The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 17 May 2020, 04:52 AM   #91
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj17 View Post
Maybe just buy a screw set and do it yourself rather than jerk people around.

ADs jerk people around all the time.

If you can’t beat em; join em!
Old 17 May 2020, 06:07 AM   #92
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

Customers dick shop staff around all the time. It’s nothing new, and certainly isn’t exclusive to ADs and watch buyers.
Old 17 May 2020, 06:19 AM   #93
dpj17
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

If you can't join em; beat em. Let them die with their games. I mean give me a break, this poor sap doesn't have anything better to do than go into his local AD to have his bracelet changed. Get a life.
Old 17 May 2020, 06:51 AM   #94
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Customers dick shop staff around all the time. It’s nothing new, and certainly isn’t exclusive to ADs and watch buyers.

Yes but customers don’t make ADs beg for things

Customers don’t tell ADs they aren’t important enough to have their business

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion

I am personally just tired of the AD glorification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 May 2020, 07:28 AM   #95
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Ads really don’t need to “earn” your business. This isn’t 1960. They have stuff you either want or don’t and if you do, it’s up to them who gets it. Unless your dropping north of 6 figures a year, you likely don’t matter. Last time i was in my AD one of their regulars was dropping north of 60k. My guy said it happens all the time. Covid or no Covid, they don’t need your money their are far too many people throwing cash at them.

Old 17 May 2020, 07:35 AM   #96
Xenon
Banned

My Doctor for 25 years bought a BLRO at the AD and told me he did not wait more than a few weeks and he regularly drops big $$$ on watches with a simple phone call.
Old 17 May 2020, 07:43 AM   #97
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Ads really don’t need to “earn” your business. This isn’t 1960. They have stuff you either want or don’t and if you do, it’s up to them who gets it. Unless your dropping north of 6 figures a year, you likely don’t matter. Last time i was in my AD one of their regulars was dropping north of 60k. My guy said it happens all the time. Covid or no Covid, they don’t need your money their are far too many people throwing cash at them.

LOL

These “ADs are invincible” posts make me laugh
Old 17 May 2020, 07:53 AM   #98
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
LOL

Ya guys and gals buying 10k+ luxury items are all the sudden going away because of a global pandemic...no. If you think they need you, your not spending enough for anyone to care. Things will certainly slow down for them. But are they slowing down to the point where subs and gmts are sitting in the case, i don’t think so.

Old 17 May 2020, 07:54 AM   #99
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
LOL

It's really pathetic.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 17 May 2020, 08:17 AM   #100
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
My Doctor for 25 years bought a BLRO at the AD and told me he did not wait more than a few weeks and he regularly drops big $$$ on watches with a simple phone call.
Sounds logical
Old 17 May 2020, 08:22 AM   #101
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

They already have clients for those watches, so your theatrics won’t get you on that list.
Old 17 May 2020, 08:34 AM   #102
raretime
Banned

From my angle i believe that they will definitely give no care at all,
I would love to hear about the outcome.
Old 17 May 2020, 08:34 AM   #103
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:

Customers don’t tell ADs they aren’t important enough to have their business

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion

I am personally just tired of the AD glorification

Of course they do...every time a customer asks for ‘the best price’ or a discount for something because ‘I saw it cheaper down the road’ they are making an AD beg for their business (in as much as the opposite dynamic is ever true).

I don’t see much AD glorification on this forum (and rightly so as not every AD deserves it). But I am personally tired of the notion that customers are gods to be pandered to, and they can do no wrong.

Having money to spend doesn’t automatically mean you deserve respect, just as having the desirable models to sell doesn’t make an AD the almighty either. Some people (buyers or sellers) are just asses. The watch market will be a better place if more people focus on not being one.
Old 17 May 2020, 08:50 AM   #104
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
And AD's don't show up unannounced at your home every time they sell a Rolex to a customer at MSRP.

It goes both ways.

Customers demand the AD be impeccably honest, meanwhile customers repeatedly lie through their teeth to get the watch they want at the price they want to pay.

Unfortunately, the world is full of delusional people who like to play monopoly with imaginary "eff you" money.
Old 17 May 2020, 08:56 AM   #105
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Seems like a lot of effort to me

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 17 May 2020, 09:45 AM   #106
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Of course they do...every time a customer asks for ‘the best price’ or a discount for something because ‘I saw it cheaper down the road’ they are making an AD beg for their business (in as much as the opposite dynamic is ever true).

