The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2018, 07:42 AM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegr8one View Post
FWIW, the new movement also has 55 hours of power reserve compared to 48. Agree the accuracy would not be a concern for me but the power reserve is actually important to me.
yeah i agree with that. PR is a very important feature to me, the longer the better.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 07:51 AM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
We have had this before and the AD, esp in the UK where ADs are like Kings and will now have NO knowledge of anything other than the popular sports models which ofc they never have in, will just want to make the sale and it is a question of buyer beware. I know you feel you could trust FH but those days are long gone I'm afraid, and I'm not surprised the AD is calling you a liar basically.

I suppose you could write to Rolex HQ and tell FH you will do so and mention their names and very poor service. Also that you will on this forum too, which is something they are increasingly nervous about.

So which FH was this?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 08:01 AM   #33
Lalalar
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your responses.
The extra power reserve is a big appeal. I purchased it from Fraser Hart in Westfield Stratford. I am currently in contact with their area manager after I pushed to be referred to someone higher up but it appears he too is adamant that it was my mistake alone. I will continue to pursue this with the CC and Rolex and mention this to them.
Lalalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 08:03 AM   #34
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
We have had this before and the AD, esp in the UK where ADs are like Kings and will now have NO knowledge of anything other than the popular sports models which ofc they never have in, will just want to make the sale and it is a question of buyer beware. I know you feel you could trust FH but those days are long gone I'm afraid, and I'm not surprised the AD is calling you a liar basically.

I suppose you could write to Rolex HQ and tell FH you will do so and mention their names and very poor service. Also that you will on this forum too, which is something they are increasingly nervous about.

So which FH was this?
Yeah, actually there was a similar thread where someone got the wrong watch or something like that. Cant find it, but it may have been FH. Anyone remember that one?
Old 24 February 2018, 08:05 AM   #35
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalar View Post
Thank you for your responses.
The extra power reserve is a big appeal. I purchased it from Fraser Hart in Westfield Stratford. I am currently in contact with their area manager after I pushed to be referred to someone higher up but it appears he too is adamant that it was my mistake alone. I will continue to pursue this with the CC and Rolex and mention this to them.
I wish you the best of luck. I cannot fathom any business doing this to someone. Even if they believe it’s your mistake they should take it back and give you what you truly want.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 08:17 AM   #36
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Yeah, actually there was a similar thread where someone got the wrong watch or something like that. Cant find it, but it may have been FH. Anyone remember that one?
Was it FH? I can't remember if it was UK or not either but very similar where a woman was buying a DJ and was mis-sold the wrong size.

OP, keep pushing it, don't let them Weinstein you into silence.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 08:18 AM   #37
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Was it FH? I can't remember if it was UK or not either but very similar where a woman was buying a DJ and was mis-sold the wrong size.

OP, keep pushing it, don't let them Weinstein you into silence.
it was UK for sure. It was one of those two name stores FH or DR or something like that.
Old 24 February 2018, 08:22 AM   #38
Lalalar
"TRF" Member

Again, thank you for your encouraging responses. I will keep pushing.
Lalalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 08:24 AM   #39
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Hope it all works out and you get the watch you want. You're credit card company should stand behind you (especially AMEX).
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:34 AM   #40
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
My wife has been looking at exactly these two models lately. The pink dial on the 28mm is a nicer shade than the 31mm and if it's the stick dial I also think that it's less 'fussy' than the 31mm as it doesn't have the train track around the outside.

I have never particularly rated FH to be honest - keep pushing them hard and I hope you get it sorted.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 09:44 AM   #41
Valle de Joux
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalar View Post
I really hope you can help me.

I purchased my very first Rolex yesterday and was over the moon, as you can imagine, until I realised that the salesperson had sold me the wrong watch. Basically I went into Fraser Hart yesterday and asked if they had the new 28 Datejust in SS with Oyster bracelet and pink dial. I knew this was a difficult watch to get so was very surprised and elated that the salesperson brought one out from the safe. I was in the shop for over an hour talking to this salesperson about the watch, discussing how it was the newest size and that it was being heavily featured and advertised by Rolex. In the end, I purchased it and walked out of the shop with it on my wrist. As you all know, once the links have been removed and everything signed, I cannot return the watch. What can I do? I am devastated that this isn't the watch I wanted. I am not an expert on watches so how was I supposed to know by sight that the watch I was trying on was a 31 and not a 28? Everything about our conversation was about the 28 nor did he once tell me or imply that that watch was a 31. I have spoken to the store manager who has been no help at all and has refused to believe that I was missold the watch. I had spent a lot of time deciding on and saving for a rolex watch. I am truly devastated.
You obviously liked the watch enough to pay for it..... Perhaps the 31mm Rolex is a godsend?
Valle de Joux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:07 AM   #42
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

If you are unhappy with the 31, document everything in writing, work your way up the store’s management chain and see what your CC company will do for you. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:20 AM   #43
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
You have probably gotten as good of advice as you can already. No excuse for the AD's reaction. The few that I have dealt with offer a 30 day exchange period if the watch is in its original unworn condition, which becomes confusing since with all the new AD rules popping up, they basically give you no choice but to strip all the plastics and size it to your wrist walking out the door. They are likely trying to discourage you from exchanging, because now the watch you originally purchased will have to go in their preowned stock, and likely lose a bit of profit on the resale. It's no longer amazing how much more knowledgeable we are as consumers and hobbyists compared to the salespeople at some ADs. Yesterday, I asked to see a NOS 35mm TT Yachtmaster, and even after I attempted to correct the salesperson, she insisted it was 36mm. Most times, I try to correct them once, then I just say "OK", and finish looking. Hope you end up with the watch you truly intended to buy.
G.D.BeanCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:45 AM   #44
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Best of luck pushing for what you really wanted. You weren't debating between 31 and 28mm. Your heart wanted the 28mm, anything else is an expensive compromise.
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:46 AM   #45
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I think the problem is that you have been wearing the watch. Now the store would have to give you a new unworn watch and have to deal with a “used” watch, since the warranty has already been filed... I personaly wouldn’t Want to buy a returned watch, at least not unless I got a discount, which mean they will end-up loosing money... Maybe talking to Rolex directly may be your best bet. Best of luck, I hope you do get the watch you want.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:46 AM   #46
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

It’s not the ideal situation for sure, but if you like it, I’d keep it. You may even end up liking it more than the 28mm version. Don’t let your dissappointment dominate your decission to replace it right away. But if you do, I can’t see a good AD wing difficult.
Old 24 February 2018, 11:54 AM   #47
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
I don't think there is any recourse here. I purchased from this same store last year and they are clear that once they adjust the watch it cannot be returned. Sounds like they told you the same. Also I don't understand how you spent an hour in the store, handled the watch, likely tried it on before and after adjustment, and then walked out wearing it, but only changed your mind once you realized the spec was different on paper? If it looked and felt right then 3mm is nothing, and as for the power reserve difference is 7hrs really a big deal unless you are rotating your watch every 2 days and 7hrs? Perhaps you have some of buyers regret but don't blame the store because you you weren't diligent when dropping 4.5k on a watch
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 01:51 PM   #48
s14roller
"TRF" Member

If you were mislead, then you certainly should have this corrected. I can absolutely see how a sales person did not know it was the 28 or 31 but when the mistake was made, claim they said no such thing to have the customer think otherwise. I'd be moving forward with having your CC try and resolve as well as escalating this up the AD management chain.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 02:35 PM   #49
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Which function of the new movement in the 28mm was the driving force to want it so badly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 02:53 PM   #50
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Let us know how this plays out. I'm confident that the AD will do the right thing and allow a refund or exchange - even it means they have to take the loss.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 02:55 PM   #51
teb1013
"TRF" Member

When you’re in the AD and a watch like that is being presented to you and you understand that you are getting what you want, it’s sort of like the fog of war. Your initial response wouldn’t be “hey what are you trying to pull” it would more likely be to think “boy the 28mm seems a bit bigger than I expected.” Your reaction is completely understandable to me. Good luck. Let us know how things work out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
teb1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 05:36 PM   #52
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydans View Post
I don't think there is any recourse here. I purchased from this same store last year and they are clear that once they adjust the watch it cannot be returned. Sounds like they told you the same. Also I don't understand how you spent an hour in the store, handled the watch, likely tried it on before and after adjustment, and then walked out wearing it, but only changed your mind once you realized the spec was different on paper? If it looked and felt right then 3mm is nothing, and as for the power reserve difference is 7hrs really a big deal unless you are rotating your watch every 2 days and 7hrs? Perhaps you have some of buyers regret but don't blame the store because you you weren't diligent when dropping 4.5k on a watch
This. Period. Lesson learnt.
Enjoy your new watch 31mm is better value .
Old 24 February 2018, 05:51 PM   #53
ohjnxg
"TRF" Member

man.. that sucks. i had a similar experience. Was planning to get the OP 36mm in Blue, had the arabic numerals. However went to the shop and wore the 39mm without the numerals! Discovered it only when i found out the price. So embarrassed but still walked out with my 36.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ohjnxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 06:32 PM   #54
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

It seems to me you were quite happy with the watch when looking at it and trying it on. Happy enough to put down your hard earned money. But you may be psyching yourself out a little after learning it has the 'older' movement and you based your decision after looking on line at the specs. I wouldn't put that much value on the new versus old movement. Rolex will of course hype up the minor benefits of the new movement over the old but in practical application on your wrist it is basically a wash. If you are happy with the watch and like it, no benefit in talking yourself into not liking it.

The AD's response is poor. They could take it back and get you the watch you wanted. Yes they'd have to re-sell it as used but they are still going to make money on the watch. On the other hand they likely have the sales papers with the model number and your signature so their argument that you knew what you were buying is hard to debate if it came to some sort of arbitration.

They didn't even give you a discount on the watch. Maybe as a compromise you can be made happy if they refund a little back to you on the watch? 10% off would make you happy? Probably less than they'd loose if they re-sold it as used. I suspect once the heat of the moment fades you will like the watch.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 06:54 PM   #55
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Help Please. I was missold 31mm DJ

I would stay with the 31mm if I were you.

Plus, remember, a lot of people walk into an AD to buy something and walk out buying something else that they liked better or all of a sudden fell in love with.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 07:17 PM   #56
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I would ask for some money back or a winder. you may not get it though.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 10:38 PM   #57
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Pretty sad that a company can be that way and get away with it. I mean so what if 99% of every other retailer in the 1st world will take a product back if the customer is not satisfied or happy. Not Rolex though. They must be better then everyone else including their customers. I truly hope you are in the minority about feeling this way. Buying a Rolex shouldn’t be like getting a tattoo.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:21 PM   #58
Grnvette65
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your mistake, the minor difference in power reserve is negligible in real world usage( you might have one that actually runs to 55hrs or more). Remember fwiw the amount of reserve is dependent on level of activity. Having purchased a 28mm and 31mm, the 31mm will serve you better in the long run. The slight difference in size changes the presence and feel on the wrist and as you stated you were happy when you tried it on. Also being a little larger the date is easier to read which is very useful since there is a glare at certain angles. In short I think this mistake was in your favor. Good luck
Grnvette65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 11:49 PM   #59
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnvette65 View Post
Sorry for your mistake, the minor difference in power reserve is negligible in real world usage( you might have one that actually runs to 55hrs or more). Remember fwiw the amount of reserve is dependent on level of activity. Having purchased a 28mm and 31mm, the 31mm will serve you better in the long run. The slight difference in size changes the presence and feel on the wrist and as you stated you were happy when you tried it on. Also being a little larger the date is easier to read which is very useful since there is a glare at certain angles. In short I think this mistake was in your favor. Good luck

I agree - the power reserve in the new 2236 movement for the newest 28mm DJ is the only difference an owner might experience. The 2235 in the 31mm DJ is just as robust and its 48 hour reserve is nearly the same. Very few people walk around with a fully wound movement so the difference is unlikely to be experienced in real world use.

Only other difference is the Syloxi hairspring in the 2236 movement. And it’s benefit only comes to play if you are going to experience wide temperature variations or magnetic fields. That’s where the silicon material is more stable.

All told, the OP saved £50 as the new DJ is more pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 12:05 AM   #60
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Yep! Agree

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote