for (see below) and maybe a warranty extension, I would be more happy with that, than ending up with my money back at square one with nothing to show for all my efforts.

Love this case. RussW has one and I have had my eye on it since he posted it here!
Old 10 October 2015, 05:50 AM   #125
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I know someone who had a heck of a time with AP and I told him the same thing. Would I personally stop buying AP...no. I have owned Patek and will probably buy a few more at some time in the future. Would I buy another one if this had happened, who knows.

My post wasn't aimed directly at you, but at the sentiment in general.

I just hope everything works out. This isn't a seiko, rolex, or any other brand. It's PP. As someone looking in from the outside, I can't even fathom how something like this can happen to someone trying over and over to hand a company 50K for a watch.
Old 10 October 2015, 05:53 AM   #126
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
The way Patek has handled this has been awful, and when reading stories like this I think we all lose some faith in the brand. Having said that, I don't think it's just as simple as getting a refund and moving on. When spending 50k on a watch it isn't done lightly and when you've chosen a watch, to settle on anything else from another brand would be a compromise and I don't think that's the right solution either. If it had been a 5711, I would have agreed to cut your losses and get a 15202, but not that simple IMO with the 5990.

So I think giving Patek one last chance to get this right is absolutely the right thing to do. If they screw up again, well there are plenty of other nice watches from AP and others.

Good luck
Old 10 October 2015, 05:55 AM   #127
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
The way Patek has handled this has been awful, and when reading stories like this I think we all lose some faith in the brand. Having said that, I don't think it's just as simple as getting a refund and moving on. When spending 50k on a watch it isn't done lightly and when you've chosen a watch, to settle on anything else from another brand would be a compromise and I don't think that's the right solution either. If it had been a 5711, I would have agreed to cut your losses and get a 15202, but not that simple IMO with the 5990.

So I think giving Patek one last chance to get this right is absolutely the right thing to do. If they screw up again, well there are plenty of other nice watches from AP and others.

Good luck
well said Russ and I agree with you. Hard to find a substitute for such a particular watch like the 5990.
Old 10 October 2015, 06:01 AM   #128
SubKing
"TRF" Member

I think I need some chocolates to make me feel better about the situation

Old 10 October 2015, 06:04 AM   #129
RussW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
well said Russ and I agree with you. Hard to find a substitute for such a particular watch like the 5990.
Also worth saying, for balance, is that if you were having these issues with an AP 44mm I also wouldn't say to move on from that as no one else has anything comparable. Not trying to argue Patek is the best, more horses for courses.
Old 10 October 2015, 06:30 AM   #130
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
This is insane .... As a first time Patek owner (with the intent to own more), I'm really turned off of the brand ... I own multiple IWC/JLC/Rolex etc and have never seen this sort of QA ...
Old 10 October 2015, 06:46 AM   #131
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Also worth saying, for balance, is that if you were having these issues with an AP 44mm I also wouldn't say to move on from that as no one else has anything comparable. Not trying to argue Patek is the best, more horses for courses.
Speaking of 44mm.. My Friday night watch. no flaws here perfection.
Old 10 October 2015, 06:50 AM   #132
rodwatch69
Banned

Watch: Gilt GMT
Let me play psychic in this situation..

You won't get your third shot at the apple my friend. You are done with the AD and PP.

You WILL get your refund, PP and the AD want nothing more to do with customers that complain. A brand new replacement? A third watch? I highly doubt it.

Take your money and go to NYC where on 47th street you can find the same watch, touch it and inspect it and pay 30% less. You will be treated well, you will guarantee yourself a perfect watch or you don't buy it and with the money you save it pays for the trip and then some. But, you and this AD are done. Bridge officially burned.

Lets see how my prediction pans out..
Old 10 October 2015, 06:56 AM   #133
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwatch69 View Post
Let me play psychic in this situation..

You won't get your third shot at the apple my friend. You are done with the AD and PP.

You WILL get your refund, PP and the AD want nothing more to do with customers that complain. A brand new replacement? A third watch? I highly doubt it.

