The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 June 2023, 01:21 AM   #31
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
Actually it's Rolex creating the false economy by forcing dealers to sell at MSRP. The flippers are relying on actual supply and demand.

Agree. Flippers actually correct the market inefficiency that’s brought on by an artificial price ceiling.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 03:04 AM   #32
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkotic View Post
it's a 10k markup! that's insane. like why do i need to pay some low life flipper 10k.
You are right, you don't. You can spend 30k plus at AD on Jewelry. Pick your poison.

Also let's not call flippers low life, they doing nothing illegal. Supply and Demand.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 03:20 AM   #33
Osmin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that's insane. like why do i need to pay some low life flipper 10k.
So people like you get the watch, they can’t get by themselves. You saw how your interest was treated by the AD
Osmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 03:51 AM   #34
honuswagner13
"TRF" Member

How many of the new rose gold blue green dial SkyD's the AD will be allocated?? 1-2 per year is my assumption, am I correct?
honuswagner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 04:08 AM   #35
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
336934-0006
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 11:31 AM   #36
kokota
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad22 View Post
I got my sky dweller in march. It is the previous movement but a 2023 model.
Because it was sold in '23?
kokota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 09:01 PM   #37
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
New dials aside, i suspect the real change in the 9002 is they fixed the flaw with the command bezel properly.

That flaw is caused by bumping the watch too hard on something, a rail on the stairs in my case which broke the command bezel. Mines a 9001/2022 model on Jubilee.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 09:29 PM   #38
Auric Goldfinger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve099 View Post
New dials aside, i suspect the real change in the 9002 is they fixed the flaw with the command bezel properly.

That flaw is caused by bumping the watch too hard on something, a rail on the stairs in my case which broke the command bezel. Mines a 9001/2022 model on Jubilee.
Was there many cases on here with that issue? I remember only reading one or two.
Auric Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 09:33 PM   #39
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We'll agree to disagree on this one. Where is the real skill here and value being provided to the world other than "buying low selling high" creating a false economy.
I buy and sell watches. In your eyes this makes me a low life. That's something we will never agree on. Mind you, I have turned down a BLNR which my AD offered me from the vault when I walked in for something else, so your black and white distinctions probably say more about you than those who you chose to insult.

If you are ever lucky enough to buy a hot Rolex at MSRP and then decide you don't want it, presumably you'll sell it for the same or less than what you paid for it, even if the market price is double MSRP? Would be amusing when people queue up to tell you it's a fake.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 09:37 PM   #40
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I never get the demonization of people who are simply buying and selling watches.
They have something I don't. I want it. They must have somehow stolen my right to buy it. They are bad people. Rolex won't sell me one. It must be personal.

From time to time we see accounts in here of how that attitude plays out at an AD. Entertaining if nothing else.
Old 1 June 2023, 09:42 PM   #41
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve099 View Post
The changes are stated on the Rolex website.

From the website:
Enabling the display of the hours, minutes, seconds, the date and the month, as well as an additional time zone in 24-hour format, calibre 9002 includes the latest technical innovations that Rolex has brought to its movements – Chronergy escapement, Paraflex shock absorbers and a new oscillating weight with an optimized ball bearing.

Those of a mischievous mind might conclude that this brings the increasingly reported 32X "feature" to the Sky Dweller. A shame, but they don't all go wrong.
Old 1 June 2023, 09:43 PM   #42
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

No one is making anyone “buy” a Rolex. It’s probably better avoiding the brand if the buying environment around the brand is too competitive or is against a personal ethical standard.
There are plenty of nice watches at a discount that may be more inline with your buying principles.
Old 1 June 2023, 10:31 PM   #43
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
TLDR; we are all at fault.

There are actually multiple people at fault. It has been shown through the secondary price drop that began in 2Q2022 - 1Q2023 that the following is true.

1. Consumers such as yourself and myself

A lot more consumers now want Rolexes. They want more than ever and want it more than ever. Some are willing to pay market price. Some believe that they are only willing to pay retail. However, even the MSRP has been steadily increased. Reminder, the Omega speedmaster professional is available new at $5500-6000 grey while a stainless black daytona is almost $30k grey. It is the consumers mainly contributing to this, not the resellers.

2. Any part of the chain that increases demand

This could be influencers, marketers, Wall Street Journal, media, spectators, and anyone who contributes to increasing demand with additional content such as videos, articles, responses. They could be doing this unknowingly, not thinking about how their content of any kind may contribute to others wanting these products. But most are doing it knowingly to generate any kind of attention to their opinions.

3. Authorized Dealers

There are varying degrees of fault. Mainly lack of transparency and customer service training. They need better training to tell self professed "noobs" to scram. It could be more difficult than those doing it AP or Patek because Rolex has so many more points of sale (more than 1800) and are selling to so many people (more than 1.2m units). Why does it take the online forum to tell a consumer to let their blue-skydweller-dreams-at-retail die because they will need to spend enough money to climb over all the other people that deserve one more than them. Of course, ADs or reps are also guilty of selling to other resellers and delivering inconsistent customer experiences.

4. Brands

They know deep problems exist but have not really moved toward more resolutions that satisfy online forum goers everywhere. As far as I know, the majority of the Rolex buying public has less preferences on which stainless steel sports model they want. So it could be that the brand has less incentive to correct things. Plus they have Tudor too.

5. Resellers

Resellers have really shown that they are a function of supply and demand. Before the current craze, they were known for excellent discounts on most all models. In fact, today you can get many SKU's below retail price as well. Can't get that from a retailer.

OP, the only solution to get it at retail is just start climbing the list with your money or influence. Your money is simply not as good as others'.

Quote:
Got it, thanks. I now recall her also saying something like she's not sure if the blue dial will be available for the new release. I guess she can't say for sure (or most likely she doesn't even know) because once something gets discontinued it seems to become more precious.

A green dial that may be interesting, but I fell in love with the blue on SS. ho hum.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 11:08 PM   #44
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I believe the Steel sky dweller blue dial is more difficult to obtain than a steel Daytona, in most cases.

I have been told they are produced on fewer numbers. You would be better to go grey and pay the premium as you have next to no chance of obtaining one as a first purchase. You will be at the end of a long line.

The premium actually isn’t too bad. Can be had for around £5k over retail. When you consider what the buyer has likely had to spent you are getting a good deal.
Hulkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 11:19 PM   #45
Reikolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkhunter View Post
I believe the Steel sky dweller blue dial is more difficult to obtain than a steel Daytona, in most cases.

I have been told they are produced on fewer numbers. You would be better to go grey and pay the premium as you have next to no chance of obtaining one as a first purchase. You will be at the end of a long line.

The premium actually isn’t too bad. Can be had for around £5k over retail. When you consider what the buyer has likely had to spent you are getting a good deal.

True. The salesperson at my AD told me I had no chance of being allocated a blue dial sky dweller because they rarely ever get one.

I was told that they receive far, far more SS Daytona. Emphasis on far, far more. Like 10-12 pieces / delivery?

I was eventually allocated a black dial sky dweller on oyster bracelet though. Though it’s my grail watch, I stopped wearing it because it didn’t fit my lifestyle. I’m too clumsy an oaf to wear such a dressy, blingy piece. Dinged the bezel within days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reikolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 11:30 PM   #46
Reikolexguy
"TRF" Member

AD said 2023 Sky Dweller wasn't out yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
They have something I don't. I want it. They must have somehow stolen my right to buy it. They are bad people. Rolex won't sell me one. It must be personal.

From time to time we see accounts in here of how that attitude plays out at an AD. Entertaining if nothing else.

I’m extremely tempted to buy that TT white dial sky dweller now. Saw it in person and it’s a stunning configuration. Bonus? Now it is widely available at several G under MSRP.

Reikolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 12:24 AM   #47
narkotic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I buy and sell watches. In your eyes this makes me a low life. That's something we will never agree on. Mind you, I have turned down a BLNR which my AD offered me from the vault when I walked in for something else, so your black and white distinctions probably say more about you than those who you chose to insult.

If you are ever lucky enough to buy a hot Rolex at MSRP and then decide you don't want it, presumably you'll sell it for the same or less than what you paid for it, even if the market price is double MSRP? Would be amusing when people queue up to tell you it's a fake.
My apologies - I take back what I said. You aren't a low-life.

This thread has been eye opening into all sorts of facets : economics (supply / demand), opportunists ("flippers") and also the psychology of a person that buys something at retail and suddenly gets sick of it in a few months and wants to off load it and has to sell at this new inflated "market price" which then suddenly they're labeled as a flipper. Quite the paradigm.

Yeah - to be fair here back in the mid-2000's I was into Panerai / IWC and laughed at Rolex. I didn't like the aesthetic and the cringy attitude of rolex owners. They were also "affordable" back then but then suddenly in my early 40's i'm into Rolex and air cooled Porsches. I got the 993 at least lol.

Now my worry is, if the blue dial ends up being discontinued (which I don't think is the case here) it will skyrocket in value. But even if I want a Green one suddenly, it's not that easy either. Maybe I'll get lucky.
narkotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 12:32 AM   #48
narkotic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWoodster View Post
[B]TLDR; we are all at fault.

OP, the only solution to get it at retail is just start climbing the list with your money or influence. Your money is simply not as good as others'.
Well said. I guess I was looking at this like the ol' ticket scalpers and how the whole "if you can't beat em', join em'" thing happened with ticketmaster. Look at how much it costs now to go to a concert? Look what happened during the pandemic with people getting scared and buying up all the toilet paper and opportunists seeing opportunity lol. Hey you wanna wipe your butt? Only if you can afford it pal! lol (TMI here but then I filled the home with Bidets instead, life changing!)
narkotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 05:30 AM   #49
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Meanwhile, the 9002 movement definitely isn’t out yet but Rolex is still shipping watches with 9001 movements. So there are plenty of 2023 dated Skydwellers with 9001 movements.
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 08:11 AM   #50
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
There’s a Mint dial Skydweller on Jubilee being offered by a UK grey dealer on instagram but have no idea if it’s a “physical” watch or pure click bait….

Same dealer has a new YG GMT Master 2 on Jubilee “fresh from Dubai” Allegedly
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2023, 08:16 AM   #51
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
There’s a Mint dial Skydweller on Jubilee being offered by a UK grey dealer on instagram but have no idea if it’s a “physical” watch or pure click bait….

Same dealer has a new YG GMT Master 2 on Jubilee “fresh from Dubai” Allegedly

Definitely click bait.

Old 5 June 2023, 08:36 AM   #52
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikolexguy View Post
I’m extremely tempted to buy that TT white dial sky dweller now. Saw it in person and it’s a stunning configuration. Bonus? Now it is widely available at several G under MSRP.
Yes, it really is stunning. Relatively speaking, it's a "bargain" for its material worth over SS, and that's before we get to that remarkable dial and the superb legibility. I think it would be even better in TT RG. The TT Oyster is not at all uncomfortable (at least on me) but the Jubilee is in another league. I had mine switched and I've kept the Oyster.

Old 5 June 2023, 09:01 AM   #53
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My apologies - I take back what I said. You aren't a low-life.
Thank you for your civility.

I'm a happy flipper but I'm not a gratuitous gouger. I've had a couple of opportunities to go down that road but it just doesn't appeal to me. However, if I wanted to trade or consolidate I would sell any watch for as much as someone will pay me for it. I was thinking about consolidating a couple of my Rolex watches into a full RG Sky Dweller. My AD gave me one to try on and although it was achingly beautiful and had me practically drooling with desire, it didn't go with my build, arm or skin tone. It would have worn me.

I don't know for certain but I'm highly confident that the SS blue Sky Dweller is here for the duration. Rolex have just overhauled the range and it's still present. The new green dial looks great but I personally still prefer the blue.

On the subject of dealer allocation, my medium sized, privately owned AD has told me that on average (the operative word being average), they receive a PM Sky Dweller as and when it turns up, and they don't turn up very often. They get 1 TT per year and usually get each dial colour in turn. They receive 1 black SS and 1 white SS per year. They get 2 blue SS per year. All these numbers are ish. It can vary but the proportions stay the same.

Paradoxically, this makes the blue SS twice as common as the black SS and the white SS. It's the demand that skews it. They might be queuing down the street for black and white, but they're queuing to the moon for blue. While they are far from knee deep in SS Daytonas allocations, they arrive in much greater numbers than the SS Sky Dwellers.
Old 5 June 2023, 09:03 AM   #54
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Meanwhile, the 9002 movement definitely isn’t out yet but Rolex is still shipping watches with 9001 movements. So there are plenty of 2023 dated Skydwellers with 9001 movements.
I'd classify this is good news, but one would hope that those 32X gremlins have been banished by now. Time will tell.
Old 6 June 2023, 12:00 PM   #55
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

I’m just here because I want the green SkyD…have white dial on jubilee and absolutely love it but that green looks insane
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 02:43 PM   #56
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
I’m just here because I want the green SkyD…have white dial on jubilee and absolutely love it but that green looks insane
It's still the blue one for me, but I just bought one, so I'm biased!
Old 6 June 2023, 03:11 PM   #57
watchik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I haven’t seen a 2023 on the secondary market yet with the 9002 movement. Nor have I seen a green stainless skydweller. That said, any old stock 9001 movements sold now would get a 2023 card. So perhaps that is what you saw. That said, the 9001 and 9002 are virtually identical movements.

The difference between both movements was the spring, correct? So basically better resistance to magnetism? I believe the change is minimal, otherwise Rolex was going to use the opportunity to raise the price again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
watchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2023, 03:12 PM   #58
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

AD said 2023 Sky Dweller wasn't out yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchik View Post
The difference between both movements was the spring, correct? So basically better resistance to magnetism? I believe the change is minimal, otherwise Rolex was going to use the opportunity to raise the price again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is minimal. No difference to the watch case (thickness) or power reserve. I think they are preparing for an open case back at some point. And, even though I got a 9001, they charge you the 2023 price

Old 6 June 2023, 10:21 PM   #59
BespokebyBMO
Banned

Good to know
BespokebyBMO is offline   Reply With Quote