The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 May 2023, 11:22 AM   #151
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

I agree with another member here, the Black Bay Pro does not make me miss my Rolex and it accompanies my more rugged vacations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 06:31 AM   #152
DBCooper07
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Sub is my daily. I earned it. I insure it. I wear it!

:)
Old 31 May 2023, 08:16 AM   #153
Navin Johnson
"TRF" Member

I wear my Sub date daily but I wouldn’t consider it a beater.
Navin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 09:04 AM   #154
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
... I don't need to disguise myself by wearing cheap watches.
That's a unique thing to say out loud.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 11:18 AM   #155
DD58
"TRF" Member

Yup 216570 is my everyday gardening friend my hiking pal my puppy fight club time keeper. I wear it while machining and building my cabinetry. Love it love the scratches and teeth marks from my pup. Reminds me of all the hiking with my wife and him. It will go to service and have the movement refreshed. And when I have kids it will accompany them through there life. It’s only a watch. My cars just my car. I’m only here for a short time and I enjoy everything I own. I do take care of all my stuff. My watch gets a weekly bath my cars the same. My chisels get sharpened once a month and my cnc is clean daily. But they get used.

DD58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 07:04 PM   #156
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
That's a unique thing to say out loud.

Seems like wearing something one wouldn't normally wear isn't being oneself. I guess in some circumstances there could be safety concerns. Generally speaking, I'd rather not be there.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 07:15 PM   #157
watchandbullion
"TRF" Member

I tend to take mine off for physical activities, but apart from that I have worn it everywhere.
watchandbullion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 01:58 AM   #158
suskompany
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss Z-Blue
I've started to. Incoming 116710ln is the perfect beater, for me.
suskompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 02:06 AM   #159
JarheadJim
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 43 & DSSD J/C
My SD43 has been on my wrist for the last three weeks, daily. But I've only owned it for three weeks too. :)
JarheadJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 03:13 AM   #160
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper07 View Post
Sub is my daily. I earned it. I insure it. I wear it!

:)
Same here, same watch too

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 10:30 AM   #161
RogerOP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchandbullion View Post
I tend to take mine off for physical activities, but apart from that I have worn it everywhere.
Then it’s not a beater!

We go through this description almost every time in these threads! 99% of people do not use a Rolex as a beater no matter what lol.

If you take it off due to an activity != beater. Only my G-Shock “King of Shock” counts as I put it on to get messy and damaged.

It’s nothing to just say “nah a Rolex is too worth getting trashed”
RogerOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 10:43 AM   #162
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by suskompany View Post
I've started to. Incoming 116710ln is the perfect beater, for me.

That’s a good choice — and welcome to TRF, Mike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 10:59 AM   #163
justn868
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTMII
I use my sub as my beater, GMT and DJ are my more casual wears.
justn868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 11:41 AM   #164
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
Since I bought my Ball Pilot GMT three weeks ago, it has become my daily wearer as well as my beater. My 16710 is taking a well deserved break. Here are the main reasons I've made that choice.

• The Ball Pilot GMT retails for less than $3k, so loss or damage wouldn't be nearly the disaster as losing or damaging my 16710.

• The Ball has both quick set date (via a crown pullout position) and jump 12 hour hand (either forward or backward, via two pushers).

• The Ball has tritium micro gas tubes on the dial and hands for reading the time in complete darkness 24 hours a day for about twenty years. This is important to me because I sleep with my watch on and like to check the time in the dark. The bezel has SuperLuminova lume.

• Both watches have COSC chronometer certification, and so far the Ball keeps better time than my Rolex on my wrist (the Rolex was serviced a year ago by the NY RSC).

• The Ball has 300 meters WR compared to 100 meters for my 16710.

Nice one!!

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
IG @bladeandwatch1
Old 1 June 2023, 11:41 AM   #165
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Really too many variables to answer the OP question, i.e. do you have a $7K or a $70K Rolex, would damaging it severly impact your finances, what kind of physical activity do you do?
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 11:46 AM   #166
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
I wear my Rolex most everywhere. I did not take it to Barcelona as we stayed in the gothic quarter and my wife asked me not to attract attention. Happy wife, happy life.