I don’t see much AD glorification on this forum (and rightly so as not every AD deserves it). But I am personally tired of the notion that customers are gods to be pandered to, and they can do no wrong.

Having money to spend doesn’t automatically mean you deserve respect, just as having the desirable models to sell doesn’t make an AD the almighty either. Some people (buyers or sellers) are just asses. The watch market will be a better place if more people focus on not being one.

I agree with that.

Both buyer and seller deserve respect.

Old 17 May 2020, 09:46 AM   #107
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
So a local AD (have never bought from them but have had a few watches sized and polished there over the years) is reopening now that the Wisconsin Supreme Court struck down the stay at home ban enacted by our governor.

I need to get my 126715CHNR sized that I just got and am going to do that there. I'm pretty sure they are going to ask why I didn't buy such a piece from them. I'm going to tell them that until they offer me a good SS piece at MSRP that I won't be buying PM models (which have much higher margins for dealers) from them. Basically, the reverse of their "buy a ton of stuff and then maybe we will sell you a SS at MSRP." Probably should wait to say that until AFTER they have sized the watch.

I'm curious to see what they say.....or if they can suddenly come up with a Hulk.
Roll up in your buddies Ferrari, park directly in front of the door, and maybe they’ll take the bait.

十人十色
Old 17 May 2020, 10:43 AM   #108
Glenmorangie77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Quote:
of course they do...every time a customer asks for ‘the best price’ or a discount for something because ‘i saw it cheaper down the road’ they are making an ad beg for their business (in as much as the opposite dynamic is ever true).

I don’t see much ad glorification on this forum (and rightly so as not every ad deserves it). But i am personally tired of the notion that customers are gods to be pandered to, and they can do no wrong.

Having money to spend doesn’t automatically mean you deserve respect, just as having the desirable models to sell doesn’t make an ad the almighty either. Some people (buyers or sellers) are just asses. The watch market will be a better place if more people focus on not being one.
Amen !!
Old 17 May 2020, 02:52 PM   #109
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebb90 View Post
Got it. You want your cake and eat it too but it’s not ok for businesses you work with to give preference to loyal customers.

I’m totally cool with dealers selling to who they want. However, don’t lie and say I’m on some imaginary list that doesn’t really exist. If you are selling to 20 people who got on the list after me, then don’t say it’s a list. Or don’t say I can have one if I also buy A, B, and C. That’s shady! How shady would it be if a car dealer said he would agree to the price you offered....and then spring on you that you also have to buy a second car if you want that price.

ADs can’t sell for over MSRP, we all know that and they know that. Their loophole is getting someone to buy more or else they won’t get it for MSRP. It’s just a shady loophole they use.
Old 17 May 2020, 02:57 PM   #110
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj17 View Post
Maybe just buy a screw set and do it yourself rather than jerk people around.
Actually yeah I’ve never done a sizing before myself but I’ll go and just make a $38k watch my test dummy. Brilliant idea.
Old 17 May 2020, 03:07 PM   #111
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Ya guys and gals buying 10k+ luxury items are all the sudden going away because of a global pandemic...no. If you think they need you, your not spending enough for anyone to care. Things will certainly slow down for them. But are they slowing down to the point where subs and gmts are sitting in the case, i don’t think so.

And this may be true....and if so, awesome, I don’t wish harm on an AD. Again, I’m not even thinking about this if not for the ridiculous amount of incoming posts on popular models the last month and a half. Hey, most of us have been here for a few years....there has never at any point been as many incomings as since March.

What’s the real story? Who knows. However, I think if we had to bet, we would be inclined to think that dealers did have these in safes. So, no, they may not need my money still....and maybe they do sell an item that is recession proof....but to dig into the safe only after a few weeks is odd behavior then.

They asked me where I got my TT CHNR when I took it in December 2018 to get sized....so I’m pretty sure they will ask again. Quite honestly they would be poor sales people if they didn’t. If I sold a relatively rare and expensive product and someone came into my shop but didn’t buy from me, I’d naturally wonder who the person bought from and why. Most people buy from their local AD geographically.....so I’d be pretty interested if I lost out on basically, what, $14k profit?

