The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 April 2020, 01:26 AM   #1
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Submariner and Submariner Date

I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

In the realm of first world scenarios and to think of something while everything is shutdown, I wanted to pose this question, say you had been waiting a year maybe a little bit more or a little less for a Submariner or Submariner Date from an AD. Now you have gotten the call and they have one available and yours if you want it. Do you do it or wait thinking a new Submariner or Submariner Date is going to be released by Rolex either later this year or at Basel in 2021? For this scenario assumption is you have the money set aside.
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:29 AM   #2
Cool watch
Banned

Grab the one available now.
If anything, the discontinued model becomes a collectors piece at some point.
Cool watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:29 AM   #3
PaulEvansLoafers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
I think it doesn't make sense to wait. If you have the money and have already been waiting 1 year for the call, why forgo the opportunity on the basis of mere speculation.

Also, if you waited 1 year to get the current model, how long do you think the wait will be for the new one if they do release it? You can always sell and upgrade.

Enjoy it while you can!!
PaulEvansLoafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 01:30 AM   #4
sickened1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Yup, I would get it now rather than wait. Life's too short. Who knows what's gonna happen between now and 2021. At least it will put a smile on your face when you wear it...

Also you can flip it later to get a newer one down the road!
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 04:50 AM   #5
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post

In the realm of first world scenarios and to think of something while everything is shutdown, I wanted to pose this question, say you had been waiting a year maybe a little bit more or a little less for a Submariner or Submariner Date from an AD. Now you have gotten the call and they have one available and yours if you want it. Do you do it or wait thinking a new Submariner or Submariner Date is going to be released by Rolex either later this year or at Basel in 2021? For this scenario assumption is you have the money set aside.
Take it I’d say
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 04:54 AM   #6
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

I'd say wait a few more months and you'll get one discounted from an AD.
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 05:35 AM   #7
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Grab it now. Rolex isn’t releasing anything until Basel 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 05:41 AM   #8
The M3 Guy
"TRF" Member

Buy the one they offer, the wait time for new release will be way to long especially if you have waited 1+ year for the current one.
The M3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 05:45 AM   #9
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtralarg View Post
I'd say wait a few more months and you'll get one discounted from an AD.
ADs in the UK won’t be discounting steel subs.
Old 6 April 2020, 05:45 AM   #10
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
Grab it now. Rolex isn’t releasing anything until Basel 21.

I heard end of April 2020 for new releases.....
Old 6 April 2020, 06:04 AM   #11
carl5
Banned

Very much in support
carl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:08 AM   #12
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:

Based on my assumption that the movement is going to be upgraded "soon" (i.e. soon in the context of the pandemic), I'd wait.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:09 AM   #13
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Buy Now! Future uncertain. Enjoy!
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:10 AM   #14
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
ADs in the UK won’t be discounting steel subs.
I'm impressed by your relentless claims that the UK is somehow different and immune to market forces. But your insistence aside - impressive though it is - the UK isn't.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:17 AM   #15
AstroClock
"TRF" Member

Buy now.

If your AD made you wait one year for the current sub (which seems to be generally available from an AD with a bit of patience) my guess is the same AD will make you wait much, much longer for the new “hot” sub. I doubt you’ll be given much credit for that first year. The VIPs will want the new sub and jump in front of you.

So do the math... if the new sub is announced in early 2021, hitting ADs a few months later, but you have to wait 2+ years for an allocation,, you’re now well into 2023. Not worth the wait, if you ask me.
AstroClock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:12 AM   #16
209Wrist
"TRF" Member

I am also waiting for a call from my AD for a Date Sub. I would instantly purchase the watch if they were still open and gave me the call, but that speaks to the fact that I want this specific make and model and am not worried about a future model revision.
209Wrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:29 AM   #17
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

People dont seem to grasp the magnitude of the financial situation that the world is hurtling towards. Watches will not be sought by the masses as an investment any more. This will vastly reduce demand, that will drive down desirability and ultimately price.

The recent - 2/3 years was hype, it's over now. Things will return to where they were, minus a lot more financial stability in the world. If anyone thinks that AD's will be able to play games any more and premiums will be maintained for ss pieces they need to give their head a wobble. The 116500 will be the exception, but it will not fetch double retail, it will sell at greys for approx +50% mrsp, this means it'll attract approx +30% mrsp for anyone wanting to sell one to a grey.
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:30 AM   #18
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Buy it. Procrastination is the thief of time.
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:32 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d buy it on its own merit regardless of what may or may not be released in the future
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:47 AM   #20
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtralarg View Post
People dont seem to grasp the magnitude of the financial situation that the world is hurtling towards. Watches will not be sought by the masses as an investment any more. This will vastly reduce demand, that will drive down desirability and ultimately price.

The recent - 2/3 years was hype, it's over now. Things will return to where they were, minus a lot more financial stability in the world. If anyone thinks that AD's will be able to play games any more and premiums will be maintained for ss pieces they need to give their head a wobble. The 116500 will be the exception, but it will not fetch double retail, it will sell at greys for approx +50% mrsp, this means it'll attract approx +30% mrsp for anyone wanting to sell one to a grey.
Does this mean that AD’s could start offering discounts?
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:25 AM   #21
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

2 chickens in a bucket.

Buy, buy, buy.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:34 AM   #22
Billfish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date, Panda
Hard to change perfection! Buy
Billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:52 PM   #23
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I’d get it, why not...bird in hand...
Old 6 April 2020, 05:04 PM   #24
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I'd buy it, wear it, love it... and use the next two to three years to save and wait for the wait list to catch up to my name on the new models!
Surely if a watch gets discontinued, every one at the head of the wait list for that model would get transitioned to the new model + all the high rollers and big spenders that already have the old model jump the que and get the new model in front of you also?!
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 05:11 PM   #25
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigerBelair View Post
I'm impressed by your relentless claims that the UK is somehow different and immune to market forces. But your insistence aside - impressive though it is - the UK isn't.
That’s my opinion and prediction. I appreciate others have a different take and I respect that completely.

I’ve been buying Rolex for 20 years and have seen the market at discounting and non discounting phases,

However I believe now Rolex have worked so hard to create a “no discount” brand in the UK (especially on SS sport models) that I just don’t see things getting to a stage when UK ADs need to discount them (steel subs/GMTs). I think it will be relaxed on PM models that may qualify for a 5% or so discount. I do see even more ADs losing their agencies and there to be even fewer agencies left in the UK...I also see the independent ADs slowly disappearing to make way for the boutiques.

Could I be wrong? Yes absolutely, but it’s just my feeling. I’m close to the market so if I start hearing of discounted steel subs via ADs I’ll happily report it and say I was wrong
Old 17 May 2020, 07:06 PM   #26
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Submariner and Submariner Date

But now. Even if the sub gets a new movement and redesign I imagine It will hit the PM models for the first year then trickle down to the SS models. So you are looking at an extended wait.

I’ve owned a few 32xx moments and I didn’t like the rotor noise. I prefer the older tried and true movement. It’s also easier to do maintenance on as well.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 07:27 PM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Look in the real word if they make any changes to the sub it will be purely cosmetic even if they change the movement to the 32 series.At the moment quite a few problems with the 32 series, so give me the 31 movement any day.The 3135 is a well proven movement in reliability and accuracy even with the 48 hour power-reserve which is perfectly adequate,afraid newer is not always better.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 10:06 PM   #28
Jimmy 1665
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665/16610/114060
Get one now. Prices inevitably go up.
Jimmy 1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 05:26 AM   #29
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Buy it now!
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 08:21 AM   #30
RFBHD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona116518GMTLN
I haven't see any subs displayed in an ADs case in.... hell i cant remember!!! Buy it!!!!! I found one the beginning of March right before the shut down.. snowbirding in SWFL after calling my SP on a whim . It was in the safe.. picked it up the next day

Last edited by RFBHD; 18 May 2020 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: comment
RFBHD is offline   Reply With Quote