The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 April 2020, 04:43 AM   #1
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: PLATONA
Rolex Authorised Dealer Collusion

I wanted to get a pulse on the general feeling from TRF members about Rolex ADs and whether or not anyone has had negative experiences over the last decade (or whatever frame of reference individuals have)

My thoughts around this subject have been piqued recently with news from India and China (Hong Kong) about AD collusion with gray market dealers, I have witnessed and experienced AD collusion with a gray market dealer (one of the biggest) in the UK and what they said to me when I called them out on this dodgy behavior in store has truly damaged my faith in ADs and their ability to resist the temptation to get greedy.

I left the UK in 2018 for a more favorable tax situation and better climate and my new local AD is about as honest and good as they come; no package deals, spending minimums, premiums or discretionary waiting lists, they do things by first come first serve basis which is really quite refreshing.

But is it time we outed these bent ADs?

Below is a summary of what my previous UK AD said to me in 2018 after being on a BLNR wait list since the launch of the MK1 BLNR.

1. (AD) "...We don't keep waiting lists any more..."
(ME) "...but I've been on a 'wait list' with you since 2015..."

2. You need to spend a minimum of £100k to be put onto a "favorable" wait list and you may get this piece within 12 months

3. (AD) "...You can have the next BLNR that comes in, but you need to pay 30% premium and we retain the guarantee card so you can't sell it..."
(ME) "... I might as well buy one at full premium with guarantee card from (insert major gray dealer name here) and not have to wait at all.."
(AD) "...yes you can do that, but we have a very close relationship with (gray dealer) and we'll tell them not to sell anything to you and we will blackball you.."

4. Our boutique owner (eponymous Rolex AD) makes the decisions on who gets what and when

I may have said something rude at this point and I left quite quickly, I really can't remember, but I have not been back to these guys since.

The point I want to convey is that, there are confirmed cases of AD collusion in India and China, but this issue as been going on in the UK and I can guess the US and Europe also since Rolex started booming.

Do we need to 'out' these ADs? Where does the community stand on this subject?

Best
J

J-T-J
jamesthejeweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:53 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

Their inventory, their property. Their business model is not my problem.

If I don’t like the way an AD conducts business, I’ll just go find one that do I like.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:55 AM   #3
GenevaFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthejeweller View Post
I wanted to get a pulse on the general feeling from TRF members about Rolex ADs and whether or not anyone has had negative experiences over the last decade (or whatever frame of reference individuals have)

My thoughts around this subject have been piqued recently with news from India and China (Hong Kong) about AD collusion with gray market dealers, I have witnessed and experienced AD collusion with a gray market dealer (one of the biggest) in the UK and what they said to me when I called them out on this dodgy behavior in store has truly damaged my faith in ADs and their ability to resist the temptation to get greedy.

I left the UK in 2018 for a more favorable tax situation and better climate and my new local AD is about as honest and good as they come; no package deals, spending minimums, premiums or discretionary waiting lists, they do things by first come first serve basis which is really quite refreshing.

But is it time we outed these bent ADs?

Below is a summary of what my previous UK AD said to me in 2018 after being on a BLNR wait list since the launch of the MK1 BLNR.

1. (AD) "...We don't keep waiting lists any more..."

(ME) "...but I've been on a 'wait list' with you since 2015..."

2. You need to spend a minimum of £100k to be put onto a "favorable" wait list and you may get this piece within 12 months

3. (AD) "...You can have the next BLNR that comes in, but you need to pay 30% premium and we retain the guarantee card so you can't sell it..."

(ME) "... I might as well buy one at full premium with guarantee card from (insert major gray dealer name here) and not have to wait at all.."

(AD) "...yes you can do that, but we have a very close relationship with (gray dealer) and we'll tell them not to sell anything to you and we will blackball you.."

4. Our boutique owner (eponymous Rolex AD) makes the decisions on who gets what and when

I may have said something rude at this point and I left quite quickly, I really can't remember, but I have not been back to these guys since.

The point I want to convey is that, there are confirmed cases of AD collusion in India and China, but this issue as been going on in the UK and I can guess the US and Europe also since Rolex started booming.

Best

J
The time is Now! You owe them nothing and they are not playing by the ethical rules of retail sales. Fellow enthusiasts deserve to know who not to patronize.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
GenevaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 04:56 AM   #4
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

What happens when they all start being bent and there are NO honest dealers left...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

J-T-J
Old 20 April 2020, 05:00 AM   #5
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

5 years ago, this “gray dealer collusion” was the only way these ADs could survive because the same people complaining about it today prefered to buy at huge discounts from the very same “evil gray dealers” you speak of rather than buy new at an AD.
Old 20 April 2020, 05:00 AM   #6
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
As above, if you don't like how one works, try another.
However most of them will sell the sought after models to preferred customers. Chronological waiting lists really do not exist anymore and you will need to spend money regularly with an AD to get the "hot models". (There are exceptions of course)
Nairn1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 05:00 AM   #7
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

ADs have turned me off the brand completely. I just buy from greys or used because they appreciate my business. I have no problem with ADs allocating however they'd like, but their lack of honesty is a real turnoff.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 05:04 AM   #8
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
What happens when they all start being bent and there are NO honest dealers left...

Who cares what happens? Does it affect your life in any significant way? Businesses are free to do whatever they wish. They will reap what they sow.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 05:04 AM   #9
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
5 years ago, this “gray dealer collusion” was the only way these ADs could survive because the same people complaining about it today prefered to buy at huge discounts from these very “evil gray dealers” you speak of rather than buy new at an AD.
I'm sorry but that's not true, the PE fund I am involved with owned 10 or so ADs from mid 90s to 2014 when we exited from the business.

The only time Rolex ADs struggled with sales was in the late 60s and quartz crisis.

J-T-J
Old 20 April 2020, 05:19 AM   #10
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
No.3: Did a Rolex AD REALLY tell you they were working hand in hand with a grey dealer and they had so much hold over said grey dealer that they could actually instruct/prevent them from selling you a watch????

Im sorry OP, I dont want to disbelieve what your saying but that sounds like something straight out of a movie scene & pure fantasy on the part of the AD's SA

Even if they were working alongside a grey, they would want to keep it on the lo lo, so I would be extremely surprised if they openly admitted it to a potential customer.

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 05:20 AM   #11
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sorry but that's not true, the PE fund I am involved with owned 10 or so ADs from mid 90s to 2014 when we exited from the business.

The only time Rolex ADs struggled with sales was in the late 60s and quartz crisis.

You don’t say...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile..../idUSKBN17E2E8
Old 20 April 2020, 05:24 AM   #12
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
No.3: Did a Rolex AD REALLY tell you they were working hand in hand with a grey dealer and they had so much hold over said grey dealer that they could actually instruct/prevent them from selling you a watch????

Im sorry OP, I dont want to disbelieve what your saying but that sounds like something straight out of a movie scene & pure fantasy on the part of the AD's SA

Even if they were working alongside a grey, they would want to keep it on the lo lo, so I would be extremely surprised if they openly admitted it to a potential customer.
100%, I've sat on this for a while, the conversation I had where this bizarre exchange occurred was between an assistant salesperson and not the head honcho of the AD, who was not there at the time, now whether this was Napoleon bravado from an inexperienced salesperson or not is yet to be seen, but this is exactly what happened.

J-T-J
Old 20 April 2020, 05:25 AM   #13
Milsub114060
Banned

Everyone’s at this let be honest and everyone knows it too or rather they were and now no one is going to be paying dumb prices at all ever
Milsub114060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 05:29 AM   #14
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I'm not sure what your point is? I don't have an issue with grays per se, I'm more flabbergasted at the willfull collusion from ADs that circumvents the B2C purpose of an AD and diverts the supply chain from AD to gray dealer at premium.

J-T-J
Old 20 April 2020, 05:30 AM   #15
Soondooboo
"TRF" Member

The worst of it when AD sells watches directly to greys backdoor. The amount of fully sticker'd, BNIB rolexes at some greys is disgusting.
Soondooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 05:32 AM   #16
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soondooboo View Post
The worst of it when AD sells watches directly to greys backdoor. The amount of fully sticker'd, BNIB rolexes at some greys is disgusting.
Every model in HK grays is fully stickered, I've never not seen an honest used or second hand piece in HK.

J-T-J
Old 20 April 2020, 05:33 AM   #17
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
I can't blame AD's for selling highly allocated pieces to well established clients with significant spending histories. This practice makes sense in any retail environment to keep the "big spenders" walking in the door. AD's excepting names for waiting lists (or worse deposits) with no real intention of delivering the product that's what I find unacceptable.
vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 05:36 AM   #18
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Every business Indeed looks after its whales, and I'd be lying if i said that we also didn't do this to a small extent, but again my main problem is the complete circumventing of stock to ONLY whales or grays. It's not what Rolex as a brand stands for.

J-T-J
Old 20 April 2020, 05:37 AM   #19
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

Why did you even keep going back in the first place?
Old 20 April 2020, 05:39 AM   #20
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_State View Post
Why did you even keep going back in the first place?
It was very close to where my office was. I was on other lists at different ADs and had other relationships from when our fund operated in this space.

J-T-J
Old 20 April 2020, 06:03 AM   #21
capital
"TRF" Member

I've never been to an AD that behaved that way.
If I would have, I would share my experience here for sure, naming the AD too. As a community, it is in our benefit to rate dealers and warn about potential scammers wannabes.
capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 06:13 AM   #22
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Not sure I see the "collusion" aspect in your post. They clearly did not want to sell to you which is their right in this seller's market. Things may change soon if demand slacks off and dealers are begging for customers. As they say, it is what it is.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 06:14 AM   #23
cocoabutter
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Well ADs and Greys will have very different problems in the coming months and years to come....the tales you are spilling OP are awful and truly disgusting behaviour from ADs. Not surprising but still shocking to read in black and white
cocoabutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 06:16 AM   #24
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Not sure I see the "collusion" aspect in your post. They clearly did not want to sell to you which is their right in this seller's market. Things may change soon if demand slacks off and dealers are begging for customers. As they say, it is what it is.
Rolex AD sales mandates as prescribed by Rolex themselves is B2C, not B2B.

J-T-J
Old 20 April 2020, 06:41 AM   #25
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Or, how about we stop buying watches at grey prices. I get those people who want to pay 1k over on those pieces on which otherwise they'd have to wait. I honestly do. For example, if a BLRO was selling for 1k over grey, MSRP used or a wait list of about a year at an AD, I see how it'd make sense to enjoy having a new watch for a year longer by paying that 1k extra now. Also, nobody knows, prices can go up any point (unlikely now after COVID but still) so paying 1k extra might even be OK financially. But when unworn BLRO is listed at almost double retail, I will definitely not pay that. Either I'm getting one at MSRP or not getting one at all.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 06:45 AM   #26
Exceptional
Banned

I hear you OP, I have had similiar experiences.
Exceptional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 06:47 AM   #27
Exceptional
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
Or, how about we stop buying watches at grey prices. I get those people who want to pay 1k over on those pieces on which otherwise they'd have to wait. I honestly do. For example, if a BLRO was selling for 1k over grey, MSRP used or a wait list of about a year at an AD, I see how it'd make sense to enjoy having a new watch for a year longer by paying that 1k extra now. Also, nobody knows, prices can go up any point (unlikely now after COVID but still) so paying 1k extra might even be OK financially. But when unworn BLRO is listed at almost double retail, I will definitely not pay that. Either I'm getting one at MSRP or not getting one at all.
I agree! A £1-2k premium was understandable, but double the retail is crazy.
Exceptional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 06:47 AM   #28
BigTasty
"TRF" Member

Just find the whole idea of being "worthy" enough to have your money accepted in exchange for goods scummy. My money's as good as somebody else's, yet I may not be elite enough to be "accepted" to buy a product you distribute? Imagine going into Argos and the girl behind the till says " I'm sorry you're not allowed to order that"? There would be uproar. So, we have a choice. We can either say " I don't like how this company does business" and walk away, we don't HAVE to buy their product. Or go and find somewhere that will take our money. Most likely more of it. Unfortunately we don't have a right to own a Rolex, it's our choice. I decided that I wanted my watch enough to pay more money than retail. That was my choice ( well the wife's - she got it for me!). I can only hope the the AD that turned me away goes bust! They won't. But I can hope.
BigTasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 06:47 AM   #29
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I don’t think there’s any need to “out” anyone. Just take your business elsewhere
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 06:48 AM   #30
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon19

I'm much to impatient to wait for an AD to get what I need.

I just love our trusted sellers and TRF for having the best watch forum for buying...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorized dealers , corrupt , gray , premium , waiting list