The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 15 May 2020, 09:52 PM   #31
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
So a local AD (have never bought from them but have had a few watches sized and polished there over the years) is reopening now that the Wisconsin Supreme Court struck down the stay at home ban enacted by our governor.

I need to get my 126715CHNR sized that I just got and am going to do that there. I'm pretty sure they are going to ask why I didn't buy such a piece from them. I'm going to tell them that until they offer me a good SS piece at MSRP that I won't be buying PM models (which have much higher margins for dealers) from them. Basically, the reverse of their "buy a ton of stuff and then maybe we will sell you a SS at MSRP." Probably should wait to say that until AFTER they have sized the watch.

I'm curious to see what they say.....or if they can suddenly come up with a Hulk.
I love it and say go for it.

This is a nice change to all the regular “my AD beats me cos they love me” threads around here, which drive me bonkers. Not sure why people feel the need to grovel to their ADs so they may be allowed to spend their hard earned money. Does a “hot SS piece” really mean that much...

Go for it OP

I remember when ADs used to be the ones most concerned about building customer relationships.
Old 15 May 2020, 09:53 PM   #32
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

It seems like you are doing the ADs work for them - ie offering to bundle before they suggest it. Depending on the AD and their clients though, buying one PM at MSRP may not be enough to get a hot SS. I think you may be overestimating the corona effect on the prof SS Rolex market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 15 May 2020, 10:16 PM   #33
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
Heck yeah. Let us know what they say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 May 2020, 10:40 PM   #34
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So a local AD (have never bought from them but have had a few watches sized and polished there over the years) is reopening now that the Wisconsin Supreme Court struck down the stay at home ban enacted by our governor.

I need to get my 126715CHNR sized that I just got and am going to do that there. I'm pretty sure they are going to ask why I didn't buy such a piece from them. I'm going to tell them that until they offer me a good SS piece at MSRP that I won't be buying PM models (which have much higher margins for dealers) from them. Basically, the reverse of their "buy a ton of stuff and then maybe we will sell you a SS at MSRP." Probably should wait to say that until AFTER they have sized the watch.

I'm curious to see what they say.....or if they can suddenly come up with a Hulk.
It’s not just about money....the sooner people realise this the better....id put more effort into conveying that your an avid watch enthusiast and a decent person to boot....this will go a lot further than acting like an entitled bell end.....trust me i used to be an AD and I know who id rather deal with .
Old 15 May 2020, 10:42 PM   #35
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Going to try some reverse psychology on AD next week....

He’s an alternative experience you should expect:

AD: looking for something?
You: yea I need my clasp adjusted on my new Rolex that I bought elsewhere. Btw is there anything you want to ask me?
AD: not really.

Old 15 May 2020, 11:00 PM   #36
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
So let me get this right - you are going to take your USED CHNR into an AD and use that watch which you would never have purchased new from them anyway to try to get them to give you a new SS piece.

I get it - you saved a good chunk of change by buying it pre-owned - nothing wrong with that at all but why go throw it in their face.

Really not seeing the point here...

Also, you don't seem to adverse to the market being what it is as you just had your 126711 for sale for over original MSRP.

The market is the market - nothing wrong with them bundling pieces together for people willing to do it. If you owned the AD you may very well do the same.

Sorry in advance not trying to be combative or argumentative here but most of us have all benefited at some point in time from the market being what it is -
Old 15 May 2020, 11:50 PM   #37
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
That sounds quite high, I've been presented with £20 for a Rolex, altho Wempe did try to charge me £50 to put my AP on a new strap.

Ill look for the receipt for you guys
Old 15 May 2020, 11:51 PM   #38
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
The two local ADs here dont charge me for resizing.

Even for watches i didnt buy from them. Even other brands (including strap change).

I’ll take a pic of the receipt here in a bit, if I find it

Old 15 May 2020, 11:53 PM   #39
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I love it and say go for it.

This is a nice change to all the regular “my AD beats me cos they love me” threads around here, which drive me bonkers. Not sure why people feel the need to grovel to their ADs so they may be allowed to spend their hard earned money. Does a “hot SS piece” really mean that much...

Go for it OP

I remember when ADs used to be the ones most concerned about building customer relationships.

I agree 100%

The OP wants to try something different, let’s let him try it.

It’s not like he’s trying to marry the AD.

If they don’t want his business, he can leave and go to someone else.

