The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 May 2009, 04:44 PM   #61
jas55
"TRF" Member

Wouldn't go to that extreme, but they are fantastic watches. I hope to own one someday.

Explorer 2-Polar
Omega Seamaster Quartz
jas55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2009, 08:04 PM   #62
steengeo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD/Gold GMT IIc
I'v only sold Rolex'es to fund new Rolex'es. Actually had two Panerai watches previously - the Black Seal and the PAM 177. Both were sold to finance a Rolex purchase. BUT, currently I'm on the waiting list for the 312 - this I HAVE TO HAVE, and will stay with me for a long time :-)
steengeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2009, 09:18 PM   #63
tuisquash
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai rolex
JJ are always here. I know he wants a pam.lol
Old 8 May 2009, 11:08 PM   #64
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Local Vendome service is fantastic.Have sent in two.Longest I have waited is two weeks and all work done to perfection.No complaints.

I wish the UK had something similar, i see a lot of good work being done in the states and elsewhere, but my experiences with Panerai UK are terrible.

I do love Panerai, but i just can't be bothered buying another when i know the support isn't there, when it comes time to service the 233 it won't be as bad, because the UK service centre doesn't service the manifattura models, they send them to Switzerland

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 12:04 AM   #65
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Panerai tried to win me over, but Rolex bowled me over first!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 12:09 AM   #66
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuisquash View Post
JJ are always here. I know he wants a pam.lol
I have the same mind with you, Tui...

Soon, JJ will cross the line too...
Old 9 May 2009, 12:58 AM   #67
tuisquash
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trurolexer View Post
I have the same mind with you, Tui...

Soon, JJ will cross the line too...
let's keep looking for sale, i'm sure jj will sell all roliies, and wtb some pam.
Old 9 May 2009, 01:31 AM   #68
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
I love both!!!!
Agree - why the need to choose... They're both great!
jamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 04:55 AM   #69
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
I wish the UK had something similar, i see a lot of good work being done in the states and elsewhere, but my experiences with Panerai UK are terrible.

I do love Panerai, but i just can't be bothered buying another when i know the support isn't there, when it comes time to service the 233 it won't be as bad, because the UK service centre doesn't service the manifattura models, they send them to Switzerland
If I get bad service I take it from the bottom right to the top ...and I dont stop !! If no-one complains,nothing will be done.Sometimes the top structure needs to be informed

Here's a nice story,to illustrate the point,to an extend ....

A year or so ago,I made an substantial investment with my bank(You know those struggling organizations ...... ).The banker lied to me,gave false info repeatedly and the investment was exposed to the stockmarket,exactly what I didnt want !! It was to be supposed to be as "safe" as my money market account.The investment took a bit of a knock and decreased in value,but the capital was supposed to be guaranteed.It turned out to be not !!! .... I went ballistic !!! I started writing mails and phoning.At first,the bank was very cockey.Every mail became a bit more threatening from me and then at the end when I started throwing them with the outcomes from various court cases, concerning bad financial advice,I got a mail ....... Please Sir,can we pay you your loss back,if you dont hold us accountable blah-blah-blah ....... I got the money back.

Sometimes its worth complaining !!

Panerai gives you bad service,give them hell !!!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 05:11 AM   #70
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post

Panerai gives you bad service,give them hell !!!
I have a watch related story about complaining and it happens to be with the Richemont group!

I have a Cartier Tank Francaise I bought for my lady. Worked good, but it was annoyingly slow and it got worse to the tune of 2min per day. I wanted to do it right so I sent if off to the Dallas Service Center for Cartier. Also, the deployant clasp wasn't very crisp anymore and opened easily.

I requested a full service, saying I want a "brand new" watch back with the condition that they call me for anything out of the service price which I paid upfront. I figured a new clasp would cost some money.

They get it, work on it and give it back to me in 2 weeks! I'm impressed, but then the watch can't keep time worth a _____. So I send it back. I tell them the problem and again tell them about the deployant (wasn't fixed). Again 2 weeks returned and they told me they replaced the ENTIRE movement with a new one. Well the watch now keeps great time but is as loud as a tornado! The damn rotor makes noise that you can hear from 5 feet away. People commented on it at meetings where my fiance was in. "What is that noise?" "Oh, its just my $5000 POS watch!" Also, the deployant still wasn't fixed. In fact, it was worse!!!!

So I returned a third time with a DETAILED letter of what I'm expecting. I also let them know that I went to the AD in town, looked at all the Cartier's and none of them sounded like this. The AD also said he never heard of this before. In the letter I explain that I own 2 Rolex, a Panerai and this. If the watch issue is not resolved this time, I'm selling it and never buying from Richemont again.

The watch came back yesterday. Looks brand new, so far (only 1 day) keeping good time and they FINALLY fixed the deployant, and the tornado sound is gone for the most part. Still a little there, but no where near what it was before.

My lesson learned from this is that you need to document everything and leave no room for interpretation.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 07:03 AM   #71
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
I have a watch related story about complaining and it happens to be with the Richemont group!

I have a Cartier Tank Francaise I bought for my lady. Worked good, but it was annoyingly slow and it got worse to the tune of 2min per day. I wanted to do it right so I sent if off to the Dallas Service Center for Cartier. Also, the deployant clasp wasn't very crisp anymore and opened easily.

I requested a full service, saying I want a "brand new" watch back with the condition that they call me for anything out of the service price which I paid upfront. I figured a new clasp would cost some money.

They get it, work on it and give it back to me in 2 weeks! I'm impressed, but then the watch can't keep time worth a _____. So I send it back. I tell them the problem and again tell them about the deployant (wasn't fixed). Again 2 weeks returned and they told me they replaced the ENTIRE movement with a new one. Well the watch now keeps great time but is as loud as a tornado! The damn rotor makes noise that you can hear from 5 feet away. People commented on it at meetings where my fiance was in. "What is that noise?" "Oh, its just my $5000 POS watch!" Also, the deployant still wasn't fixed. In fact, it was worse!!!!

So I returned a third time with a DETAILED letter of what I'm expecting. I also let them know that I went to the AD in town, looked at all the Cartier's and none of them sounded like this. The AD also said he never heard of this before. In the letter I explain that I own 2 Rolex, a Panerai and this. If the watch issue is not resolved this time, I'm selling it and never buying from Richemont again.

The watch came back yesterday. Looks brand new, so far (only 1 day) keeping good time and they FINALLY fixed the deployant, and the tornado sound is gone for the most part. Still a little there, but no where near what it was before.

My lesson learned from this is that you need to document everything and leave no room for interpretation.
Not good enough !! Should have fixed it the first time !!
Old 9 May 2009, 07:22 AM   #72
argee1977
"TRF" Member

To be honest i've just drawn a line under the situation, and moving on to something else, next year the new submariner comes out so i might wait and go for that, or maybe a bi-metal one

Old 9 May 2009, 09:23 AM   #73
tech_controller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Bleed...
I almost gave up rolex for panerai a few years back....but i came back to my senses...

Got this one last week

And then this showed up yesterday...

I love both brands for different reasons...but one over the other...not likely.
Old 9 May 2009, 09:28 AM   #74
chu88y
Banned

Watch: SDDS
I have never been into dress watches etc and leather straps just don't float my boat. Rolex/seiko for me
chu88y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 12:50 PM   #75
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chu88y View Post
I have never been into dress watches etc and leather straps just don't float my boat. Rolex/seiko for me
Straps is fun...Just try.
Old 9 May 2009, 04:23 PM   #76
tech_controller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Bleed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trurolexer View Post
Straps is fun...Just try.
Straps for watches...right TR? Not them other ones...

Just teasing...the straps changing are a lot of fun and I'm really loving the new strap change system that OP brought about for the modern line...no more scratched cases.
Old 9 May 2009, 06:42 PM   #77
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
how many people here have sold all their rolex and now only own panerai??

When you write 'here' do you mean TRF or the Pam section where 8 people live?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 06:43 PM   #78
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Tourbillon for ya' Uncle !!
Old 9 May 2009, 07:21 PM   #79
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

When you write 'here' do you mean TRF or the Pam section where 8 people live?

:bar tmoon:....9.....
PDF@TRF >>> The ones that count !!!!!
Old 9 May 2009, 08:50 PM   #80
Fred_Tan
Banned

Watch: Bumble Bee
I thank heavens that Vendome saved Panerai from forclosure.
If I read Dino Zei's book corretly, Panerai was sold by the Giuseuppe family when all else are considered and there's no other way in late 1996.

All wacthes has lineage history.
All watches are replicas or just revolutions of previous historic model regardless of who makes them & where they are made.

Does a person who wears a 16600 thinks he's wearing a 5513? I don't think so.
A person who will get a PAM341 do not think he owns a 2/56, right?
It's all just association, nothing more.

I know for sure most brands including Patek, AP, Rolex, Panerai, JLC, Cartier, Omega, IWC & etc do not make all their parts in house no more since 1990s.
None of them claim to be so today.
Only heavens know where these parts are out-sourced to.

The only thing Patek now claims are family ownership and not 100% in-house.

Most of the brands are all owned by shareholders via proxies.
These shareholders have different nationality from USA, UK, Germany, Swiss to China.
Does shareholding from different nationals made the fact that all watches company are just a overseas' entities making watches in Switzerland.

Some of these watchmakers are even sourcing parts from China right now.

I don't care much about this. Never bothered myself.
It never bothers me unless child or slave labour are used.

I care for the look, individuality, historic persona, design, technology & tested applications that only Panerai can offer.

Other brands merely uses too much ambassadors, adverts, events & sponsorship.
Panerai uses these vehicles to certain extent but not way overboard like Rolex.

For me personally, I couldn't care if my 217 value drop to USD10.
I just like the fact that it's huge, high in presense, nice, cool, individualistic & historic.

The last thing I want is to see my watch brand on every front page all dailies in the world, 2nd page & last page of all major magazines worldwide every month & paying for hundreds of golf events that I dun play in and worst, hundreds of ambassadors that I don't seem to care if they really like the watch or not.

It will make my watch aint no cool no more.....

Also the fact that I got my LNIB 217 for USD8k 2 yrs ago makes me a happy man right now...today, even amidst gloom & doom economic crises worldwide, I bet anyone I can flip my 217 for USD16k anytime.

I dunno if I can get any Patek, AP & Rolex models released in 2005 and purchased 2 yrs ago and double the the value.

I really do not know a brand that was only available to public thanks to Richemont or Vendome or Cartier in 1997 who released so many models in PAM1, 2, 4, 9, 16, 21, 22, 23, 26, 36, 56, 115, 117, 123, 127, 197, 194, 202, 217, 219, 232, 239, 249, 262, 292 & 301 that all became legend in term of appreciation & values without fail since 1998.

Ask any owner of the above and let me & everyone here know if they're sad with the design, look, beauty, coolness, history association, technology, innovations & value of any of their PAM in last 10 years which many still thinks is a fashion fad...
Fred_Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 09:04 PM   #81
VazLube

Well said Fred! If Panerai starts going down the road of both Montblanc and Rolex then it's cause for concern for all 'risti of us.

Speaking of fashion/fad, Panerai basic design has been like that for many decades, 1938, etc no?
VazLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 09:07 PM   #82
Fred_Tan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazLube View Post
Well said Fred! If Panerai starts going down the road of both Montblanc and Rolex then it's cause for concern for all 'risti of us.

Speaking of fashion/fad, Panerai basic design has been like that for many decades, 1938, etc no?
Many people on the road who don't even know what Panerai are to make these statements, "Panerai is just a fashion fad that will die out soon"....they don'y know the 1930s & 1940s Radomir & Luminor history.

I wonder how soon is soon....it's been more than 10 years....and all of us are waiting for 341, 317 & etc still
Old 9 May 2009, 09:14 PM   #83
Fred_Tan
Banned

Actually my real wish is for PAM to be a fashion fad, branding failure, legal tussle, IP infrigement, company closure, sales drop, technical disaster, mart loss, popularity loss, & etc...

So that I get all the PAM 1, 2, 4, 9, 16, 21, 22, 23, 26, 28, 36, 123, 232, 239, 249, 262 for the cheap...
Old 9 May 2009, 09:28 PM   #84
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Tan View Post
Actually my real wish is for PAM to be a fashion fad, branding failure, legal tussle, IP infrigement, company closure, sales drop, technical disaster, mart loss, popularity loss, & etc...

So that I get all the PAM 1, 2, 4, 9, 16, 21, 22, 23, 26, 28, 36, 123, 232, 239, 249, 262 for the cheap...

Don't we all

I say the same thing when people go on about 'investments' and 'deposit box watches', i just wish that i could see a watch i like and go and buy it for the MRSP, just like everything else in life, it really grates me seeing the likes of the 26k and the 28 coming out and being snapped up, then seeing them sit in grey dealers windows at twice the MRSP, i know it's the way Panerai want to do things, to create a desire and a premium for their watches, but for guys like me who struggle to pay the MRSP it just annoys me seeing the damn things ending up as some kind of investment or present to the ADs big customers

Old 9 May 2009, 10:06 PM   #85
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don't we all

I say the same thing when people go on about 'investments' and 'deposit box watches', i just wish that i could see a watch i like and go and buy it for the MRSP, just like everything else in life, it really grates me seeing the likes of the 26k and the 28 coming out and being snapped up, then seeing them sit in grey dealers windows at twice the MRSP, i know it's the way Panerai want to do things, to create a desire and a premium for their watches, but for guys like me who struggle to pay the MRSP it just annoys me seeing the damn things ending up as some kind of investment or present to the ADs big customers
Its worth what someone is prepared to pay for it ...... Stocks,cars,"luxury" watches....and dare I say it,even property !!! ( Hello bankers !!! ).

Now your very own 233 is "protected" in value by desirability,price increases and lowish numbers.Used value a bit down due to mismanagement of some sectors of the financial and economic world,but as the recession eases,so will the used value increase.

BUT,I argee,sorry....agree .. ,with the fact that 28s and 26s end up directly in grey market dealers "cheap" shelves.Thats unfortuanate.I also agree that being able to buy the likes of eg. a 127 at MRSP.That would be wonderful.Now we get to what is paid on the secondary market again !!! Lower,but still high.

Old 9 May 2009, 10:12 PM   #86
argee1977
"TRF" Member

I'm not meaning that they should produce 3000 of each model every year, but you could easily have something like the 26, with 1000 produced to start with, then as the demand increases you produce another 500 for those on lists, then maybe another if there's a demand. I guess i'm just a bit blind when it comes to the Special Editions, they release so many of them that they're not really special, they're just standard models with a little tweak, so why not get rid of the SE and just re-arrange the production numbers?

Old 9 May 2009, 10:21 PM   #87
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not meaning that they should produce 3000 of each model every year, but you could easily have something like the 26, with 1000 produced to start with, then as the demand increases you produce another 500 for those on lists, then maybe another if there's a demand. I guess i'm just a bit blind when it comes to the Special Editions, they release so many of them that they're not really special, they're just standard models with a little tweak, so why not get rid of the SE and just re-arrange the production numbers?
I like the SEs with limited numbers.Look,they dont have any shortage of buyers !! BUT,distribution should be equal to the ADs !! My AD was told by Vendome ,when enquered about a certain model that he wasnt even allowed to ask about that one !! AND when he asked about a certain SE he was told..."Those are reserved for their boutiques !!! NOW THAT ... IS ABSOLUTE BS !!!

Old 9 May 2009, 10:50 PM   #88
brainbizz

That is the problem I have with Panerai. All ADs are not equal. You would think that they would take care of their better customers regardless of which AD. I am afraid that Panerai and myself are coming to a crossroads. If they cannot produce a 292 after all the money I have spent with them I am going to be unhappy. I have only had the watch ordered for over a year. Its not that the watch is a must have it is just the principle that I have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on their watches and should receive some perks. At least one would think otherwise why pre-order and have lists? It just seems like business 101 take care of your good customers.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 10:57 PM   #89
argee1977
"TRF" Member

If you want a 292 then the best bet is paneristi.com, there's usually 3 or 4 of them on the sales page, there's one that's as fresh as you can get, not even picked up from the AD yet!

Old 9 May 2009, 11:15 PM   #90
brainbizz

I could easily get the watch on the secondary market but I should not have to. It is the principle that I am a very good customer and in my mind there should be perks. It is possible this is where Panerai and myself disagree. They may have enough customers and do not care. Not the way I personally do business. I am a big boy and do not take it personally and understand thats life but it is my money and I have been eyeballing some APs. Who knows just would like some loyalty.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote