The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2019, 08:40 AM   #61
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

If you feel that enraged about your retail experience, you should tell the whole world not just this forum. Do a Google review or a Trip advisor write up. The store has a lot more to lose when their tactics are made public. Afterall, would your non Rolex friends think this is an acceptable way to do business? I think we as a community have to stand up for ourselves a lot more. Name and shame.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:41 AM   #62
Jacentito
"TRF" Member

this is totally ridiculous esp given the commonality of Rolex in the wild. But they would not do it if we, the buying public, didnt take them up on it. Are there any other parallels in history or currently existing that are similar? The only thing I can think of is how auto dealers are treated by the factory - if you want to sell the hot model, you got to take a couple of the dogs and put them on the lot.
Jacentito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:47 AM   #63
Sosa_DOS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Ridiculous indeed. But great terms in current market. I would take it with a Tudor on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sosa_DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:58 AM   #64
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I would rather do that than pay a premium for the same watch.

I would simply pick out some earrings or pearls for the wife and save them until Christmas/birthday. Probably something that I would buy anyway.
Old 18 June 2019, 08:59 AM   #65
mml4
"TRF" Member

I value my privilege of posting on this site too much to say what is really on my mind with regard to the folks encouraging the OP to agree to this Dealer's terms.
In addition Rolex could put a stop to this by simply removing AD status from this organization with the proviso that the situation be verified first.The word would get out very quickly! Please spare me the nonsense that these are independent businesses and can do what they want. Rolex has taken dealerships away for far less as we have seen in the past few months.
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 09:33 AM   #66
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
OP seems to be new to the watch game? that being said, I would pay extra to get a sub.
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 09:56 AM   #67
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Only $2K; Cool Go for it!! It's less that the Grays are asking for new ones and you can pick out something else to boot.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:11 AM   #68
SilverJackHammer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex green Sub
I just bought a Hulk from Ben Bridge last week. They said they get 2 inquiries a day for a Sub. They hadn’t seen a Sub in green in 2 years. When this one came in the manager said all the sales people had customers they wanted to sell a Sub to. 3 Ben Bridge sales people recommended me. I was told they went through their records and they determined that I was their best customer so I got the call. Now I’m wearing my Hulk. If I’d have turned it down it would have gone to someone else. Over the past few years I have been blessed with the ability to buy my wife some jewelry she wanted. It would appear those previous purchases got me into a Hulk. I got the hint that if I’d turn this Sub for a profit on the grey market I’d never get another call if I ever wanted another hard to get Rolex.
SilverJackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:21 AM   #69
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I would have said fine and bought 2k worth of gold chain. I could then flip it for spot and lose only 1k.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:34 AM   #70
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I'm not sure if you are describing it correctly, but to me it sounds like you are new customer asking for a product everyone seems to want these days. My interpretation of that "extra $2K" is in additional purchases not $2K above MSRP. You are getting something out it.

I hardly call that bundling. If their policy is to reserve hotter SS models for existing clients only, frankly the sales probably did you a favour and told you the requirements to qualify as an existing customer.

I get it, we as consumers would just like to walk in and buy the item we want when we want... however, when there is simply is no supply, the AD has to do some sort of filtering (whether we like their method or not). I assume they weren't rude about it and was pretty upfront of their policy. No bait and switch tactic...? If you don't like their method, just move on.

I have to say some individuals equally have a bit an ego walking in thinking they have some cash to spend and they should be given priority.Your description and post suggests that attitude.

EDIT: If you visit an AD here, all SS professional models not named Daytona/GMT (except YM2, AK, and maybe the Explorer 1) is a wait-list for existing customers only. To be an existing customer, you will quickly find out your are spending more than $2K on something else. The other two, use your imagination on the spending requirements. Everyone and their uncle wants a SS professional Rolex.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:47 AM   #71
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
2k doesn’t sound half bad! I’d do it!
Old 18 June 2019, 10:47 AM   #72
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately this is the new norm at some AD's. I was invited to a Rolex event at an AD in town and they were bundling everything with jewellery, if you bought a certain $50k necklace you were 'allowed' to buy a ceramic Daytona at retail (plus tax lol)
denmanproject is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:48 AM   #73
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
They could pound sand.

I would pay $4K over list to a gray dealer rather than being extorted by the AD.

You will get extorted either way. It’s just a matter of who you prefer to be extorted by.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:48 AM   #74
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry98vert View Post
I went into a Ben Bridge,authorized rolex dealer, in Torrance CA. Inquired about a Submariner, the sales lady asked if I ever bought anything at there store. I said no thinking like what does that matter, she said that I can be put on a wait list but since I am not a so called Ben Bridge shopper I would need to purchase an extra $2000 on top of the watch.

I am was thinking to myself sure I am going to buy a $9000 watch and pay another $2000 in another product, not going to happen. Really if I could call the owner and tell that person what was said I would love to hear the reaction of the owner.
Who do you think directed the sales person to say such a thing!?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:51 AM   #75
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
You will get extorted either way. It’s just a matter of who you prefer to be extorted by.
I get what you're saying, but many of the gray dealers buy these watches at premiums from flippers that are take advantage of ADs.