(Wait, i guess you can do that with love too lol)
Old 16 May 2020, 12:16 AM   #40
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
He’s an alternative experience you should expect:

AD: looking for something?
You: yea I need my clasp adjusted on my new Rolex that I bought elsewhere. Btw is there anything you want to ask me?
AD: not really.

You forgot to mention the OP's rolled-up sleeves . . . .
Old 16 May 2020, 01:12 AM   #41
schoolboy
Banned

Dammit i don’t have the receipt for the watch sizing at the AD lol

I have everything except that.
Old 16 May 2020, 01:23 AM   #42
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

It’s not a bad idea, but I’d recommend taking a bit of a softer approach. Maybe something like:

Ad: why didn’t you purchase from us
OP: because every time I ask you for a watch I get the run around and it’s not provided so I didn’t bother asking
AD what other watches are you looking for?
OP: .....

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 16 May 2020, 01:37 AM   #43
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
It’s not a bad idea, but I’d recommend taking a bit of a softer approach. Maybe something like:

Ad: why didn’t you purchase from us
OP: because every time I ask you for a watch I get the run around and it’s not provided so I didn’t bother asking
AD what other watches are you looking for?
OP: .....

That sounds good too. I mean if the guy is showing up with a PM watch, this might be the guy that every SA wants to work with
Old 16 May 2020, 01:45 AM   #44
schoolboy
Banned

I just texted the sales lady at the AD. She says they charge $35 to resize.

Now I am pissed.

Either I have really bad memory, or she screwed me the last time I went.

I wish I had saved the receipt so I can go talk to her manager if indeed she charged me $80 last time.
Old 16 May 2020, 01:46 AM   #45
Abmatt2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
They’ve charged me before. I think it was $80 or $90.

Gave me a receipt and everything. Didn’t seem fishy at all.
Seriously? To remove/add some links. That’s a rip off. And I thought the uk was expensive.
Old 16 May 2020, 02:01 AM   #46
Xenon
Banned

Those types of tactics stopped working about 10 years ago. I know because plenty of high end car dealerships have told me to my face. An AD selling Rolex has the same mentality.
Old 16 May 2020, 02:33 AM   #47
timemaestro
Banned

You should give us feedback of the AD's reaction. But you might charged for sizing their watch.
Old 16 May 2020, 03:09 AM   #48
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abmatt2002 View Post
Seriously? To remove/add some links. That’s a rip off. And I thought the uk was expensive.

I don’t know to be honest. I am 90% sure it was up there because my thoughts were “what the heck? To size a watch?”

But I can’t find the receipt.

And I texted the SA that charged me, and she says it’s $35.

But then again I ordered a link from her last week, so I wonder if she’s being nicer to me for bringing her business again.

I bought a bluesy from her two years ago.

Then I sold it.

I asked her for a rhodium Roman dial Datejust, she said she couldn’t order unless I paid for it in full with no refunds

So I bought it at another AD

Maybe she’s mad at me

But I don’t care.
Old 16 May 2020, 04:15 AM   #49
mjr24
Banned

Yeah, some of you are completely missing the point.

First, no, I don't live in downtown NY.....I doubt they sell many high-end models. Thus, I'm pretty sure they are going to ask or wonder how I bought a PM GMT because there are maybe 2 dealers around here and I doubt they seem them often.....especially ones they don't sell.

I don't want to buy another PM piece. However, I am sure they are going to ask why I didn't buy from them just as a joking comment. I'll simply tell them, again, in a lighter tone, that I was on a list there and never was called.....and I really only buy PM pieces from dealers who have sold to me.

Pretty straightforward. It's zero off my back if they can't produce a Hulk. They already didn't get my money and I still have my watch....so I don't think I am the one losing out here.
Old 16 May 2020, 05:00 AM   #50
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:

First, no, I don't live in downtown NY.....I doubt they sell many high-end models. Thus, I'm pretty sure they are going to ask or wonder how I bought a PM GMT because there are maybe 2 dealers around here and I doubt they seem them often.....especially ones they don't sell.

I don't want to buy another PM piece. However, I am sure they are going to ask why I didn't buy from them just as a joking comment. I'll simply tell them, again, in a lighter tone, that I was on a list there and never was called.....and I really only buy PM pieces from dealers who have sold to me.

Pretty straightforward. It's zero off my back if they can't produce a Hulk. They already didn't get my money and I still have my watch....so I don't think I am the one losing out here.

Just go for it man. You have my support 100%

If they don’t produce a hulk, so what?

