The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 21 January 2014, 11:19 AM   #61
flyinbrian
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
Yes, of course - you're completely right - I would also feel better knowing where mine is too!

I hope that the fix is quick and that your 233 is back on your wrist in no time - good luck and please continue to keep us posted
I will give updates as I receive them Hope this gets resolved soon as I have wanted this watch for many years and was really enjoying it. Just received 4 new straps to start mixing it up and that is when I realized it was defective :(
flyinbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2014, 01:31 AM   #62
simongpaez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Some
Thanks for the update, let us know how it goes, I am seriously considering a 233 as my next purchase, this will make it or brake it for me, it is not only about the piece is about the experience after they sold the watch, that is why I love Rolex so much, the 2 times I have dealt with them the experience was flawless.
simongpaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2014, 05:22 AM   #63
flyinbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongpaez View Post
Thanks for the update, let us know how it goes, I am seriously considering a 233 as my next purchase, this will make it or brake it for me, it is not only about the piece is about the experience after they sold the watch, that is why I love Rolex so much, the 2 times I have dealt with them the experience was flawless.
I have had one experience with Rolex and one with IWC and they went flawless, hoping I have the same with Panerai. Kind of concerned with the 3K case they mentioned yesterday, still no word back after speaking with them.
Old 25 January 2014, 06:22 AM   #64
flyinbrian

Quick follow up. I received the mailing with the estimate that I need to replace the case for the low fee of $3025. So I called again today to explain a second time that the watch was defective from Panerai and I have not received a call back from my phone call Monday. Today I spoke with an Anthony who stated that he is a senior ambassador for the brand and he stated he would run it up the pole and get things handled. Anthony said he would email or call for sure by Tuesday. I will keep you all updated as this progresses. Very dissappointed with the service so far.

I recently had my new explorer II fail and sent it to Rolex RSC in Dallas and received it back repaired in less than three weeks. Also a while back I actually damaged my out of warranty IWC and they fixed it for free and had it back within 3 weeks. Link to IWC story:

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=268576

Hopefully Panerai steps up its program and takes care of the issue as I can see from a quick google search I am not the only one that has had this problem. Both with the defective quick release and the problem getting it covered under warranty.
Old 25 January 2014, 06:44 AM   #65
RUpanerai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam Patek Rolex AP
Congrats Brian, great choice. I am trying to score another one of them soon.
RUpanerai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 08:58 AM   #66
bzabodyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek / AP / Rolex
Congrats - mine is my favorite Panerai out of the dozen or so I've owned:

Sorry to hear about the misfortune - here's to hoping they come through and make it good.

BZ
bzabodyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 09:30 AM   #67
simongpaez
"TRF" Member

I hope it gets resolved soon, totally out of the question paying $3K for something that is wrong on their side.

Keep us updated and hang in there.
Old 25 January 2014, 09:55 AM   #68
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrian View Post
Quick follow up. I received the mailing with the estimate that I need to replace the case for the low fee of $3025. So I called again today to explain a second time that the watch was defective from Panerai and I have not received a call back from my phone call Monday. Today I spoke with an Anthony who stated that he is a senior ambassador for the brand and he stated he would run it up the pole and get things handled. Anthony said he would email or call for sure by Tuesday. I will keep you all updated as this progresses. Very dissappointed with the service so far.

I recently had my new explorer II fail and sent it to Rolex RSC in Dallas and received it back repaired in less than three weeks. Also a while back I actually damaged my out of warranty IWC and they fixed it for free and had it back within 3 weeks. Link to IWC story:

Hopefully Panerai steps up its program and takes care of the issue as I can see from a quick google search I am not the only one that has had this problem. Both with the defective quick release and the problem getting it covered under warranty.
Honestly I am quite appalled to hear your experience. Like you, I enjoy Rolex, IWC and Panerai amongst others.
It sounds like whoever has your watch has no clue of what they are doing. I would get it back and go elsewhere or directly to Panerai. ( I can't quite ascertain if that is where it is or is headed) The fact that they don't seem to even understand the problem and are trying to flog you a new case is, in my opinion, beneath contempt. In fact it's quite embarrassing. It's a new watch with a defect. You seem to have been fair, patient and reasonable.
I would be polite, but firm, in stating that you are completely shocked by the level of incompetence and their lack of knowledge in the detail of the issue. Put it to them that they have 7 days or you will a) take your watch elsewhere and/or b) be asking for a full refund on a defective piece. There is warranty for a reason. Out of principle don't let them get away with this type of practice.
Do you have a friend who is a lawyer? Get them to send a nice letter to the dealer.

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 10:48 AM   #69
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
I'm sorry for the hassle they are putting you through

Just more proof that there's no solution that satisfies all needs. Let me clarify; when I got my 233, one of the many selling points was the Quick-Release system. After all, Panerai made strap collecting a pastime and the quicker and easier you can swap out a strap, the more fun it is

So when I recently acquired my 217 and had to resort to using a screwdriver, I was already missing the Quick-release system! On the other hand, reading this thread has made it clear that with every increase in complexity of a solution comes an increase in a chance for operational failure. Hell, even the 217's screw-in bars could cause havoc if one were to strip the case-threads...
Which brings us back to the classic spring bars... certainly less sturdy than the screw-in bars and a bit more tedious than the Quick-Release system, but there is no way to endanger the case...

p.s. / FWIW, some photos I made of the QR system for my 233 review.