Take your money and go to NYC where on 47th street you can find the same watch, touch it and inspect it and pay 30% less. You will be treated well, you will guarantee yourself a perfect watch or you don't buy it and with the money you save it pays for the trip and then some. But, you and this AD are done. Bridge officially burned.

Lets see how my prediction pans out..
The proof is clear in my pictures. I don't see how any reasonable person would think different about the defects present here.

I guess the big question is, are they reasonable? So far, not really.
Old 10 October 2015, 07:07 AM   #134
SubKing
"TRF" Member

on hold now with patek, but pat just called me and left a message that the bracelet is within their QC tolerance. what a joke, I am about to explode now. be back soon
Old 10 October 2015, 07:08 AM   #135
RussW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Speaking of 44mm.. My Friday night watch. no flaws here perfection.

Very, very nice. That and the 5990 make an awesome pair
Old 10 October 2015, 07:10 AM   #136
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
on hold now with patek, but pat just called me and left a message that the bracelet is within their QC tolerance. what a joke, I am about to explode now. be back soon
stressful
Old 10 October 2015, 07:11 AM   #137
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As you are exploding--re-read:
Quote:
Well in that case, I would ask for refund and move on (oh I already said that ).
Old 10 October 2015, 07:13 AM   #138
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

People always wait until the end of the day to break bad news. Shocking.
Old 10 October 2015, 07:38 AM   #139
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Wow they must be kidding
tell him nonononononono and no it isn t the watch is a joke it shouldnt leave the PP factory- sorry manufacture- as so, ask refund and send the whole story to Mr.TS tell him his ppl are clowns and all what they say is rubbish.period.

get an ALS and have a happy life.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 10 October 2015, 09:05 AM   #140
SubKing
"TRF" Member

I held my composure for sure. Pat and I spoke for about an hour on the phone. My voice hurts. I felt like I spent an hour convincing him that I do not have unreasonable expectations. I told him everything I felt about the way I been dealt with and how I feel patek has had their noses in the air about this entire situation. No one has apologized once or acknowledged that my first watch should have never left the factory like that.

He said, but collectors use magnification to look for defects and nothing is that perfect. I told him, I am not using magnification. these pictures I am taking are not from a macro lense high def camera. They are all taken from my iphone.

I told him if you think that the proof I am providing are within QC tolerances, then I want a refund. Not a store credit, but a refund. He said he would have to speak to his superiors to try to make that happen.

I further told him, that I wanted this watch. Maybe some customers will pull funny business because they have buyers remorse or something. Maybe they just no longer want the watch. But I am telling you I still want the watch, I just want what patek advertises. A master watch maker should have cherry picked the very best 5990 for me the second time and obviously that never happened.

I told him, the service has been terrible, the AD owner has not been nice to me, and all for what? To get a refund and walk away with nothing gained? I said, I believe in 3rd times a charm. I think you guys should be able to get me a proper watch.

So to make a long story short, he has to send this back to Geneva all over again. He doesn't think they will replace it again. He thinks its a better idea instead of getting a new watch with more unknown's, to work off of this one to correct the bracelet and the dial and the movement issues..

I told him I don't want to wait months. I just won't. He said he will make sure and try that he can make it top priority.

I told him if I had to choose between the first defective 5990 and the second 5990, I would choose the first one. This "new" 5990 is much worse off.

I said if they can fix the defects on my first one, then I will take that one back.

I feel what difference does it make at this point if my old one is fixed and sent back to me or I get another "new" one. It seems these "new" 5990's are refurbished anyways..

I have nothing more to lose. If they cannot make me happy this time around, then its refund time. But yes, it took me an hour of arguing to prove my points. I even brought up this forum and all the members and how I am not alone with thinking these defects are not right..

I told him this entire time, patek has made me feel like my business means nothing to them and it probably doesn't.

I told him part of service is making the customer feel catered to. But I feel bad about the way I been handled. I said there is no excuse for that.

So who knows which old watch they send me back and what it will look like. At this point, I don't have high hopes, but I also having nothing to lose giving them one more shot. I'm sure many will disagree with my choice to give them another shot.
Old 10 October 2015, 09:08 AM   #141
martinr
"TRF" Member

SubKing, get a refund, forget your time driving etc and forget about a free travel case, buy another 5990, they're not that hard to find.
Old 10 October 2015, 09:17 AM   #142
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
In the hope of getting "something" to compensate for all your efforts and pain... you may lose even more time, energy and emotion on this THIRD attempt and without a guarantee for a GOOD outcome - It is just not worth it unless you have lots of time and energy to burn. Buying 2 lemons in a row... probability has not been on your side!

Please get a refund and find a new AD who will treat you right and let you examine the next Patek in person before taking her home. Lastly, I think the CEO needs to hear from you.

Good luck Sir!
Old 10 October 2015, 09:38 AM   #143
texex91
"TRF" Member

I'm done with this thread--do what you want and good luck with getting the outcome you desire.
Old 10 October 2015, 09:51 AM   #144
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Also noticed the sub dial hand for the chronograph is off a hair to the right

Also, I held the watch up to my desk lamp and look how blotchy the lume glows on the minute hand
Old 10 October 2015, 09:56 AM   #145
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm done with this thread--do what you want and good luck with getting the outcome you desire.
Thanks for letting us all know you're done with the thread Paul
Old 10 October 2015, 10:22 AM   #146
Mikehii
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Patek
Quote:
Let SK do what he got to do or need to do. Don't understand why you try so hard trying to pull him down.

Good luck to you SK, hope you solve your problem.
Old 10 October 2015, 10:25 AM   #147
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehii View Post
Let SK do what he got to do or need to do. Don't understand why you try so hard trying to pull him down.

Good luck to you SK, hope you solve your problem.
LOL have a feeling he will continue to complain, nothing I'm doing or saying that will change that..."he got to do or need to do".

Trying to 'pull him down' -- let's not over dramatize this.

As they say here in Texas--I have no dog in this hunt and so wishing the best to Patek to deal with OP ()
Old 10 October 2015, 10:48 AM   #148
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL Have a feeling he will continue to complain, nothing I'm doing or saying that will change that..."he got to do or need to do".

Trying to 'pull him down' -- let's not over dramatize this.

As they say here in Texas--I have no dog in this hunt and so wishing the best to Patek to deal with OP ()
Be nice Paul. We are all on the same team. No one forced you to read this thread
Old 10 October 2015, 11:04 AM   #149
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Also noticed the sub dial hand for the chronograph is off a hair to the right.

Also, I held the watch up to my desk lamp and look how blotchy the lume glows on the minute hand.
Christ!…it only gets worse.
For that to have supposedly passed all the QC stages during production, is a ‘king joke of epic proportions.
It clearly demonstrates you can bum and blow as much as you like about how wonderful you are, but it’s all just a load of hot air when the actions don’t match the words.

I know all 80K pieces produced each year aren’t up to the same sloppy standard as this one conveys, but even so, this has to reflect badly on the image they portray.
Whomever was responsible for the two poor excuses for haute horology SubKing has received, needs to undergo retraining, or informed that he’s been found a role for which he will be better suited – at Invicta.

And there’s me thinking Patek wouldn’t have understood the British acronym of DFR – do ’king rightly! – never mind implementing it as part of their QC process.
Old 10 October 2015, 11:10 AM   #150
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Christ!…it only gets worse.
For that to have supposedly passed all the QC stages during production, is a ‘king joke of epic proportions.
It clearly demonstrates you can bum and blow as much as you like about how wonderful you are, but it’s all just a load of hot air when the actions don’t match the words.

I know all 80K pieces produced each year aren’t up to the same sloppy standard as this one conveys, but even so, this has to reflect badly on the image they portray.
Whomever was responsible for the two poor excuses for haute horology SubKing has received, needs to undergo retraining, or informed that he’s been found a role for which he will be better suited – at Invicta.
invicta thanks for the support and for all your help via PM. As well as directing your contact at patek to this thread. means a lot to me for the help.
Closed Thread