The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 February 2018, 11:30 PM   #31
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Daytona for me but if you're not wearing yours then go for it.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 11:34 PM   #32
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Sure I might. But the blue dial would not be my choice.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 11:34 PM   #33
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
And yet you own literally two of the most currently hyped watches..
Which means exactly squat. Not clear how I was to understand the connection or lack of with a watch until it's owned. When was the last time you were able to go into an AD and try on both of these. The answer can only be, never. It also adds creds to my opinion. Not to mention I ordered my Sky D before it was hyped.

I'd consider the 116600 and the THBBN ETA in that list so don't sell me short, fwiw.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 11:44 PM   #34
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Which means exactly squat. Not clear how I was to understand the connection or lack of with a watch until it's owned. When was the last time you were able to go into an AD and try on both of these. The answer can only be, never.

I'd consider the 116600 and the THBBN ETA in that list so don't sell me short, fwiw.
Simply pointing out the obvious irony of someone who literally posted that they don’t follow they hype when having two hyped watches one of which they clearly don’t like, ie, diminutive, watch box Dweller, etc. This would confirm that you bought the Daytona based on hype which is ironic since you posted that you don’t follow the hype and only your gut. Btw, Ive tried on both at an AD, granted the Sky Dweller was in TT. Breathe.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 11:45 PM   #35
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not right now. Put the Daytona-C on and wear it for a few weeks as a one and only. See what you think after that. Your SD may come in during that time frame or you may get to were you really like the Daytona-C. If you still have not bonded with the Daytona-C after that, trade away.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 11:51 PM   #36
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

wait and keep both, it's not even a question.

Sent from my F8132 using Tapatalk
mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 12:02 AM   #37
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Simply pointing out the obvious irony of someone who literally posted that they don’t follow they hype when having two hyped watches one of which they clearly don’t like, ie, diminutive, watch box Dweller, etc. This would confirm that you bought the Daytona based on hype which is ironic since you posted that you don’t follow the hype and only your gut. Btw, Ive tried on both at an AD, granted the Sky Dweller was in TT. Breathe.
Like I said it's money in the bank which is sufficient reason to own it for now, imho. I can afford to leave it in the watch box. Many can't and only want watches they'll wear. Given a choice between the two which I believe is the question...well you know the answer. The SkyD was on my list of unobtainable until is came out in Rolesor, not so with the Daytona. The Daytona was originally on my list of "will never owns" but eventually turned into a "quest for ownership" due to its scarcity; it's an experiential accomplishment, fwiw.

Finally I'm judging two watches and you're judging me; I've got to wonder why? Why are you trying to discredit my opinion? Looking for your experience with both.

Old 4 February 2018, 12:03 AM   #38
sachit
"TRF" Member

Keep both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sachit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 12:07 AM   #39
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiren View Post

I am on the waitlist for the SD ... and can afford to keep both ... but getting impatient
Well, if you can afford to keep both, that's a no brainer. Keep the Daytona for sure. Now, if you've fallen out of love with it, that's a different story...
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 12:10 AM   #40
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like I said it's money in the bank which is sufficient reason to own it for now, imho. I can afford to leave it in the watch box. Many can't and only want watches they'll wear. Given a choice between the two which I believe is the question...well you know the answer. The SkyD was on my list of unobtainable until is came out in Rolesor, not so with the Daytona. The Daytona was originally on my list of "will never owns" but eventually turned into a "quest for ownership" due to its scarcity; it's an experiential accomplishment, fwiw.

Finally I'm judging two watches and you're judging me; I've got to wonder why? Why are you trying to discredit my opinion?
Not trying to discredit you, but your initial premise. You came out rather hot in your initial post and implied that those who were recommending the Daytona were simply buying into the hype, whereas you were above it. Both are fine watches that anyone would be lucky to own. I do, however, constantly see threads where members try to exult their favorite by degrading others, ie, watch box dweller, diminutive,etc. Wouldn’t it have been just as easy, and far less inflammatory, to say that I own both and prefer the SD for because x, y and z?
Old 4 February 2018, 12:13 AM   #41
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Keep the SS 'tona for long-term investment, get the SkyD blue for fun (great daily beater!).... AND SD from AD.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 12:13 AM   #42
Athas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,Daytona,P233,PO
No way.
Athas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 12:24 AM   #43
24 nights
Banned

Watch: 43sd +Daytona's
no
24 nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 12:30 AM   #44
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not trying to discredit you, but your initial premise. You came out rather hot in your initial post and implied that those who were recommending the Daytona were simply buying into the hype, whereas you were above it. Both are fine watches that anyone would be lucky to own. I do, however, constantly see threads where members try to exult their favorite by degrading others, ie, watch box dweller, diminutive,etc. Wouldn’t it have been just as easy, and far less inflammatory, to say that I own both and prefer the SD for because x, y and z?
It sits in the watch box; it appears small on the wrist, it doesn't draw my or others eyes unless they're a WIS. If that is less inflammatory then use those words. I thought the earlier was more concise. As I own both the 5C and Sky there's little advantage for me to attack one and build up the other, other than to add a bit of unbiased comment to the discussion. One stands out and the other wears "comfortably" small. Sorry if you found my comments inflammatory.

Old 4 February 2018, 12:36 AM   #45
donut
"TRF" Member

Watch: LN/LV/BLNR
No way. Keep the Daytona ;)
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 12:42 AM   #46
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It sits in the watch box; it appears small on the wrist, it doesn't draw my or others eyes unless they're a WIS. If that is less inflammatory then use those words. I thought the earlier was more concise. As I own both the 5C and Sky there's little advantage for me to attack one and build up the other, other than to add a bit of unbiased comment to the discussion. One stands out and the other wears "comfortably" small. Sorry if you found my comments inflammatory.
Ahh. The non-apology apology. Okay. Really surprised you bought the Daytona given all the negatives you listed above (especially since it doesn’t draw the eyes of others as much?) The power of hype I guess. Anyhoo, moving on.
Old 4 February 2018, 12:42 AM   #47
Starhutch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: PROBLEM
You are going to get a bunch of passionate people for either one on this forum and nothing wrong with that. Do what makes you happy and something you will enjoy for many years to come. Looking at everything through an investment lense can be exhausting and in the end less pleasurable.
Starhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 12:45 AM   #48
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Never! The SD is a beast and wears chunky and to me is very uncomfortable to wear all day. The Daytona is thin and svelte. A true sport watch with ceramic that cleans up easily compared to a fluted bezel that traps all kinds of grit and very difficult to wash out.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 01:04 AM   #49
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
No! Wait it out!
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 01:05 AM   #50
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I’d keep the Daytona for now and put your name on the list for the SkD
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 01:13 AM   #51
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My recommendation is typically to add and not replace / sell... Both are great pieces and I would add a blue SkyDweller to my white DaytonaC given the opportunity. I truly like my DaytonaC and I think it’s a watch that wears well and can do all I need it to do. With that being said, if you truly don’t want the DaytonaC and you don’t need the money, I would sell the DaytonaC to a forum member at a reasonable price.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 01:22 AM   #52
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Yes, I would but only for the blue SD.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 01:24 AM   #53
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
Don’t do it. Get both if affordable.
For sure, at least then once you have both in your possession you can unload one if it gets no wrist time.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 01:28 AM   #54
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
It's really a matter of how much you like both. I find the Daytona diminutive and the SkyD superlative so I'd likely not listen to the hype and follow my gut. Frankly the lack of date on the Daytona makes it a watch box dweller. The Sky Dweller is a wrist dweller.
I was going to say we should have more Haiku type responses, but maybe not after how this played out, poetry always gets everyone going.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 01:31 AM   #55
Tframo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Def keep the Daytona and wait for skydwller if affordable
Tframo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 01:54 AM   #56
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
I prefer the Sky blue, but I also have both.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 01:57 AM   #57
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I think the white DayC is a fantastic piece. But as soon as I read that you have enjoyed it THREE TIMES IN THREE MONTHS, I had my answer.
What this guy said. And I'm not sure I don't like the Speedmaster better than the Daytona... and it costs half as much. Trade and buy the Omega.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 02:04 AM   #58
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I have regretted selling every single one of my SS Daytonas, especially my 4 and 5 digits (been collecting Rolex watches since 1988). So, in light of those 'mistakes', I would not sell my 500C for the SkyD, I would try to have both!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 02:16 AM   #59
kenzembo1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I love my 116500 Daytona. Next to my old “Bond” seamaster (I keep on a perlon strap), it’s probably the most comfortable watch I own. I don’t have a Sky Dweller, but have other 6-digit references, including a Hulk & 114060 and if forced to keep only one, would not hesitate to choose the Daytona.

The Sky Dweller is a non-contender for me since I find it a bit too chunky for everyday wear under a shirt cuff. If I had one, I’d probably throw it on a nice rubber strap for more casual wear.
kenzembo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 02:22 AM   #60
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy_Kilowatt View Post
What this guy said. And I'm not sure I don't like the Speedmaster better than the Daytona... and it costs half as much. Trade and buy the Omega.
"This guy" knows what awesome bass player used to use your name when checking into hotels on the road!