The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 March 2008, 12:32 PM   #31
nsolga
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc
RSC - send it back!

Tell us what happens - I too would just call them and send directly USPS registered and insured mail.

Past:
16610 SS Sub Date
nsolga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 12:59 PM   #32
timackerman
"TRF" Member

As the others have said, take it to an AD
Old 10 March 2008, 01:30 PM   #33
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
First are you sure you removed the protective film on the bezel.
Oh my.....looks as if.....

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 02:21 PM   #34
CPCC
"TRF" Member

Take it to the AD and have them check it out.
Old 10 March 2008, 02:39 PM   #35
mattyo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Yup, RSC or AD for sure...

sounds like this ones have baked (pun intended) or someone left off the top coat...

I wouldnt be happy with it at all...
mattyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 03:02 PM   #36
rob
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SS only
Off to the AD u go and let us all know what your outcome is please!!! WOW?
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 03:13 PM   #37
ricnas1

Watch: GMT II
scratched by diamond ring?

or the bezel is ceramic but the scratch is on the outercoat?
ricnas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 03:40 PM   #38
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Sounds like a trip to RSC to me. Good luck and keep us posted on the findings.
Old 10 March 2008, 03:46 PM   #39
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricnas1 View Post
scratched by diamond ring?

or the bezel is ceramic but the scratch is on the outercoat?

it's my understanding that it is solid ceramic, there is no outer coat. the rolex reps told me they have to use the same tools and methods to polish them as they do diamonds because it is too hard for anything else.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 04:18 PM   #40
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallr47 View Post
Sounds like a trip to RSC to me. Good luck and keep us posted on the findings.
Sounds more like Rolex need to go back to their drawing boards and reconsider manufacture of any further Rollies with ceramic bezels!!

And leave that job to RADO alone....the masters of ceramics!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 06:02 PM   #41
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
There is no protective film on the ceramic bezel when purchased, Peter. It comes with a regular plastic bezel protector.

Anyway, it does look like a flaw to me, too. So it's good advice to have the bezel insert exchanged under warranty since a new bezel insert costs a lot!

See this quote from Ironstark:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironstark View Post
Are you sure the pictured bezel component is from a GMTII bezel assembly?
It does look like part of the bezel assembly for the YMII.
It does`nt match any of the components shown in the diagram above. I have had to remove bezels from both of these watches in the past.
£600 for the insert is not right, thats closer to the price for the complete bezel.
The ceramic inserts are, like the previous generation a friction fit and push out from behind.
The retail price for the ceramic insert for a SS GMTII is £375 ($734) + plus applicable taxes in your country.
The retail price for the bezel complete for a SS GMTII is £676 ($1324) + plus applicable taxes in your country.
Prices quoted are from Rolex material dept as of today.
Pretty pricey, huh. So all of you GMT II ceramic owners out there be careful with your watches!!!!
It will certainly make me think twice about changing the insert when the two colour versions become available. (even with my staff discount!!!!)

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2008, 08:10 PM   #42
MAXI DIAL
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Old 11 March 2008, 03:17 AM   #43
Trainer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT, Blue Sub
I have to add my 2c worth and agree with those who have said that this appears to be a manufacturing defect.
I would call the RSC, explain and ask for their instructions for return.

I've had my GMT IIc since October of last year and it's had some pretty good knocks against door jambs, etc., without a scratch.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tempus Fugit,
Trainer
Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2008, 06:37 AM   #44
virtualtg

Any follow-up on this post.......

Thanks.
virtualtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2008, 06:49 AM   #45
JostheBoss
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIc
I tend to agree with the others and say it's a defect. It looks too angular for a scratch, which is usually linear. If it was scratched in order to leavthat mark it would have been more a direct strike than a classic scratch. I think you would have remembered that.

Send it to RSC and hear what they say...
Old 13 March 2008, 08:29 AM   #46
richc1958
Banned

I do not wan to seem rude or mean or anything like that, But I have to ask. Why buy such a great watch to let i sit in the box and only wear it occasionally I use to wear my TT all the time to the amazement of some and my new SS sub has not left my wrist since buying it 2 weeks ago but .......it would be like leaving my BMW in the garage and not driving it so to miss this beautiful machines awesome power...no way to both.
richc1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2008, 08:34 AM   #47
0luke1

It's a good point about a defect - I'll bet this forum would have heard about more marks and scratches if it were going to be a commonplace failure of the ceramic material.
0luke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2008, 09:31 AM   #48
newrolexman
"TRF" Member

Did you by chance take pictures on day one?

I took lots and lots of pictures of both my watches just for comparsion sake as they get aged.

If you have before and after you can either prove an imperfect when new out of the box OR scratched during normal wear.

I d call rolex in NYC and tell them you arent happy with the scuff/scratch and they will probably tell you to send it in. Pics may help either way.

