The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 31 August 2023, 01:53 AM   #1
DD18238
"TRF" Member

Panerai WR with Lever Open

Hey all,

Recently got my first Panerai a PAM005. Watch is from 2009, and unsure of its service history.

This morning I washed my Panerai off in the sink to remove some flour that got onto it while my wife was cooking. I washed it off and then without thinking, flipped open the lever while washing it off and then closed the lever again.

I'm unsure if this has the potential to have introduced some water inside the case? I'm unfamiliar with Panerai's WR and seals when it comes to the lever being open.

Anyone able to offer some insight?

Thanks!
DD18238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 09:14 AM   #2
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Keep an eye on it but it should be fine
Leaving the lever open is akin to leaving a threaded crown unscrewed
While it would compromise the water resistance of the case, i doubt it would reduce it to zero

My missus have a few cheap watches with no water resistance rating and they've survived the odd rinse under the tap.

Worst comes to worst, the glass fogs up from the inside and then you'll be motivated to get your 15yo watch serviced
Old 31 August 2023, 09:26 AM   #3
DD18238
"TRF" Member

Thanks.

Seems fine under normal conditions today.

I did the old ice cube test (holding an ice cube on the crystal for a min) and I can get it to form some condensation on the underside of the crystal but it is light and clears up in 20-30 seconds which seems normal. No heavy fogging or drops forming.
DD18238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 06:38 PM   #4
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I may be wrong so hopefully someone corrects me or confirms, but I do not think leaving the lever open makes the watch any less water resistant, as long as the crown is pushed all the way in. I believe the purpose of the lever, and this dates back to when the Panerai was used for harsh conditions during maritime combat, is to protect the crown from getting it knocked off the watch from impact.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 07:34 PM   #5
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
The crown moves out a little as you open the lever. Not sure if resistance is compromised though.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 10:53 PM   #6
StanCho
"TRF" Member

Watch the video from series of Panerai factory tour. They stress test one of the PAMs for WR with the lever left open - nothing happened.

5 min mark, Due with 30 m WR tested to 200 m WR pressure equivalent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4f9vr6VWv8
StanCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2023, 09:33 AM   #7
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1 View Post
I may be wrong so hopefully someone corrects me or confirms, but I do not think leaving the lever open makes the watch any less water resistant, as long as the crown is pushed all the way in. I believe the purpose of the lever, and this dates back to when the Panerai was used for harsh conditions during maritime combat, is to protect the crown from getting it knocked off the watch from impact.
Also happy to be corrected, but i thought the lever design came from a time where watches required decent water resistance but were also manual wind and the concern was the daily unscrewing of the crown to wind the movement would cause premature wear to the threads and ruin the WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarinda View Post
The crown moves out a little as you open the lever. Not sure if resistance is compromised though.
The lever operates the same as a Screw Down Crown would.
When you open it, the crown pops out and the watch has as much WR as something without a SDC
Fine for washing your hands (or maybe a shower) but i wouldnt get in a pool with it like that
Old 2 September 2023, 04:03 PM   #8
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanCho View Post
Watch the video from series of Panerai factory tour. They stress test one of the PAMs for WR with the lever left open - nothing happened.

5 min mark, Due with 30 m WR tested to 200 m WR pressure equivalent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4f9vr6VWv8

I've seen this before and have referenced it to many nay sayers about 30m. I hadn't noticed though that the crown lever was left open. Very impressed.

As a side note as well, most watches with screw down crowns use a mechanism where the screwing down adds NO additional water protection. I believe that Rolex utilise a crown and seal design that does increase water resistance though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 12:58 PM   #9
samsmart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Tint
I have a pam 299. I was at the beach fishing years ago. Wading in water up to my waist, had been out for an hour or so, looked down at my watch, and the lever was open.

I closed it right away, but the next morning, the xtal was all fogged up. Ended up being ok, sent the watch in for service, and just needing a cleaning.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
samsmart is offline   Reply With Quote