EDIT: Speak of the devil... just came across this by accident...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 11:36 AM   #70
jvo300
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That's just pathetic. You need to demand action. You are in the right. If they continue down this path, you need to get louder with them and on the internet. This is not the way to treat customers.
jvo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 11:51 AM   #71
zengolf

Sorry to hear about your experience thus far. As a new Panerai owner this is quite concerning. Please keep us posted. The watch is beautiful though.

Last edited by zengolf; 25 January 2014 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: Misread post
zengolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2014, 07:07 AM   #72
flyinbrian

Thank you everyone for the concern and today I finally received my first email response which is as follows:

"A follow up has been made, again, about the case of your timepiece with the workshop. I highly anticipate a response, today, as I have also contacted a supervisor in the workshop. I will contact you as soon as I have information from the supervisor."

Not sure what that exactly means and not sure why they wouldn't just fix the defective case on a brand new watch. So far slightly stressful as I really just want my new watch back in working order.

PS: The watch was sent directly to Panerai Service Center stated on their website:

RICHEMONT TECHNICAL SERVICE
15100 Trinity Blvd, Suite 300 Ft. Worth, TX 76155
Phone: 1 866 374 4430
Fax: 1 817 785 2391
Old 28 January 2014, 09:01 AM   #73
exxondus
"TRF" Member

I think iwc and pam are from the same Richemont group? Such a response is really disappointing.
exxondus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2014, 10:49 AM   #74
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Crazy story. I hope it gets resolved soon and you can start enjoying that beauty!
Old 28 January 2014, 04:19 PM   #75
flyinbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxondus View Post
I think iwc and pam are from the same Richemont group? Such a response is really disappointing.
I was wondering the same thing but they obvisously must have different protocol as to how to handle warranty service. Hell IWC I was out of warranty and I broke the watch admittedly, they fixed it anyway and free of charge. Panerai received a brand new watch and some how I owe them money to fix their defect. Odd to say the least.
Old 29 January 2014, 01:56 PM   #76
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Great model, my first pam, but it gave me the pam fever, in the 5 following months i purchased 3 more, the 28, 82 and 217 but sold this one because way too big for my wrists, so i can just say excellent choice
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2014, 01:59 PM   #77
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing but they obvisously must have different protocol as to how to handle warranty service. Hell IWC I was out of warranty and I broke the watch admittedly, they fixed it anyway and free of charge. Panerai received a brand new watch and some how I owe them money to fix their defect. Odd to say the least.
I bought my first pam 6 months ago so haven't had to use their services, but basically I hear a lot of negative feedback about it, must say It worries me for the day that they will need service
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2014, 08:12 AM   #78
flyinbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I bought my first pam 6 months ago so haven't had to use their services, but basically I hear a lot of negative feedback about it, must say It worries me for the day that they will need service
To be honest it worries me as I really really like the watch. At this price range I would not expect this type of service.
Old 30 January 2014, 08:47 AM   #79
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
...basically I hear a lot of negative feedback about it, must say It worries me for the day that they will need service...
Tell me about it; that 217 I just procured needs to go in (8yrs old, never serviced) - and I'm pretty nervous at the propect...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2014, 02:46 AM   #80
simongpaez
"TRF" Member

Let us know how it goes
Old 1 February 2014, 12:40 PM   #81
flyinbrian

UPDATE:

It looks like they are going to honor the warranty and fix my watch free of charge. Still kind of boggled that they wanted to charge in the first place but glad there is resolution and the watch will be repaired. Unfortunately I guess you need to replace the case to fix a stuck faulty quick release so they had to order one in. They gave me an estimated time of approximately 4 weeks for the repair.
I will update this thread again when I receive the watch back and hopefully show off some of the great brand new straps that I have here stairing at me and taunting me daily
Old 2 February 2014, 12:49 AM   #82
simongpaez
"TRF" Member

Good to hear that, hope everything goes as planned, good outcome but the should have said that since since day 1.
Old 2 February 2014, 09:39 AM   #83
flyinbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongpaez View Post
Good to hear that, hope everything goes as planned, good outcome but the should have said that since since day 1.
I agree but I am just going to wait patiently as I really do love the watch and want to continue to enjoy it and the Panerai brand. I have a decent collection of watches and I was really enjoying the Panerai and still think it is a great brand.
Old 3 February 2014, 03:45 AM   #84
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2014, 04:26 PM   #85
flyinbrian

Heading to Chicago this weekend and still without my brand new Panerai, has anyone ever received a discount from the Omega Boutique in Chicago? Thinking of picking up a new watch to fill the void but not sure about pricing with the instant drop in value when paying retail on an Omega.
Old 25 February 2014, 05:18 AM   #86
TopNotchChach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
beautiful!
TopNotchChach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 08:17 AM   #87
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Heading to Chicago this weekend and still without my brand new Panerai, has anyone ever received a discount from the Omega Boutique in Chicago? Thinking of picking up a new watch to fill the void but not sure about pricing with the instant drop in value when paying retail on an Omega.
Neither the Omega boutique nor Tourbillon will discount, you may get an extra strap to sweeten the deal at best.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2014, 12:08 AM   #88
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Any updates?
Old 1 March 2014, 12:49 AM   #89
flyinbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Any updates?
I wish, I havent heard a peep and I am still waiting patiently.
Old 1 March 2014, 07:11 AM   #90
flyinbrian

While waiting for my new PAM 233 to return I decided to fill the void with this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (9).jpg (97.5 KB, 83 views)