When you add in the work done, time taken and risk of running an online luxury watch business, they're really not extorting anyone.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:55 AM   #76
Jerry98vert
"TRF" Member

i just was asking about a sub that is all.
Jerry98vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 11:01 AM   #77
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
It is probably the owner's policy. I inquired about "the list" at an AD near Charleston and was told I had to spend at least $500 to get my name on the imaginary list....I laughed and walked out of course.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:02 PM   #78
Mwilsey103
Banned

Watch: DJ41/BB58
It’s criminal. I think they call it extortion. I walked in to the Ben Bridge in Minneapolis at the Mall of America and turned down a Sub no date sitting in the display case. Wanted a Sub date. 1 month later returned to the same store and picked up my Sub date that just arrived at the store 1 hour earlier. When it’s meant to be, it will happen
Mwilsey103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:05 PM   #79
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
Tell them to shove that advice, and that you'll remember their antics when the market downturn occurs.
Finally someone responds with the correct answer.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:15 PM   #80
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Go for it, or go grey
As they say in Thailand... Same same

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:22 PM   #81
Nurseford25
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega’s/Sub
This is how the game is played now. I bought my wife a necklace and two days later my sub was available. I wasn’t told I had to do this but I was well aware of these types of bundles and hey my wife won and so did I.
Nurseford25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:42 PM   #82
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry98vert View Post
I went into a Ben Bridge,authorized rolex dealer, in Torrance CA. Inquired about a Submariner, the sales lady asked if I ever bought anything at there store. I said no thinking like what does that matter, she said that I can be put on a wait list but since I am not a so called Ben Bridge shopper I would need to purchase an extra $2000 on top of the watch.

I am was thinking to myself sure I am going to buy a $9000 watch and pay another $2000 in another product, not going to happen. Really if I could call the owner and tell that person what was said I would love to hear the reaction of the owner.
Unfortunately, you've decided to buy a Rolex Submariner when everybody else and their mother wants to buy one. Unless you get very lucky, you will have a tough time finding one at retail at an authorized dealer. I would bet that if you call to complain to the store owner, it won't make any difference at all in your search. You don't have lots of options.
Old 18 June 2019, 12:47 PM   #83
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJackHammer View Post
I just bought a Hulk from Ben Bridge last week. They said they get 2 inquiries a day for a Sub. They hadn’t seen a Sub in green in 2 years. When this one came in the manager said all the sales people had customers they wanted to sell a Sub to. 3 Ben Bridge sales people recommended me. I was told they went through their records and they determined that I was their best customer so I got the call. Now I’m wearing my Hulk. If I’d have turned it down it would have gone to someone else. Over the past few years I have been blessed with the ability to buy my wife some jewelry she wanted. It would appear those previous purchases got me into a Hulk. I got the hint that if I’d turn this Sub for a profit on the grey market I’d never get another call if I ever wanted another hard to get Rolex.
Haven’t seen a LV in 2 Years...Good One! I would bet $100 they have received more than that and they Where sold to the high rollers.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:50 PM   #84
melrob1
"TRF" Member

All they were saying is you have to have a relationship with them. 2k isn’t anything to buy to start a relationship.
I’m sure Warren Buffet would jump right on the phone with you considering Berkshire owns Ben Bridge.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:53 PM   #85
Pballkm21
"TRF" Member

The audacity.

I think the assumption of "bundling" is there for those who are informed. However, an AD outright stating you need to spend 2k to be considered is appalling.

I would have taken my cell phone out and asked for her to state that again, just for pure enjoyment, not to show anyone....

What a scam!
Pballkm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 01:01 PM   #86
SilverJackHammer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex green Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilsey103 View Post
It’s criminal. I think they call it extortion. I walked in to the Ben Bridge in Minneapolis at the Mall of America and turned down a Sub no date sitting in the display case. Wanted a Sub date. 1 month later returned to the same store and picked up my Sub date that just arrived at the store 1 hour earlier. When it’s meant to be, it will happen
Why are complaining and calling it criminal when you got your Sub? I go into AD’s in several cities all the time (because I like to) and they can’t get Subs to sell to their customers who want them.
SilverJackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 01:14 PM   #87
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Gray dealers pay a premium price, then have operating costs on top of that. Their profit margin is probably no more than an AD’s, possibly less. So I wouldn’t consider a gray purchase as such, and would gladly pay their up charge to stand on principles and prove a point. Once on the wrist, a visit to the AD would occur.

Old 18 June 2019, 11:05 PM   #88
Justingtr
"TRF" Member

Screw that. I was able to walk into my AD and they pulled out a SD43 from the back for me after asking a few questions and my wife trying on a couple datejusts. I paid retail plus state tax.

If I was in your case I'd just wait on it. That extra 2k they want you to spend is a week vacation where you could use the Submariner doing something fun.
Justingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 11:06 PM   #89
iheartrolexx
Banned

ask to buy the daytona for 2k
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 11:31 PM   #90
Syed117
"TRF" Member

If my AD told me I had to spend an extra 2k to get a BLRO, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I get a watch I've been waiting for over a year for and my wife would get some jewelry.

No brainer.