The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2020, 04:52 AM   #1
LebDCI
"TRF" Member

Advice on my broken 126600 50th

Hi guys,

Wish my first post here was under better circumstances.

I bought a Sea Dweller 126600 50th a year ago. I first noticed about 2 months ago that it stopped ticking while it was on my wrist (I was playing a poker tournament so I put it down to me being inactive and not moving my arm much although I did think it was strange, I've owned various mechanical watches of 'lesser' brands and this has never happened). It has happened a few more times since but has been basically reliable otherwise as you'd expect. Fast forward to today and the movement has completely given up. It doesn't wind at all, either manually by winding the stem or by movement.

Spoke to someone who knows more about watches than me and he said the only thing he could possibly think of is that I somehow got it wet without the crown being fully screwed down and the movement has rusted, but I'm so anal about care for my watches I just can't see this as a possibility.

For the record this is my second Rolex, I've owned a two-tone sub since 2017 and it is as reliable and perfect as the day I bought it so I know how the 126600 should be performing and I know to always screw the crown down etc.

My question(s) are (other than WTF I should do with this lovely non functional desk ornament I now own) has anyone ever heard of a new Rolex movement just completely breaking? Can it happen through dropping the watch or as the guy suggested getting it wet with the crown unsecured? Will this be covered under warrantee? What am I looking at cost wise for a new movement if Rolex determine that it isn't a manufacturing defect? Does this effect the value of the watch if it's had a replacement movement? I've heard of some Rolex service center horror stories.

Annoyingly the UK is in lockdown so I can't take it to an AD or Rolex for an indeterminate amount of time, so I'm here on Reddit. Any insight would be greatly appreciated and help put my mind at rest as I can't physically take the watch to any experts.

Forgive all the questions. I've just woken up and my watch is a brick and I'm sort of at my wits end.

<Tried to post a link to some pics but can't as I don't have enough points yet> - The 126600 during a happier time and with my sub.
LebDCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 06:53 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I would say, no, it didn't get wet and rust; simply leaving the crown unscrewed will not let anything inside the watch.

Sounds more like an actual physical malfunction, which happens on occasion. Likely it will be covered by your warranty if you have not knocked it about.
Old 13 May 2020, 07:00 AM   #3
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Are you the first owner?

Could it have suffered misadventure while outside of your supervision?

Did you buy it from an authorized or reliable source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 07:16 AM   #4
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I can attest leaving the crown open even with water entry will not stop it from functioning. I recall when my father left his 16750 crown open and went swimming. Being a different crown type it did let water in and completely submerged the movement. Eventually after days of letting it drain and vent the humidity out it still ran. Kept terrible time, something like +\- a minute a day, but didn’t stop outright. Obviously they are different movements, but the mechanics are very similar.

My money is on just some sort of mechanical defect.
Old 17 May 2020, 10:25 PM   #5
LebDCI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Are you the first owner?

Could it have suffered misadventure while outside of your supervision?

Did you buy it from an authorized or reliable source?

First owner, bought from a dealer new with stickers still on, getting one at retail from an AD was going to be impossible so I had to go grey market.
LebDCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 03:06 AM   #6
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
No need to worry. Your watch will be repaired under warranty.
As per water and rust, that won’t happen unless you dived with it to 1000 meters bellow with the crown unscrewed.
No need to worry.

Old 18 May 2020, 03:21 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebDCI View Post
Hi guys,

Wish my first post here was under better circumstances.

I bought a Sea Dweller 126600 50th a year ago. I first noticed about 2 months ago that it stopped ticking while it was on my wrist (I was playing a poker tournament so I put it down to me being inactive and not moving my arm much although I did think it was strange, I've owned various mechanical watches of 'lesser' brands and this has never happened). It has happened a few more times since but has been basically reliable otherwise as you'd expect. Fast forward to today and the movement has completely given up. It doesn't wind at all, either manually by winding the stem or by movement.

Spoke to someone who knows more about watches than me and he said the only thing he could possibly think of is that I somehow got it wet without the crown being fully screwed down and the movement has rusted, but I'm so anal about care for my watches I just can't see this as a possibility.

For the record this is my second Rolex, I've owned a two-tone sub since 2017 and it is as reliable and perfect as the day I bought it so I know how the 126600 should be performing and I know to always screw the crown down etc.

My question(s) are (other than WTF I should do with this lovely non functional desk ornament I now own) has anyone ever heard of a new Rolex movement just completely breaking? Can it happen through dropping the watch or as the guy suggested getting it wet with the crown unsecured? Will this be covered under warrantee? What am I looking at cost wise for a new movement if Rolex determine that it isn't a manufacturing defect? Does this effect the value of the watch if it's had a replacement movement? I've heard of some Rolex service center horror stories.

Annoyingly the UK is in lockdown so I can't take it to an AD or Rolex for an indeterminate amount of time, so I'm here on Reddit. Any insight would be greatly appreciated and help put my mind at rest as I can't physically take the watch to any experts.

Forgive all the questions. I've just woken up and my watch is a brick and I'm sort of at my wits end.

<Tried to post a link to some pics but can't as I don't have enough points yet> - The 126600 during a happier time and with my sub.
I would say its definitely not water related and myself with my SD watch noticed on a dive in the red sea my winding crown was fully unscrewed at 25m underwater.And had no problem with any water in the case,it could be something simple like a screw loose in the winding mechanism or broken mainspring.I suppose you have given your watch a full manual wind 40 full crown turns clockwise only,even after a wind some need a gentle shake to statrt.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 03:55 AM   #8
Mifune
Banned

I don't think there is such a thing as 'completely breaking' with Rolex... there is NOT one part on that watch that can not be repaired or replaced. sometimes things happen... a rooted rotor, a broken hair spring, debris internally... but it all can be fixed.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 03:58 AM   #9
Abmatt2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
... but it all can be fixed.

At a cost!
Abmatt2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 03:59 AM   #10
Mifune
Banned

indeed... unless its under warranty
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 09:13 AM   #11
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
You really need to consult your preferred dealer.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 10:45 AM   #12
sp006
"TRF" Member

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of issues with 3235. Always weary of being first model to roll out a new movement.

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 01:23 PM   #13
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebDCI View Post
...It doesn't wind at all, either manually by winding the stem or by movement.

I just quoted the salient part to share an idea.

Based on your description of the earlier issue, and this latest symptom, sounds like the mainspring has played a role here. Mainspring has slipped its connection to the arbor is my first thought.

Second thought is your friend needs more training...

Either way, welcome to the forum and let us know what the problem was once you get it sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 01:26 PM   #14
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of issues with 3235. Always weary of being first model to roll out a new movement.

The OP’s watch wasn’t the first model to get the 3235. In 2015 it was introduced in the Pearlmaster 39, then the DJ family before getting into the SD, DSSD, and YM’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 01:34 PM   #15
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
If its a paper weight then how much is it worth because I will take it at average paper weight values. All kidding aside, I have heard, of this movement stopping for no explainable reason. I own one and it keeps perfect time. You just happen to have one that needs warranty work, and thnk goodness for the warranty. send it in, and get it fixed and it will be amazing once again...