I will say I was on a list at another Wisconsin AD and called them maybe a month ago just wondering where I was on the list currently (it was for a Hulk and got on it maybe a year and a half ago). The lady told me with the current situation, they were only selling to people who had given them previous business. Like, that’s cool....but then don’t tell me I was on some sort of list when I wasn’t. I was never told that was a prerequisite to get on their list when they put me on it. Obviously they won’t ever see a dollar of my money.
Old 17 May 2020, 03:20 PM   #112
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
And AD's don't show up unannounced at your home every time they sell a Rolex to a customer at MSRP.

It goes both ways.

Customers demand the AD be impeccably honest, meanwhile customers repeatedly lie through their teeth to get the watch they want at the price they want to pay.

Unfortunately, the world is full of delusional people who like to play monopoly with imaginary "eff you" money.

Woah, what? Customers lie through their teeth to get pieces for the prices they want? No, customers ultimately pay the prices the dealers want (which normally is having to bundle).....or they pay full MSRP for a piece that dealers use to always discount (I think ADs probably always discounted pieces until maybe 4 or 5 years ago). So a customer may lie but the dealer is still getting exactly what they want.
Old 17 May 2020, 04:41 PM   #113
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Actually yeah I’ve never done a sizing before myself but I’ll go and just make a $38k watch my test dummy. Brilliant idea.
You are so obsessed in mentioning the value of the watch....let’s hope the AD’s hand doesn’t slip whilst sizing it, and give it a little “character”.
Old 17 May 2020, 04:45 PM   #114
newenglandpatriot
"TRF" Member

If you do, use the Loctite #222 purple on the screws to prevent them from backing out. Use only the smallest dab on the threads. It is considered the easiest to break the seal with simple hand tools if needed. The last thing you want is having your watch come off when running,swimming in the ocean, or if your arm is resting on an open car window. Yikes!
Old 17 May 2020, 04:48 PM   #115
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

It never ceases to amaze me the ridiculousness people will go through just to get a watch with Rolex on the dial.
Old 17 May 2020, 04:59 PM   #116
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Del
Old 17 May 2020, 05:21 PM   #117
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And this may be true....and if so, awesome, I don’t wish harm on an AD. Again, I’m not even thinking about this if not for the ridiculous amount of incoming posts on popular models the last month and a half. Hey, most of us have been here for a few years....there has never at any point been as many incomings as since March.

What’s the real story? Who knows. However, I think if we had to bet, we would be inclined to think that dealers did have these in safes. So, no, they may not need my money still....and maybe they do sell an item that is recession proof....but to dig into the safe only after a few weeks is odd behavior then.

They asked me where I got my TT CHNR when I took it in December 2018 to get sized....so I’m pretty sure they will ask again. Quite honestly they would be poor sales people if they didn’t. If I sold a relatively rare and expensive product and someone came into my shop but didn’t buy from me, I’d naturally wonder who the person bought from and why. Most people buy from their local AD geographically.....so I’d be pretty interested if I lost out on basically, what, $14k profit?

I will say I was on a list at another Wisconsin AD and called them maybe a month ago just wondering where I was on the list currently (it was for a Hulk and got on it maybe a year and a half ago). The lady told me with the current situation, they were only selling to people who had given them previous business. Like, that’s cool....but then don’t tell me I was on some sort of list when I wasn’t. I was never told that was a prerequisite to get on their list when they put me on it. Obviously they won’t ever see a dollar of my money.
You lost me there. You say you have a USD38k CHNR, and in this post you say it’s a TT CHNR.
Old 17 May 2020, 05:34 PM   #118
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
You lost me there. You say you have a USD38k CHNR, and in this post you say it’s a TT CHNR.
I think he originally had the TT version and has recently "upgraded" to the "full fat" everose gold model
Old 17 May 2020, 05:46 PM   #119
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
You are so obsessed in mentioning the value of the watch....let’s hope the AD’s hand doesn’t slip whilst sizing it, and give it a little “character”.

agreed... have heard some bad sizing stories by AD’s from fellow TRF members. i personally enjoy sizing the bracelet myself

Old 17 May 2020, 05:59 PM   #120
Ihatecheese
Banned

Thought I'd check in on this one again for fun.

Yeh the op is out of their league of where they want to play. Obviously 38k is a lot of cash to the op (and me). But to their AD shop it's Tuesday at 1140-1145 on a slow day.

The pond is a bit too big to try and make a splash.

Whatever the case, I hope they don't scratch during the resizing. It's pretty easy. I do it myself on my cherished watches whatever their cost.
Closed Thread