The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 26 June 2019, 11:48 PM   #1
Superbri22
"TRF" Member

GS GMT VS ROLEX EXPLORER ii

Very interesting comparison between the two
Worth a look.
Being I’m looking to make an explorer ii my next purchase and intrigued by the GS gmt this now made it a difficult decision
https://youtu.be/IllwEM9zRPM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Superbri22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 12:33 AM   #2
jkap2323
"TRF" Member

I would go with the automatic GS GMT. Their quartz movements are truly amazing but you can get a spring drive GMT for under 6K that will be more accurate than the Rolex. In my opinion, it’s a better value when compared to the explorer II. Sorry about not including references for which model. I just got into Grand Seiko and am still a bit uneducated; but in love with the brand. Any choice you make between Rolex and GS is going to be a good one! Enjoy the hunt for the next piece

jkap2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 07:37 AM   #3
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about these. SBGN 001 003 005
I like them for the thin profile over the spring drive and high beat.

I would like to handle one and see how it feels.

Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 08:01 AM   #4
jayhaa
"TRF" Member

I don't know what it is, but the explorer 2 just looks clunky and unrefined to my eye. I would take a GS any day over it.
jayhaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 10:12 AM   #5
pkincy
"TRF" Member

I have the 005 (and an 007). I do like the numbered bezel on the 005 that you don't get on the 007 (or the new 009). I don't have an Exp 2 but I do have an Explorer. Clearly the SBGN series are better looking than the Exp 2. Between the Explorer and the SBGN series it is a bit closer. Both about the same sixe. The SBGN's are better looking but the Explorer is a great watch. Frankly the big difference is the Rolex Exp (either 1 or 2) will cost you well over twice what you will pay for an SBGN if you hurry. They are available in the mid to high 2's now, but they are getting sold out so likely will move more towards their $3200 price point over time. BTW, my Explorer keeps great time but it is not nearly as accurate as the SBGN series. And I find myself wearing the SBGN about twice as much as the Explorer. But than again I didn't buy the watch to impress someone else, only myself and frankly the GS does that for me.

pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 10:28 AM   #6
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
I have the 005 (and an 007). I do like the numbered bezel on the 005 that you don't get on the 007 (or the new 009). I don't have an Exp 2 but I do have an Explorer. Clearly the SBGN series are better looking than the Exp 2. Between the Explorer and the SBGN series it is a bit closer. Both about the same sixe. The SBGN's are better looking but the Explorer is a great watch. Frankly the big difference is the Rolex Exp (either 1 or 2) will cost you well over twice what you will pay for an SBGN if you hurry. They are available in the mid to high 2's now, but they are getting sold out so likely will move more towards their $3200 price point over time. BTW, my Explorer keeps great time but it is not nearly as accurate as the SBGN series. And I find myself wearing the SBGN about twice as much as the Explorer. But than again I didn't buy the watch to impress someone else, only myself and frankly the GS does that for me.

I’m torn between the 001 005 and 007. I don’t know if I like the 24hr bezel for its ‘explorer 2’ look, or I just like the look of it.

How is the 007 dial in person?

Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 02:50 PM   #7
pkincy
"TRF" Member

The green of course is darker in person than in photographs and the texture doesn't show up as much as it would on a lighter dial, but that is always the nature of the beast.

If you really travel and would use the GMT function it is much clearer with the marked bezel instead of the marked dial.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 12:46 PM   #8
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhaa View Post
I don't know what it is, but the explorer 2 just looks clunky and unrefined to my eye. I would take a GS any day over it.
I think that that's part of it's appeal, it's a very utilitarian feeling watch, in contrast to say the GS SBGE201...

I enjoy them both, the GS is beautiful, it's dazzling and ungodly accurate so consequently gets waaayy more wrist time, but the Rolex still goes well with the jeans, tee and Converse...
Old 30 June 2019, 12:22 AM   #9
zd550
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
The green of course is darker in person than in photographs and the texture doesn't show up as much as it would on a lighter dial, but that is always the nature of the beast.

If you really travel and would use the GMT function it is much clearer with the marked bezel instead of the marked dial.
I couldn't agree more with this.
zd550 is offline   Reply With Quote