The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 June 2019, 08:51 AM   #1
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Trade 66 oyster for 80 oyster quartz?

It's picked up this beautiful oyster precision 1966 in excellent condition on a leather strap. Thinking about trading it in for a 1980 oyster quartz with box and paper in great condition.

Here's my question. The 1980 would be a birth year for me. The watch looks beautiful but I know nothing about oyster quartz. Do they have a respected movement? would it be a dumb move for me to trade a 66 manual wind in good condition for a quartz? I don't have any other battery operated watches except for my Garmin so not sure if this is a wise decision. Would love the advice of those of you who understand and know the oyster quartz well.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
oxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
To me, that’s a slam dunk trade!! Do it!!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 09:32 AM   #3
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
The Oysterquartz is an excellent reference. I have a 19018 and absolutely love it.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 09:58 AM   #4
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Do it! The OysterQuartz is undervalued right now.

I wouldn’t even think about it!
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 11:14 AM   #5
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
Do it! The OysterQuartz is undervalued right now.

I wouldn’t even think about it!
Do you think $4,000 for box/ papers would be appropriate

Old 23 June 2019, 11:48 AM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Do you have pix of the OQ?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 01:21 PM   #7
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Your 66 is a 34mm. They're great, I have 2. But they're not valuable. If you're talking an even trade, a working OQ is a more valuable watch, approximately twice as costly in the US market. The OQ DayDate is amazing, but those are more.
Old 23 June 2019, 05:01 PM   #8
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Do you have pix of the OQ?
Great thanks for the info. Here's a pic. Will start figuring out a trade value

Old 23 June 2019, 05:02 PM   #9
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
Your 66 is a 34mm. They're great, I have 2. But they're not valuable. If you're talking an even trade, a working OQ is a more valuable watch, approximately twice as costly in the US market. The OQ DayDate is amazing, but those are more.
Understood. Thanks for that advice

Old 24 June 2019, 03:17 AM   #10
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

A 34mm manual wind precision for a 17013 OQ? That is an easy trade any day. What are you waiting for? Do it now!
Old 24 June 2019, 03:20 AM   #11
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
A 34mm manual wind precision for a 17013 OQ? That is an easy trade any day. What are you waiting for? Do it now!
Haha thanks. Appreciate the advice. It would definitely be the watch plus cash. I just didn't know much about an oyster quartz. I have contacted the seller and we're going to see if we can work something out

Old 24 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #12
offrdmania

You may be putting twice as much down in cash as thats how much more the OQ is worth. If both watches are in good working order than I would value yours at about $1800 since I dont see a bracelet on it and you didnt mention if it had box and papers. If it does have box and papers then you can add about $500 to its value and if there is a nice tight bracelet too, then another $400 or so in your favor.
And the OQ, I would value it at $3500-4000 with box and papers in the current market.
Old 24 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #13
robbrum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16234
Go for it, i love my 19018
robbrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 03:25 AM   #14
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You may be putting twice as much down in cash as thats how much more the OQ is worth. If both watches are in good working order than I would value yours at about $1800 since I dont see a bracelet on it and you didnt mention if it had box and papers. If it does have box and papers then you can add about $500 to its value. And the OQ, I would value it at $3500-4000 with box and papers in the current market.
Thanks a ton. That's really great estimates. That's exactly what I was looking for. I think I'm going to offer 2000 plus my watch because there are no box or papers. I'll be willing to go up to 2200.

Old 24 June 2019, 11:38 AM   #15
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Your watch is beautiful, but PEX plus 2,200 USD is a very fair deal.
Here's mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47585650_270303676981948_4315351076674628094_n.jpg (82.7 KB, 68 views)
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 11:40 AM   #16
zapokee
"TRF" Member

The original chamfers on your potential purchase have been polished away, but there appears to be enough metal left to have them restored. I believe these are undervalued right now.
Old 24 June 2019, 11:50 AM   #17
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16803
If you look at my account name you will know I am going to be biased here. Seriously OQ are on the rise and they just keep on going and going. I have owned a few for many years and they are accurate and require very little servicing.
oysterquartz17000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 12:03 PM   #18
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
The original chamfers on your potential purchase have been polished away, but there appears to be enough metal left to have them restored. I believe these are undervalued right now.
Here's some more pictures from the ad. Yes thanks for bringing up that point. That's something I am a Little hesitant about. Ideally I would love to find a non-polished watch. The thing this one has going for it is the great blue to purple transition and all box and papers and my birth year 1980. It is only 25,000 these total I don't know if I'm going to find another 1980 box and papers in the blue face.... Thoughts?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=667329

Old 24 June 2019, 12:03 PM   #19
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterquartz17000 View Post
If you look at my account name you will know I am going to be biased here. Seriously OQ are on the rise and they just keep on going and going. I have owned a few for many years and they are accurate and require very little servicing.
How often do you have to get it serviced?

Old 24 June 2019, 12:11 PM   #20
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxzilla View Post
It is only 25,000 these total I don't know if I'm going to find another 1980 box and papers in the blue face.... Thoughts?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=667329
Nice. The B&P make it even nicer.

If they'll do this for PEX plus 2,200 USD I'd go for it. Make an offer and see what they say, then you can make a decision.
Old 24 June 2019, 12:13 PM   #21
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice. The B&P make it even nicer.

If they'll do this for PEX plus 2,200 USD you should bite their hand off. I don't think they will, though. You'll probably have to stump up more cash. Make an offer and see what they say, then you can make a decision.
What do you think would be a fair value that you would pay up to on a trade? I really appreciate the advice. I know nothing about the oyster quartz so looking to all of you for some guidance.

I'm really digging the blue to purple patina and box + papers. Not digging the fact that the watch was polished but I don't think I'm going to find a perfect balance. And if I do at that point I will hop on it but at least for now I think this is a pretty good set up.

Old 24 June 2019, 12:38 PM   #22
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxzilla View Post
What do you think would be a fair value that you would pay up to on a trade? I really appreciate the advice. I know nothing about the oyster quartz so looking to all of you for some guidance.

I'm really digging the blue to purple patina and box + papers. Not digging the fact that the watch was polished but I don't think I'm going to find a perfect balance. And if I do at that point I will hop on it but at least for now I think this is a pretty good set up.

I wouldn't worry about it being polished. The chamfers can be restored if you choose to do so.

Only you can answer how much to pay for it (and the seller is obviously on this forum, so you might want to keep your negotiating cards close to your chest).

Look at some other market prices for both watches, and do some math to work out what you're comfortable with. The equation is:

[Price to pay] = [Price of desired watch] - [Price of your PEX piece] + [Size of your watch boner]

The final variable there seems quite large.
Old 24 June 2019, 12:59 PM   #23
offrdmania

Now that I see that its C&T, I can tell you that they wont give you anywhere close to market value for your watch. Be prepared for much less than you are expecting. Thats just how it goes when dealing with a watch retailer as compared to a private person. Its like trading your car in at a dealership. You may have better luck selling your watch first and then putting that money towards what you want to buy.
Old 24 June 2019, 01:08 PM   #24
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now that I see that its C&T, I can tell you that they wont give you anywhere close to market value for your watch. Be prepared for much less than you are expecting. Thats just how it goes when dealing with a watch retailer as compared to a private person. Its like trading your car in at a dealership. You may have better luck selling your watch first and then putting that money towards what you want to buy.
Ah good point. I'll shoot him an offer and if it's really underpriced I will consider just buying it right out. Just really dig the personality of the watch and the birth year

Old 24 June 2019, 01:08 PM   #25
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it being polished. The chamfers can be restored if you choose to do so.

Only you can answer how much to pay for it (and the seller is obviously on this forum, so you might want to keep your negotiating cards close to your chest).

Look at some other market prices for both watches, and do some math to work out what you're comfortable with. The equation is:

[Price to pay] = [Price of desired watch] - [Price of your PEX piece] + [Size of your watch boner]

The final variable there seems quite large.
Haha it's that last part that always seems to get us