The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 May 2020, 08:00 AM   #1
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Has Rolex used this time to re-think it’s 2020 releases?

This is a question I’ve been pondering over the last month or so since shut-down.

Considering the shift in landscape that’s taken place over the last couple of months, have Rolex used this time off to maybe hold back on a release they would have launched this year, or even propose something new that may not have been on their original intended release prior to the pandemic?

This could be something as simple as offering the CHNR on a jubilee where prior to this it wasn’t a possibility for example. Or maybe deciding to release a SS Day Date?

I’m not talking a complete reference from the ground up that didn’t even exist 2 months ago, but maybe offerings on things they already produce that could easily be integrated into existed tooling and production.

This maybe the time to make those tweaks they know we’ve all been asking for that previously they may never have considered, but now would make good marketing sense with a potential drop in sales over the coming months and years.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 08:03 AM   #2
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I don’t think they’ve rethought the release. I’d venture a guess that they have the next 3-5 years planned out in terms of new watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 09:17 AM   #3
raretime
Banned

Why would they have a rethink when they have everything planned out as usual and it is perfectly working for them{my view from this side}, and I don't even think that they are among the hard hit companies since i believe that a lot of people are buying more watches now.
raretime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 09:32 AM   #4
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

Seems unlikely they will change the scope of their future plans, seems likely they will change the schedule of their future plans.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 09:47 AM   #5
shirtguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub-c Date
Rolex will.never release a ss day date
shirtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 09:59 AM   #6
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I'm not in manufacturing. I've never been in manufacturing. I don't think I have ever been to a factory that makes things. But my educated guess is, to make something as high-precision as a Rolex would take years of planning and millions of dollars of retooling machines/new techniques and technologies that they would reach a "no turning back now point". I also don't think for a moment that they could just whip out a new model in a few weeks for all the same reasons I mentioned.

TLDR version:

The path for Rolex 2020 was set years ago, it has been delayed by Covid, but not stopped.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 10:04 AM   #7
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Nope. Delayed, but not rethought.
Old 18 May 2020, 12:26 PM   #8
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Has Rolex used this time to re-think it’s 2020 releases?

It doesn’t seem their strategy is to be ‘nimble’ and make changes based on customers’ requests.

Don’t think that will change now, because of Covid-19.

As mentioned above, their plans for the next years have already been made over the past years based on their internal R&D, design, materials, operations etc. I don’t believe customer requests fit into their business model (probably a good thing...).

Also, a Stainless Day Date is not going to happen in my opinion.

The Day Date is the pinnacle of achievement and is called the President’s watch, available in White Gold, Yellow Gold, Rose Gold and Platinum. To now go and launch a Stainless Steel version would take away the entire ‘ultimate sense of achievement’ that was built up so carefully over the past 65 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 01:12 PM   #9
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Why would they retool in any way? They will make what they make when they make them; just delayed a bit this time round.
Old 18 May 2020, 01:42 PM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yess View Post
I'm not in manufacturing. I've never been in manufacturing. I don't think I have ever been to a factory that makes things. But my educated guess is, to make something as high-precision as a Rolex would take years of planning and millions of dollars of retooling machines/new techniques and technologies that they would reach a "no turning back now point". I also don't think for a moment that they could just whip out a new model in a few weeks for all the same reasons I mentioned.

TLDR version:

The path for Rolex 2020 was set years ago, it has been delayed by Covid, but not stopped.

IMHO not such a long runway for 2020.

I do agree if they were bringing out a totally new model.

They didn’t have a new model to roll out methinks. 2020 is all about tweaks.

Perhaps finally adding the 3235 to the Sub & MG.

Add some new color dials to some models.

Switch to maxi case on some models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote