The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 May 2023, 12:06 AM   #91
zengineer
"TRF" Member

You don't need to spend $30k, $20k or even whatever current msrp on a Daytona is to get a special chronograph. I bought a new old stock Moonwatch and found genuine Omega service dial and hands to do this one. It isn't a "real" LE Speedmaster but I honestly don't care about such things. I have about $6500 in it. The Tokyo Olympics models are another option. I like the new release Daytona but never cared for the first gen ceramic model and can't warm up to a cartoon character on a watch even if there is historical significance.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2023, 12:28 AM   #92
Za1
"TRF" Member

For a chronograph in my collection I would chose this one hands down…that is, if it looked balanced on my 6.75 wrist but unfortunately a bit too big .
Between the snoopy and the Daytona I would go with the Daytona without much enthusiasm…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Za1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2023, 01:20 AM   #93
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Snoopy, super fun and way way more rare than a daytona, just needs a bracelet which you can now get with the comfort adjustable clasp.
RolexBHR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2023, 01:20 AM   #94
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
The snoop dawg!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2023, 01:28 AM   #95
stevestil
"TRF" Member

daytona without question/hesitation.
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2023, 03:01 AM   #96
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Between the two mention, the Snoopy 3 and the Daytona 116500, I would choose the Snoopy.

Between the Daytona 16520 and the Snoopy, a 16520 usually wins with me.

Between the Daytona 116520 and the Snoopy, that's a closer call.

I hope to get the chance to try the newly released Daytons 126500 one day and compare it to the Speedy cal 321 which is currently my favourite Speedmaster.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 11:28 AM   #97
Saxonite
"TRF" Member

Between snoopy and 116500ln, the Daytona for sure. I’m not a fan of the snoopy watches. I think a better comparison is the Daytona vs 321. Between those watches I think I’d go with the 321. I’d probably also choose the 321 over the new 126500ln as well.
Saxonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 12:33 PM   #98
kl2244
"TRF" Member

Both watches are perfect for me, but I’d choose the Daytona.
kl2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 01:23 PM   #99
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
I simply do not get the Daytona thing. I don’t find them an appealing watch, nor do I see the hype. So the Speedy for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 01:34 PM   #100
Ghost410
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
You don't need to spend $30k, $20k or even whatever current msrp on a Daytona is to get a special chronograph. I bought a new old stock Moonwatch and found genuine Omega service dial and hands to do this one. It isn't a "real" LE Speedmaster but I honestly don't care about such things. I have about $6500 in it. The Tokyo Olympics models are another option. I like the new release Daytona but never cared for the first gen ceramic model and can't warm up to a cartoon character on a watch even if there is historical significance.

This is exactly what I wanted to do with my speedy until I sold it
Ghost410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 02:17 PM   #101
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Have you considered a 321. Not gimmicky (easily a daily) and perfect in nearly every way.

This is the first thing I thought! Great choice!
Old 11 May 2023, 02:52 PM   #102
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
I would get the Daytona first if you don't have one......then add the Omega, and another recommendation/idea is adding a 321 instead of the Snoopy
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 10:34 AM   #103
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost410 View Post
This is exactly what I wanted to do with my speedy until I sold it
I have a TinTin service dial squirreled away to put in my standard Moonwatch one of these days.
Old 12 May 2023, 10:37 AM   #104
drew0020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
I simply do not get the Daytona thing. I don’t find them an appealing watch, nor do I see the hype. So the Speedy for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same, personally I think it’s the definition of average. I’m guessing it’s the exclusivity. I mean what else could it be? Lol
drew0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 11:12 AM   #105
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexjackson View Post
Snoopy can go to the moon, but can you take a shower with it??? It’s a no for me.
You certainly can, according to every Omega certified watchmaker there is.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 02:10 PM   #106
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
Same, personally I think it’s the definition of average. I’m guessing it’s the exclusivity. I mean what else could it be? Lol

The Daytona from the sixties was passable — but it did nothing more than the Hamilton Chrono B (or any of the other myriad of chronographs). For a very long time since it’s just been meh.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 04:50 PM   #107
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Daytona
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 07:07 PM   #108
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Snoopy seems equivalent to placing a picture of the Hulk on a green Sub Date. A bit too much of a gimmick for me.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 07:24 PM   #109
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Snoopy seems equivalent to placing a picture of the Hulk on a green Sub Date. A bit too much of a gimmick for me.
The difference is the Snoopy is an actual award from Nasa that Omega are very proud of. It's not a gimmick.

Silver Snoopy Award

Awarded for outstanding achievements related to human flight safety or mission success. Presented personally by astronauts as their own recognition of excellence. Below from Wikipedia.

Country United States
Presented by NASA Astronauts
First awarded 1968

The Silver Snoopy award is a special honor awarded to NASA employees and contractors for outstanding achievements related to human flight safety or mission success. The award certificate states that it is "In Appreciation" "For professionalism, dedication and outstanding support that greatly enhanced space flight safety and mission success. The award depicts Snoopy, a character from the Peanuts comic strip created by Charles M. Schulz.

The award is given personally by NASA astronauts as it represents the astronauts' own recognition of excellence. It is presented at the workplace of the recipient with the recipient's coworkers present. The Silver Snoopy award is one of several awards overseen by the Space Flight Awareness (SFA) program at NASA.

The award consists of a sterling silver "Silver Snoopy" lapel pin flown during a NASA mission, a commendation letter (stating the mission the Silver Snoopy pin was flown on) and a signed, framed Silver Snoopy certificate. Snoopy decals and posters are also given to the recipient.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 07:26 PM   #110
nss04
"TRF" Member

When the hype is over, I think it will be a Daytona all day long
nss04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 08:47 PM   #111
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nss04 View Post
When the hype is over, I think it will be a Daytona all day long
Hype for which one...and in what decade will it be over?

Old 15 May 2023, 02:19 AM   #112
cv5
Banned

Watch: Omega Seamaster
Daytona absolutely!
cv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 05:00 AM   #113
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
The one for adults. Daytona

Ironically a childish comment

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 05:02 AM   #114
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Daytona. I like them both, but I don’t think I would wear the Snoopy much as I just don’t know if I’d like having Snoopy on my watch dial.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 05:36 AM   #115
Cassidyanne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdevoe26 View Post
Snoopy vs. Daytona? I take the Daytona...but if your comparing the 321 vs. Daytona....than hands down the 321....love this watch
LOL!! I have both the 45th and 50th Anniversary Snoopy’s along with the current Daytona and a Zenith Daytona. Would choose all of them way before a 321.
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 06:08 AM   #116
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
The difference is the Snoopy is an actual award from Nasa that Omega are very proud of. It's not a gimmick.

Silver Snoopy Award

Awarded for outstanding achievements related to human flight safety or mission success. Presented personally by astronauts as their own recognition of excellence. Below from Wikipedia.

CountryUnited States

Presented byNASA Astronauts

First awarded1968

The Silver Snoopy award is a special honor awarded to NASA employees and contractors for outstanding achievements related to human flight safety or mission success. The award certificate states that it is "In Appreciation" "For professionalism, dedication and outstanding support that greatly enhanced space flight safety and mission success. The award depicts Snoopy, a character from the Peanuts comic strip created by Charles M. Schulz.

The award is given personally by NASA astronauts as it represents the astronauts' own recognition of excellence. It is presented at the workplace of the recipient with the recipient's coworkers present. The Silver Snoopy award is one of several awards overseen by the Space Flight Awareness (SFA) program at NASA.

The award consists of a sterling silver "Silver Snoopy" lapel pin flown during a NASA mission, a commendation letter (stating the mission the Silver Snoopy pin was flown on) and a signed, framed Silver Snoopy certificate. Snoopy decals and posters are also given to the recipient.
I don't think anyone here doesn't understand the origin of the Snoopy/NASA relationship, and even if they somehow don't it isn't likely why the watch simply doesn't appeal to them. I'd buy a Tshirt with the logo or wear a Snoopy award baseball hat. I just don't like that sort of thing on a watch. I like many of the Speedmaster Apollo-related LE's and grew up fascinated with the moon landing missions. But give me some discrete text and/or a unique color when it's a $20k watch.

Old 21 May 2023, 06:14 AM   #117
biza
Banned

Daytona for me. Good luck!
biza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 08:10 AM   #118
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I don't think anyone here doesn't understand the origin of the Snoopy/NASA relationship, and even if they somehow don't it isn't likely why the watch simply doesn't appeal to them. I'd buy a Tshirt with the logo or wear a Snoopy award baseball hat. I just don't like that sort of thing on a watch. I like many of the Speedmaster Apollo-related LE's and grew up fascinated with the moon landing missions. But give me some discrete text and/or a unique color when it's a $20k watch.

Then maybe NASA should've used just text instead of the figure of Snoopy in their award. Rolex is using baby coloured dials, bubbles, jigsaw puzzles, upside down GMT, and ridiculously thick divers just to attract more attention to it's expensive watches and you want Omega to use text. Can't imagine what Rolex or AP would do if they had achieved any similar awards. I do understand this thing doesn't appeal to some people, some are more conservative the higher the price of the watch is.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 08:29 AM   #119
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
Then maybe NASA should've used just text instead of the figure of Snoopy in their award. Rolex is using baby coloured dials, bubbles, jigsaw puzzles, upside down GMT, and ridiculously thick divers just to attract more attention to it's expensive watches and you want Omega to use text. Can't imagine what Rolex or AP would do if they had achieved any similar awards. I do understand this thing doesn't appeal to some people, some are more conservative the higher the price of the watch is.
It's just not for me. It's really that simple. I don’t want Omega to change.

Rolex on the other hand...I have a few things I'd like they to get their head out of their rear end about.

Old 21 May 2023, 08:32 AM   #120
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
No date, no go . Love my Omega Mark II reissue over these two hypsters.
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote