The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 December 2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Michael Young bracelet restoration update

There has been a lot of chatter of late in TRF regarding this vendor and his services and I wanted to post a brief update...

Despite some TRF members issues with Michael Young(MY), I sent him a well stretched 14k/SS jubilee bracelet off a 1675/3 I acquired over the summer. While the recent reports on Mr. Young were " less than glowing" the bracelet was only worth scrap to me so I figured I did not have much to loose and, given how few people can/do tighten Rolex bracelets, I had a lot to gain if Mr. Young came through.

I packaged and sent the bracelet off per his instructions USPS registered and insured to the address in Hong Kong given me via e mail by MY. The package was sent from USA on 03 NOV 2011 and delivered in Hong kong on 15 NOV 2011 according to USPS tracking.

MY never sent me any advice of receipt of the bracelet. I sent an Email to him on 30 NOV 2011 inquiring as to his receipt of the bracelet and got no response back.

Yesterday I received an Email from MY indicating that bracelet was done and ready for shipping back to me. I paid him via paypal per his request today. Stared shipping coast was $28 back to me here in USA.

I will report on this thread if/when the bracelet arrives and it's condition and the quality of the work.

Old 20 December 2011, 09:23 AM   #2
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Looking forward to the update...
Old 20 December 2011, 02:51 PM   #3
GlennW
"TRF" Member

This just back from Mr. Young today....as always, workmanship is A+!

1969 - 7206/80 Bracelet.

Old 21 December 2011, 02:21 AM   #4
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Just woke up this morning to an e mail from someone named "Selina" informing me that my bracelet was being returned to me today via FedEx and giving me a tracking number. Michael Young was copied on the Email.

A check of the tracking number with Fed Ex shows that it is being shipped on 20 DEC 2011 and expected delivery to me here in USA is 21 DEC 2011 so it is being shipped overnight. Origin point is Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong.
Old 21 December 2011, 02:38 AM   #5
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Can't wait to see results and the price for them
Old 21 December 2011, 02:43 AM   #6
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Can't wait to see results and the price for them
The price to tighten a 14k/SS jubilee bracelet was $150.00 shipping was $28.00.
Old 21 December 2011, 02:53 AM   #7
SPARTAN2161
Banned

Watch: me flip
I am looking to get this done and was hoping more people would deal with MY to see if the past was just a major mistake or if that's how he runs his business. Can't wait to see your bracelet. Could you post before and after? Cause I want to send him the same type of bracelet. Thanks and good luck!
Old 21 December 2011, 08:50 AM   #8
amomomo
"TRF" Member

Always happy with michael young

He does good job although not over communicative
But that is secondary since he is trustworthy
Just send you bracelet, wait and you will be contacted
Happiness shall follow :)

--alex
Old 21 December 2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomomo View Post
He does good job although not over communicative
But that is secondary since he is trustworthy
Just send you bracelet, wait and you will be contacted
Happiness shall follow :)

--alex
That has been my experience so far. I don't need or want a lot of communication or hand holding....just competent work at a fair price.
Old 21 December 2011, 09:42 AM   #10
skyedog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Nice work!
Old 21 December 2011, 11:21 AM   #11
therolexguy
2024 Pledge Member

Looking forward to these pics.
Old 21 December 2011, 12:08 PM   #12
Warnsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Been active here and on VRF for a couple of years. Can't imagine the volume increase in Mr. Youngs business that I've witnessed, but it seems there is always that concern and then extreme pleasure when the watch arrives. I would rather Mr. Young continue his focus on excelent work than comunication skills as almost always the finish product is worth the worry.There aren't many restoration options out there.

Can't wait to see the bracelet
Old 21 December 2011, 11:00 PM   #13
nbenz
"TRF" Member

Had him do 2 of mine and they are great. One is a daily wearing and still tight after 2 years.
Old 22 December 2011, 01:03 AM   #14
azguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
The price to tighten a 14k/SS jubilee bracelet was $150.00 shipping was $28.00.
Wow, that's really fair
Old 22 December 2011, 01:22 AM   #15
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Wow, that's really fair
Yup... And yet some people expect concierge service at that price. I have worked with a lot of custom artisans and craftsmen over the years....they are focused on their work more than " running the business". I also think that there is a different way of doing business in china for small businesses than here in the united states.

In my e mail notifying him of my prompt payment, I asked him if he was taking additional work vis a vie some other TRF postings recently. This was his response; " Sure, for returning cutovers I am taking orders, just that some customers are pain to the butt for timing."

This guy is like my gunsmith ( one of the best who does all the work out on the west coast for USN SEAL sniper teams) and my Japanese sword polisher (aguably the finest polisher outside of Japan). They are into their work and the mundane aspects of running a business seems almost beyond them. If you as a customer do not like their work flow/schedule etc... They will tell you that you should take your business elsewhere. They are so good at what they do and have more work than they can handle they just dont need headache customers.

So many of these whiners are so afraid that Mr. Young is trying to rip off their worn out bracelets to what end....corner the market on used worn out Rolex bracelets? The world is full of them!!!!!

Old 22 December 2011, 02:47 AM   #16
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Yup... And yet some people expect concierge service at that price. I have worked with a lot of custom artisans and craftsmen over the years....they are focused on their work more than " running the business". I also think that there is a different way of doing business in china for small businesses than here in the united states.

In my e mail notifying him of my prompt payment, I asked him if he was taking additional work vis a vie some other TRF postings recently. This was his response; " Sure, for returning cutovers I am taking orders, just that some customers are pain to the butt for timing."

This guy is like my gunsmith ( one of the best who does all the work out on the west coast for USN SEAL sniper teams) and my Japanese sword polisher (aguably the finest polisher outside of Japan). They are into their work and the mundane aspects of running a business seems almost beyond them. If you as a customer do not like their work flow/schedule etc... They will tell you that you should take your business elsewhere. They are so good at what they do and have more work than they can handle they just dont need headache customers.

So many of these whiners are so afraid that Mr. Young is trying to rip off their worn out bracelets to what end....corner the market on used worn out Rolex bracelets? The world is full of them!!!!!

I agree.
I have dealt with people in the past, not with watches, but with other things.. They were not good at returning emails or keeping to their word.. when I say keep to their word, I mean they did not get my item finished when they had told me they would.. there is one person in particular who is very bad at dealing with customers, but he happenes to be the best in the world at what he does.. so I put up with it because I want his product. Most people that are the best at what they do, don't so much focus on the customer treatment end of it, they are more focused on the work they do.
Old 22 December 2011, 04:13 AM   #17
Clay
Banned

Can't say I agree...Good customer service is, in my opinion, just as important as the end product...I see no reason why the two can't go hand in hand.....Especially with all of the forms of communication available today...
Old 22 December 2011, 06:06 AM   #18
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Just got my TT jubilee bracelet back.....simply AMAZING!

I just got my vintage TT jubilee bracelet back from Michael Young in Hong Kong and the result is nothing short of extraordinary particularly in light of the Rolex AD replacement cost for a new one.

I just opened up the FedEx overnight envelope and gave it a quick once over on my way out the door....AMAZINGLY TIGHT...as in LIKE NEW! No visible marks or scratches on either side of the bracelet. The bracelet was returned with two new spring bars as well.

I will post photos of the bracelet and compare it side by side to a BNIB SS jubilee I have.

So far...a seven week turnaround and almost two of those weeks was spent by USPS getting the watch to Mr. Young's PO box in Hong Kong.

Very much with the $$$$ I am very happy!
Old 22 December 2011, 09:43 AM   #19
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Can't say I agree...Good customer service is, in my opinion, just as important as the end product...I see no reason why the two can't go hand in hand.....Especially with all of the forms of communication available today...
I agree.

Not returning an email asking if the package had arrived safely implies to me that someone is either lazy or just doesn't care.
Old 22 December 2011, 10:30 AM   #20
OysterDavid
Banned

I think that Mr. Young and his business should be presented as an option on this forum, with the past postings of other's experiences.

I fall into the Palidin opinion camp, having sent Mr. Young a 14K solid gold Jubilee bracelet back in '06 for rehab and having a returned bracelet that is still a tight, restored and enjoyed integral accessory for my Date watch. I am a very satisfied customer, but I went into the transaction expecting nothing more than fine work at a fair price.

I can assume that Mr. Young really doesn't rely on this forum to keep his work flowing and shop open and as described by others, is apparently a skilled artisan who doesn't want to subscribe to high touch customer service. Armed with that knowledge, a bracelet owner wishing restoration can make an informed decision about transacting business with him with set expectations about how things will likely go.
Old 22 December 2011, 11:11 AM   #21
jedly1
"TRF" Member

what

most people fail to realize is that this is not Michaels main business...he operates a BIG business manufacturing all kinds of watch related items ...

these days i am pretty sure he only keeps the bracelet repairs up because he'd never hear the end of it if he stopped, and as a community we'd probably lynch him if he didn't.... he gets bucket loads of them ...seeks no additional work , rarely advertises his services but does it on his terms ...take it or leave it... and does it all for less than most watchmakers in Europe or USA would charge to fit a new buckle pin .......

to date i've never heard of someone losing a bracelet when following his instructions...but it is on his terms ...send it ..wait...pay, get it back....that's how it works ...no hand holding in between ....if that doesn't work for you ...don't bother, you'll sleep better at nights for 4 months and he wont loose any sleep that it wasn't for you....
Old 22 December 2011, 12:35 PM   #22
diverdick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 Submariner
Jed is spot on as usual

My advice in dealing with Mike Young services is to “Never look a gift horse in the mouth”. My own experiences have been 100% positive. Be patient and trusting and good things will come to pass.
Old 22 December 2011, 12:51 PM   #23
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
most people fail to realize is that this is not Michaels main business...he operates a BIG business manufacturing all kinds of watch related items ...

these days i am pretty sure he only keeps the bracelet repairs up because he'd never hear the end of it if he stopped, and as a community we'd probably lynch him if he didn't.... he gets bucket loads of them ...seeks no additional work , rarely advertises his services but does it on his terms ...take it or leave it... and does it all for less than most watchmakers in Europe or USA would charge to fit a new buckle pin .......

to date i've never heard of someone losing a bracelet when following his instructions...but it is on his terms ...send it ..wait...pay, get it back....that's how it works ...no hand holding in between ....if that doesn't work for you ...don't bother, you'll sleep better at nights for 4 months and he wont loose any sleep that it wasn't for you....
Well said. There are too many people that like the hand holding experience and hence posted all these negative posts and threads here on TRF.

Michael Young is a craftsman not a baby sitter. My advise for people who can not wait for Mr Young to complete his work, go and buy a new bracelet then!
Old 22 December 2011, 05:53 PM   #24
GlennW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post

+1
Old 23 December 2011, 12:25 AM   #25
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
Thanks for the updates. I'm about the send two bracelets to him.
Old 23 December 2011, 03:58 AM   #26
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
Thanks for the updates. I'm about the send two bracelets to him.
Make sure you contact him first and he accepts work.

Old 25 December 2011, 05:33 AM   #27
2ar2c1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbeth View Post
My advise for people who can not wait for Mr Young to complete his work, go and buy a new bracelet then!
x2.
Old 26 December 2011, 01:20 AM   #28
azguy
Banned

If they turn out as well as described and for that price I guess it can be unsettling to ship something off to parts unknown and hope for the best....it appears there are enough raving reviews to just send it to him and wait

After just sourcing a "like new" jubilee for my GMT Master II, I can tell you they are not cheap either new or pre-loved, so the prices quoted here for a refurbish are down right cheap
Old 3 January 2012, 08:58 PM   #29
Mark020
"TRF" Member

I will post before and after pictures later but can tell you that the result is VERY nice. Regarding time: I shipped out 24 October, MY received the bracelet early November, mailed me that it was ready 1 December and I got it back 10 days later.
Old 3 January 2012, 09:37 PM   #30
Lol-x
Facilitator

This bracelet restorer is an awesome resource to the watch enthusiasts community

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Closed Thread