Don
newrolexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2008, 12:30 PM   #49
Destroy

Hmm.....I've worn mine (since new) every single day (for 7 months) - play golf with it, run with it, swim with it, go drinking with it, bashed it against all sorts of metal objects (seriously) - not to mention the bling my wife wears (I always run for cover when she starts waiving her arms around LOL) - and whilst the shiny stainless links are a bit scratched, the face/bezel is as it left the factory. Bravo Rolex. I'd go get it checked out. I've heard that Rolex may be able to polish any scratches out of ceramic - like how they touch up the saph glass - but I'd definitely get it checked out. Good luck!
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2008, 12:52 PM   #50
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Sorry to hear the bad news I was aware that the ceramic bezels could break (My AD has replaced two so far at a large $734.00 per bezel. Ceramic bezels don't like being dropped onto tile they tend to break) I had no idea they scratch????
Old 13 March 2008, 02:02 PM   #51
sharif

I just took another VERY close look at my ceramic bezel. In my line of work, it's constantly banging around, and getting into things....not one scratch or blemish on the bezel....wish I could say the same thing about the braclet!!

That seriously must be a defect of time kind....or maybe some really stubborn dirt?
sharif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2008, 03:33 PM   #52
scott22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharif View Post
I just took another VERY close look at my ceramic bezel. In my line of work, it's constantly banging around, and getting into things....not one scratch or blemish on the bezel....wish I could say the same thing about the braclet!!

That seriously must be a defect of time kind....or maybe some really stubborn dirt?
BINGO! I think this may be it!!

I originally noticed the scatches when I was cleaning the bezel with a Rolex cleaning cloth. The "scratches" wouldn't come off, even with a lot of force. Upon examining it closely they really looked like scratches or some other physical flaw in the bezel. I then became paranoid, thinking that the ceramic could easily be scratched, far more easily than I had instinctively thought, so I didn't try any herculean efforts at cleaning the bezel as I was afraid that would only make matters worse.

But, after reading your post, I decided to take another look. I still couldn't "scrub off" the scratches with the cleaning cloth, no matter how hard I tried -- it didn't appear to be making a difference at all. The next thing I tried might make some of you wince.. I grabbed a 70% alochol swab and started rubbing it against the scratches. The first one didn't seem to make much difference, although it seemed like the scratches were ever-so-slightly harder to see. But I continued this with a few swabs and little by little, the scratches disappeared. (Don't worry, I gave the Rolex a thorough running under water each time I used the alcohol. Does anyone else get nervous placing a Rolex under running water? It gives me pause each time, even though I know better.)

Now I can't see the scratches at all. I'll have to check again with different lighting (it was most obvious with sunlight hitting it), but I think they may actually be gone. It is certainly better, which casts doubt on it being scratches.

This makes me very happy.

Now I'm a little baffled as to what the residue was. It really had the appearance of a scratch and it took the alcohol to clear it away. It almost seems like a resin or glue of some type -- could this be some kind of residue left over from the manufacturing process? I can't think of anything I would have been exposed to that would have left that kind of residue on the bezel.

Well, for now it looks like the mystery was solved, and it won't be making a trip back to RSC. Really bizarre. Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. Looks like the strength of the ceramic bezel has been vindicated, for now!
scott22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2008, 03:38 PM   #53
scott22

Quote:
Originally Posted by richc1958 View Post
I do not wan to seem rude or mean or anything like that, But I have to ask. Why buy such a great watch to let i sit in the box and only wear it occasionally I use to wear my TT all the time to the amazement of some and my new SS sub has not left my wrist since buying it 2 weeks ago but .......it would be like leaving my BMW in the garage and not driving it so to miss this beautiful machines awesome power...no way to both.
I bought the watch in late November on a trip to Las Vegas and had it shipped back home (to avoid sales tax), so I didn't get it until early December. January and February I had health problems (one thing after another, which I'm thankfully over now), so I wasn't wearing a watch at all during that time. I have seven nice watches and like to give each of them wrist time. (Don't want any feeling neglected!) So I really haven't had a chance to wear the new TT all that much -- only about once per week. It's not a case of "keeping the sofa covered with plastic" -- I have no reservations against wearing it (except on, say, subways or in bad parts of town) and am not worried about getting bracelet scratches, etc. -- watches are meant to be worn. Of course, I was quite concerned that the bracelet had been scratched.. But as I just posted, that seems to have been some REALLY stubborn dirt after all, masquerading perfectly as a scratch!
scott22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2008, 03:52 PM   #54
etp095
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
Sorry to hear the bad news I was aware that the ceramic bezels could break (My AD has replaced two so far at a large $734.00 per bezel. Ceramic bezels don't like being dropped onto tile they tend to break) I had no idea they scratch????
that's why they sell insurance,that $50-60 bucks a year is worth it.
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
ladies datejust on jubilee for mom (z)
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Omega Planet Ocean,45.5 on mesh(2500D)
etp095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2008, 03:54 PM   #55
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
Talk about good news!
I'm glad the mystery got solved!

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
abigsecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2008, 01:31 AM   #56
MAC4130
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Scott you scared the behebejebeis out of me!!!! I started looking at my bezel that day and turned out Isaw some "scratches too!!!" so I buffed with my shirt, and they did not go away!!!! I was getting really scared, so I put some water and buff again... Yep it cleaned away! it was grime or something, but for some reazon it can addere to the bezel real good, and since the bezel has those numbers machined, those "grooves" will not allow the cloth to clen right on the first rubb!
Now we are a bunch of happy campers the GMTII C owners!!!!
Thanks for sharing your experience!
MAC4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2008, 09:10 AM   #57
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
guys,

insure the watch and forget about it; if something happens, you are covered!
mborkow is offline   Reply With Quote