I did take 3 watches to Paris, a 6265, 16618 and a red sub. It was winter. COVID times. No crowds. No tourists… they are insured and I’m ok if something happens. I will consider carefully if the risk outweighs the pleasure I enjoy, wearing my watches. I have inexpensive watches I can wear. I will do that on rare occasions.

99.9% of the time I’m wearing a Rolex or AP.

I believe in enjoying them and situational awareness, unless I am going to be extremely uncomfortable with the environment (or my wife is going to be uncomfortable).

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
IG @bladeandwatch1
Old 1 June 2023, 06:30 PM   #167
KeobNepo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I would not call mine a beater, but i do wear it 24/7. Never take it off (except working out). Also on vacations (anywhere) on my wrist.
KeobNepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 07:25 PM   #168
A971
"TRF" Member

Just wore a yacht master on a ropes course….

Time here is short. Enjoy it

A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 12:31 PM   #169
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Wear one 24/7…

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 07:09 PM   #170
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

As the overall context of the original question was use of a beater, essentially using a different brand to receive damage as opposed to wearing a Rolex. This weekend I'm heading to a black belt camp wear I'm not certain of security of my watch while I'm in classes. I'll wear a Tudor instead. Now this isn't wearing a beater but it is mitigating chance of expensive loss by theft if a situation I'll have less than adequate control of my belongings amongst a group of strangers. Discretion is the better part of valor as they say.

Old 2 June 2023, 07:35 PM   #171
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
As the overall context of the original question was use of a beater, essentially using a different brand to receive damage as opposed to wearing a Rolex. This weekend I'm heading to a black belt camp wear I'm not certain of security of my watch while I'm in classes. I'll wear a Tudor instead. Now this isn't wearing a beater but it is mitigating chance of expensive loss by theft if a situation I'll have less than adequate control of my belongings amongst a group of strangers.

The original question was almost precisely what you’ve described - less so about the watch being put through it’s paces and picking up wear & tear (which I’m completely fine with) but rather whether or not to use a Rolex for absolutely everything - including a trip such as the one you’ve described, where you may need to remove the watch, and at which point it becomes a security issue.

My ‘beater’ watches, I’d be happy to leave in a gym bag, hotel room, locker etc. I don’t want anything to happen to them, but if they were stolen I could replace. If one of my Rolex were stolen, I’d get monetary value back from my insurance but this doesn’t overcome the difficulty in obtaining the watches from an AD.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 07:37 PM   #172
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
Since I bought my Ball Pilot GMT three weeks ago, it has become my daily wearer as well as my beater. My 16710 is taking a well deserved break. Here are the main reasons I've made that choice.

• The Ball Pilot GMT retails for less than $3k, so loss or damage wouldn't be nearly the disaster as losing or damaging my 16710.

• The Ball has both quick set date (via a crown pullout position) and jump 12 hour hand (either forward or backward, via two pushers).

• The Ball has tritium micro gas tubes on the dial and hands for reading the time in complete darkness 24 hours a day for about twenty years. This is important to me because I sleep with my watch on and like to check the time in the dark. The bezel has SuperLuminova lume.

• Both watches have COSC chronometer certification, and so far the Ball keeps better time than my Rolex on my wrist (the Rolex was serviced a year ago by the NY RSC).

• The Ball has 300 meters WR compared to 100 meters for my 16710.

Stan, as you may know I'm a Ball fan but on the GMT I think they dropped the ball. I like everything about it except for one detail. That is the number of ticks on the face which is 72 instead of 60. I just can't understand how they could go for 10 minute increments for the 24 hour hand being more important than being able to accurately track minutes and seconds. Such a strange choice on Ball's part. It just makes no sense and reduces the usefulness of the watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
Torn between if I should use one of my Rolex as a beater watch over the summer - hiking, camping, sailing swimming etc - or opt for something else.

I’m usually happy putting any of my watches through their paces, and they all have the scars to prove it. However, I guess the way things are at the moment has me second guessing if I should use something less valuable during travels & adventures.

My reservation mainly relates to how easy it would be to replace something if lost/stolen - although all my watches are insured, it would be difficult for instance to source another 116610 unless going the used route, and a new sub would be an unknown wait via the AD.

I have been using less expensive watches (Seiko/Timex/Garmin) on my most recent trips and whilst Im still careful with these, I’m happy to leave them back at the hotel, or in a backpack when not required, worry free. The problem with this is that I always feel a little regretful that I’m not wearing one of my more favoured watches.

I have thought of picking something else up to bridge the gap between the two deltas - maybe a BB58 or P39 for instance, though I think I’d still feel the same.

Interested to hear how others approach this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
The original question was almost precisely what you’ve described - less so about the watch being put through it’s paces and picking up wear & tear (which I’m completely fine with) but rather whether or not to use a Rolex for absolutely everything - including a trip such as the one you’ve described, where you may need to remove the watch, and at which point it becomes a security issue.

My ‘beater’ watches, I’d be happy to leave in a gym bag, hotel room, locker etc. I don’t want anything to happen to them, but if they were stolen I could replace. If one of my Rolex were stolen, I’d get monetary value back from my insurance but this doesn’t overcome the difficulty in obtaining the watches from an AD.
The term "beater" implies something that receives a beating. I wouldn't consider loss due to theft a beating. If unsure of security then that makes sense. None of the activities described in the opening sentence of the thread would deter me from wearing my Rolex watches.

Old 3 June 2023, 01:07 AM   #173
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Stan, as you may know I'm a Ball fan but on the GMT I think they dropped the ball. I like everything about it except for one detail. That is the number of ticks on the face which is 72 instead of 60. I just can't understand how they could go for 10 minute increments for the 24 hour hand being more important than being able to accurately track minutes and seconds. Such a strange choice on Ball's part. It just makes no sense and reduces the usefulness of the watch.
Wow! I hadn't noticed that. You're absolutely right; the 72 ticks make no sense. Now I'm tempted to have the dial silkscreened adding a separate 60 tick ring just inboard of the 72 tick ring.

Edit - Hmm. On further reflection, the tritium micro gas tubes would make screening the dial problematic. I guess I'll have to live with dial as it is.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 01:28 AM   #174
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seems like wearing something one wouldn't normally wear isn't being oneself. I guess in some circumstances there could be safety concerns. Generally speaking, I'd rather not be there.
I have 9 watches that get more or less equal wrist time. Only two are Rolexes, so I don't "normally" wear a Rolex. I am myself today and most every day.

zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 01:32 AM   #175
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
They are meant to be worn, WEAR IT!
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 02:37 AM   #176
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I have 9 watches that get more or less equal wrist time. Only two are Rolexes, so I don't "normally" wear a Rolex. I am myself today and most every day.

Yeah, I rotate between 2 Rolex’s and 2 Omegas so this talk about wearing your watch every day doesn’t apply to me. I do wear a watch every day, just not the same one.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 07:20 AM   #177
KeithP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK 126900/SM 300M
I wear my Air-King or Seamaster 300m regardless of what I may be doing. And they represent A LOT of money to me. All the more reason to enjoy them every second I can. Life is short.
Don’t think of them as “beaters” though.
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 07:33 AM   #178
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I wear them daily. I don’t buy anything I can’t afford to lose (and they’re also insured).
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2023, 08:08 AM   #179
fredos_rolex
"TRF" Member

G-Shocks were made to be beaters. I have 5 of them because I think they're fun, and inexpensive, and damn near indestructible. When I'm doing outdoor activities involving physical exertion or equipment, I'm almost always wearing a G-Shock.

Some people interpret daily wear, ho-hum activities as beater-territory, that's a different animal as far as I'm concerned. I have my Air-King among several other brands for that.

My DJs and Cartier I usually only wear for formal or special occasions, or depending on the setting, with my business suit at work.
fredos_rolex is offline   Reply With Quote