The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2023, 03:52 AM   #31
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I don’t aspire to the “beater concept”. While I wouldn’t say I baby my watches, I do practice wrist awareness, even when I’m wearing my SKX.

Generally speaking, if I’m doing anything that can result in serious dings or scratches to my watches, I’m not wearing them. YMMV
Some kind of manual labor, yes, but for normal life we don't know when dings will come. They're as likely to be gotten in the kitchen or getting in and out of a car as anywhere else.
East of Eden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 03:56 AM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
Some kind of manual labor, yes, but for normal life we don't know when dings will come. They're as likely to be gotten in the kitchen or getting in and out of a car as anywhere else.
Exactly what I said.

Practice wrist awareness and I don't wear them for things where I know my watches are likely to get mangled.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 03:59 AM   #33
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I wore my Sub for 2 years doing everything, aside from showering as I really never had an urge to shower with my watch on.

That thing was an absolute champ.

I only have 2 Rolex now - an Explorer and GMT. The Explorer I have used swimming, climbing, hiking, gym, etc... I do not go out of the way to use it in every activity. I have a G-Shock that I use on a daily basis as my workout watch. I just got the GMT and don't really see me beating it around. I have several other watches to rotate it with and I just don't see it as that type of watch.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 03:59 AM   #34
Jawnz
"TRF" Member

Yes this is my beater. Sapphire Crystal and already got it’s fair share of nicks and scratches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 04:08 AM   #35
Mountain
"TRF" Member

Whatever I’m doing, I wear my explorer. I don’t really think too much about it, but it’s never suffered as a result. Hiking and mountaineering are probably the two activities most likely to stress it, but so far, so good.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 05:17 AM   #36
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I love the concept of a beater watch.
Buy one that you look forward to wearing and beating.
I love getting rough with my casioak and my hamilton field.
Old 25 May 2023, 05:19 AM   #37
Norbert
"TRF" Member

My travel watch is a Zenith Daytona. Its been to almost every holiday for me. Its my lucky charm, if you will. Its old enough that it doesn't get much attention, except for watch heads. Then its a conversation starter.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 05:22 AM   #38
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

I don't call it a beater, but my BLRO is my daily. Gardening, working on cars, vaca, and the office.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 05:22 AM   #39
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Absolutely 124060 takes a likin' and keeps on ticking
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 05:24 AM   #40
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
get a beater
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 05:29 AM   #41
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
I wear my Rolexes exclusively; for everything. One exception is when I venture into shady areas, such as parts of downtown Chicago. I have a great beater that I like to wear. Ultra light titanium with hardened surface. indestructible and easily replaceable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 70603291989__CB58C0CA-DE6E-420B-B3D7-7AA8F4CB6E3B.jpeg (35.6 KB, 284 views)
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 05:39 AM   #42
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
Torn between if I should use one of my Rolex as a beater watch over the summer - hiking, camping, sailing swimming etc - or opt for something else.

I’m usually happy putting any of my watches through their paces, and they all have the scars to prove it. However, I guess the way things are at the moment has me second guessing if I should use something less valuable during travels & adventures.

My reservation mainly relates to how easy it would be to replace something if lost/stolen - although all my watches are insured, it would be difficult for instance to source another 116610 unless going the used route, and a new sub would be an unknown wait via the AD.

I have been using less expensive watches (Seiko/Timex/Garmin) on my most recent trips and whilst Im still careful with these, I’m happy to leave them back at the hotel, or in a backpack when not required, worry free. The problem with this is that I always feel a little regretful that I’m not wearing one of my more favoured watches.

I have thought of picking something else up to bridge the gap between the two deltas - maybe a BB58 or P39 for instance, though I think I’d still feel the same.

Interested to hear how others approach this.
Your list of activities would make me so happy to have a favorite watch on my wrist, and like all of us insane enthusiasts around here, Rolex is almost always my favorite.

That said, I occasionally wear a G shock or Damasko for activities that I'm sure will lead to dings, dents and bangs. Taking my kids to a water park, is for example a g shock type activity. But hiking, sailing, swimming, camping!? Those are perfect activities for a Rolex sports watch.

As for insurance, if your watch is insured and appraised correctly, it can be sourced within a day. It's a 116610 not a Paul Newman Daytona haha.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 05:44 AM   #43
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Rolex is the ultimate beater.
My thought is, I want that watch to accompany me on every adventure and when I look at it I know that it did. One day it may go to someone close to you… wouldn’t it be great to know it will continue its journey while carrying your stories.

Btw I have tried to give lesser watches an opportunity, it doesn’t work.
Old 25 May 2023, 05:44 AM   #44
Nana7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
The Sub and G shock are the go to daily drivers.
Nana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 05:46 AM   #45
slide13
"TRF" Member

I would want a nice watch with me, a Casio/Seiko/Garmin isn't going to satisfy.

I would be inclined to just wear the Rolex myself probably. I get the point that it's hard to replace in the current market but really, what are the chances something will happen....pretty slim I'd say and I'd be willing to take that risk.

Now, that being said, if that concern is too much for you I'd get a good "beater". Something like a Tudor or Omega maybe. A nice watch but one that is easily replaced.

That is one of the things I love about my BB58. I wear it without worry these days because it's just not overly expensive and it would be easily replaced if anything happened. Put mine on a Tropic for summer and couldn't be happier. It's my only watch currently and while I'm on the list for a Sub, if my name came up now I think I'd pass because I just really like my BB58 and never have to worry about it in any way.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 05:50 AM   #46
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Of course, the things must be used.

Here we beat everything.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 06:05 AM   #47
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Of course, the things must be used.

Here we beat everything.

That’s amazing!! Love the car, love the watch!! I’m surprised the bracelet is broken. That’s a testament to it’s tough was I presume!!

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 06:14 AM   #48
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
If I fall off a bike hard enough to damage a tough SS watch I have bigger things to worry about, and anyway it's insured.
You don't have to fall that hard to cause a lot of damage to a stainless steel watch.

I hate to tell you but your stainless steel Rolex isn't really that tough.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 06:32 AM   #49
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
You don't have to fall that hard to cause a lot of damage to a stainless steel watch.

I hate to tell you but your stainless steel Rolex isn't really that tough.
I agree, but this is relative, right? It's still a tough watch compared to similar watches. Any better than an omega SMP? It's probably the same.

I think the only watch that stands a better chance is a Sinn or Damasko and that's mostly from an aesthetic standpoint. Any impact serious enough to cause really bad visual damage to the case would affect any automatic watch the same way.

I think the Tegimented and Ice Hardened steel that Sinn and Damasko use are incredibly tough, however the impact could damage the hairspring or other internal parts.

If impact damage is a real concern best to invest $100 in a g shock. That's my waterpark watch.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 06:39 AM   #50
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I agree, but this is relative, right? It's still a tough watch compared to similar watches. Any better than an omega SMP? It's probably the same.

I think the only watch that stands a better chance is a Sinn or Damasko and that's mostly from an aesthetic standpoint. Any impact serious enough to cause really bad visual damage to the case would affect any automatic watch the same way.

I think the Tegimented and Ice Hardened steel that Sinn and Damasko use are incredibly tough, however the impact could damage the hairspring or other internal parts.

If impact damage is a real concern best to invest $100 in a g shock. That's my waterpark watch.

Same here. I just don’t see the point of wearing a 10k watch for those activities.

The trails I used to ride a lot had a high granite composition. That stuff will ruin a sapphire crystal in short order if you land watch first.

It’s like sandpaper.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 06:47 AM   #51
Iyellalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sprite GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
Tomorrow is not promised. Wear your Rolex.
That is true. You bought a watch to wear and enjoy. You will be thinking why you didn’t bring it to vacation?
Iyellalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 06:52 AM   #52
Dukes_06
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715
Black Bay Pro. I use it for golf, park with kids, walk the dog, boating, etc. I’ve never had that itch where I wish I was wearing one of my higher end watches. It’s that nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 84B7C317-0585-414B-9D47-C419F6AF4408.jpeg (103.5 KB, 243 views)
Dukes_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 06:56 AM   #53
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
Tomorrow is not promised. Wear your Rolex.
^^^ This
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 07:03 AM   #54
al503
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40, SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I don’t aspire to the “beater concept”. While I wouldn’t say I baby my watches, I do practice wrist awareness, even when I’m wearing my SKX.

Generally speaking, if I’m doing anything that can result in serious dings or scratches to my watches, I’m not wearing them. YMMV
x2. I wear one desk diving every day but don't have the need to wear any watch when doing yardwork, working on the car, etc.
al503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 07:05 AM   #55
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
G-Shock and most recently my MoonSwatch occupy my beater category at the moment. Although I don't baby my Rolex/Tudor/IWC, I would avoid wearing them in situations where they would take a real beating or possibly be damaged or lost.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 07:07 AM   #56
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
Since I bought my Ball Pilot GMT three weeks ago, it has become my daily wearer as well as my beater. My 16710 is taking a well deserved break. Here are the main reasons I've made that choice.

• The Ball Pilot GMT retails for less than $3k, so loss or damage wouldn't be nearly the disaster as losing or damaging my 16710.

• The Ball has both quick set date (via a crown pullout position) and jump 12 hour hand (either forward or backward, via two pushers).

• The Ball has tritium micro gas tubes on the dial and hands for reading the time in complete darkness 24 hours a day for about twenty years. This is important to me because I sleep with my watch on and like to check the time in the dark. The bezel has SuperLuminova lume.

• Both watches have COSC chronometer certification, and so far the Ball keeps better time than my Rolex on my wrist (the Rolex was serviced a year ago by the NY RSC).

• The Ball has 300 meters WR compared to 100 meters for my 16710.

Interesting. I wonder if this will last. I know you’ve had a huge amount of wear out the 16710. I feel like there’s no reason for you too just not wear your better, or favourite watch.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 07:09 AM   #57
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
Torn between if I should use one of my Rolex as a beater watch over the summer - hiking, camping, sailing swimming etc - or opt for something else.

I’m usually happy putting any of my watches through their paces, and they all have the scars to prove it. However, I guess the way things are at the moment has me second guessing if I should use something less valuable during travels & adventures.

My reservation mainly relates to how easy it would be to replace something if lost/stolen - although all my watches are insured, it would be difficult for instance to source another 116610 unless going the used route, and a new sub would be an unknown wait via the AD.

I have been using less expensive watches (Seiko/Timex/Garmin) on my most recent trips and whilst Im still careful with these, I’m happy to leave them back at the hotel, or in a backpack when not required, worry free. The problem with this is that I always feel a little regretful that I’m not wearing one of my more favoured watches.

I have thought of picking something else up to bridge the gap between the two deltas - maybe a BB58 or P39 for instance, though I think I’d still feel the same.

Interested to hear how others approach this.
the great thing about being a collector is having multiple watches to wear so none get beaten up...
Old 25 May 2023, 07:12 AM   #58
Srct
"TRF" Member

I wear my LV most of the time and have done for the last 6 years - its tough enough and the dings it has picked up don’t worry me
Srct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 07:18 AM   #59
JJGreen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675 or 1016
I do, yes. But beater watch is honestly the highest praise I give to a watch. It's means that you can enjoy it doing just about anything and everything. I just bought another beater, the Tudor 54. It's amazing, comfortable, nice looking, water proof. I wear a Rolex to the beach, pool, yard work, whatever!
JJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 07:25 AM   #60
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Do you wear your Rolex as a ‘beater’?

I wear my Rolex 24/7. Normally I forget I’ve even got it on when going to do something. I don’t scrape my wrist against concrete walls or asphalt whether I’m wearing a watch or not, so no reason to worry.

It’s a watch not a deity. It belongs on a wrist and not a pedestal.

I highly doubt most posters here that are afraid to wear their watch during activities, even know what actual labor intensive work is. Take your Rolex off to walk your dog!? Lmao!! Really? That’s a strenuous labor intensive job that will threaten the integrity of your watch!?

Many here proclaim they can’t stand the hype and what Rolex has become. They also claim Rolex are not at all an investment but then they play right into it because their watch has got to be kept in pristine condition. Why exactly? So it will retain as much value as possible in the future?

Rolex service will bring it back looking like new anyways. So you all require a non polished example? Seems to align with the most sought after vintage pieces for sale these days more than the spirit of Rolex. Which in turn seems to me more an investment.

I am curious why all of you saying you take it off for all sorts of activities even purchased a Rolex, or multiple Rolex? If not for the hype or to flex the name I can only think of three other reasons. Aesthetics, time keeping and durability.

It’s a watch. It’s built for a purpose. Wear it and enjoy it.

For the record, I seem to notice a lot more threads about “severe” damage that happened by those that treat it like a baby duck than the ones that wear their watch everyday through whatever they’re doing. Example, the guy that put his watch on his hat to keep it from touching the kitchen counter, only to grab the hat and throw the watch onto his tile floor. That wouldn’t have happened if it had been on his wrist.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote