The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2018, 02:57 AM   #91
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
All the shock and outrage on this thread is amusing.

It's all about perspective.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and we had to run a business...and move all the pieces, not just the super desirable ones.

What if Rolex had forced you to upgrade your store to a "boutique" at the tune of $200k and you had to take 1.5 million in inventory. And pay employees and rent. You'd probably be singing a different tune.

OP: Sounds like a fantastic deal. You've been wanting a TT Sky-D anyway and you get a D500 to boot.

Sad but true
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 02:59 AM   #92
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Bored AD reps spending too much time in break room watching commercials for telecommunication/internet Co's. re: bundling.
I'll wait till they offer the guaranteed price for life contract when "terms" are agreed upon.

JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:08 AM   #93
maylebox
"TRF" Member

I understand "the game" it's the dishonestly the op experienced that troubles me. I would hope a reputable AD who chose the bundle tactic would be up front with it. "Yes we actually have a DaytonaC in stock. It's a beautiful watch but very scarce and currently the most desirable model in the Rolex line. We are offering our DaytonaC as a part of a two watch package deal. Would you like to see the package options?" A candid, up front, and professional approach would be best in this scenario.
maylebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:34 AM   #94
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

What a joke really buy two to get the one with dial you actually don’t want that somehow miraculously shows up so you can then sell it to get the one you really want. Talk about screwed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:10 AM   #95
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
If I've not read this properly, please correct me.

You're a previous customer thats spent a lot of money on a luxury item?

He lied to you about stock?

He said he'll sell you a luxury item if you buy another luxury item from him?

If this is correct, I'd tell him to shove his luxury items where the baguette diamonds don't shine!

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:42 AM   #96
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Giving it some more thought, OP was waiting for a white dial, which the AD didn't lie about not having it yet. When he showed interest in a more expensive watch, they took a chance on the black Daytona as well, to make a bigger sale, maybe OP would change his mind and go for the black one. If anything, in this case, the wrong is done towards those waiting the call for that model, but not to the OP.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:52 AM   #97
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
The real story behind ADs lists!!!

Have to hand it to Rolex marketing. An AD that could get rewarded (profit) by lying to a customer (list, no list...no watch, oh! Here’s one!) and then selling 2 watches at full list and neither is the one the customer was originally after.

Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:52 AM   #98
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
If your after the white Ceramic thats a lot of hoops to go through. TTs have bad resale value even if it is a SkyD. You'd probably be better off buying the daytona from a trusted seller at 18k rather then selling the 2. In the end you'd probably end up Even Steven.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:57 AM   #99
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
If your after the white Ceramic thats a lot of hoops to go through. TTs have bad resale value even if it is a SkyD. You'd probably be better off buying the daytona from a trusted seller at 18k rather then selling the 2. In the end you'd probably end up Even Steven.
$18k for white? Don’t think it’ll be in new condition.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:10 AM   #100
RickR
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
So he lied to you and you're going to reward him with your business. Interesting.
RickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:27 AM   #101
fastmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Good for him. He gets 2 great watches now at MSRP. A lot of you complaining think this is bad, step into the world of limited sports cars, Porsche, Ferrari etc.

Desirable luxury goods are like this across brands, Hermes etc.
fastmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:31 AM   #102
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmd View Post
Good for him. He gets 2 great watches now at MSRP. A lot of you complaining think this is bad, step into the world of limited sports cars, Porsche, Ferrari etc.

Desirable luxury goods are like this across brands, Hermes etc.
You mean my wife has to jump through hoops to get a Birkin?
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:35 AM   #103
airpeace
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekthefinest View Post
That’s extremely sad to me that some AD’s require you to purchase other watches to get your hands on a Daytona or be a VIP. What about the people who save up for years, wanting to buy a watch and find out that they either can’t get one because they haven’t bought a half dozen other models or aren’t able to spend an additional $30k on a precious metal package deal. I guess for most the Daytona isn’t usually the first model in their collection.
it's a business and the ADs are here to make money. they do not care what your purpose is and story behind you. They will sell it to those who generate most business.
airpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 06:03 AM   #104
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Money talks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 06:30 AM   #105
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Hello DoctorA, I'm sure you know how lucky you are to be given the opportunity to purchase a DaytonaC. As long as you receive a discount on the T/T SkyD and feel you can easily replace the Black DaytonaC with a White DaytonaC, I think that is perfect. Congratulations, my friend.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 06:49 AM   #106
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
What a joke really buy two to get the one with dial you actually don’t want that somehow miraculously shows up so you can then sell it to get the one you really want. Talk about screwed up.

Yes.
Screwed up is the best description.
It's actually about as screwed up as it can possibly get.

But as my Dad used to say SNAFU, after he had picked the expression up from the Yanks when he was in England during the war.

If I were the OP, I would've said to the dealer call me as soon as you get the right colour Daytona in and we will do business straight away".
And then left the conversation at that then adopt a wait and see approach with a view to closing the deal just as soon as it comes up.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 06:53 AM   #107
Dyim
"TRF" Member

I don't see bundling as a problem.

My AD told me straight up he has to take care of their best customers first. Essentially they have their own list, not really the list that depends on when the customer call. I am absolutely ok with that because that would be exactly what I do if I am the AD.

We are not ordering fast food, first come first serve does not necessarily apply here IMO.

I bought multiple watches and jewellery in the past. The 'bundling' was already done before I received my watch.

For those guys that walked in with no purchase history and walk out with a Daytona c at MSRP, I say they won the lottery.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 07:03 AM   #108
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Businesses that sell watches are not doctors, lawyers, or accountants, you can't impose a required or desired ethical regulation on them and how they necessarily must deal with their customers, so you get what you get. Your options as a consumer are not to transact, or to pursue your available remedies if something ends up being an actually bad or fraudulent deal. No doubt Rolex is fully aware of the selling issues related in this thread, and has/is evaluating the ultimate benefit to them in terms of relying exclusively on an AD format. Given the strength of the brand I don't doubt that Rolex would make a substantial shakeup and change in how their products are sold when they feel it most benefits their interests. If I was an AD in 2018 I would be very uneasy accordingly.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 07:05 AM   #109
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Yes.

Screwed up is the best description.

It's actually about as screwed up as it can possibly get.

But as my Dad used to say SNAFU, after he had picked the expression up from the Yanks when he was in England during the war.

If I were the OP, I would've said to the dealer call me as soon as you get the right colour Daytona in and we will do business straight away".

And then left the conversation at that then adopt a wait and see approach with a view to closing the deal just as soon as it comes up.

To add insult to injury we are not talking top of the horological pinacle here. This is like going to a BMW dealer sayin I want the red M3 but also having to buy a 328 bcs the M3 is in high demand.
Don’t get it , this is a “mass” produced watch with minimal human hand intervention but treated like some trophy super car. I get it people like the watch but to maybe compromise one own’s principal seems silly to me. Also to Rolex letting your ADs or closing your eyes to what they do is just wrong and a huge turn off.

Old 25 February 2018, 07:38 AM   #110
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
To add insult to injury we are not talking top of the horological pinacle here. This is like going to a BMW dealer sayin I want the red M3 but also having to buy a 328 bcs the M3 is in high demand.
Don’t get it , this is a “mass” produced watch with minimal human hand intervention but treated like some trophy super car. I get it people like the watch but to maybe compromise one own’s principal seems silly to me. Also to Rolex letting your ADs or closing your eyes to what they do is just wrong and a huge turn off.

I hear what you are saying about the status of the brand.

Comparisons between cars and watches never really work though.
I think anybody can get an M3. It's not like one has to tick a suite of manufacturer imposed check boxes first in order to qualify to be able to buy one or a vetting process is in place.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:08 AM   #111
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I hear what you are saying about the status of the brand.

Comparisons between cars and watches never really work though.

I think anybody can get an M3. It's not like one has to tick a suite of manufacturer imposed check boxes first in order to qualify to be able to buy one or a vetting process is in place.

I know, I am just looking at two high quality products well built and so on . M3 came to mind but could have been something else. Both are not hand built , not built in small numbers and available for years

Old 25 February 2018, 08:17 AM   #112
Seekthefinest
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post

For those guys that walked in with no purchase history and walk out with a Daytona c at MSRP, I say they won the lottery.
I was really lucky, as the AD ended up knowing my wife, so they were willing to help me navigate the 'waiting list"
Seekthefinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 09:46 AM   #113
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by maylebox View Post
I understand "the game" it's the dishonestly the op experienced that troubles me. I would hope a reputable AD who chose the bundle tactic would be up front with it. "Yes we actually have a DaytonaC in stock. It's a beautiful watch but very scarce and currently the most desirable model in the Rolex line. We are offering our DaytonaC as a part of a two watch package deal. Would you like to see the package options?" A candid, up front, and professional approach would be best in this scenario.
This just isn't the way they do things. A couple of years before the DaytonaC was announced I went to a small, family owned AD. I had no intention of buying anything that day but I already had my mind set on buying a Rolex. They ask me if I'm celebrating a special occasion or achievement and I tell them no. I tell them that I've always like the brand and just want one. First the owner immediately recommends that I try on a Datejust 2 (rhodium/arabic). Cool watch and unique dial but I tell him it's not for me. I then ask to look at the sports models and try on several including a TT Bluesy and a TT Daytona. I then ask him about a SS Daytona (none on display). He then whispered to me," When you're ready to buy one come see me and I will take care of you." I immediately knew this guy had to have a couple in the safe. I didn't go back because I wasn't sure if the Daytona was the watch for me. It's hard committing on a watch when you haven't tried it on and at the time I wasn't really fond of the watch. I just knew that there was a lot of hype around it and not as available as the others.

At the time I was more attracted to the fluted bezel watches, the GMT and the TT Sub. He gave me the catalog to take home and that's when I saw the BLNR. I instantly fell in love with the watch and decided that this was what I really wanted. I narrowed my choices down to the Bluesy and BLNR.

After seeing SS Daytonas (116520) both white and black on people around NY and especially at the U.S. Open, I really grew to appreciate the look and elegance of the white dial Daytona. The black dial version just didn't seem as cool. When Baselworld 2016 came around and I saw the DaytonaC, I immediately fell in love with the white dial one and here I am today still waiting for one. I've tried both on on 47th St. when they started becoming more available and was offered a black one for $15.5 last year but passed because I would be paying over retail for a watch that isn't the one I really want. In hindsight that was a mistake, but I could not foresee the situation getting worse instead of better over time. When they first launched people were paying over $20k for them so I rationally thought that their market price would continue to drop or that I would get one sooner than later from an AD.
Old 25 February 2018, 09:53 AM   #114
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Doc, at the end of the day, it’s your decision and only you can make it. IMO, life’s too short to give a hoot about the ethics of the AD. He clearly doesn’t care about your feelings as I am sure the minute you walked out the next person walking in who eyed up a PM piece was given the same speech, all he cares about is where is next months rent and salaries coming from. It’s not an uncommon practice, if that’s what it’s come down to now then so be it.

Regardless, looking forward to the double incoming!!!!!

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:06 AM   #115
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I talked to him today and will be buying both watches
Funny enough he sold the TT skyD today but is keeping the Daytona for me.

We agreed to the following;
I will send him two checks (didn’t want to do credit card to avoid his cc charges) one for the Daytona and one for the TT Sky D which he ordered and will be here in less than a month

He will send me the Daytona on Monday

Even though I can simply take the Daytona and callmit a day but I will honor my promise and go forward with both watches especially that I like the skyD too

It is the principle that really bothers me
Anyway, it will be either an “incoming” or listed in the for sale section lol but most likely it will stay with me!
Old 25 February 2018, 10:32 AM   #116
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Congrats DoctorA! While the practice sucks, you'll be adding two great watches to your collection and finally have a DaytonaC for retail and your name on the card which is a huge plus!

It makes no sense that he sold the TT SkyD though! That was the bait for the Daytona. Would be very easy to renege on the SkyD after getting the Daytona in your hands. It would result in a bridge burned though.
Old 25 February 2018, 10:32 AM   #117
De - Fre
"TRF" Member

So he lied again by not holding to the TT SkyD? ;)
De - Fre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:44 AM   #118
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by De - Fre View Post
So he lied again by not holding to the TT SkyD? ;)
He sure did!! And honestly I’m not surprised! It’s the next person who walks in and says they will buy a platinum DD if they have a daytona then my daytona would’ve been gone! That’s why I bought it today to be shipped on Monday!

I’m learning a lot in such a short time in the Rolex world!!
Old 25 February 2018, 10:45 AM   #119
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
Congrats DoctorA! While the practice sucks, you'll be adding two great watches to your collection and finally have a DaytonaC for retail and your name on the card which is a huge plus!

It makes no sense that he sold the TT SkyD though! That was the bait for the Daytona. Would be very easy to renege on the SkyD after getting the Daytona in your hands. It would result in a bridge burned though.
Thank you! Yes I can do that but honestly I won’t come down to their level! My word is worth a lot more to me. I gave him my word and I will keep it!
Old 25 February 2018, 10:49 AM   #120
RickR
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
So now two lies and you're still giving them your business. Even more interesting.
RickR is offline   Reply With Quote