At least you didn’t beg for it like some members here did.

If they charge you to size the watch, $35 maybe $80?

Just pay it, if you can afford the darn watch, you can afford to size it.

I’m tired of reading threads where members are trying to please and prove themselves to an AD

I’m excited for this thread and to see the result

Dare to be different
Old 16 May 2020, 05:07 AM   #51
schoolboy
Banned

OP be “Born to Dare”

Like Tudor lol

Old 16 May 2020, 05:32 AM   #52
watchmaker
TechXpert

I hope you are prepared to put your money where your mouth is on the day and buy a PM watch alongside the steel sports model of your choosing.

ADs deal with customers everyday that talk a big game until it’s time for the wallet to open.

Remember there are plenty of good ADs out there to balance out the bad ones. Just as there are plenty of undesirable customers.
Old 16 May 2020, 05:47 AM   #53
djyolky
Banned

You didn't properly read his post. He has no intentions of buying a PM. He wants to treat the AD like the AD has been treating the general public. It's called turning the tables. I like this thread and support the OP.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2020, 05:53 AM   #54
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
I'm all for you asking. Worst that can happen is they say no.

I just don't see what you're offering them here that's enticing enough for them to bite. You show up with a CHNR (kudos to you for getting that at 10k off btw) and start the conversation. Just the fact alone that you have the funds to purchase a watch like that does not mean they will offer you a Hulk to win you over for future business. If they think you're potentially that kind of VVIP then they'll need to verify it somehow. How? They'll ask what other (higher priced/PM) pieces you're interested in. At that point maybe they'll suggest buy one of those from them and maybe a Hulk will appear alongside it.

Just like members here advise others not to phase a bundle, i.e., agree to buy a PM piece on the verbal promise "you'll get [hot SS model] soon" consider the reverse. Why would they sell you a hot SS model first on the hope you'll be back soon for a bigger PM purchase (especially when you have no purchase history at all with them?).

You're approach here makes me think of the phase "you can't have your cake and eat it too". You went to the secondary market to buy a CHNR at a substantial discount (justifiable). Trying to flash that watch at an AD to get the benefits akin to someone who purchased that watch at retail from them would be "double dipping" on the benefits. You went grey for savings on the big purchase, so you don't get the coveted perks that come with buying that at full price from the AD.

If you saved 10k on the CHNR (assuming it's in like-new condition), why not just go back to the dealer you bought it from and also purchase a Hulk from them? Given the current premium on the Hulk, you'd still end up ahead on a absolute $ basis vs. buying both the CHNR and Hulk at retail from an AD. This assumes both are in "like-new" condition and not contemplating any $ value discount for their condition.
Old 16 May 2020, 05:58 AM   #55
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I’ve already had a chat with my AD and explained, no more purchases until the BLRO turns up, then they get the green light and I will add some more. There’s other brands I’m happy to buy instead. I quite fancy a Globemaster if I’m honest.
Old 16 May 2020, 06:04 AM   #56
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
I'm going to tell them that until they offer me a good SS piece at MSRP that I won't be buying PM models (which have much higher margins for dealers) from them.
So purchase this 18k President today at MSRP and we'll get you a Hulk at MSRP tomorrow.

And you will buy both right then and there?

Yeah right.
Old 16 May 2020, 06:12 AM   #57
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:

With the right approach this could total work. And if they brush you off then you’re in no worse of a position than where you started.
Hope there’s a nice follow up to this!

Old 16 May 2020, 06:25 AM   #58
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
They are cool people at the dealer.....I think they charged me like $20 last time for a sizing but the watchmaker also did a real light polish real quick on a couple surface scratches without me even having to ask.
WHOA! IF anyone polished my watch without first getting permission it could very well turn into their last day of employment. NO I am not good with someone taking it upon themselves do with my watch as THEY please!

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
Old 16 May 2020, 06:42 AM   #59
biscotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
No harm in asking. If you didn't purchase PM from that AD, zero chance you will be offered Hulk from them. Once pandemic is over demand for SS will remain high and expect to pay MSRP. Thinking otherwise is wishful thinking.
Old 16 May 2020, 08:21 AM   #60
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:

I really don’t think they’ll care either. But they may try some reverse psychology on you. They may tell you to take it to wherever you bought it and have them size it for you, funny man. I might if I were them. Bringing attitude into an AD isn’t a good strategy to get on their good list. Good luck
Closed Thread