The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2023, 05:09 AM   #121
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I am still half looking out for an explorer, that will be my next watch. Until then I wear my diver everyday, for pretty much everything.

An explorer on OF would offer much the same durability and go everywhere functionality.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 05:28 AM   #122
gsg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I am neither but wear all three of my Rolex while mountainbiking without a worry. I’ve been riding for 27 years, now retired in the self proclaimed Mountainbike Capital of the World. Last night I did a class at my school teaching young kids how to shred, today I’ll be helping set up at the Bentonville BikeFest, talked to some of the GBMN chaps there yesterday.
I am not rich, stupid, or playing at it, just a guy totally immersed in the mountainbike lifestyle who likes Rolex watches and isn’t afraid to use them.
To all the people that say they wear a Rolex watch while mountain biking, I would like to see what is it that you call mountain biking. If you are doing any serious trail riding, I can guarantee you that you would not be wearing a heavy metal timepiece pounding on your wrist. Maybe for a leisure stroll down the street to buy the newspaper, that might be ok. But for any serious riding? no sir. I cringe when I see people posting pictures with a rolex on a mountainbike, I know they are not a skilled cyclist and just posing.
gsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 05:35 AM   #123
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsg View Post
To all the people that say they wear a Rolex watch while mountain biking, I would like to see what is it that you call mountain biking. If you are doing any serious trail riding, I can guarantee you that you would not be wearing a heavy metal timepiece pounding on your wrist. Maybe for a leisure stroll down the street to buy the newspaper, that might be ok. But for any serious riding? no sir. I cringe when I see people posting pictures with a rolex on a mountainbike, I know they are not a skilled cyclist and just posing.
It's just the internet man.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 05:58 AM   #124
Timtower
"TRF" Member

I have a gmt 16710 that I wear all the time. Gardening, beach, sailing, you name it. My watch has been there and done that and keeps on ticking and looking good 👍🏼
Timtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 06:12 AM   #125
CVrider
"TRF" Member

My ExpII is currently getting the most daily use. Including mounting biking

CVrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 06:18 AM   #126
SvenNikolai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVrider View Post
My ExpII is currently getting the most daily use. Including mounting biking

I think that is great!
SvenNikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 06:33 AM   #127
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenNikolai View Post
I think that is great!
But..... it's not a real mountain, it's just a small hill!

j/k I think it's great too
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 11:31 AM   #128
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Yes I wear a 116610lv and a 116610ln as a beater in the gym in the club etc etc also do the same with my black bays
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 12:51 PM   #129
Jawnz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
Amazing! Would love to pick something pre-ceramic up, but can’t get my head around the current prices which in most instances are more than new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will take a lot of searching and perseverance but deals are out there. You’ll have to do your research and buy the seller. I paid 2.5k less than what a new msrp date sub would run me. Plus this smaller case fits my wrist better.
Jawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 02:04 PM   #130
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:

I’m definitely not a skilled cyclist — but I have worn mine to war. Since then, I’ve worn mine rock climbing, kayaking, mountain climbing, spannering on trucks and cars, fencing, contracting, and a thousand other kinds of hard labour. I’m guessing they’ll cope with a bit of jolting about on a bike handlebar? Or am I missing some nuances of hard-core mountain biking?

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 02:23 PM   #131
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes you’re probably correct, beater may not be the entirely accurate way to describe those activities. I guess another term may have been a GADA watch.

By way of an example, I’ve had a couple of trips away this year - both in the UK and overseas. Activities have included scuba diving, pool, hiking, sailing…all of which the sub would be great for and could handle with ease. However, those trips also included some other activities, either training or running events where I wouldn’t wear a watch and it’d need to be left at the hotel or stashed in my rucksack during events or travel. This is where I see the risk described in my original post and has seen me leaving watches behind for the entire trip.

For diy around the house, I have other true ‘beaters’ that I can use! One of which may have been retired today though, my 10 y/o SKX taken for service which will cost more than the watch did originally!
I dragged my BLRO to Berlin last year and wore it the whole time…except for the marathon. I had my Garmin for that. No issues whatsoever; just stashed the Rolex, went and ran the race (or the runs in the days leading up to it), then swapped back when it was time to go out.

There’s always a risk, but it’s so small I find it’s worth it. I bought the watch to build memories with; much like the watch I inherited from my grandfather. It would be doing it a disservice to leave it behind. That’s was the whole point in buying it to begin with….a momento, a tool used to measure the minutes, days, and years of my life…something to tell the stories of where I’ve been and what I’ve done that can ultimately be passed along.
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 08:38 PM   #132
funkyjerry
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Of course, the things must be used.

Here we beat everything.

Gorgeous car with an amazing watch!! You sir are living the dream.

Wish list:
♛ GMT Master II 126710BLRO / 126710BLNR | ♛ Cosmograph Daytona 116505 | Ω Speedmaster "Silver Snoopy" | Patek Nautilus 5711 Tiffany
funkyjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 04:30 AM   #133
gsg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
But..... it's not a real mountain, it's just a small hill!

j/k I think it's great too
And a seven-lane-wide dirt road as well…

Same with climbing, I could see how you think it might be a romantic idea, that of you and your dependable tool watch out there in the outdoors, fighting against the elements... I get that. But do these CLIMBERS look like they could afford to have a Rolex? I am not talking about value and thrashing an expensive timepiece, you could through your iced out Patek into your kitchen-sink grinder if you like. I am talking about dedication and enjoyment of your sport. Having that heavy metal watch in your wrist could even be dangerous, if not limiting to your enjoyment. You might think you are Tenzing Norgay taking that sexy picture of you with your Rolex on, but don’t delude yourself thinking you are either a climber or a mountain biker. You are just posing and not serious about your sport.

All I am trying to say is, no matter what you think a beater is, there are some activities that are simply not fit for a Rolex.
Attached Images
File Type: png Climb 3.PNG (292.6 KB, 273 views)
File Type: png CLimb 7.PNG (281.5 KB, 275 views)
File Type: png Climb 5.PNG (102.4 KB, 282 views)
File Type: png Climb 4.PNG (88.9 KB, 279 views)
File Type: png Climb 9.PNG (103.3 KB, 278 views)
File Type: png Climb 8.PNG (103.4 KB, 278 views)
File Type: png climb 1.PNG (74.5 KB, 279 views)
gsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 08:13 AM   #134
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Well for something like that a Rolex or any watch would be a liability. That thing could get in the way or lead to injury. Wouldn't wear a wedding ring either for that matter.

Quote:
And a seven-lane-wide dirt road as well…

Same with climbing, I could see how you think it might be a romantic idea, that of you and your dependable tool watch out there in the outdoors, fighting against the elements... I get that. But do these CLIMBERS look like they could afford to have a Rolex? I am not talking about value and thrashing an expensive timepiece, you could through your iced out Patek into your kitchen-sink grinder if you like. I am talking about dedication and enjoyment of your sport. Having that heavy metal watch in your wrist could even be dangerous, if not limiting to your enjoyment. You might think you are Tenzing Norgay taking that sexy picture of you with your Rolex on, but don’t delude yourself thinking you are either a climber or a mountain biker. You are just posing and not serious about your sport.

All I am trying to say is, no matter what you think a beater is, there are some activities that are simply not fit for a Rolex.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 01:37 PM   #135
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
The only watch appropriate activity that I don’t wear certain watches is travel. My 5 digit polar and Sub would be too much of a pain to replace if lost. I travel with either my OP 34, BB 58, or my Oris diver.

So, I don’t have a beater watch, just a travel watch.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 01:41 PM   #136
Duke10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
Tomorrow is not promised. Wear your Rolex.

This

Duke10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 01:14 AM   #137
zengineer
"TRF" Member

If I was a real shoe enthusiast I guess I should have worn some nice designer loafers to review the paint shop sludge pump set up last week.

Old 29 May 2023, 01:29 AM   #138
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Heeding advice - Sub at home this afternoon in Lake District

nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 02:00 AM   #139
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
There's very little I do that would require a "beater." Sailing, swimming, diving, hiking, snow shoeing, cross country skiing are all things with little probability of causing damage to a watch. Working on the yard or minor carpentry as well aren't things that really require a beater watch. My question is what does require a beater watch?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 02:33 AM   #140
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The only beater I know is in my kitchen used to beat my scrambled eggs….
Best answer right here…
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 04:23 AM   #141
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
There's very little I do that would require a "beater." Sailing, swimming, diving, hiking, snow shoeing, cross country skiing are all things with little probability of causing damage to a watch. Working on the yard or minor carpentry as well aren't things that really require a beater watch. My question is what does require a beater watch?
Brick laying, heavy equipment, and truck repair where arms are in tight quarters...but really, sometimes a lower price casual watch just "goes" better with certain clothes in my mind. Today's choice...
Old 29 May 2023, 04:29 AM   #142
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Do you wear your Rolex as a ‘beater’?

Quote:

Football, running, cycling, climbing or sports which may require something tightly fitting on your arms such as a wetsuit - there’s plenty of activities I can think of where you wouldn’t want to wear a watch, not because the watch can’t handle it, but more so for comfort during said activity.

For me, as mentioned in the original post, it’s less the activity that is a concern. It’s more travelling on an activity filled trip, where certain activities might mean you need to leave the watch.

Traditionally, I’ve taken a ‘beater’ watch with me which i can leave at the hotel or throw in a bag/locker, and this risk is what causes a bit of doubt in my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 04:54 AM   #143
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

I wear my AK for a variety of activities, like scuba diving, paragliding, road biking and similar. I took it on my last international trip and I’ll take it to Switzerland next week, so I’m comfortable traveling with it.

For hiking, mountain biking, and sort of “rougher” or dirtier activities I wear a Garmin Descent, since it’s fun to see the stats. When working in the yard I generally don’t wear a watch.

I do more activities with the AK than with most of my other watches, but several are dressier and don’t have good WR, though I don’t consider the AK a beater.
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 06:18 AM   #144
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I wear it for most activities but exercise some common sense. If I am going to get completely filthy (like cleaning the grill or something with a car) or doing something where there is a reasonable chance I might really screw it up I take it off. I do leave it at home when I go running. Don't like the weight all slick with sweat sliding around on my wrist.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 08:26 AM   #145
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Do you wear your Rolex as a ‘beater’?

Quote:

I agree. For me there is very little. I work in an office all day. However, once a year, we clean one of our garages, which basically serves as a big shed for us. I put on a G-Shock for that.

I definitely don’t need a beater for swimming or going to the beach, that’s for sure. But I do wear an Apple Watch for biking or working out. It’s a better tool for the job. Plus, I want know what my heart rate, speed, and mileage are.

I occasionally wear a G-Shock for other tasks too, but ironically my G-Shock gets less wrist time than any watch I have. My Rolexes and Omegas are pretty much GADA (go anywhere, do anything) watches for me.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2023, 02:38 PM   #146
ramitimeout
"TRF" Member

i wear my rolex deepsea JC daily, dont take it off except when i go to the gym, wouln't call it a beater though
ramitimeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 04:03 AM   #147
JTL31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I don’t aspire to the “beater concept”. While I wouldn’t say I baby my watches, I do practice wrist awareness…

Generally speaking, if I’m doing anything that can result in serious dings or scratches to my watches, I’m not wearing them. YMMV
+ 1. In small part because I know this comment is also Norma approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I own 100 watches, so none of them will get beat up, not my Rolex, or my G shock, or anything in between. I will choose a cheaper one for heavy physical activities, or dirty work.

Kat
WOW ~ 100?!? Now I’m really curious to hear about your other watches besides your impressive Seiko collection! How many of those do you insure? My insurance agent would faint if I had a large amount of luxury watches, simply because he knows the KBB of my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I believe in the right tool for the right job. Obviously you can wear anything you own as you choose. But taking into account the activities, weather, and location I choose my watch to match...
I Agree! I use my Seiko & BB58 when I want a timing bezel as neither my OP or TT Explorer have one. My OP is up to the task for most activities, whereas I’m more selective when I wear the TT.
Old 30 May 2023, 04:07 AM   #148
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL31 View Post
+ 1. In small part because I know this comment is also Norma approved.

WOW ~ 100?!? Now I’m really curious to hear about your other watches besides your impressive Seiko collection! How many of those do you insure? My insurance agent would faint if I had a large amount of luxury watches, simply because he knows the KBB of my car!

I Agree! I use my Seiko & BB58 when I want a timing bezel as neither my OP or TT Explorer have one. My OP is up to the task for most activities, whereas I’m more selective when I wear the TT.
Indeed it is

IMG-20230527-WA0013.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 04:14 AM   #149
JTL31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Indeed it is
Make sure to clean those bezels on your Pepsi or SKX or it’ll get that gritty feeling and will be hard to turn.

Old 30 May 2023, 09:38 AM   #150
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Brick laying, heavy equipment, and truck repair where arms are in tight quarters...but really, sometimes a lower price casual watch just "goes" better with certain clothes in my mind. Today's choice...
Yes, I don't generally do engine work any more. I don't need to disguise myself by wearing cheap watches. Don't generally do brick laying either but I get the point.

Quote:
Football, running, cycling, climbing or sports which may require something tightly fitting on your arms such as a wetsuit - there’s plenty of activities I can think of where you wouldn’t want to wear a watch, not because the watch can’t handle it, but more so for comfort during said activity.

For me, as mentioned in the original post, it’s less the activity that is a concern. It’s more travelling on an activity filled trip, where certain activities might mean you need to leave the watch.

Traditionally, I’ve taken a ‘beater’ watch with me which i can leave at the hotel or throw in a bag/locker, and this risk is what causes a bit of doubt in my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wear my Rolex with a wetsuit, when swimming, cycling but not in sports as I don't think watches should be work when playing competitive(martial arts for example) sports.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote