The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2020, 08:13 PM   #1
andrea_ssss
"TRF" Member

Rolex 16610 - Winding question

Hello all,

Hope that everyone is doing good even in these complicated times.

I've owned a 16610 for a couple of years now and this is actually the first time I'm not wearing it daily. So I find myself winding it rarely. But now that we are confined, the movement stops and it is completely normal.

I'm asking myself whether I should wind it every now and then, once a week, for example, or not wind it at all and give it a rest until this chaos ends and I'm able to wear it again.

My second question is a little bit more technical. When I wind it, should I stop winding it when the movement starts again, or until I hear the teeth of the watch?

Take care,

Andrea
andrea_ssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 08:21 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_ssss View Post
Hello all,

Hope that everyone is doing good even in these complicated times.

I've owned a 16610 for a couple of years now and this is actually the first time I'm not wearing it daily. So I find myself winding it rarely. But now that we are confined, the movement stops and it is completely normal.

I'm asking myself whether I should wind it every now and then, once a week, for example, or not wind it at all and give it a rest until this chaos ends and I'm able to wear it again.

My second question is a little bit more technical. When I wind it, should I stop winding it when the movement starts again, or until I hear the teeth of the watch?

Take care,

Andrea
You can manually wind as much as you want and you cannot over-wind it, when mainspring is fully wound up it just slips in the spring-barrel just like it would do on the wrist.If stored for longer that say a month just a small wind just to start the movement will be fine,but even when wound might need a gentle swirl to start it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 11:06 PM   #3
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Give it about 30-40 turns to get it stated and than put it on the wrist and enjoy. If it goes a long time without being worn, it’s always been my practice to wind it once monthly at the same 30-40 turns to keep things moving a bit.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 04:01 AM   #4
andrea_ssss
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your help!
andrea_ssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 04:29 AM   #5
asuen435
"TRF" Member

Hi, I have 16610 Sub as well and just had it serviced. I have a question related to manual winding: If my watch has completely stopped, it will takes about 30+ winds before the watch will start moving again, is this normal?

Since I only learned that you could manually wind an automatic watch just recently after my Sub broke, so I have no reference as to how it’s suppose to behave, and my Omega Seamaster only took 5 winds to start going again. Thanks in advance for any help!
asuen435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 05:42 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuen435 View Post
Hi, I have 16610 Sub as well and just had it serviced. I have a question related to manual winding: If my watch has completely stopped, it will takes about 30+ winds before the watch will start moving again, is this normal?

Since I only learned that you could manually wind an automatic watch just recently after my Sub broke, so I have no reference as to how it’s suppose to behave, and my Omega Seamaster only took 5 winds to start going again. Thanks in advance for any help!
Read post 2

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 18 May 2020, 06:54 PM   #7
18078pres
"TRF" Member

I never ever wind my autos to start them. I always move the watch head in small circles to get them going then set the timeand date then strap them on. . Have done this for last 24 years. Personally I think thats how it should be done. History shows Rolex wanted a automatic self winding watch to preserve the crown gaskets from wearing out when they were manual winders to get them wr.
18078pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 07:29 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18078pres View Post
I never ever wind my autos to start them. I always move the watch head in small circles to get them going then set the timeand date then strap them on. . Have done this for last 24 years. Personally I think thats how it should be done. History shows Rolex wanted a automatic self winding watch to preserve the crown gaskets from wearing out when they were manual winders to get them wr.
By your own statement yes thousands of manual wind Rolex got wound up daily for decades without any problems.And Rolex has a round thing on one side of the case called a winding crown,and its only purpose to manually wind, and set the date and hands.And even when there were manual wind Rolex oyster watches, most had the same water resistance as today's automatic models like say the DJ range.The correct way to start a stopped watch is to manually wind with the winding crown,even when worn it will do no harm whatsoever to manually wind once a week or more, to keep mainspring at peak power-reserve especially if not very active.This crown wearing gaskets stuff is nothing more than a internet myth.At normal routine service which every Rolex should do,things like crown tubes gaskets are always replaced as part of service, likewise for the winding crowns as they are simply disposable service items.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club