The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 September 2018, 08:39 PM   #1
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

New to Vintage and Looking for Advince on a 1601

Hello Rolex Forum!

I am newly considering my first vintage Rolex and was hoping for some advice from the experts on what to expect.

In short, I’m looking at some late 60s/early 70s Datejust 1601 models, and other than looking for original dials, hands, and movements, is there anything else I should be paying close attention to?

A newbie question I feel I should ask: if I find one in decent condition, is it reasonable to wear it daily? I’m not in this for the collector’s sport, but because I love the look of this era DJ with the acrylic crystals, etc, and thus am looking for something to wear. I know they can run within COSC spec like any modern watch, and I know I need to be careful around water, but other than that what else should I know?

This is the watch I’m seriously considering: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/vi...g-4760681.html

Does it look like a decent deal? Thanks in advance!
JeanGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 09:07 PM   #2
AndrewMayhem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green OP 34 114200
Welcome to the forum! Besides originality, look for a watch that hasn’t been overpolished (check the fluted bezel as well as the case), and intact lume plots. The watch you posted looks like it’s in nice condition and the price isn’t bad, but some of the lume plots are missing, which would personally drive me bonkers.

Considering this is probably the most common watch Rolex ever made and there are about a zillion of them out there, I’d personally hold off for one with a better dial. Don’t rush it - the hunt is the best part. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndrewMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 10:30 PM   #3
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMayhem View Post
Welcome to the forum! Besides originality, look for a watch that hasn’t been overpolished (check the fluted bezel as well as the case), and intact lume plots. The watch you posted looks like it’s in nice condition and the price isn’t bad, but some of the lume plots are missing, which would personally drive me bonkers.

Considering this is probably the most common watch Rolex ever made and there are about a zillion of them out there, I’d personally hold off for one with a better dial. Don’t rush it - the hunt is the best part. Good luck!

That’s helpful thank you! I wouldn’t have caught the lume pots- I’ll keep my eyes open. How about a bracelet like the one pictured? How will it hold up?
JeanGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 06:47 AM   #4
AndrewMayhem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanGenie View Post
That’s helpful thank you! I wouldn’t have caught the lume pots- I’ll keep my eyes open. How about a bracelet like the one pictured? How will it hold up?

Will it be as robust as a modern Rolex bracelet? Of course not - but therein lies the charm as well... I wouldn’t worry too much about it. People wore these watches for decades, and enthusiasts continue to wear them. Just make sure to get some nice strong spring bars that fit properly and change them out with every service. Insure your watch. That’s the best you can do. Vintage watches don’t come with long warranties and they’re uncertain things. I certainly believe it’s worth it, but only you can measure and know the level of risk you’re willing to tolerate!

Old 22 September 2018, 06:57 AM   #5
AndrewMayhem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanGenie View Post
Hello Rolex Forum!

This is the watch I’m seriously considering: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/vi...g-4760681.html

Does it look like a decent deal? Thanks in advance!
You know, I may have jumped the gun on the lume plots... Looking at the photos in HD on my computer, they really actually look pretty good. I'd ask the seller to clarify what they mean by "mostly intact" tritium.
Old 22 September 2018, 07:17 AM   #6
R!$
Banned

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote